Strange folder behavior in left pane of Windows Explorer

Question

• When navigating windows explorer, if you double click to expand a folder on the left pane the focus under your mouse starts out on top of the folder you double clicked, this what you would expect.

If you continue doing this and need to slide the vertical scroll bar for the left pane or use your scroll wheel on the left pane at that point when you double click any folder to expand it, the folder moves from under your mouse cursor down close to the bottom of the pane. 

Any folder you double click from then on jumps down close to the bottom of the left pane instead of simply expanding under your cursor like you would expect.

Is this the way explorer should be working?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:06 PM

All replies

• Mine does the same thing. Bizarre I know, as I'm not use to it jumping down to the bottom of the screen, you would expect it to open the folder and stay open and NOT jump down. 
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Yeah, looks like Windows Explorer has some bugs in it that XP didn't have.  Especially using a scroll mouse wheel.  
    Friday, January 30, 2009 1:36 AM
  • It's not a bug it's how windows explorer actually works in Win7.

In Windows Explorer follow these steps to turn off the odd behaviour!

Goto Tools... Folder Options...General Tab...Navigation Pane
    uncheck Automatically expand to current folder
    click Apply... Click OK ... Exit Windows Explorer.

Now try again and it should work just like Windows Explorer in XP/Vista!

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit) Build 7000 [Beta 1] Hardware: HDD: Hitachi 320GB SATA, RAM 2GB DDR2 800, GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3450 512MB GDDR2, ODD: ASUS DVD±RW DL LS.
    • Edited by Anthony Pitts Friday, February 06, 2009 7:22 AM spelling correction
    Friday, February 06, 2009 7:14 AM
  • I did what you suggested (even rebooted) and it still does it.   Its a bug.

Friday, February 13, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Your tip worked perfectly; thanks for that. Strange "feature"; cannot imagine how it would be helpful.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Not working - I see the same behaviour, but it's random which subfolders expand nicely and which ones behaves as the original poster. I claim 'bug' too.

What I see is this:

I double-click and one of 3 things happen:

1) The next level of folders beneath the clicked folder is expanded - no re-posiitioning of the parent folder

2) If the list of subfolders beneath the parent folder expands beyond the bottom of the navigation pane, the tree-list is repositioned so the last of the subfolders is visible

3) (and this is the annoying bit) The list of subfolders is shown, but the navigation pane repositions itself so that only the first of the subfolders is shown on the list of subfolders) - this makes it really really really frustrating when using the navigation pane to navigate up and down in the folder-tree.

This was the case in the beta, and is also the case in RC.

EDIT:
    I made a demo-video here

The resolution is not great, but in fullscreen-mode it's clear what I mean.

This is done with 'automatically expand to current folder' turned off (even though this apparently only has any effect when opening folders from the search-bar).

Cheers
    • Edited by renemikkelsen Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:13 AM Clickable link
    • Proposed as answer by lkjjlasdf Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Ive noticed this too since the beta. It really winds me up! No way its meant to do that (thanks for the video Renemikkelsen), and how did the beta or the RC get out the door with this behaviour?

If I turn that checkbox off it gets worse for me.

Microsoft please fix this really annoying bug before I burst a blood vessel!!!
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Just installed 7 last week. Generally a nice interface.

I'm having the same erratic behavior with the folder navigation. It is the same as you described.  This is extremely frustrating. 
    I thought my mouse was acting weird... I reinstalled the driver just in case.

I tried to shut off this new "Feature" but it did not make any difference.

Happy 4th!

<3 Presto.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 1:39 AM
  • I wanted to add my voice to this thread. The fix suggested by Anthony Pitts does not work. This is a bug in Windows Explorer and I find it very annoying. If this makes it into RTM I'll just wait 20 years for computers to become usable. Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 10:07 PM
  • I have this behavior on three (out of three) machines.

It is very annoying and removes the usefullness of the navigation pane.  I am better off using the dropdowns in the "breadcrumbs".

This is most definately a bug.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Is there a way to turn this navigation pane off? (I think it was called Folders in XP) It drives me nuts just having it there.
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Is there a way to turn this navigation pane off? (I think it was called Folders in XP) It drives me nuts just having it there.
    Just select Organize\Layout\Navigation Pane.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 12:25 AM
  • Thanks, I tried it and it works!

Now is there a way to restore something similar to the file and folder tasks there?
    You might think this is crazy, but I like that left side to NOT be plain-jane with nothing there, but I don't like the "navigation pane". Call me crazy, but that's what I like.

I voted your post as helpful, thanks!
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, I tried it before I read your post, it didn't work directly, I've waited a few minutes, and now it's behaving properly !

I've another thing : in XP, by clicking on a folder in the navigation pane, it usually expanded the folder and you could see all sub-folders in the navigation pane. This is not the case with Win7. Is there an option I missed somewhere for that as well ?

Thanks !
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:38 AM
  • I made a comment about this on another forum and an MS person answered it with a thank u for ur comments.
    It is surely a PITA.

But Anthony's answer seems to do the trick. thanks
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:00 PM
  • I HATE this behavior! I have lots of folders in folders and working all of the day with them.
    It sicks me up! Everytime double clicked, it throws the folders down! VERY ANNOYING!!!
    If it won't be fixed (the rtm is the same by the way), i'm going to continue with vista!
    Please fix it. Or, have an option!
    Have an option for horizontal auto scrolling (vista style), or scrool bar (xp style), too!
    In Windows 7, there is nothing. I can't believe! This is very annoying, too.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:36 AM
  • Gui-Wan, I agree with you 100%.

It really ticks me off.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:21 PM
  • +1 to the list of comments that this is a particularly frustrating bug.

Windows Explorer now generally presents the feel of having the things you are trying to click on jump out from under you.  Not good at all.

Anthony's suggestion may help, but it leaves one thing to be desired:

I have an icon I wish to have open to the root of drive C:\.  With the "Automatically expand to current folder" option turned off when I start Explorer via that icon it doesn't start on C:\ in the Navigation pane, but rather on Computer.  That makes the downside outweigh the benefit of unchecking that setting.

