none
No Video files showing in Windows Media Center video library

General discussion

• After setting up Windows Media Center and adding a/any folder that contains video, to the video library, none of the videos show up in Windows Media Center video library.

What do I need to do to be able to watch my videos?

Update:
    The files do show up under date taken, but not under folders.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• Having exactly the same issue here, files play fine and show up under date taken but not "Folder" view.
    Which makes it kinda fun trying to find the file you want to watch with a remote.

Anyone have any idea's?

Have tried removing all shared folders and reselecting them, media center is set to the default player for most media files. Seems to be an issue with media center it's self atm.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

Does the issue occurs with shared folders on network, or on local folders, or both of them?

I add a folder that only contains 3 files, at beginning I can only view them in “folders”, but not in “date taken”. After a while, and dates are listed in “date taken” and I could view files from the date. It seems that Media Center need time to detect and query information of the media files. I suspect that if you have multiple folders and large number of video files, you need to wait for a little long time until Media Center have detected all of them.

If there is no change after you wait for long time, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall. On the computer.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:26 AM
  • All folders are local.

If I closed media center while viewing by date taken, when I returned date taken would be empty as well. So I would have to go to folders (which would still be empty) and then close media center and re-open to an empty folders, then go to date taken be able to see my videos.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 10:46 PM
  • i having the same problem? anyone know of a fix yet?

could see in folder view for a few days, now they have gone. other drives with a few video files appear, but not the main drive?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:12 AM
  • I am also having this exact same problem.

I have my videos on an external HD which I set up to always give it a static drive letter. Strange thing is that if I add videos to the movies folder, they show up. But if i add video to the video section, they only show up under the "date taken".

Does anyone know a work around or fix?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Does anyone else have this problem?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:37 AM
  • I am having the same issue. Media player sees the files and adds them to the media player library, but mc7 does not. Within MC7, if I add each folder D:\my videos, e:\my videos, and R:\temp\videos, it searches through them, but doesn't add anything. When it is done, I have D:\ and E:\ as folders in my video library, but not r:\temp\videos. This is weird because i added subfolders, not the root drives themselves. I've put e:\my videos & d:\my videos (but not the ones on R:) in the main "my videos" library in windows explorer, thinking MC7 would pull them from there, but it doesn't. It also doesn't save these settings. Every time i quit MC7, when I go back i have to add them again.

The libraries work well for media player, but they are a mess in mc7. I don't have any codec packs or any other software that would have messed with the registry fwiw. This is a pretty fresh install.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:02 AM
  • I have this problem as well.

If i go to Videos they dont show up.  If i show by date they are all there.  Only showing by folder is broken for me.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:14 PM
  • I also have this issue. I'm using W7 RC and have all my videos locally on the PC (D drive though).... Media Center works when I put a small amounts of video in the folder, but when I put a large number into the folder, Media Center chokes (1100 movies in M4V).  It does work if I sort by <Genre> or <Date Added>, but it totally fails on <Title> which is really the only way to sort movies in a way that I can find them.  Media player doesn't really work well either in that it doesn't show all my movies if I add the folder to the library.... but I can browse through explorer and run all the movies through Media Player - so I know it's not a file issue.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Yes, I am also geting this. I'm using RTM Ultimate x64.

Just curious, is everyone else with this problem running 64bit?
    The fact that the videos show up under date taken implies that it's not a codec issue.

I don't want to re-install again and find the same thing... any help please?

Update:
    I think it may have to do with a folder above the folder being shared?
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 6:59 AM
  • Same problem here... it's not recognizing any files... even plain AVIs... and i have all codec installed... even 64-bit ones.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:27 PM
  • I have this exact problem but I'm running Vista so I don't think it's a windows 7 issue.

Someone must know a solution...
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:24 PM
  • I havin the exact problem.  I can view my video files under "date" but when I switch to "folder" its competly empty.  Not one folder.  I hope MS has a fix this for Win7 on the final release.
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:17 AM
  • This is the final release. What we are getting on Technet is the RTM. there will be no changes now except through patches/service packs.
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I'm running a clean install of the RTM (as of 03:00 GMT) and after reading this thread I run a couple of tests..

1, Setup and external drive with movies in individual folders with folder art (only 24 but sufficient to produce the error above) - All folders show in 'Videos' and 'Movies' libraries in all views
    2, Copy 3 full length movies (AVI) to the 'Videos' library in Explorer - All 3 videos show in 'Videos' library in all views

I have not been able to reproduce the above issue. What architecture are you all running x86 or x64? And what version/build of Windows 7 (RC/RTM)?

