none
How to merge and split partitions and disks in win7

Question

• I have one disk with 320GB.
    It divide to 299GB and to 100MB which I want to merge.
    I got inside Administrative tools -> Computer Management ->  disk Management and I formated the 100MB drive.
    How can I merge it with the primery 320GB drive (and save the information on 320GB drive)?
    After that, How can I divide the 320GB to 2 160GB partitions?

• Edited by alooon Sunday, July 05, 2009 10:13 AM
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 10:11 AM

Answers

• In Disk Management:

1. Right-click the 100MB partition and Delete the volume you just formatted. This should leave you with ‘unallocated space’.

2. Right-click the main drive and choose Extend volume. This should allow you to pick up the unallocated space.

3. Right-click the main drive and choose Shrink volume. With a bit of luck and a following wind, you should be able to reduce its size to 160GB.

4. Finally, create a new partition and format the unallocated space.

NOTE. I said with a bit of luck because the shrink partition utility can only decrease the partition size down to the first unmovable/locked system file. To get round this, temporarily turn off System Restore, do the shrink and turn System Restore back on. Running a defrag may also move some of the ‘unmovable’ files.

EDIT. I forgot to say, if you have put any files on the newly created 100MB partition, move them to the main drive before doing the above.
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:26 PM

All replies

• In Disk Management:

1. Right-click the 100MB partition and Delete the volume you just formatted. This should leave you with ‘unallocated space’.

2. Right-click the main drive and choose Extend volume. This should allow you to pick up the unallocated space.

3. Right-click the main drive and choose Shrink volume. With a bit of luck and a following wind, you should be able to reduce its size to 160GB.

4. Finally, create a new partition and format the unallocated space.

NOTE. I said with a bit of luck because the shrink partition utility can only decrease the partition size down to the first unmovable/locked system file. To get round this, temporarily turn off System Restore, do the shrink and turn System Restore back on. Running a defrag may also move some of the ‘unmovable’ files.

EDIT. I forgot to say, if you have put any files on the newly created 100MB partition, move them to the main drive before doing the above.
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

I tried this, but when I delete the volume (in step #1 above), I don't get an 'extend volume' selection on the drive I wanted.

I have 3 partitions.  1, which is the OS, a 2nd which is 5 GB, and the third which I'm trying to merge into the OS version.

For some reason it will allow me to extend the 5 GB and gives me that option, but I don't get that option on the OS volume.

Any suggestions?

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:39 PM