And really, "Automatically Expand to Current Folder" has nothing to do with the Navigation pane scrolling around wildly.  That's just plain bad programming.

-Noel
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 6:21 AM
  • Anyone find a fix for this yet? I hope this isn't the sort of thing that makes it into final versions. I'm starting to really dislike Windows Explorer.

Friday, August 14, 2009 5:57 PM
  • . . . I'm starting to really dislike Windows Explorer.

Yeah, me too.

If we don't find a fix, I may have to go third party.  I would hate that.  It isn't the money, it's the whole concept.  Why should we have to pay for something that should be, and used to be, built in.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:33 PM
  • MS has heard about this a long time ago.
    "Thanks for your comment" was the answer I got.

WHY can't they improve things instead of breaking them?

really pisses me off.

But then they couldn't be arrogant and it wouldn't be M$ anymore.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Still no fix for this?
    For this annoying behaivor I'm using Vista instead of 7.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:58 AM
  • I am having the same Problem and would love to see this fixed. Any chance for a Hotfix? Or just a simple Registry Key Change? I don't want to use thirdparty Software. (I could use Linux then...)

Windows 7 (x64) Build 7600.16385.amd64
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Why don't they just leave windows explorer alone!?!?!?
    It was working perfectly in XP.

This bug will need to be fixed before i upgrade to W7

Add this to the other bugs
    Missing Tree Lines
    Fading arrows that should be a plus/minus that stays put

All they've done is add fluff and delete features that make all this intuitive and usable.

At the end of the day, Vista/7 doesn't resemble the windows i know... So i might as well try and learn OS X or Ubuntu... it takes the same amount of learning....
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Yes, it has made it to the final release. This is sad and very annoying. Having my selected root folder jump out from underneath me and the treeview scroll in some unpredictable position is rather annoying.

MS, Please put a fix out for this soon!!!
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:00 AM
  • U think that is a problem. How about these............

Did U know that WE can't search the libraries???????????

Well, it can make u think it is, but try searching for something U know is there.
    NO RESULTS.
    U have to navigate ur way the the actual folder and search there.

try this

make files with these names

GC14NZP.loc
    GC16ZB3.loc
    GC1865G.loc
    GC19HPC.loc
    GC1A11F.loc
    GC1AB30.loc
    GC1AB3F.loc
    GC1AB4D.loc
    GC1AB4J.loc
    GC1AQRP.loc

now sort them alpha ascending.
    I'll bet it looks like this

GC1A11F.loc
    GC1AB3F.loc
    GC1AB4D.loc
    GC1AB4J.loc
    GC1AB30.loc
    GC1AQRP.loc
    GC14NZP.loc
    GC16ZB3.loc
    GC1865G.loc
    GC19HPC.loc

Herein lies the reason M$ can't get anything right the first time. Their ASCII code chart is all screwed up.

Maybe we will have a functional WE around SP3. Ya think....
    Yeah, maybe too much to ask...
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:13 AM
  • I was able to prevent this by clicking on the organize button, folder and search options, and check the box "automatically expand to current folder" and ok and close. The pointer stays put and the list does not move. Try it.

The new "logic" for default settings is frustrating many. Oh, well, it's change.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:49 AM
  • It doesn't prevent this issue.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Are there any solutions for this problem? I'm not using Windows 7 only for this annoying reason.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:31 AM
  • changing the options in the tools menu worked for me for like 2 minutes. then it started it again.. changing it back made it worse.. it does it all the time now.. no matter what I do with the options menu.. 

turning off the navigation pane is not my thang.. I need it.. it's how I navigate my harddrives. did microshaft do this to try to get people to not look at what is on harddrives? It was not broken before.. no need to make it different. I love win7.. I really do.. but why take away the simple things that made xp so good? what is wrong microsoft? "well.. lets give em a good os to make up for vista.. but lets put a few things in there to ____ them off" thanx guys.. good thinking.. it's all of us peeps that have been using windows since back in the days of 3.1 and even dos that have been loyal to ya... we like the way things worked with file management.. 

messing up the file management part of windows is not the way to get more users.. or keep the old ones.. Ubuntu is catching up to you.

I'm not saying that your bad.. but your doing stupid stuff for an expensive product, and there is an alternative that is free.. and getting to be right up there
    with you in all aspects of running proggies and just being able to get stuff done.. not to mention the same old stupid thing with locking up.. freezing up.. where windows will not report what it's doing.. when it's doing SUMTHING.. but sits there forever with no change on the screen.. even on the best of computers with the best of ram and proccessors and harddrives and anitivirus and all.. no difference.. windows still stutters... and does not give a reason why..

why not just throw up any ol message telling the user what is goin on.. no matter what it may be.. just so the user does not get so pissed to the point of throwing away the pc and buying a mac or switching to linux. you could have saved yourself a shitload of cash.. or should I say.. you probably would have made more by now.. if you wouldn't keep everything that's vital in windows such a dam secret.. and preventing the user of the machine they bought from knowing how to fix problems because your os does not offer solutions that work in critical situations. 

It is the consumer that is gonna have the most to say about your product.. even though big business is your profit.. they don't care. when stuff stops working they call you. and your techs come and fix it for a price that is insane.. but big business depends on it.. so price is not an issue.. 

with your everyday peeps.. price is an issue.. and your killing your non-business market with these little issues in the os that have a tendency to make people wonder .. "why don't you fix that little thing.. is it too much to ask for 5 minutes of re-thinking that little piece of code?"

Again.. nothing against windows 7 .. it is by far the best yet.. but PLEASE think about the people that use windows at home.. we are not all rich. We have lives to live, not money to burn.

By the way.... the only reason I'm here on this forum is cause I've been searching for bout 3 hours trying to find a solution to the the problem with expanding a folder in windows explorer.. and it jumping down like it does.. this is extremely annoying and it takes up alot of my time when I'm looking for a file..  and no.. I do not use the Indexing service.. it is a general slow down for modern computers... just another background process that acts like big brother and is not needed.. another thing that should be an option to turn on.. instead of just being turned on when windows is installed, like so many other processes that are turned on by default.. that you hide from the user.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Their ASCII code chart is all screwed up.
    This is the numeric sort order which was introduced in Vista. Numeric sub-strings are sorted by value rather than ASCII code.
    BTW, you're more likely to get GC19HPC before GC1865G, as 19 < 1865!