Jeff

If anyone is helpful, please click the 'Vote as helpful' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Hey Orbital, Can you try the following.

Setup a folder structure like this...

[Drive/Folder]─┐
                        ├─[Shared Folder]─┐
                        │                        ├─[Videos Folder]
                        │                        ├─[Other Folders]
                        │
                        ├─[Other Folders]

Now share the Shared Folder on your network but in Media Center only add the Videos Folder to the Video Library.

If my theory is correct no videos inside the Videos Folder will show up if you have "by name" selected, but flick it over to "by date" and they will appear. 

Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:52 PM
  • I'll try that now for you
    If anyone is helpful, please click the 'Vote as helpful' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:59 PM
  • I don't know if it helps but my Movies folder is on an external drive which is already shared with 'Everyone' that accesses the network.

Here's my current structure

[C: Drive]
    [D: Drive] - Other Folders
                    - Movies (Shared)

Thursday, October 08, 2009 5:01 PM
  • I've just even tried to map my external HD as a network drive & it still shows all the movies. Could it be the architecture (x86/x64)?
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 6:01 PM
  • I havin the exact problem.  I can view my video files under "date" but when I switch to "folder" its competly empty.  Not one folder.  I hope MS has a fix this for Win7 on the final release.

I am running the RTM and the original problem for which I started this thread is no longer a problem.
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:10 PM

I am running the RTM and the original problem for which I started this thread is no longer a problem.

Have you made any recent changes in your setup?

Hardware
    Software
    Drivers

The answer may be in a recent installation
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:19 PM

Have you made any recent changes in your setup?

Hardware
    Software
    Drivers

The answer may be in a recent installation

IF you mean besides now using RTM instead of Beta, the answer is none.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 7:29 PM
  • I have the same problem, running 32bit RTM Windows 7.

My Windows installation is on Drive C (Its own HDD), and my Media is on Drive E (Separate HDD).  Every few days I'll open Media Center, go to Video, and nothing shows up in Name View.  If I reboot a few times it may or may not come back.  I have under 300 Videos in my Video library when it does work.

My Library is as Follows:

{C Drive} - OS Drive

{E Drive} - Media Drive
    {Movies} - This is added to Video Library, and is Shared as Movies on my network.
    {MP3} - In Music Library, and is Shared as Music on my network
    {Pictures} - In Pictures Library, and shared on network as well.

I have no idea if the problem is related to media being on a separate drive/partition, or if sharing is somehow related.

Here is what has worked in the past:

1.  Open Windows Media Player
    2.  File->Manage Libraries
    3.  Open Each Library and Remove ALL items.
    4.  Reboot
    5.  Open Media Player, File->Manage Libraries
    6.  Re-Add items to Library.
    7.  Wait for Media Player to finish Updating Libraries.
    8.  Cross Fingers.
    9.  Sprinkle Pixie Dust over PC.
    10.Start Media Center, Hope for the best.

This works about 75% of the time.  The other 25% is spontaneously fixes itself after opening and closing Media Center a few times.

If anyone can provide further insight, I would be extremely grateful to get Media Center running properly 100% of the time.

Cheers.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I have the same issue. Using Win7 HP RTM.

Media center AND my 360 extender do not see files in "FOLDER MODE".

Media Center does see them in "DATE TAKEN" mode. Havent tested yet on 360 extender.

It started happening right around KB976479 but uninstalling that did not fix. 
    I also disabled all non-MS services and all startup apps in msconfig which did not fix.

MS has to fix this, Win7 Media Center is becoming an unusable fiasco for me lately. Between this and Live TV stuttering I would ask for a refund on my OS if it were possible.

As we all know, it is not.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:05 PM
  • BTW, when this issue initially started I had just made a boot drive image a week earlier on November 1. Twice in the last 7 days I have restored this image and the FOLDER view works after restoring. Both times some MS or other update makes it break within a day or 3. This is what made me suspicous of the critical update I mentioned in the last post.

