none
Punkbuster doesnt work with Win 7 64bit

General discussion

• Punkbuster doesnt work with Win 7 64bit in some games. It works with cod5 but not cod4.

I continually get "Unknown windows API fucntion" and "unknown driver" errors in cod4.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:50 PM

All replies

• dbharness said:

Punkbuster doesnt work with Win 7 64bit in some games. It works with cod5 but not cod4.

I continually get "Unknown windows API fucntion" and "unknown driver" errors in cod4.

That's a known issue, but there is a work-around. Strange enough it won't work with ALLE multiplayer sessions, but I was able to play several sessions of Battlefield 2 online with Windows 7.

Edit the properties of the files PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe in the folder c:\windows\syswow64 and on the Compatibility tab set the Compatibility mode to Windows Vista.

Do the same thing with the files in the c:\users\[username]\appdata\local\punkbuster folder.

This will do the trick (for me it does during the most multiplayer sessions).
    MCTS Forefront | MCTS ISA Server 2006 | MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Official email from punkbuster

I'm sorry, but Even Balance doesn't support beta or release candidate
    versions of operating systems, and as such checks such as these are
    prone to fail. Once Windows 7 has a full commercial release, Even
    Balance will offer full PunkBuster support to it.

gomerpile wrote:
    > Dear Sir, I have been using windows 7 build 7000 and I cannot play online with Punkbuster because of an (Restriction Unknown windows API Function 131131) I am hoping this issue will be fixed for the upcoming release of windows 7.
    > Could you please notify me by email at . I would like to assure users in my tech forums

Hope this Helps

I'm smarter then my computer
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:53 PM
  • To Helmer: 

It did not work. I guess i am SOL.

edit:  this is total bs. yesterday all my games but one worked. Today none of them work. This is what happens when there is only 1 provider of a commodity. We are a trapped customer base. Punkbuster is snubbin its knose at us.

they dont do betas, lol. how the hell do they expect any software to ever get debugged. I hope their next beta gets hosed.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:20 AM
  • It's true, the "work-arounds" don't work for most people, myself included. I believe system restore doesn't help either, perhaps due to the update's priority.

Is there any chance you folks at Windows can CTRL+Z the rogue update?

I think a lot of people will stop using Windows 7 if they can't play BF2, Call of Duty etc.
    It's going to remove all the hardcore stress testing gamers from the beta otherwise.

Please help us help you make Windows 7 better!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:15 AM
  • i uninstalled the last three updates and rolled back to a restore point before the updates. It did not work. I am still getting ath unknown windows api error.

like Pat, i was not getting them in codwaw until this past weekend.

It is a PB update causing the issue.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:56 AM
  • PUNKBUSTER REQUIRES IMMEDIATE WINDOWS 7 ATTENTION 32BIT AND 64BIT

Dear administrators, its pretty aparent that Punkbuster full stop is something that Windows7 information gathering processes will not detect and report to microsoft.  You'll see replies above on the topic from punkbuster etc.  This application is used by just about all multiplayer platform games.  If Windows 7 is going to be gaming friendly then this needs to be addressed now prior to production release and not once its code ready.  Can you guys provide some advice as to how this will be rectified otherwise people will just attempt to make workarounds which will only cover up the underlining problem.

cheers

drady
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:01 AM
  • This also happens in 32-bit Windows 7. I haven't tried compatibility mode.

Monday, May 18, 2009 3:45 AM
  • I tried just about everything for BF2142, but still kept getting "Unknown windows API Function 131152" until I updated the motherboard drivers with the Vista drivers that came with the motherboard. Has been running for a couple of days now without kicking. Other things I did on the way, and I don't know if they are relevant or not - manual update using pbsetup, run pb and bf2142 in Vista SP1 compatibility mode, and as administrator.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 1:28 PM
  • I had the same issue when I first installed Battlefield 1942 on Windows 7.  did all the compatibility fixes to see if that would work, ran PB as admin, etc.  So, I decided to set up an XP drive just for the game.  After installing quite a few applications onto the Windows 7 drive, I suddenly can play Battlefield 1942 without any Punkbuster issues.  I don't know what has changed, but I'm liking it.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:21 PM
  • I am not sure if this is the cause but it happened to me.  With Build 7000 I was able to on local BF2 server but not overseas servers, i was also able to play COD4 and 5, and other PB games with no problems.

When 7100 RC came out i was able to play all games, local and overseas.  It worked all of a sudden when they released the new Win7 Nividia video driver(not the beta, but the full complete one).  When it replaced the beta driver with the complete one it stopped giving me the "Restricted Driver/aplication error"

Now everything works, so i was thinking maybe it was the driver, but i don't know how how i was able to play on local servers, but never on overseas ones with the 7000build version.

So try getting rid of the Beta driver(s) including the beta sound driver.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 2:56 AM
  • first of all.  I installed PB just now, it doesn't designate a folder to where it installs.  And there is NONE of this

"Edit the properties of the files PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe in the folder c:\windows\syswow64 and on the Compatibility tab set the Compatibility mode  to Windows Vista.

Do the same thing with the files in the c:\users\[username]\appdata\local\punkbuster folder. "

And I still can't launch BF2.
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 1:01 AM
  • well do you have Windows 7 RC 1 installed??   Since it came out, there hasn't been any problems with PNKBSTR

If you do have it, did you do a clean install of it?  It really should be fixed and have no problems with pb once RC1 is installed.
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 12:12 PM