none
Hide User Accounts on Windows 7 Logon

Question

• Hi I Just Installed Windows 7 and Want to hide other user accounts on Windows 7 64 and actually Windows Vista so the only Account showing is mine how do I do This, am I right in thinking it has to be done through the registry;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon, but I do not know how to prceed from this point can some help please
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Friday, October 16, 2009 2:24 AM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:38 PM

Answers

• Tto hide additional user accounts on Windows & Logon Use Regedit, also works for Vista

Hide User Accounts in windows Vista and Windows 7

at Run type regedit

Once in regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In the left panel, right click on Winlogon and click New and click Key.

Type SpecialAccounts and press Enter

In the left panel, right click on SpecialAccounts and click New and click Key.

Type UserList and press Enter.

In right panel of UserList, right click on a empty area and click New then click DWORD (32bit) Value.

Type in the name of the user account that you want to hide and press Enter.eg: Everyday Account.

In the right panel, right click on the user account name and click Modify.

To hide the user account – Type 0 and click OK. (number zero not the letter)

Whenever you want to use the account just unhide the it by typing 1 instead of zero.

• Proposed as answer by aberger1 Friday, November 05, 2010 1:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by dwoltersEditor Friday, December 10, 2010 5:26 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can do this through secpol.msc

1. Klick Start->Run->secpol.msc
    2. Navigate to Local policies -> Security settings
    3. Find the entry "Interactive Logon: Hide last user..." and set it to activated.
    4. Reboot the machine

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Christian,

Thanks. I tried it and the last user now won't show up.

However, I still see "other user". Is there anyway to disable this as well? I need to disable "other user" so that the end user can only login as local users through my credential provider.

Any suggestion is well appreciated.

Thanks,
    Calvin

Friday, October 16, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Hi Calvin,

From the post, I think you are trying to disable other accounts to logon instead of hide them in welcome screen. Am I correct?

If so, why not disable these accounts in Computer --- Manager. We can find all accounts here. Double click to open an account, check the box "Account is disabled" to disable it.

We can uncheck the box when we need to use these accounts.

In order to hide them from welcome screen, we will need to remove these accounts from any user group, which should not be a solution.

Friday, October 16, 2009 6:14 AM

• Tto hide additional user accounts on Windows & Logon Use Regedit, also works for Vista

at Run type regedit

Once in regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In right panel of UserList, right click on a empty area and click New then click DWORD (32bit) Value.

Type in the name of the user account that you want to hide and press Enter.eg: Everyday Account.

Whenever you want to use the account just unhide the it by typing 1 instead of zero.

• Proposed as answer by aberger1 Friday, November 05, 2010 1:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by dwoltersEditor Friday, December 10, 2010 5:26 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Christian,

No, I should describe the steps more clearly as follows:

1. On welcome screen, you see "Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE" to log on
    2. Press "CTRL + ALT + DELETE", you will see a list of icons for the users.
    3. The problem I have is the "Other User" and I want to disable it because it will allow the end user to log on as domain account.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Calvin
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:09 PM
  • We may not able to do so. And it is not safe to disable all other users logon that computer especially the computer is in domain. If it corrupts, local admin will also failed to login.

Maybe quit domain when logoff the computer is an option.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:53 AM

• Maybe not what you are looking for, but from the standpoint of a single user of computer, I disable Secondary Logon, "Service", and all "Services" that start with "Remote" except R.P.C.s.