Perhaps I will take a look at the other updates that might have happened...
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:10 PM
  • I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate.  Had no problems until I rebuild my WMC/WMP database.  After that I had no folders showing in my Video under wmc.  I did have folders being displayed in wmp which I thought was strange since I thought they both used the same database. I also have folders being displayed under the music heading in WMC.   I have cleared and renamed the mediaplayer folder several times with no luck.  After reading all the post under this thread there seems to be something causing the problem.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Hey Everyone! I'm also tearing my hair out with this problem.....
    I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Premium from Vista Home Premium. 32bit Install.

I have the same problem where in media center, under 'videos' in displays all the folders and sub-folders for my movies, but if I pick one to watch a specific film it will be empty! at first i thought this was probably a codec issue because i hadn't noticed that if i switched to the 'sort by date' view i could actually play all my files - just finding them in that sorting method it basically impossible if you have a large number of video files.
    After trying loads of codec packs i realised this was a dead end as the videos do play in the library if you sort by date, just for some reason sorting by folders does not find them!

I read a post about removing all drive associations from the libraries in media center, and then re-indexing the computer, but have tried this and then tried to add folders to my library, but i just end up with the same problem! total nightmare!

If anyone stumbles across this thread who has solved this PLEASE post a reply, i don't know how much more of this I can take!

Thanks
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Biggsy, I had the issue on a clean install of win7 HP RTM. I always have indexing off on all my Win32 installs. I deleted the existing libraries in MC and added them again after a reboot to no avail.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:34 PM
  • I had the same issue occur today (12/27/09) with no warning. I had not changed any system settings, added any software, nor changed anything with Windows Media Center on my Windows 7 Ultimate HTPC.  Tried removing/readding several media libraries containing videos of different types and codecs. Nothing came back, even after several reboots. This, however, did not affect my ability to view picture folders or watch live TV in Media Center.

I reverted to the most recent system restore point I had (12/24/09 - Windows Defender Update) and was able to get the missing videos back.  Like many of you I have a 2nd hard drive (Drive D:\) which contains most of my user data, including video and picture folders associated with Win7's Media Center.  I also actively use the Netflix plugin and watch streaming video through it, and had very recently closed Media Center while watching a Netflix stream (which was the last known time my Media Center was picking up video files... maybe the cause?)

I'm unaware of how or why this occurs but seeing how a system restore fixed the issue I'd recommend everyone creating a restore point once they get their Win7 HTPC fully configured and working.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Same Problem here. 12/28 after months of no problems with windows 7 ultimate I had my videos folder contents disappear.
    I tried the restore point 12/25 but had no success.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Hi guys,

I've actually resolved this issue today - if it's the same problem as yours, that is.

Movies would show up in 'Pictures and Video' so long as 'Date Taken' was selected, but would not show up in the Movies Library at all. To fix this, I had to do some registry modifications. 

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > .avi 
    Simply add the registry values;

"Content Type" = video/avi
    "PerceivedType" = video

Perhaps someone can make up a registry edit file for this, so long as it works for you.
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hey guys,

Save the below into a *.reg file and run it.  It fixed my xvids with .avi extensions, and my *.mpg's.  I think the only thing I installed recently was winamp.  Anyway, good luck.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpeg]
    "Content Type"="video/mpeg"
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
    "Content Type"="video/avi"
    "PerceivedType"="video"
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:44 AM
  • I am having the same issues everyone else is.  I am trying to use your suggestion.  I highlighted and saved your registry info into a video.reg file using notepad.  When I attempted to open it I recieved an error message that the "file is not a registry script.  You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor" 

How do I get that information into the registry.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Hey Trip.

Thank you very much for your post.

I had the same problem but I coudnt find any info due to the fact i own an italian version.

Now it worked for me and am happy now.

Thank you.

I also missed these:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m4v]
    "Content Type"="video/mp4"
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
    "Content Type"="video/x-ms-asf"
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov]
    "Content Type"="video/quicktime"
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.MPE]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
    "Content Type"="video/x-ms-wmv"
    "PerceivedType"="video"

Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:36 PM
  • I was having the same problem, everytime i added folders they just wouldnt show up, it shows the default folders "my video, downloads" but nothing else.

So what i did was put a shortcut to the folders I wanted to add in my videos folder and it showed up for example "C:\Users\username\Videos\pets - shortcut".
    It works just fine for me or atleast until they fix it.

I also found that if you go to the folder you want to add in explorer and at the top next to organize where it says include in library and select video it will then show up in media center.
    hope this helps.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:02 AM
  • OK, I think I have sussed the problem, and it wasn't that hard in the end.