Starting with Windows 7, you can turn this off using Group Policy:
    1. Start -> gpedit.msc -> <Enter>;
    2. User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer;
    3. Turn off numerical sorting in Windows Explorer;
    This policy setting allows you to have file names sorted literally (as in Windows 2000 and earlier) rather than in numerical order.
    If you enable this policy setting, Windows Explorer will sort file names by each digit in a file name (for example, 111 < 22 < 3).
    If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Windows Explorer will sort file names by increasing number value (for example, 3 < 22 < 111).
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Changing the "automatically expand to current folder" option doesn't fix it on my 7 RTM PC.

It's fairly easy to reproduce:
    1. Expand enough folders to show the scroll-bar in the navigation pane;
    2. Scroll down the navigation pane;
    3. Select a collapsed folder which has sub-folders;
    4. Click on the arrow to expand the folder;
    5. The navigation page scrolls up so that the selected folder is at the bottom of the list.
    It doesn't seem to happen if the folder has already been expanded, or if the folder is already at the bottom of the navigation pane. It also doesn't seem to happen if the folder being expanded is not selected.

Does anyone know if there's a standard place to report Windows bugs? Something similar to Connect would be useful.
    • Proposed as answer by aliendogstar74 Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:08 AM
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 4:20 PM
  • I can only confirm this behaviour in Explorer and I don't understand the concept behind it...I need to scroll a lot since I have dozens of folders in the left pane. In Vista the folder would center in the pane and it would try to make the subfolders visible on the left, which keeps it easy and obvious where one is when browsing through folders.

An optional update with the behaviour from Vista would be most welcome (and yes, I liked Vista ;-) though 7's speed is a clear winner).
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I too have this bug.  I'm using a NFR version of Windows Ultimate so it's the final version.

It's crazy because when I open a folder that's got a load of other folders under it the folder tree jumps down, meaning that a load of the sub-folders of the folder I opened have gone off the bottom of the screen meaning that I then need to scroll to get back to them.  No way is this desired functionality, no usability tester in their right mind would pass this!

This behaviour was the same from a fresh install and changing the automatically expand folders option makes no difference so it's not a result of that setting (even if it were it would still be a bug).

I hope it's fixed with an update VERY soon as it's really annoying.

On another Windows Explorer matter, in the hope that someone from MS development reads this, please can we have the ability to add folder size as a column so if I go into a top folder I can see the total size of each sub-folder listed.  This seems a fairly basic and obvious thing to me but it's never been there for some reason.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Does Microsoft aware of this bug?
    We're waiting for a fix.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:47 PM
  • I'd like to report this happens in Windows 7 Enterprise RTM.

Turning 'Automatically expand to current folder' on or off makes no difference.

To reproduce the problem click a number of collapsed folders in the navigation pane in turn then expand the currently selected folder. The selected folder is likely to jump to the bottom of the pane. It is random but does occur often enough to be annoying.

Friday, October 16, 2009 9:02 AM
  • Yeah, it really sucks.

This, by it's self, is enough to make me not want to use Windows 7.

Don't even start about all the rest of the major downgrades in the interface.

It is hard to believe they ended up programming explorer that way.  Whether it was by design or accident, you would think they would have changed it by the time of the RC, much less the RTM.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Can a Microsoft representative please respond to this issue?

I paid a lot of money for Windows 7, and this bug is really affecting my use of the software.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:00 PM
  • A MS person replied to a post I put up a long time ago before RTM.

Design intent.

What else would you expect?

There are  quite a few bugs in WE.
    One is that it doesn't sort like any natural person would expect. I don't even consider it a sort.
    Another is that the bug u speak of is random. It will actually do various things at various times.
    Another is that whatever is causing it affects any program that presents a window to browse folders/files and not just WE
    Another is that search doesn't work at all in the libraries. U must go directly to the actual folder - any search done in the libraries will return nothing even though it looks like it is searching.

Maybe we can get it onto an Apple commercial. Think they would address it then???????
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:49 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:31 AM
  • Anthony Pitts
    That is not true. If you open a link in the desktop to some folder, when the explorer opens that folder is down, down on the column, hidden screens away down and out of sight.

This explorer without horizontal scrolling and hiding the the folders under the right pane of the navigation is real trash. AS someone wrote in this thred, "All they've done is add fluff and delete features that make all this intuitive and usable." Better move to a Linux system. Anyway, everytime a new version comes out we have to learn all the silly new tricks for money and not for efficiency, taking features away and replacing them with shiny rubish.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Yeah, they are a bunch of lazy guys just waiting for the pay they don't deserve.
    • Proposed as answer by BlowFeld20K Monday, November 30, 2009 5:29 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:20 AM
  • wipfler

Honestly, why should they care or drop their arrogance? Aren't you saying that whatever you'll stay with them? So what? If you feel so pissed off and believe you are paying too much for something that has become pure rubbish, why don't you change and move to a Linux system? What keeps you from doing that? Nostalgia from the good old times of 3.1 and 95? Forget it and do what is best to you.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:40 AM
  • They shouted madly that they LISTENED to people! The bloody liars.
    • Proposed as answer by BlowFeld20K Monday, November 30, 2009 5:28 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:50 AM
  • SORRY FOR THE MESSY "PROPOSE AS ANSWERS" WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION WHEN I TRIED TO POST.

Hi folks
              Yeah i just 'upgraded' or so my M$ political indoctrination office tells me i did, to Win7, and am full to the freekin teeth of the same frustrations you guys have.

wipfler
    is right on the money with his analysis of the obvious mistakes that have been deliberately allowed to fester within Win7. A mindless drive to alter things to no logical purpose, and a complete lack of the 1st year computing course foresight to give users a simple way to enable interface behaviours they are familiar with.

However i completely disagree that guys at M$ are:-
                                                                               A: Stupid
                                                                               B: Lazy
                                                                               C: incompetent

The truth is it would be comforting and somewhat reassuring if the code monkeys and software engineers at M$ did possess these all to understandable human failings.
    But the honest and distressing truth is ........ M$ employ some of the most intelligent and capable software teams on the planet. Over the years i have know quite a few Microserfs and i have put most of them right up there amongst the most intelligent people i have ever known.