In control Panel User accounts, disable Guest account &
    in "Run" keying "control userpasswords2" (where accounts can be seen), call for Ctrl-Alt-Del which supposedly obviates robotic attempts. You don't have to enter name 'cause you are only user, but need password.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:48 AM
  • I have same issue, I have windows 7 ultimate and couple of user accounts on that machine for local sharing but adding SpecialAccounts>username>0 via regedit has no effect.
    .nLL
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:15 PM
  • The following will work for a computer in a workgroup (using the welcome page).
    For Windows 7 Enterprise (maybe others) you will also need to add a second key below SpecialAccounts called "UserList". Put all the accounts in that subkey.
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

I have confirmed this to work on a fresh installation with multiple user accounts and not joined to a domain. I have also confirmed this on my Windows 7 Ultimate computer I use at home. I use the hidden (but not disabled) accounts to provide share access in a workgroup environment, so I don't want to see them on the logon page. I think the proper workaround for share access is using homegroups instead, but I don't think it provides enough granularity for me.
    • Proposed as answer by CondoPC Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:53 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:41 AM
  • It is wierd. I have been doing same thing last 2 days for many times but it only worked today. One think i have done though, i have cleared Name section of user account
    .nLL
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:28 AM

at Run type regedit

Ok, it now looks like I have a problem, I tried the above mentioned solution, and now I can't use my first account (which has administrator rights) anymore; I can't even do a Runas anymore (so I can't undo the change in the registry).

Anyone any idea how to solve this (besides reinstalling the laptop)?

EDIT I found a solution http://www.wincert.net/tips/1617-unhide-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-7.html
    Monday, November 09, 2009 11:17 AM
  • You can disable the entire welcome screen, and force users to type in a user name and password by creating the registry key here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737321(WS.10).aspx and setting the value to 1. You may have to reboot once or twice, but it works.

• Proposed as answer by Sir_ReadALot Monday, December 21, 2009 9:56 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Try -> http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/2009/10/hide-user-accounts-in-windows-7/

is perfect

• Proposed as answer by DStribling2 Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Try -> http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/2009/10/hide-user-accounts-in-windows-7/

is perfect

I have the same problem.But I could not log in as administrator and when I type username and password in the "other user" It didn't work.The only user I can log on is guest account.Anyone help me!

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 12:17 PM

is perfect

I could not log on as administrator in the "other user".I could only log on as guest account...anyone help me!

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 12:21 PM
  • try System Restore from the windows disk. It might work. 
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Easy. Just pull up a run dialog box (winkey + r) and type control userpasswords2. Then hit enter. Click the user, hit properties, then hit group membership. hit other, then select IIS_IUSERS. The user is hidden from the welcome screen.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:09 PM
  • I may have misunderstood somwhat. If you hide a user acount it will be unusable. You can use "local users and groups" mmc to disable accounts or if it'home premium it won't have local users and groups so just use the net user command.

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:01 PM
  • The following will work for a computer in a workgroup (using the welcome page).
    For Windows 7 Enterprise (maybe others) you will also need to add a second key below SpecialAccounts called "UserList". Put all the accounts in that subkey.
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

I have confirmed this to work on a fresh installation with multiple user accounts and not joined to a domain. I have also confirmed this on my Windows 7 Ultimate computer I use at home. I use the hidden (but not disabled) accounts to provide share access in a workgroup environment, so I don't want to see them on the logon page. I think the proper workaround for share access is using homegroups instead, but I don't think it provides enough granularity for me.

Ok,

So now that I have done this, I cannot logon to the machine with those accounts anymore or use the admin priviledges for them.  I thought it would just hide the accounts.  The problem is, I 'hid' all admin accounts, but thought like old versions of windows that you would be able to CTRL-ALT-DELETE on the login screen to type the username and password, but I can't get it to work!.

How do I login once I have put in users int he UserList key?.  I can't get back into the regedit because I don't have any other admin accounts. :(

EDIT: Answer

If you would like to unhide the hidden Administrator account on Windows 7 Operating System , here's how you can do it:

1.Boot Win 7 DVD,go to command prompt and type regedit -it

2.Click on HKLM hive and next navigate File>>Load hive

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\config folder and choose SOFTWARE file load it and assign this hive any name for example REM_SOFTWARE

3.Open key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\REM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    and remove this account or better way remove the whole key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\REM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts

• Proposed as answer by tonnic Friday, June 11, 2010 5:40 PM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 5:28 PM
  • It is simplier...

RunAs /user:admin "control userpasswords2"

Change one of users group membership to admin group. Login as that user. Regedit it.