Go to settings -> Media Libraries and check each Library type to see if the problem folder is in there. If it is, remove it.
    After it has been removed from each Media type go back to Videos and re-add the folder.

I found my folder was under Both Videos and Recorded TV library types and think this was causing the problem.

My Folder shows up fine now.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

I'd just like to jot down my experiences - I recently reinstalled Nero, and it caused all my 'mp4' video files to suddenly disappear from Media Center.

It turned out to be the 'PerceivedType' registry keys as mentioned above for many video types had been deleted.  Once recreated everything appeared again!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Same issue here - movies not showing in Videos section of MCE, started 2 days ago after more than 3 months on this install of Win 7 HP with no issue. Tried the registry hack, tried removing and re-adding the library, tried adding a shortcut into C:\Users\username\Videos\. Tried rolling back to a restore point several days before the problem. Zip.

Still searching for answers, HTPC crippled as it stands.

Saturday, May 08, 2010 11:18 PM
  • That did it for me. I had a folder under "Videos" and "Recorded TV". After removing it from "Recorded TV" it showed up in "Videos" under the folder view.

Thank you!

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:19 AM
  • the shortcut trick worked for me... really annoyed it had to turn out that way though. It used to work perfectly fine before I reinstalled Windows 7.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Same problem as above, and resolution/fix:

Suddenly all my video files disappeared from Windows Media Center, re-added the folders, removed and recreated the database didn't fix it. If I used Windows Media Player all my video files were there and played fine in WMP, in WMC the folders were there but I kept getting

there are no items in this library yet

If I went to view by date in WMC, the files were there and played fine!

Based on the above registry posts I had a look at my classes_root and for each video type the root of each node was empty. Something I'd installed in the last few weeks had taken out the Content Type and PerceivedType settings.

So to fix I used the above and saved the below as "fix_movie_associations.reg" and ran it from the desktop. Now all my media is playing in WMC and WMP as it did before :))

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.divx] 
    "PerceivedType"="video" 

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.flv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"
    "Content Type"="video/x-flv"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m4v]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpe] 
    "PerceivedType"="video" 

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.MPE]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:46 AM
  • Same issue over here. From one day to another. PC is just a media centre and that's it. Only Windows 7 x64 on it. From one day over another video's won't play anymore in Media Center. Ok in Media Player but only sound in MC. 

I update the PC and MC with all the updates and I have a feeling now I should not have done so.

I have said it before and I say it again: FIRE STEVE BALMER and get an better CEO.

With this guy you never get over the Windows Blue Screen of Death image. We don't want software that runs on odd days and not on even days. And I am getting tired explaining to my friends when I want to show them something and it is not working that Windows 7 is a lot better.

To make it worse I have a 2 Windows Server 2008 R2 servers that for no reason at all (one time when I touched the non touch screen) crash with the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Image servers crashing!!!

He Microsoft. Did you promote the girl's site in a server and you accept they are having their period???

My advise: FIRE STEVE BALMER and get working or soon everybody is running Android/Mac OS-X or whatever.

Even as a Windows lover/geek I get tired of this ____. Windows is still as unsure as 9/11. It is bound to go down.

Roger

Saturday, June 05, 2010 9:33 PM
  • you say it works in media player but not media centre?

have you installed the 32 bit codecs aswell as the 64 bit codecs? heres why in case you are wondering,

in win 7 x64, there are to versions of Windows Media Player ( a 32 bit and 64 bit) the 32 bit version is the default (unless u  change the shortcut to point to the 64bit version)

even tho media player has both 32 and 64bit versions, media centre does not... it only has a 64 bit version...hense the reason why it would play in MP and not MC

hope this helps.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:32 AM
  • ARC_

I'm not very comfortable messing with reg editor, could you walk me through this step-by-step?

Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Marc, it's not even necessary to use the registry editor; just copy/paste everything below into Notepad, save it as fix_movie_associations.reg , double-click the saved file and confirm.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

"PerceivedType"="video" 

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.flv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m4v]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpe] 
    "PerceivedType"="video" 

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.MPE]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, August 16, 2010 10:03 AM
  • thanks guys... the reg settings helped fix this for me also!

MSFT really sucks at Media Center stuff... they should hire some of the XBMC coders. I'm only using MCE for the PVR so I figured I'd try it with all my media. I like XBMC way better but I may unfortunately stick with MCE until XBMC gets a PVR.

