none
Vista - Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close

Question

• I have two Vista PCs that are receiving the following error when first starting up and after printing one page/document after restarting the spooler.

Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close

I know that this is sometimes related to driver issues but the printers that are installed print with the current drivers. Has anyone else had this problem and had it not be related to drivers?

Some info regarding setup:

We are deploying our printers through Group Policy.
    Both computers have a locally attached Brother printer.
    Computers with problem are running Vista Business.
    If spooler is set to restart immediately after every failure, the machines are able to print but constantly receive error message above.

Monday, June 08, 2009 10:43 PM

Answers

• On your computers there are several printers installed. The Brother printer is manually installed, and others are deployed by the domain server computer. Is it correct?

If the above scenario is true, I believe that this issue is caused by printer drivers confliction.

If your domain server is Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003, when printers are deployed on clients, the printer driver will be downloaded from the server and installed on clients. However, on the server computer, the installed drivers are for Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003. Maybe certain of them are not compatible with Windows Vista. Therefore, there must be one or more incompatible printer drivers are installed via printer deployment.

To resolve this issue, please remove the existed printer drivers one by one on one of the Windows Vista computer. To do so we could find which driver cause this issue.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:41 AM

All replies

• What is the model of the printers? The drivers may be corrupt. I suggest that you re-download the latest Windows Vista driver from Brother website and install it on one computer and check if it would help.

The following FAQ can be referred. Please remove the existed driver, and then install the downloaded driver.

Windows Vista FAQ 3 (Print, User Profile, Hardware, Windows Mail, MISC)

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:12 AM
  • What is the model of the printers? The drivers may be corrupt. I suggest that you re-download the latest Windows Vista driver from Brother website and install it on one computer and check if it would help.

The following FAQ can be referred. Please remove the existed driver, and then install the downloaded driver.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    The Brother printer is a HL-2140 is the only local printer on both machines. The rest are networked printers. We have a mixture of HP, Brother, Xerox, and Lexmark printers that are deployed through Group Policy.

I guess my question now is this: The user is able to print when the spooler is up which leads me to believe that the driver works. As you are saying that the driver may be corrupt, is is possible for the user to be able to print if the driver is corrupt?

Thank You
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:10 PM

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    The Brother printer is a HL-2140 is the only local printer on both machines. The rest are networked printers. We have a mixture of HP, Brother, Xerox, and Lexmark printers that are deployed through Group Policy.

I guess my question now is this: The user is able to print when the spooler is up which leads me to believe that the driver works. As you are saying that the driver may be corrupt, is is possible for the user to be able to print if the driver is corrupt?

Thank You
    Reinstalling the print drivers on one of the machines solved the problem with the spooler constantly failing. This did not work on the other machine. After changing the drivers, no printers showed up even though the spooler was running.

Another problem that is showing up with this PC is that the printers that are deployed through Group Policy are not being applied to this PC. Checking the event viewer shows that Group Policy is not applying. Not sure if this is a common thing with Vista or if it is something withi this machine. We are using Print Management to deploy the printers. We are not using a script to do this.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 11:26 PM
  • On your computers there are several printers installed. The Brother printer is manually installed, and others are deployed by the domain server computer. Is it correct?

If the above scenario is true, I believe that this issue is caused by printer drivers confliction.

If your domain server is Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003, when printers are deployed on clients, the printer driver will be downloaded from the server and installed on clients. However, on the server computer, the installed drivers are for Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003. Maybe certain of them are not compatible with Windows Vista. Therefore, there must be one or more incompatible printer drivers are installed via printer deployment.

To resolve this issue, please remove the existed printer drivers one by one on one of the Windows Vista computer. To do so we could find which driver cause this issue.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:41 AM