none
Windows 7 - Boots fine in standard mode, will not boot in safe mode

Question

• Installed Windows7, everything working great.

Because Windows 7 won't let me force a resolution on an LCD screen and insists on it being 1024X768 I want to run Windows 7 in safe mode, which WILL let me bump the resolution.

SO, I boot to safe mode and it hangs at classpnp.sys.  Tried recovery console, renamed classpnp.sys, still fails at that.

How can I either get past the classpnp.sys or force Windows 7 in regular mode to let me set higher resolution?

Thanks!

Tim Macking MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, CCNA
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:55 PM

Answers

• try to check your HDD with chkdsk /r /f.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, August 23, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Do you have any external USB hard disk connected to the computer? If so, please unplug the external USB hard disk and see if you can boot in Safe Mode.

There are a couple of similar issues in forums that you can visit for references:

“classpnp.sys” “Windows 7”

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:53 AM

All replies

• try to check your HDD with chkdsk /r /f.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, August 23, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Do you have any external USB hard disk connected to the computer? If so, please unplug the external USB hard disk and see if you can boot in Safe Mode.

There are a couple of similar issues in forums that you can visit for references:

“classpnp.sys” “Windows 7”

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:35 AM