none
How to combine partitions in Windows 7?

Question

• I have 2 partitions on my 160GB disk, 21 and 128GB. That was not by my design, rather Win2000Pro did it  recently when I formatted the new disk.

When installing Windows 7 on that disk this evening, presumably overwriting W2k, I put W7 on the smaller partition. 12 GB are left on it. That partition is labeled drive C: The other has no designation, but somehow it has 7 GB of material on it.

How do I expand that small partition to encompass the whole disk? I see how to Shrink either one in Disk Managment, but the Expand option is grayed out.

It appears that I could designate the larger one drive D in the Disk Management > Action > All Tasks > Change Drive Letter and Paths. But then I am uncertain if applications that I may eventually have to install there will run properly. I would rather simplify the partitioning now while I have no apps on the drive.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

to make the small partition bigger you have to remove the bigger one so that there is enough space after the small one. After that you can resize the system partition to the wanted size and create a new one for the remaining space if you want.

Greetings

Christian
    Christian Groebner MVP Forefront
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

You can extend if the unallocated space is after the partition you want to extend. If the unallocated space is in front of the partition you want to extend, it can't be done.

regards from www.windowsadmin.info

ManuPhilip
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

First input Diskmgmt.msc in Start --- Search to start Disk Management. Please check if current situation is like this:

Drive C(21GB)  Drive D(128GB).

If so, we can delete Drive D and combine it to Drive C.

Note: Delete a partition will remove all data on it.

After combine, you can shrink Drive C to get a new and smaller Drive D.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:22 AM
  • Well, I had that problem too.

I just fixed it now and it was quite simple.

All you have to do is right click on the C Partition and highlight the Extend Partition.

Second, you'll see a screen that says how much you want to increase your partition to, and you can choose how much you can extend it.

If the other partition is smaller than your C drive then that means the Wizard will automatically put up the limit to how much your partition can have.

And Third, eh - there is no third step.

:D

Monday, March 29, 2010 10:25 PM
  • to:http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-manager/resize-partition-under-windows7.html to solve the trouble
    Monday, September 20, 2010 5:50 AM