none
Where has my cd/dvd drive gone - not in my computer or device manager!

Question

• HIya,

My cd/dvd drive has gone missing from "My Computer".  THis is a new laptop Amilo and I noticed that the cds wouldn't play when I put them into the cd drive.  I went into My computer and it's only showing the two hard drives C and D but not the cd drive!  It's also not in Device manager - it's completely disappeared.

I took the laptop back to the shop and they told me to back everything up (not on cd obviously but on an external hard drive!) and then to reinstall with the recovery disc.   DUH!!!!!  The drive is not working so it doesn't recognise any discs put into it!lol

Where has it gone - it's driving me mad looking for a solution.  It's not in the registry either (I saw a fix in the forum going into regedit!)

Please please advise/help/sortout before I kill this laptop completely!!!!

Thanks

PS I'm using Windows Vista

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:56 PM

All replies

•  

Check this site :

http://askbobrankin.com/cdrom_icon_missing.htm

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:33 AM
  • Type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 
      Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution: There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in above You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM. 

In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete. 

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry. 

In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete. 

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry. 

Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. 

check if this works out..

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Can you check your Programs (add/remove) to see if you have Memories Disc installed? If so, uninstall it and reboot. See if your ODDs come back. If not, try uninstalling iTunes (if installed) and reboot and see if the issue goes away.
    • Proposed as answer by leaklug1 Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:48 PM
    Saturday, July 07, 2007 11:20 PM
  • when i did this i got as far as the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} then i looked in the right side pane but i didn't see anything that said upper filters and lower filters... i'm so lost and its still missing... HELP ME PLEASE!
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:38 AM
  • @ umm... no:
    It's also possible that it's simply dead.
    Try rebooting - does the optical drive show up then?
    If no, reboot again, and enter the BIOS (typically, repeatedly press <F1>, <F2>, or <delete> to enter BIOS setup.  Is your optical drive listed there?

Is the drive permanetly gone, or does it show up for a while after booting the machine, and later 'disappear' at random?

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Edited by Chris Cupler Monday, April 13, 2009 10:10 PM clarification
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 8:51 PM
  • uninstalling itunes saved my DVD drive. Thank you!
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:48 PM