If you think about the scenario am outlining is even more horrific than the bog standard A: B: and C: explanations for some of the incomprehensible garbage that always seems to leak into a new M$ OS.
    Very intelligent capable software teams are somehow turning out software solutions that you'd get a D or even an E for on any Comp science course in the civilised world, but am pretty certain the software teams are not the responsible parties in this .......... marketing suits and their intellectually challenged focus group mentality, trend analysts and their need to justify their very existence by convincing decision makers 'the public needs us to move in this direction' i am certain are the real culprits.

I have heard quite a few Ex M$ and current employees state quite clearly that intelligent functional coding and design often get sidelined by what can only be described as 'marketing road map imperatives'. Until M$ sort this out the lamentations of old skool users like us will happen every time they release a new OS.

Also M$ need to stop further macifying each new Windows version, i have no issue with Macs, but the average Mac user struggles to tell the difference between a USB port, an EEE1394, and a PS2 socket, is this really the level of user knowledge you wish to encourage.

I just joined this site 10mins ago so i could offload all this ____ on someone who might understand, and its now 5.20am UK local time, so you can guess how monumentally p!$$3ᴆ off about it i am. Its like a firm keep producing these 1.5ltr clean burning 6 seat 200BHP convertible cars, but they have gear sticks and steering wheels with broken glass sicking out of them.
    Ok now i've got all that of my chest am going to take a cold show and carve Linux penguins into the most sensitive flesh on my body.
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Monday, November 30, 2009 7:38 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 5:31 AM
  • BlowFeld, I agree with you.

I have thought all along that all this bull we are seeing was based on marketing decisions.

We have been seeing this ____ for a good part of this millenium.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Is there any hope of this bug being fixed in the near future.  My work productivity is being dragged down by this constant jumping around in the file tree and I will probably have to uninstall Windows 7 pretty soon.  If it will help, I could post a screencast of this behavior.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:27 AM
  • WE is going to require a complete overhaul. There are too many bugs in it and all most people see is this left pane issue.

WE can't search in the libraries. It looks like it is but never returns results.
    WE doesn't sort files to any code I have ever seen.
    When files get added to a folder u are viewing they may or may not appear. I had to shut down WE and restart it to be able to see files in a folder today.
    When one scrolls thru folders in the left pane with arrow keys, the right pane does not follow the left pane. It remains showing the last one clicked on. IE, if u don't click on a folder in the left pane it won't show it to u. So much for kbd shortcuts.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree that these are mktg decisions that created this mess.

After all the BIG issues with Vista and the previous failing of ME and all the years of practice M$ has had, one would think they wouldn't let this kind of ____ out the door, ESPECIALLY when they had a perfectly good WE in XP.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:31 AM
  • quite possibly the most annoying bug in the world, forcing me to click on the little arrows instead, which requires much finer mouse control, and is giving my hand more daily strain than it should have. it seems like such a trivial thing - the double click should do the same as clicking the expand/collapse icon? *sigh* - glad to see other people are finding this annoying as well.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:42 AM
  • If I double click on a folder that is at the bottom of the folder pane, because I want to focus on it and expand it, instead it focuses on the one I clicked alright, but it expands the folder below it.

That has to be a bug.  It detects the double click because it expands, but the first click is applied to one folder and the second to the next.  Between one click and the next, it has shifted the folder pane up one line.  Completely illogical.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:39 PM
  • I have this strange folder pane issue too. I did the Home Premium upgrade from Home Premium Vista 32. This issue has to be fixed or somebody will develop a work-around to bring Vista's WE into 7. Somebody already did it for Windows Mail, which somebody screwed up and strangely left it hanging out there without fully implementing it, or at least giving the end user a choice to install it or not.

I develop software for a living and believe me, something like this would have been a glaring issue from the get-go with me and my team.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Damn still no fix for this and its been a year later??? gezzzzz We should just have a contest, call it leap folder. I bet my folder can jump farther then your folder. And the winner whos folder jumps the farthest gets the most pissed off lol
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Windows 7 is great. Best windows yet. How they could let this incredibly annoying and surely quite basic bug slip through unnoticed is beyond me. Come on Microsoft sort it out.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:47 PM
  • I have found the ways to remove several things I never want to use from the Explorer navigation pane:  Favorites, Libraries, and Homegroup.  This has the effect of reducing visual clutter, moving the stuff I DO want to use up to the top, and making it less likely things will jump around after I have opened Explorer (e.g., right as I'm trying to click on them).

Note:  This post involves modifying the registry.  This is not to be taken lightly.  If you undertake registry modifications, make backups, make notes on what you're doing and what you've changed, and be extremely careful!  If you're not confidently familiar with making registry modifications, don't do it!   If you don't absolutely know that you don't want these things in the Explorer Navigation Pane, don't do it!

The information here is being provided for reference only.  I have only tested it on 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

I do NOT recommend you undertake this modification on a system that you need to use for any critical purpose whatsoever, and I cannot take responsibility for any fault that may occur on a system after these modifications are attempted.  If something goes wrong, return the registry values to their default settings and/or reenable the services.

Of course, you'll need to use administrator privileges to make these changes.

Note that before making each of the registry modifications you will need to change the permissions on the registry key so that you can write to it.  If you don't know how to do this you probably shouldn't be undertaking these modifications.

These changes affect all users, and they take effect immediately.

To remove Favorites, change this registry value:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder]
          "Attributes"=dword:a9400100

To restore Favorites to its default setting (i.e., so it shows):

"Attributes"=dword:a0900100

To remove Libraries, change this registry value:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder]
          "Attributes"=dword:b090010d

To restore Libraries to its default setting (i.e., so it shows):

"Attributes"=dword:b080010d

To remove Homegroup (and stop Homegroup networking functionality):

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> HomeGroup, and click on Leave the homegroup link to unjoin from any existing home group.

Note: If the home group are shared and hosted from the PC, all HomeGroup connections will be disconnected.

