none
Windows 7 Installation has a blank black screen after the first reboot.

Question

• I am trying to install Windows 7 RTM on a Dell Precision 670.  It is a dual Xenon processor with a ATI FireGL V3100 video card.  I have tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit version. After the first reboot the HDD continues for some time but screen remains blank.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:32 PM

Answers

• I finally got it to install but not really sure why.  I booted to Vista and then at Dell web site I downloaded a much newer video driver.  I then tried the Windows 7 32 bit ultimate install and it went without a hitch.  The only thing I can think of is it must have reset something on the video card.
    • Marked as answer by mrhoads Monday, August 31, 2009 12:56 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 12:55 PM

All replies

• Thanks, yes I let it go for several hours (overnight).  I did it several times with both 32 and 64 bit but got the same result.  I used the same disk and installed on another computer without any problems. 
    Monday, August 24, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Have you ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

The black screen problem is caused by the incompatible device drivers or applications. You can run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, it will tells you about any known compatibility issues.

If the advisor find no compatibility issue with the computer, I suggest you first check the display card. I looked for the driver for ATI FireGL V3100 video card on ATI website, but there is no driver for Windows 7 available at this moment.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

If you have another display card, I highly recommend you replace the original display card for test.

Thomas Lin
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Thanks,  The advisor said everything was ok for the 32 bit version.  If I find a new driver how would I install it with a black screen?  It appears that the only thing I can do is put in a new display card???? I thought it would revert to VGA if it was not compatable???
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked the Windows installation logs:

C:\WINDOWS\setupapi.log

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log

Can you send the logs to thoml@live.com for my further research?

This first boot phase proceeds with the following actions:

• Starting Windows
    • Setup is updating registry settings
    • Setup is starting services

If you hangs in "Starting Windows", the problem should be caused by certain hardware device.

Thomas Lin
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:38 AM
  • I finally got it to install but not really sure why.  I booted to Vista and then at Dell web site I downloaded a much newer video driver.  I then tried the Windows 7 32 bit ultimate install and it went without a hitch.  The only thing I can think of is it must have reset something on the video card.
    • Marked as answer by mrhoads Monday, August 31, 2009 12:56 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 12:55 PM