Monday, September 06, 2010 5:26 PM
  • how do i create a .reg file? it doesnt have the option to save as that???
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:34 AM
  • Deamonomic, you don't really need to pay attention to the type. If you just enter a file name like fix_movie_associations.reg , then it will be saved as a .reg file, regardless of the selected type.

Tim De Baets
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Thats only the case if you have set up your computer to show file extensions Tim, if not notepad will automatically save it as fix_move_associations.reg.txt

You should paste that info into notepad, then save as, change file type to "all types" and then save with the filename something.reg

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 5, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:00 PM
  • okay i got it saved now but when i try to run it i get this error:

Cannot import c:\users\deamonomic\desktop\fix_movie_associations.reg: the specified file type is not a registry script.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:17 PM
  • okay i got it saved now but when i try to run it i get this error:

Cannot import c:\users\deamonomic\desktop\fix_movie_associations.reg: the specified file type is not a registry script.

Make sure it says "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" at the top of that reg file (without quotes).
    Friday, October 08, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Isolved the problem by deleating all wmdb files in C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player and then red them in again with the media player! it worked perfictly at the end

Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Isolved the problem by deleating all wmdb files in C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player and then red them in again with the media player! it worked perfictly at the end

Get used to that. I have to do this almost every time I add new videos. WMP 12 is ____.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:28 PM
  • that was it.  solved my problem with videos and pictures.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 12:09 AM
  • It didn't work.

It said it added the extensions/associations but it still didn't display anything in the folders view.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:55 PM
  • GOOD GOD....THIS STILL ISN'T FIXED?!?   I too am experiencing the same thing.  However, my WMC was working properly until around about the time of a Windows update.  Too late to determine which now.  I went as far as wiping my primary HD (DoD compliant standards) and reinstalling Windows 7.  NO LUCK!!!  I have found threads of this exact problem all over the internet and yet no one has stepped up from Microsoft with help to us paying customers !!!
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:32 AM
  • I'm having the same issue - windows 7 x64 enterprise -official release, all the latest patches.   It does find wmv files but if I have an entire TV show in AVI, HD it does not add it to the library.   Frankly Windows Media Center is a HUGE dissapointment.   If it worked like kaleidescape, MS could sell a ton of additional Win liceses just for HT PCs.  I understand MS thinks WMV will catch on but frankly even kin was more popular than WMV.

MS needs to step up WMP on Windows 8 to include bluray playback, mkv playback and whatever it is that prevents it from even finding AVI files.   I can play back an HD AVI file manually by right clicking and playing with media center as well as media player but it won't add them to the library in Media Center for whatever reason.

I have a bunch of TV shows I put in a folder at the root of my system.  I've tried adding the folder to video settings, recorded TV and movies - it won't show any of the AVI files as being in the system for any of these.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:45 PM
  • After adding the reg hack to get around the limitations of Windows Media Center, I've come to the conclusion it needs a seriously better method for organizing libraries.

1.  You need to be able to edit the tags on AVI file including GENRE - you shouldn't have to add a 3rd party program to modify what already is listed in Windows Explorer.   You should be able to right click on a file in media center as well to modify the genre for an AVI file.

Several sub fields or layers of genre need to be added and Media Center should be able to organize by these in Movies (AVIs won't show up in recorded TV with the reg hack listed above).   E.G.   GENRE - TV SHOWS - GENRE SUBCATEGORY TYPE- COMEDY- GENRE SUBCATEGORY TV SHOW NAME- PSYCH - GENRE SUBCATEGORY  SEASON-  SEASON 1 -   you can label the fields however you like but imagine if you had about 30 TV shows, about 8 seasons on average per show and 18 shows on average per season - it is unweildly in the current implementation of Windows Media Center.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:51 AM
  • boe_d, that is not a limitation of Media Center or Explorer, but of the AVI format itself. AVI has very poor tagging support, and wasn't really designed with tagging in mind. If you want decent tag support, then it's advised to use another format that offers this, like WMV.
    Tim De Baets
    Friday, February 04, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Tim,

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but if rinky dink companies making 3rd party apps often as freeware, can make tags for for avi and other media files, you don't think MS could figure a way to do it as well?

When I used to post for many many years before Office 2010 was released that MS needed to have Outlook support mutliple exchange accounts someone would always post and say that isn't the way outlook works.   Things need to change to be improved.

Friday, February 04, 2011 6:54 PM
  • After working properly since RTM/first installation, all of a sudden WMC refuses to show me all the videos I have in my library in folder view. As others have noted, it works when you select "Date Taken."