1.      Click on Leave the homegroup and confirm.  In the future, if you want to use Homegroup networking you can create a homegroup using this same dialog.

2.      Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools, and double click on Services. Alternatively, type services.msc in Start Search.

3.      For each of the following two services:

HomeGroup Listener
    HomeGroup Provider

Do the following:

Stop the service, and then double click on the service to open Properties dialog, and set its
    Startup type to Disabled. Click OK when done.  In order to reinstate Homegroup functionality in the future, you will want to set the Startup type back to Manual.

4.      The HomeGroup icon and group will no longer be shown in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer in Windows 7.  Note that this does not interrupt "traditional" windows networking functionality (e.g., Map Network Drive).

Please let me know if you find this useful.

Enjoy your clean Navigation pane!

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:44 PM
    • Proposed as answer by tastyyum Friday, December 18, 2009 7:42 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING.........
    Why is it that every post except mine is ONLY complaining about the ONE issue with WE.

The others I have outlined are far more serious - unless it is because it is only me who is seeing them. I would sure like to know if it is.

NOEL

Where did u come up with the numbers to implement ur changes?????????

If u don't want to edit the reg manually to do Neol's mod u can always make a reg file to do it
    I HAVE NOT TESTED NOEL'S mods, so don't call me if it doesn't work.

copy and paste the following into a notepad file to change settings-name it "filename.REG"
    where "filename" is a unique name
    ===================================================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;To remove Favorites, change this registry value:

;To remove Libraries, change this registry value:

"Attributes"=dword:b090010d

================================================================

copy and paste the following into a notepad file to restore settings-name it "anotherfilename.REG"
    where "anotherfilename" is a different unique name.

==============================================================

;To restore Favorites to its default setting (i.e., so it shows):

"Attributes"=dword:a0900100

;To restore Libraries to its default setting (i.e., so it shows):

"Attributes"=dword:b080010d

==============================================================
    doubleclick the resulting file for the action u wish.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Lots of internet research and experimentation.

-Noel
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:45 PM
  • I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING.........
    Why is it that every post except mine is ONLY complaining about the ONE issue with WE.

The others I have outlined are far more serious

Maybe it has something to do with the topic of this thread:

Strange folder behavior in left pane of Windows Explorer

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:35 PM
  • I guess ur right.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Thank you very much.. the reg change worked. I did have a problem changing the value to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder]
          "Attributes"=dword:a9400100 even after changing permissions. I couldnt change a900100 to a9400100... soooooo what I did was to
    rename Attributes to Attributess and then add my own Attributes in with the a9400100 value and that worked. No more Favorites poop poop. I got rid of HomeGroup and Libraries BS I couldnt stand or even wanted.. As a side effect of removing all that junk there is no more folder jumping to the bottem and then I have to bring it back to where I want it. Finalllllllyyyyy I Dont have to worry about moving or copy data to the wrong folder because of crazzy jumping folders act like they got jumping beans in them lol

By the way im on windows 7 64 BIT
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Glad to be of help.

That was my experience as well.  This is a workaround at best, but it does tend to settle that pane down. 

I don't mind giving up some functionality I'm not going to use anyway to make things work in a more predictable way.

What pushed me over the edge to do this was that I dropped an important folder of files on a folder, but at that exact moment the navigation pane must have jumped without my noticing, and I didn't actually figure out what had happened right away.  When I did find them missing, it took me quite a while to find them as the Explorer search initially failed to turn them up (they actually ended up in a subfolder under C:\WINDOWS somewhere).  Not a pleasant experience.

-Noel
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Glad to be of help.

That was my experience as well.  This is a workaround at best, but it does tend to settle that pane down. 

I don't mind giving up some functionality I'm not going to use anyway to make things work in a more predictable way.

What pushed me over the edge to do this was that I dropped an important folder of files on a folder, but at that exact moment the navigation pane must have jumped without my noticing, and I didn't actually figure out what had happened right away.  When I did find them missing, it took me quite a while to find them as the Explorer search initially failed to turn them up (they actually ended up in a subfolder under C:\WINDOWS somewhere).  Not a pleasant experience.

-Noel

That droping of files/folders in the wrong spot allways buged me so I allways had to wait till the left side did its jumping and then and only then was it ok to do whatever I was going to do with files/folders. I dont understand how this strange behavor got past the people who worked on explorer. You would have to be blind not to know this could cause problems just like you had with your folder move..
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Some searching brought me to this thread and a few others on Microsoft's support sites regarding this issue.  This behavior also drives me nuts.  In the last few weeks that I've used Win 7, this is the one thing that aggravates me to no end.  I've used XP since 2002 and I've really found not much else to complain about when it comes to Win 7...except this.

Please fix it.  Please.

How can anyone at Microsoft not understand, realize, and acknowledge how aggravating this is?
    Friday, December 18, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Keeping a backup of registry values is always a good idea.

Although I prefer something like Attributes.Back instead of Attributess.  It helps me by pointing out which ones I have changed.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:01 AM
  • HAS ANYONE seen this behavior

If u highlight a folder in the left pane, then scroll the folders, single or page, such that the highlighted folder scrolls past the top of the window, the folders jump back to show the highlighted one. If u drag the bar, as soon as u let go it jumps back

NOW the even stranger thing about this is that I just went back to that window and tried it again, it is back to "normal".

Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:50 AM
  • Why do I get the feeling who ever worked on explorer just kinda slaped it together and then glued and pasted it to the rest of windows 7 with out really looking at how explorer acts or does. Just seems rather silly sooooooo many things about explorers strange eye sore behavor was over looked. I wish who ever worked on explorer would have at lest used thier good eye sheesh lol
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Judging by the age of this article, I don't think anyone at Microsoft cares.  They probably all use Macs or something because the only way you could miss this problem is by not using Windows 7 at all.... ever.

Lets stop asking MS to fix this, because they wont, and instead focus on solutions.  Has anyone found an explorer replacement that works?  Most importantly is that other programs that use explorer need to use it too, such as SmartFTP.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:26 PM
  • "We shall be patient, Obi Wan"

-Noel

Monday, December 21, 2009 9:44 PM
  • I'll bet DOPUS and TOTAL COMMANDER are thanking M$ very much about now.

