none
Installing Hyper-V on Windows 7

Question

• Hi!

I installed Hyper-V on Windows 7, but when I try to connect to local host, the follow message appears:

"Hyper-V has not been installed on computer localhost""

Someone can help me?

Regards

Monday, June 20, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Rick Dee is right, the Hyper -V is a feature of Windows server 2008, it does not apply to Windows 7.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Hyper-V MUST be installed on Windows Server 2008 R2.  Hyper-V will NOT run on Windows 7!

There is nothing posted on the Microsoft website that implies Hyper-V can be installed on Windows 7!

Read the info @ http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/default.aspx

It does not mention anything about installing Hyper-V on windows 7!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hyper-V MUST be installed on Windows Server 2008 R2.  Hyper-V will NOT run on Windows 7!

There is nothing posted on the Microsoft website that implies Hyper-V can be installed on Windows 7!

Read the info @ http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/default.aspx

It does not mention anything about installing Hyper-V on windows 7!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

Rick Dee is right, the Hyper -V is a feature of Windows server 2008, it does not apply to Windows 7.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Hi all,

Do you know if there is a way to use a VHD file higher than 127go in Virtual PC or other tools like that????

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:23 PM
  • try oracle virtual box on windows 7
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Hyper-V MUST be installed on Windows Server 2008 R2. Hyper-V willNOT run on Windows 7!

Also it will be ship with windows 8.. so if u want to use  try win 8 dev prevew

Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

I think no body really noticed the question, the guy has already installed Hyper-V on his windows 7 and yes the same error I am having, the patch called Windows server tools http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794756(v=ws.10).aspx, and through some RND I understand that this tool installed Managment console for Hyper-V for remote administration of Hyper-V server on some other windows R2 that's why in configuration every where i found that it says right click server node and add remote server when you i use local server i had the same error and finally i realize that i have to installed Win 2008 R2  Below is the image for your reference where i have installed hyper v administration tool pack on win 7

• Proposed as answer by Adarsh.Acharya Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:54 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:34 PM
  • You have installed Hyper-V tools not Hyper-V on windows 7.. You can only install Hyper-V tools in windows 7. However in Windows 8 you can install Hyper-V for virtualization  .....
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:58 AM
  • On this same topic.  Is there a MS tool much like VPC or XP-Mode which would allow me to create a Windows 7 64 machine on a Windows 7 machine?  Something similar to VM Workstation?

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:02 PM
  • On this same topic.  Is there a MS tool much like VPC or XP-Mode which would allow me to create a Windows 7 64 machine on a Windows 7 machine?  Something similar to VM Workstation?

Thanks,

Mike

Rom255

Have you read the information posted on the respective websites for Virtualbox and VMware Player?

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:32 AM
  • Hello,

There is a solution, you 'll still be able to run a virtual machine on Windows 7. You've got to first create a Virtual Hard disk (vhd) then install Windows Server 2008R2 on it by WIM2VHD. Create a boot entry by bcdedit. Then you have your new environment where you can install hyper-V!

Bye, Sébastien

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:46 PM
  • Hello,

There is a solution, you 'll still be able to run a virtual machine on Windows 7. You've got to first create a Virtual Hard disk (vhd) then install Windows Server 2008R2 on it by WIM2VHD. Create a boot entry by bcdedit. Then you have your new environment where you can install hyper-V!

Bye, Sébastien

Please explain how you can run Hyper-V in Windows 7 if you install Server 2008 R2 in a VHD.  The Server 2008 R@ VHD is a separate environment on the HDD.  When you boot the Server 2008 R2 VHD you are not running Windows 7.

Read the information found @ http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129475-boot-windows-7-from-vhd-an-amazing-concept/ about booting from VHD.  Your method of creating the Server 2008 R2 VHD will not work.  Server 2008 R@ must be installed to its own separate VHD the same as with the Windows 7 VHD.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:11 PM