I'm exhausted trying to figure it out. It's ridiculous. Deleting WMDB files. Removing libraries. Adding them back. Nothing.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:47 AM
  • I'm not trying to give you a hard time but if rinky dink companies making 3rd party apps often as freeware, can make tags for for avi and other media files, you don't think MS could figure a way to do it as well?

boe_d, MS might have chosen not to support AVI tagging because there are too many compatibility or stability issues, while the third-party developers didn't take these into consideration. It's always easy to blame MS if you don't know the full story.

Tim De Baets
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 4:55 PM
  • After working properly since RTM/first installation, all of a sudden WMC refuses to show me all the videos I have in my library in folder view. As others have noted, it works when you select "Date Taken."

I'm exhausted trying to figure it out. It's ridiculous. Deleting WMDB files. Removing libraries. Adding them back. Nothing.

HeresyProgramX, it looks like nobody here knows an answer (myself included). I suggest that you repost this at the  The Green Button forums , there are some WMC experts there.

Tim De Baets
    Monday, February 07, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Signed up and logged in just to tell you guys thanks! This was a pain in the rump for me and I tried all types of resetting to get the videos to return to Media Centre, you registry fix did the job – ‘high fives’ all around.

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Also created account to say thanks :)
    even though this thread was made a long time ago
    :D
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Hey guys,

Save the below into a *.reg file and run it.  It fixed my xvids with .avi extensions, and my *.mpg's.  I think the only thing I installed recently was winamp.  Anyway, good luck.

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
    "PerceivedType"="video"
    Thanks for the registry file! Tip to those who may still be having issues: My "PerceivedType" actually read "_PerceivedType" so I missed it at first. Worst case scenario, save the registry file (see below if you have extensions turned off) and run it anyways - just in case there's a misspelling.
    www.sflesch.com
    Saturday, April 02, 2011 3:28 AM
  • I found a easy way to do this, not sure if its been listed already.

I have my movies library on a NAS drive on my home network, this is a mapped network dirve, I can not index this drive so it will not let me add it to the library for videos

HOWEVER if I add a shortcut to my movies folder to my library folder it adds them to WMC haha.

I installed k-lite codec pack and then just added a shortcut to the folder and boom all my movies are listed in WMC

I also use media center master and it plugs all the meta data into WMC so I have all the album art and synopses as well.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Thank you very much to you and all the other folks on this forum! The registry fix did the trick for me after a long while of not being able to use Media Center in Win 7 x64 to browse videos. I had tried a few things such as rebuilding my computers index via the indexing options and also deleting the files under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome. I had pretty much resorted to using other tools such as VMC playlists, but glad I can now use Media Center again with my remote. Thanks again!!
    Friday, July 08, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

I struggled with my XP media centre not showing video files, despite them showing in WMP and trawled the forums for an answer. Eventually this is what i did.

Open Windows Media Player

Go to 'Tools' > Options> Library Tab

Change the setting which says 'skip files smaller than' to 1

Bingo.

All my videos then showed up in WMC

Hope this helps

Good luck
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:30 AM
  • Does no one from Microsoft read this forum? Or care? Seems like a pretty debilitating/wide spread failure. I have a client with  current all patched windows 7 32bit release. Nothing special, same problem. Worked for 4 months then nothing. I have tried all the suggested fixes here with no resolve. Just wondering if anyone knows anything new or where I might find an active group to resolve this. It works occasionally then nothing shows up. (except under date taken everything shows up and is showing in WMPlayer library as well)  

Please don't tell me this is another Oops it's broken.. don't know why?? So will pretend it's not scenario!  

Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:24 PM
  • karver1: I suggest that you repost this at the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home forums, there are some WMC experts there:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114.aspx

Tim De Baets
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:58 PM
  • I too am having this problem.

I've put a bunch of videos into a folder, then added that folder into the library.

I've added it to TV, Movies and Videos, but nothing shows in any of them.

What's going on?

My PC is Windows 7 and I'm extending it to an XBox 360.
    • Edited by jpswade Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:17 PM added details
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:15 PM

This worked for me.

I also installed K-lite Codec Pack to get some videos to work.

Update: This worked for about 5 minutes, then the library updated and they all disappeared again. The wmdb files did not recreate so I couldn't try deleting them again. I can only assume the problem lies somewhere else.