Yes, I gave up and replaced WE with Total Commander.

Ya still can't search libraries but it doesn't try and tells u it can't find the search path though it does show the libraries.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:18 AM
  • The behaviour makes no sense, if some of the MS guys really said that it's by intention. If they want folders to jump, they have to jump to the top and not the bottom, so we see the sub folders in the left pane. This behaviour makes me so angry, i think i should give Windows 7 at all review sites like am@zon 1 star and tell ppl that a productive work is not possible and bugs are not solved after one year. MS should tell us why they torture us with such a "jump" feature. Why is that fault intended? I think they really don't want us to user folders but only libraries. I never use libraries. I want to work with a working file explorer. I hate to have to scroll or slide all the time to get into a desired sub folder because of that insane jumping.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:04 AM
  • The behaviour makes no sense, if some of the MS guys really said that it's by intention. If they want folders to jump, they have to jump to the top and not the bottom, so we see the sub folders in the left pane. This behaviour makes me so angry, i think i should give Windows 7 at all review sites like am@zon 1 star and tell ppl that a productive work is not possible and bugs are not solved after one year. MS should tell us why they torture us with such a "jump" feature. Why is that fault intended? I think they really don't want us to user folders but only libraries. I never use libraries. I want to work with a working file explorer. I hate to have to scroll or slide all the time to get into a desired sub folder because of that insane jumping.

This Problem was reported Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:06 PM. BUT as of yet it isnt fixed because who ever worked on explorer doesnt see it as a problem that someone could move files to the wrong place or delete the wrong folder. As if that wasnt bad enough. Its just crazzy to have to make sure the folders on the left are going to jump where they are going to jump before doing anything else. Who ever did the code for explorer put to much focus on libraries and home goop and this is what explorer seems to be tryen to focus on each and every time I click and expand a folder so there for the down jumping action.

There is a way around it , and that is to remove libraries and home group as told how to do in the post above.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Maybe It was some one from this time period that worked on explorer... watch    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swzh0ngMNJo

Friday, January 01, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Heh heh heh, funny.  :)  Back in '84 when I was programming PDP-11s in assembly language we used to sing the line from that song (as in "might as well JMP") whenever we'd add code that would cause a label distance to exceed the 128 byte distance a Branch (e.g., BR) instruction could cover.

We've come a long way, baby.

-Noel
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:14 PM
  • I think that was about when I moved my Fortran programs from a CDC Cyber to the Cray 1.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:07 PM
  • I REALLY don't know why my parentcompany has a contract with M$ for OS upgrades... since 2002 that contract is a waste of money... and it seems they will continue to waste it, cause I have no clue how I could explain this behavior to my staff if I would rollout 7

the same with ruggb's arrow keys... don't understand the sense in navigating on the left, but don't see whats in the folder on the right, until you press enter

but maybe 100 licenses aren't worth talking about at M$?... rhetorical question... of course they are not worth it

Anyway thanks for the help with the registry Noel, it helps a little bit
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 3:56 PM
  • I sympathize with you Jack.

My recommendation would be to delay adopting Windows 7, and especially Server 2008 R2, as long as possible.  Concentrate on getting all machines upgraded to Vista SP2 and Server 2008 SP2.

It is not unusual for a large company to delay for years on these major updates.  One advantage of delaying is that by then many of the users have new computers at home that have the new version on them.  Another is that many of the bugs have been worked out and fixed with service packs and other updates.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 12:48 AM
  • I always thought this was a feature (or at least intended) because by putting the current folder at the bottom, it is better able to show the path of objects above the said folder.
    If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Friday, January 08, 2010 1:54 AM
  • When opening a root folder say from C that doesnt help because I already know. Infact any folders that branch off from the folder I just clicked are hidden and I must scroll up just to see whatever folders are at the bottem because of this jumping down c r a p. Infact said folder does not need to move at all. Movement of whatever folder means the chances of miss placing data in like a move or copy are great as one other person said they have done. Read post above. And its just alot of unneeded jumping around. I still dont get how this got released and out of beta stage because people have been complaining about this for over a year.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 4:54 AM
  • U can't be serious SHAWN - then again u must work for MS with that kind of logic.
    Chance of getting that as a resolution only if u get other MS devotees to sign up for it.

I have abandoned WE. It is unfortunate that MS can't connect dots either. Most of W7 is good, but they just had to ____ it up with WE and XP networking. Maybe that is job security at MS - producing service packs.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Its so funny on the one hand we are told that free space was swooped up and taken away in the bottem left of explorer cause some peoples get all wierded out if they know how much free space thay have. What drugs are "they" on??? lol. But at the same time we are give this fun and game time with jumpy ants in your pants folders. Having to wait and wonder is it ok to move my file now.. Is it going to jump agin etc etc.

I find it amazing that after looking around these microsoft fourms that people are having to hack the registry in some fourm or fashin to get windows 7 to act correctly and or find programs out there be they before or after windows 7 just so it would again, work correctly. And what is this song and dance about "It was my idea" . I dont belive MS listend to anyone except the voice of money.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 6:23 AM
  • I always thought this was a feature (or at least intended) because by putting the current folder at the bottom, it is better able to show the path of objects above the said folder.
    Shawn, that makes no sense. It's like when you open your clothes cupboard to take out some fresh socks and you go 5 steps back to better see all the other boards and shelves in your room while trying to take out the socks. Do you behave that way? No. If I open a folder, I want to see what's inside (sub folders) and not what's outside.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 8:57 AM
  • lol, which "ideas"? stupid commercial... there is this one for the snap function (got the power... okay that was a poor one)
    I need about 10 windows/applications open, what good is it for me if I can attach one left and one right? It's not worth a commercial, it's a nice and sometimes pratical gimmick, but nothing more - at least not for me, but maybe there is a way to attach more than 2 windows to the edge/side/frame of the desktop and I only don't know how to manage this... could be because I didn't have started the "Windows 7 learn more tour", where I thought: working 15 years with M$, don't need tour...