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:54 PM
  • This worked perfectly for me on Windows 7 Home Premium. The accounts is still usable, it is just hidden from the welcome screen. Thanks.
    Friday, November 05, 2010 1:30 AM
  • christian have you found a solution yet i have the same problem

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

I need to hide a guest account

I can get as far as right clicking winlogon, but as I try to press key, it says I have no permission!?

Please help!

I would be so happy if you could.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:58 PM
  • NET USER GUEST /ACTIVE:NO

• Proposed as answer by rayk88 Friday, October 21, 2011 1:57 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

I wanted to do the same, follow the initial instructions and then was also blocked, because I hide the only administrator account.  No Ctrl-Alt-Del (disabled since Vista),"Run As Administrator" didn't work (it didn't allow to type the password),"RunAs /user:admin" didn't work.   Windows 7 Professional in workgroup.  Found 2 solutions apart from using Win 7 DVD to correct the situation:

1. I activated previously the remote session, so I was able to login with Remote Desktop with administrator account, I know not everyone could have it enabled, so the next option should help everyone: 
    2. In standard or guest account, Shift-Right Click Regedit and select "Run as different user" and then I was able to use the hidden account and revert the setting or run any other process.
    The objective from my point of view is a combination of security and facilitate the common users login, is that common users only see standard account on welcome screen, but when needed, a power user still can do configuration tasks.

I will test if doing option 2 when needed is a feasible way to administer this secured computer.

• Proposed as answer by Babyboi0312 Sunday, July 07, 2013 6:35 PM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Re: ArcadiaZone

I tried the method you posted it works as for removing a user account. But if you want to use the user account you have hidden, you can't! In fact you can't use ctrl-alt-del either that doesn't work. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and have two user accounts. After hiding the one account i wasn't able to connect to the internet or make any changes to my system.

I did a search and was able to restore the hidden account and use my computer again. I was lucky because i have linux on another partition and found a solution.

**Doesn't work in Safe Mode**

Click on "Start"->Run->type: cmd->type-> runas /noprofile /user:"administrator account name" cmd

Enter "administrator account password" now running as administrator not "hidden" administrator.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Just to clarify the issue for everyone:

In XP, you could control which accounts were visible on the welcome screen.  This did not affect anything except what appeared on that screen (i.e., it did not otherwise restrict or disable the account in any way).  To log into accounts that were not visible, you just pressed ctrl-alt-del x2 (hold down ctrl-alt and then tap del twice), which would bypass the welcome screen and give you a traditional prompt where you could explicitly type any valid username/password and log in.

As of this posting, this is not possible at all in Windows 7 (nor in Vista I believe).  Many solutions offered on the Internet will actually make your system unusable and will be difficult to undo.  If you disable your administrative accounts, it can then be difficult or impossible to establish the necessary privileges to ever re-enable them.

The closest I've been able to manage is to rename the accounts you want to hide with dummy names so at least they are not recognizable (this doesn't help much).  

Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Hide User Accounts in windows Vista and Windows 7

at Run type regedit

at Run
       gpedit.msc
           Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components >
           Credential User Interface
                  change the setting for "Enumerate administrator accounts on elevation" to "disabled".

Start Menu > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy
         Local Policies > Security Options
                   "User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop"   Set to Disabled

This hides accounts but allows UAC to access them through the Secure Desktop

• Proposed as answer by aRedDawg Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:14 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:14 PM
  • If I understand this thread correctly, then here is a solution for making the local users dissappear from the "windows 7 Professional 64" login screen, while still being "active" users for local network share purposes. (this also worked in XP back in the day)

2. Navigate to Local policies -> User Rights Assignment
    3. Find the policy for "Deny log on locally
    4. Click on "Add User or Group" button
    5. Add all the user names that you don't want to show up in the text box, separated with semicolons (;) and hit the "Check Names" button.
    6.) If all is well click OK and those accounts should no longer have a login icon at startup. 

