none
video error files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. restart windows media center or restart the computer

Question

• Hi Folks;

Windows 7 Enterprise / Media Center

I'm having an issue which seems to indicate a bug or design problem in Media Center. When I go to play a file from the Recorded TV folder I often see this error message;

video error files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. restart windows media center or restart the computer

Program are recorded in .wtv format and one complete they are then moved to a temp directory where they are converted to .dvr-ms and the commercials are removed. At that point, the .dvr-ms file is moved back to the recorded TV folder.

If I then click on one of the .dvr-ms files I will get the error message above. If I wait a long time, the file will play as normal. I have noticed that the hard disk light is locked on after the file has been moved to the recorded TV folder.

It seems as if Media Center itself is doing something to that file and that access to it is locked out until Media Center has completed whatever it's doing.

Any ideas on what Media Center is doing when it locks out that file?

• Edited by Dave Onex Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave Onex,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with topic to further look at this. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:50 AM
  • Microsoft does not support the removal of commercials and other editing made to WTV/DVR-MS files. We only provide the tool to convert. The error is most likely caused by the edits made, if they aren't done properly Media Center may not play back the content correctly. Another reason for the initial problem may be indexing and thumbnail generation locking the file. Process Monitor or Process Explorer can be used to monitor when the file is in and isn't in use. An example of a user having issues with gaps in content after converting can be found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/170712-gaps-wtv-recordings.html.
    Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:16 AM
  •  Another reason for the initial problem may be indexing and thumbnail generation locking the file. Process Monitor or Process Explorer can be used to monitor when the file is in and isn't in use.

I think that's what the actual issue is. The splices are done properly but it seems when the file gets moved back into the Recorded TV folder Media Center re-indexes the entire file. I don't know why it does that but when I view the disk activity in Resource Monitor it's clear that it's scanning the entire file from start to finish.

With Media Center in XP it never did that. It would just look at the file briefly and then generate an icon for it and it was ready. So something has changed in the way Media Center looks at those files in the Recorded TV folder.

What I know for certain is that until Media Center 7 fully indexes every single file it won't play them and that result in the lengthy delay.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Hi,

Did you get this sorted?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Did you get this sorted?

No, I gave up on it. A lot of the 'improvements' with newer Microsoft products have brought me to the same place. This always worked fine with XP's Media Center but alas...no more.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:03 PM