But that's not the point, the point is we all have an idea, about how f___ed up this jumping is, and M$ doesn't care about THIS... won't be long and I will dream of WE instead from falling from a skyscraper

should spare my nerves and turn on TV... two and a half men should be running right now... never seen a computer in it

@Loyal - totally agree, hmm, could be Microsoft developers are working from Hawaii... you don't need socks there I think
    Friday, January 08, 2010 9:24 AM
  • I'm having a heart attack.
    I just opened WE this AM and it APPEARS to be working as we all would expect.

Somebody please verify this - before I die!!!!!!!!!!

EVERY TIME I click on a folder it moves the left pane so that the max amount of folders in said folder appear below it.
    If there are a few it moves it up that many. If there are a lot it moves it to the top.

Did they sneak a fix into the updates?????????????????????????

PLEASE verify if it now works for U.
    I didn't put any "FIX" into it or do anything since yesturday.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The search function in libraries no longer APPEARS to be searching - however it isn't grayed out either.
    If u enter a search it just sits there looking dumb, BUT it doesn't make believe it is searching, then return no result as it did before.

I guess I will have to test all the rest of the issues I found to see how many they actually did something about....

OMG.........OMG............ I can't even believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TELL ME IT AIN'T SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, January 08, 2010 3:59 PM
  • you're serious? all available updates are installed and I still have this behavior, so there must be a difference to the date of update release between countries if you are right... I hope you are right
    Friday, January 08, 2010 8:13 PM
  • No updates here.

When I expand a folder in the Navigation pane it moves the parent folder up to the top of the navigation pane, but as far as I know it's been doing this all along.

-Noel
    Friday, January 08, 2010 9:26 PM
  • I'm having a heart attack.
    I just opened WE this AM and it APPEARS to be working as we all would expect.

Somebody please verify this - before I die!!!!!!!!!!

. . .

OMG.........OMG............ I can't even believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TELL ME IT AIN'T SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you wake up yet, ruggb?  I just know that has to be a dream you had.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 10:20 PM
  • It's very normal that MS can't fix this annoying problem for a year.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 12:59 AM
  • well, it is still doing it and it did not do that for me before.

If I navigate using the arrow keys it moves the folders to the bottom of the screen as it did before when I clicked on it.

Maybe this is all just a good dream.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:08 AM
  • LOL no there isnt an update yet for this cute lil bug. Not on the normal updates or hotfixes that I have seen. I have 140 updates. Started geting them even before they cut window$ lose for oct 22 and not one out of the 140 address this lol
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:27 PM
  • I'M SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This issue is SSSOOOO strange.  Under A FEW circumstances it works like u would expect, SOMETIMES.

MOST of the time it  s u c k s .

I was just CONFUSED AGAIN!!!!!

OOOHHHH WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going back to sleep.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:44 PM
  • I am experiencing this exact same bug. It is driving me nuts. I thought for certain that it was just some setting that I had overlooked, such as...

[X] Annoyingly scroll the Navigation Pane down to the bottom so that you have to scroll up again to see what's in the folder you just selected

...but it appears this is truly just a plain old bug.

I wish Microsoft would FIX IT. It is driving me insane. How did this get past beta?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:51 AM
  • M$ ANSWER = "design intent" ...............
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Can you please provide a specific sequence of events to reproduce the "folder at the bottom" glitch?

I'm having trouble making that particular issue happen.  For me, when I expand a folder the parent always seems to be jumping to the top of the window, or just far enough up to see all the subfolders if they'll fit.

I thought perhaps it was just an intermittent problem that I was not seeing, but I'm now wondering whether there's some shell extension others are using that I am not, or perhaps some other configuration item I have set one way which is different from those of you seeing this particular problem.

For reference, I normally run short, wide Explorer windows with Details view selected by default.  To wit:

-Noel
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Now, one thing I DO see is that if you try to expand a folder very near the bottom of the navigation pane by double-clicking, it may jump up, out of the way of your mouse after your first click. 

I think I understand why this is:  When you drag a file near the bottom (or top) of the navigation pane, the folders list will automatically scroll, as the system interprets that you're trying to drop that file in a folder that's off screen, and since you're holding the mouse button down you can't very well scroll it yourself.

Now, if you move the mouse a tiny bit during that first click (when you're trying to double-click a folder), the system may think you're starting a drag operation.  Almost no one can hold their mouse perfectly still during a double-click.

This inadvertent recognition of a drag operation has been responsible for lost folders (i.e., folders inadvertently moved to other folders) for a long time, dating all the way back to Windows 95.

The thing is, there's a setting somewhere that defines how far you have to move something before it's considered a drag operation.   This setting used to be adjustable by the TweakUI PowerToy (and I always used to increase it to avert this problem), but of course TweakUI is long gone...   Let me see if I can find the registry setting that setting affected... 

Ah, here we go:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "DragHeight"="4"
    "DragWidth"="4"

The values shown above are defaults.  I'm going to try changing them to, say, 6 or 8 to see whether that reduces the tendency for Explorer folders to jump on double click.

-Noel

Monday, January 25, 2010 12:59 PM
  • NOPE, the above tweak DOESN'T fix the problem.

Microsoft has clearly changed the behavior of "auto-scroll" so that now just clicking once on a folder that's near the bottom of the Navigation pane will cause it to move up, as though they're trying to make it more visible somehow. I'm guessing there's a >= (greater than or equal to) comparison operation in the code somewhere where there should be > (strictly greater than).

The workaround to this is to avoid double clicking, but rather to expand folders by single clicking on the little arrows to the left of the folder icons.

The proper fix is, of course, for the Explorer designers not to automatically move anything while the user is interacting with the Navigation pane, except for the ONE special exception during a drag operation, and even then delay the start for, say, half a second (programmable through the registry please).

-Noel
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:08 PM
  • What you can't reproduce this glitch??