(*** Be VERY careful not to deny log on for the "all users" or "Everyone" group as this will lock out everyone, including the administrator accounts, and you will be searching the forums for a whole new solution)

-- Hope this helps some of you out there.

• Proposed as answer by Adam Ralph Saturday, July 02, 2011 10:10 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Is it possible to get a batch file or script which would automate the task of hiding one account with administrative privileges on a large numbver of computers so that it does not appear on the logon screen. However it should be possible to remotely login to the computer using the same login account and push patches and updates.

It is worth noting that out of a large number of computers, some have Windows XP, some have Vista, while others have Windows 7 loaded on them. So the batch file or script proposed should be able to work on all the three operating systems. If separate batch files/ script are required for different operating systems then all the scripts / batch files may be advised.

The environment does not have a Active Directory or Domain arrangement.

Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

I wanted to do the same, follow the initial instructions and then was also blocked, because I hide the only administrator account.  No Ctrl-Alt-Del (disabled since Vista),"Run As Administrator" didn't work (it didn't allow to type the password),"RunAs /user:admin" didn't work.   Windows 7 Professional in workgroup.  Found 2 solutions apart from using Win 7 DVD to correct the situation:

1. I activated previously the remote session, so I was able to login with Remote Desktop with administrator account, I know not everyone could have it enabled, so the next option should help everyone: 
    2. In standard or guest account, Shift-Right Click Regedit and select "Run as different user" and then I was able to use the hidden account and revert the setting or run any other process.
    The objective from my point of view is a combination of security and facilitate the common users login, is that common users only see standard account on welcome screen, but when needed, a power user still can do configuration tasks.
    I will test if doing option 2 when needed is a feasible way to administer this secured computer.

i cant do option 2 because i dont have a password on my administrator account and i get a message that reads "Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords are not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforeced. any idea what else i can do to fix this problem?

Sunday, August 07, 2011 9:29 PM
  • another easy thing to do is try searching rohos login key from a search engine, once that is installed it allows you to login using a usb stick, so hide the account using the setting pane of rohos and when you need to use it just plug in your usb device and you will be logged in. you can also set it up so that when you disconnect your usb device it will log you off
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Hi,

First of all, you have to logon to your system using current administrator password.

Click the Start menu and in the search box you have to type control userpasswords2.

You could click the control userpasswords2 under the Programs.

This would launch User Accounts dialog box.

Then, you have to choose your user account and need to uncheck the ‘User must enter a user name and password to enter this computer’ checkbox.

After that, you need to enter your current username and the password.

You need to click OK and restart the system.

http://supportformicrosoft.iyogi.com/windows-7/windows-7-login-screen-disable.html

Hope this information helps you.

Monday, August 29, 2011 7:44 AM
  • @aRedDawg

Thank! That is exactly what I was looking to do!

This will save me many headaches when I have to send workgroup laptops to the GoM and they suddenly need an admin account for something. If I let them, they would just log into the Administrator desktop for everything, but as I cannot go on the boat, I had to have some way for them accessing the admin without logging into its desktop. This was easy to do in XP.

Thank you so much for letting us know how to do it in Vista/7.

(As for Windows 8, I'm not looking forward to Metro management.)

To help with search engines: aRedDawg showed how to require a username and password for the Run As Administrator dialog when the desired Administrator account is hidden from the logon screen in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Hey i'm having the same problem but I dun know how to do it... I press CTRL+ALT+DEL it goes to the logon page.... with logon Picture and a box to type in my password. I want to be able to press CTRL+ALT+DEL in the logon picture and I want it to turn into a box where I could put in my username and password OR it could come up with a list of all hiden users.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:11 AM
  • NET USER GUEST /ACTIVE:NO

worked for me Win7pro 32bit and 64bit
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Heres some more information that might be helpfull,
    Pete
    Friday, December 02, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Thanks