Update2: They come and go. On the PC they appear in WMC after a while, on the XBox360, they appear then it refreshes and they disappear. Then on the PC they are gone again but appear after a short while. Odd...

Update3: If I add all the videos from my TV folder into my Movies folder and remove the TV folder from the Movies library, I am able to view the videos without a problem. I guess this is just how I'll have to live with it.
    • Edited by jpswade Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:21 PM update3
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Problem solved!

i have just solved this problem, goto computer management and click on shares, right click on the folders that you are sharing on that drive and click stop sharing. restart computer, problem solved!

Problem solved!
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Thanks a Bunch for this post! I was having the same issue and was getting very frustrated. After applying this reg fix my issue was resolved. Thanks again all of you!
    Friday, November 25, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Also I think I know how this happened for me. I just remembered that last week I did a registry cleanup with CCleaner and I think that may have caused this.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for mentioning Nero.  Just before this problem started for me I installed Nero that came with my new DVD burner.  I uninstalled Nero VideoShow or whatever it's called, then ran the .reg file to fix file associations and I'm back in business!

Thanks all!

Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:49 PM
  • After installing Nero and other windows updates, Media Centre decided to no longer show my files. I tried several times to search for the files again and do all kinds of useless stuff.

This is the only fix I have managed to find. Great work thanks man.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Thanks arc_ running registry script worked great.  This issue is still alive and well in 2012

Problem may have arisen as a result of either:

Uninstalling RealPlayer or;

Shutting down computer in the middle of running "Update Media Information Changes" in WMP or;

using System Mechanic

I had to change file type association for .reg files to open with regedit because it kept opening Notepad when I double clicked on fix_movie_associations.reg

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:38 AM
  • This not a problem unique to Windows 7.    It is a problem with my Vista machine also.    I can view the videos by date but not by folers in Media Cente.r

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:26 PM
  • I used this "fix" and it messed up lots on my computer, firefox, dell dock, fax, etc. How can I undo this from my registry?
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:38 PM
  • How do you undo it? Not an expert and I messed up big time I think :(
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:40 PM
  • sharein38: which fix did you apply and what exactly do you mean with "messed up"?

You should be able to undo the fix by using System Restore to roll back to an earlier restore point.

Tim De Baets

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Does anyone have reg fix like this for various music file types?
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Phelixx: which music file types and for what purpose?

Tim De Baets

Sunday, July 29, 2012 4:06 PM
  • OK, I think I have sussed the problem, and it wasn't that hard in the end.

Go to settings -> Media Libraries and check each Library type to see if the problem folder is in there. If it is, remove it.
    After it has been removed from each Media type go back to Videos and re-add the folder.

I found my folder was under Both Videos and Recorded TV library types and think this was causing the problem.

My Folder shows up fine now.

YUP! Thanks for the tip, man this was annoying.
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:07 AM
  • I found that I associated my video files with Media Player and that took them out of the list. If I set the default program for the file type to MC then they came back

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:48 AM
  • The answer is so simple everyone will bang them selves in the head.

I fought with this for a while and found that if you go to your users video folder ie. C:\users\"username"\videos and go to the property's of videos you can change the location to the location of your video's this has enabled me to view the folders correctly in media center.

Friday, April 12, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Hi there...:). Try this. Uninstall any codecs you might be using now for Windows 7 and or 8. My fiance was using the Shark Codecs. He uninstalled them and installed CCCP Codecs. He can now see his video files in the folders in Windows Media Center.

Download CCCP Codecs. Hope it works for you! I would post the link but this site won't allow me to yet. Just Google it. :) Good luck!

Sunday, April 21, 2013 9:23 PM
  • I have noticed the same problem about one week ago.

In my case, besides video, Media Center can not see anymore the content of picture library also

It can see the folders structure but it cannot see the actual video or picture files. It seems that the codecs for video and picture reading are gone.

Media center still works for the music  library.

However, Windows Media Player works fine. 

I have spent a lot of time for fixing the issue with no success:

- removed Media center and Media player

- deleted the media center database

- re-installed Media center and media player and recreated the media database; Media player works, Media center has the same problem

My conclusion is that this problem is just another screw up from Microsoft delivered to us via a recent Windows update. We would need to wait for msft to fix it, if they are able! With so many different versions of windows, win 7, 8, 8 for surface, 8 for windows phone, msft seems to struggle big time in its attempt to converge them.  

Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:58 AM
  •  
    what version of windows do you have? did you ever try a system restore to when
    things were working?

did you install any new programs? if not, can you open a cmd prompt and run

sfc /scannow

if that does not fix the issue, try creating a new user with admin privileges
    (not the admin built in account) and see if you have the same problem.

On Sat, 18 May 2013 05:58:39 +0000, Dineros wrote:

>
    >
    >I have noticed the same problem about one week ago.
    >
    >In my case, besides video, Media Center can not see anymore the content of picture library also
    >
    >It can see the folders structure but it cannot see the actual video or picture files. It seems that the codecs for video and picture reading are gone.
    >
    >Media center still works for the music  library.
    >
    >However, Windows Media Player works fine. 
    >
    >I have spent a lot of time for fixing the issue with no success:
    >
    >- removed Media center and Media player
    >
    >- deleted the media center database
    >
    >- re-installed Media center and media player and recreated the media database; Media player works, Media center has the same problem
    >
    >My conclusion is that this problem is just another screw up from Microsoft delivered to us via a recent Windows update. We would need to wait for msft to fix it, if they are able! With so many different versions of windows, win 7, 8, 8 for surface, 8 for windows phone, msft seems to struggle big time in its attempt to converge them.  
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:04 AM
  • I have been trying for over a week to get my Videos Library to show up.  Nothing listed above has worked.  I decided to rename the folder in questions and everything magically started working again.  Hope this helps for others.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Similar to another solution above, I had an issue with My Videos (E:\Videos) not showing content in the MC Videos library. I tried removing and re-adding the folder to the Library without fixing the problem. I found that my Recorded TV library had also (somehow) been set to E:\ instead of E:\Recorded TV where it should be.

I adjusted the Recorded TV library location to be E:\Recorded TV, and then re-added E:\Videos to the Video library in Media Center and then it was able to find the folders/files within an display them in the Videos Library again.

I suspect media center doesnt behave well when adding the root of drives like E:\ to a Library and having a subfolder of that drive set as the location of another library.

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Another thing you can try, aside from the registry edit, is make your "libraries" are working and pointing to the folders you would like to view.  i originally tried the mentioned  registry edit and I still couldn't get my folders to show up.  i then pointed my video libraries in Explorer to the folders I wanted to view.  i had actually disabled the Libraries feature because it was annoying.  Once I re-enabled it, I pointed them to to folders I wanted to view in WMC and they finally showed up properly.  Hope this helps.
    Monday, January 06, 2014 2:51 AM
  • Marc, it's not even necessary to use the registry editor; just copy/paste everything below into Notepad, save it as fix_movie_associations.reg , double-click the saved file and confirm.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

"PerceivedType"="video" 

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.flv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m4v]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpe] 
    "PerceivedType"="video" 

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.MPE]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

Tim De Baets

So I tried "fix_movie_associations.reg"

I saved it on desktop and ran it.

It gave me an error " Can not import c:\users\hman\desktop\fix_movie_associations.reg. The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

What do I do now?

Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Same problem as above, and resolution/fix:

Suddenly all my video files disappeared from Windows Media Center, re-added the folders, removed and recreated the database didn't fix it. If I used Windows Media Player all my video files were there and played fine in WMP, in WMC the folders were there but I kept getting

there are no items in this library yet

If I went to view by date in WMC, the files were there and played fine!

Based on the above registry posts I had a look at my classes_root and for each video type the root of each node was empty. Something I'd installed in the last few weeks had taken out the Content Type and PerceivedType settings.

So to fix I used the above and saved the below as "fix_movie_associations.reg" and ran it from the desktop. Now all my media is playing in WMC and WMP as it did before :))

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

"PerceivedType"="video" 

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.flv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m4v]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpe] 
    "PerceivedType"="video" 

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.MPE]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"

So I tried "fix_movie_associations.reg"

I saved it on desktop and ran it.

It gave me an error " Can not import c:\users\hman\desktop\fix_movie_associations.reg. The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

What do I do now?

Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:20 PM
  • This worked, you are the man.  I have an external hard drive hooked up to my laptop, my xbox 360 media extender did not see the files. This worked.
    Saturday, February 01, 2014 1:33 AM
  • Make sure you are going to your Video Library not your Movie Library. They should show up. Make sure sub-folders are selected also. 
    Saturday, February 01, 2014 4:43 AM
  • make sure you put this in there at the top

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:01 AM