none
"NO TV SIGNAL" - recording issues, it wasnt my hauppauge 2250 tv tuner!!!

General discussion

• I installed windows 7 RC x64. I have 2 tuner cards installed in my asus p6t deluxe v2, a pci dvico fusion HDTV5 RT gold ( single atsc) and a pci-e x1 hauppauge 2250 (dual atsc ). This gives me 3 atsc tuners. Media Center recognises them and watching live TV works fine.

After I run the Media Center TV setup the local atsc Channels 11.1 (frequency 35) and 9.1 (frequency 26) are always set to the wrong frequencies (11 and 9) and have "no tv signal" when viewed. (for some reason vista x64 setup does not do this. Did we change guide data providers MS?)

Anyway, This is not a big problem. I simply do the following to add the correct channels and frequencies:

1.go to TASKS : SETTINGS ->TV -> GUIDE -> ADD MISSING CHANNELS

2.Add DTV Channel, enter the channel number, correct frequency, name and save.

3.Go to the GUIDE and right click on the new channel you created, select EDIT CHANNEL

4. choose EDIT LISTINGS and select the proper guide listing to copy.

5. In the CONFIRM CHANNEL EDIT page you have 2 choices "combine" or "copy" listings.

(if you choose "combine" the listings will be moved to the new channel and the other channel will be deleted. If you "copy" the listings will only be copied.)

After doing this i could view live TV on those channels just fine, but my recordings on those channels would fail (manual or scheduled) with "no tv signal" errors.

For some reason if you "ADD MISSING CHANNELS", windows 7 may not remove the old "SOURCES" (with bad frequencies) from your source list and your recordings may fail.

When I viewed the sources for the 2 channels I added, (GUIDE->[right click]->EDIT SOURCES), I found that each channel  had 6 sources instead of 3. (i only have 3 tv tuners)

The old sources with the bad frequencies had been attached to my newly added channels and would cause the recordings to fail.

I simply unchecked the bad sources (ones with frequencies 11 and 9) and kept the good sources frequencies (26 and 35).

All this time I thought it was my hauppauge 2250 that had problems. :(

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:49 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem with the Hauppauge 1250 on RC build 7100 x64. This is a bug in Media Center in my opinion. When you fix the source by editing channels and guide listings, the 'deleted' sources should really be deleted for the purposes of recording. Very frustrating!! (just ask my wife who missed most of the season finales on FOX and NBC). Also, I wish I could figure out how to do this using atscprefs.xml like you could do in Vista.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:13 PM
  • ...Also, I wish I could figure out how to do this using atscprefs.xml like you could do in Vista.

Sorry, MS has changed how media center data is stored. You can no longer simply edit files to make changes, I believe they are using an encrypted database now. 
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:37 PM