Tto hide additional user accounts on Windows & Logon Use Regedit, also works for Vista

at Run type regedit

Friday, December 30, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

3. Find the entry "Interactive Logon: Hide last user..." and set it to activated.
    4. Reboot the machine

Greetings

Christian

DO NOT do this. This somehow disabled ALL my accounts, and now i cannot log into windows at ALL. Im stuck at the log in screen and its acting like both my admin accounts do not exist. All wanted to do was hide all the accounts from being seen at the login screen, not hide them from Windows. How can i get my accounts back? Going though these replys did not help as most seem to require another non-admin account, which i do not have. System restore doesnt do jack crap.
    • Proposed as answer by Lawsononline1 Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:57 PM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:04 PM
  • NET USER administrator /ACTIVE:NO

worked for my admin account on win 7 home prem

• Edited by sod519 Friday, February 10, 2012 7:27 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

4. Reboot the machine

Greetings

Christian

HI I had used this step its works but one problem happens I had done in admin account that's hide my admin account and i can't 

unhide my admin user and forgot my account name (computer name) any solution ?

Please reply the right solution

Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:37 AM
  • I found the simple answer here and it worked a treat: http://superuser.com/questions/182375/answer/submit

"Workaround: Get domain style logon on a workgroup computer.
    Guessing the original asker won't see this, but for the benefit of any who may come across this looking for such functionality in Windows 7...
    To get only last user + switch button (other user) logon on a workgroup computer - add:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\DomainStyleLogon]

All registry warnings apply. The name "DomainStyleLogon" doesn't seem to matter - just that there is an empty key under ProfileList. I found the thread:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-to-make-windows-7-show-user-list-on-login/63cea659-f6a0-412d-a0b1-952a26c1df44
    where a user reported as a problem this behavior which I was actually looking for. So I reversed the fix offered there by KindBullet and it seems to work. I'm not saying I recommend this - intentionally using what seems to be a bug, and may be "fixed" in the future - but it does seem to be working fine for me without other side effects."

• Proposed as answer by Jonathan Hall Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:36 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 8:16 AM
  • @dwhyte: Although your first link doesn't work, the solution does. I'm so glad I didn't try any of the other waste of time solutions above before finding yours. Excellent work!
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:38 PM
  • dwhyte.. Thanks,,great solution for me. Cheers
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:28 PM
  • did all that logged out and now my user is gone, what should I do?
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Hi.

I did this, and it worked.  But now I've got a problem: I removed admin privileges from this user (the one I set up to be the only VISIBLE account in the login screen, though there are other, admin accounts on the machine), but since doing so, when I try to install software while logged on as the user, it no longer permits me to enter an administrator password (it says "To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes", but the Yes button is grayed-out).  Also, in the login screen, it does not permit me to switch user.  The only button available, beneath the password field for the user, is "Cancel".  How might I get back into this machine, under one of my admin accounts?

Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:09 PM
  • @ArcadiaZone: thanks for the post, that helped out a lot.

If anybody wants to do the same through cmd.exe here are the commands:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts"
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList" /v <user> /t reg_dword /d 0

Friday, February 08, 2013 3:05 PM
  • With regards to this steps. How about if you accidentally hide the administrator account (instead of non-elevated user account) and you already restart the machine, now how you will unhide or reverse the result if you don't have administrator privilage because you login as standard user only?

Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:51 PM
  • You're a genius my friend.. I tried every steps out here and none of them works because they don't know the exact situation.. and you did.. You just saved my time reinstalling the whole operating system and every programs on my pc..

Thank's a lot!!!

Sunday, July 07, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Worked perfectly, exactly what I wanted.  Thank you.
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 7:50 PM
  • but

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\REM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts

is not available when I boot to command prompt from windows DVD.

Why is this not visible? Any idea or how to make this visible ??

please advice.

____________ scorp

Saturday, January 04, 2014 11:25 AM
  • This is viewable only when you are logged on as Administrator.

Saturday, January 04, 2014 11:34 AM
  • This one is better than the registychange. It follows user interface. No danger of messing in the registry.

Instant effect noticed. You can create own securitygroups within Windows 7. Used this function to assign a user to the proper SQL management group.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:54 PM