Should be no problem, doesn't matter your resolution (I used 1920x1200 Explorer in fullscreen here):

open WE ;-)
    open your windows HD - mostly C: - by clicking on the litte arrow to the left of your C: partition (or whatever your windows partition is)
    open your windows folder - by clicking on the littel arrow to the left of the windows folder
    now you sould have the scrollpanel on the right of the navigation screen, you have to use it to scroll down until you have the "temp" folder in the middle of your screen!
    if you then first click on temp folder and after that on the little arrow left to the temp folder

it will jump to the bottom, yeah pokémon

it only happens if the listed folders are long enough, but hey, who is working with full screen WE, so with your short, but wide WE it should be no problem to see this glitch
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:27 PM
  • I did EXACTLY as you described with both Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 7 x64, with both maximized and short windows, Aero on and off and in no case did the Temp folder jump to the bottom.  It stayed put or moved up to show the subfolders.  Honest

Pikachu must have zapped my system into working order.  :)

Now comes the task of trying to figure out what I've done that you haven't, or what you've done that I haven't.

I have, for example, removed Favorites and Homegroup from displaying in my Explorer window. 

I also use a tweakware program called ShellFolderFixUI to reposition Explorer windows after they are started.

Lastly, there's one thing I have done that may well help you:  Open your Explorer window.  Wait a few moments for things to settle down, then for all the top level things other than your Computer entry, close them up (use the little arrow to the left to make sure they're just a one-line entry).  Now close the Explorer window.  I've found Explorer tends to refresh the window (and thus move things around) if you leave the other things (like Network) open, because it fills them in after a while. Leaving them closed averts this behavior.

-Noel
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Oh I forgot, it only happens once for each folder, if you want to see this marvellous fu..ing behavior again, you have to close and open WE again

Anyway, if it would jump up instead of down, it would be a little better, but still it won't be right, cause I want to work where my mouse is, and not where Microsft wants me where my mouse should be... or something like that, err you know what I mean, like WE of XP, that was a good application to explore folders. Explore? Explorer? HA, WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA TO NAME AN APPLICATION!!! See? Explorer? Explore? Maybe they should name it Windows Jumper now... Got it? Jump to the Bottom? Jumper? Ouhh nonono, Samuel L. Jackson won't tolerate this...

Ups, sorry, my mind goes gonzo if I think about this glitch
    Where are my pills... hmm, why is there a M$ on my green and red and yellow pills? Ahhh, ok, it is M&M... thought of conspiracy for a second
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Calm down, there is hope.

I have described several things for you to try.  Note especially the item above in large type.

Clearly it is possible for it to work right.  Let's work through this.

-Noel
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:46 PM
  • ok Noel, sorry, back to normal...

To check out if this glitch happens only to me (before I looked here) I installed a Win7 32Bit on another machine - instead of my 64Bit and the behavior was the same from the beginning. So I'm sure this is no imagination.

Your walkthrough to get rid of Favorites and Homegroup was very helpfull, thanks again, but that didn't solve the problem

I tried your last written passage, problem still there

could be ShellFolderFixUI, I will try that, found ShellFolderFix v1.1.0, hope that is right, don't know how to work with it yet, but it's only a matter of time
    I see in your screenshot you got the actual path in the top of you WE, how did you get it there? Thought it will only work in classic view...
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:07 PM
  • ShellFolderFixUI does that.

So at this point you only see Computer and Network at the top level then?

I really want to discover whatever it is that I've got right here, because providing a workaround could increase productivity enough to change the world economy.  :)

-Noel
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:10 PM
  • got it, GOT IT, unbelievable, but why now? I tested this several times... because of someone mentioned it here

I wondered why you asked me: Only Computer and Network... because my WE started with Desktop and under it the rest like Network, Computer, System...

so theres this option to change the navigation window style with "Show all folders" (which is horrible if you still have favorites and library), I am sure that I have tested it a thousand times, but now it is working, but why? Could be I haven't made the registry entries at this time...

So if you check it, you will have the glitch... if you wan't to try
    If you uncheck it, the jumping to the bottom is gone
    • Proposed as answer by Zouzou123gen Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:53 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Right, I do NOT have [ ] Show all folders checked.  Checking that likely causes Explorer to update something after you've already started navigating, hence the jump.

So, in summary:

To work around much of the "jumping folders" issue:

1. In Explorer Tools - Options, uncheck [ ] Show all folders and check [] Automatically expand to current folder.

2. Close all top level headings in the Navigation pane (e.g., Favorites, Libraries, Network) except Computer by clicking the little arrows to the left, and then exit Explorer to save this state.

3. Consider removing Favorites and Libraries from Explorer if you do not need them and will never want them in Explorer.  Instructions here.

Did I miss anything?

-Noel
    • Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Monday, January 25, 2010 4:07 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:06 PM
  • ok this explains why this testing with Show all folders had not helped me before, cause I didn't made the registry changes at that time, so:

1. is ok
    2. is not necessary, I think
    3: not consider, you have to do it, with Favorites and Libraries the glitch is still there

Tested on my homepc where I havn't done anything to get rid of the problem, until now.

First of all I unchecked Show all folders - but it still jumped to the bottom
    then I changed the registry - now the jumping is gone

instead of this jumping I have a grafical glitch now... if I navigate back to the top to Computer: When I move with the mouse over the folders, I see them something like two times, or maybe 1 an 1/4 times... anyway, its a problem I can live with more than with the jumping

you don't have that Noel? I have it on Win7 Pro 64bit at work (very high DELL Workstation) and on Win7 Starter 32bit at home (Netbook)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:24 PM
  • I do occasionally see screen update glitches as well.  I think it's because removing the Favorites and Libraries roots is not something Microsoft supports and the code isn't written well to handle their being missing.  Explorer as we're seeing it is a bit of a mess, and secretly I suspect a big project is underway to revamp it.  If not, there should be!

-Noel

Monday, January 25, 2010 6:48 PM
  • ok, as I said that screen glitches thing is something I can live with.

Noel, thank you very much, without your comment about Computer and Network at the top, and surely not without your registry changes, I think the jumping would have driven me insane some day.
    k, maybe I am already...anyway, problem solved :-) back to Dragon Age
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Noel and Jack,

Thanks SO MUCH for this.  it worked like a charm.  FWIW, I went thru this procedure on a Retail Home Premium 64-bit version.  The only diffs were when doing the reg-edits, I found I needed to reboot in order to see the changes ... i.e.: they were not immediate, as Noel stated on his message about removing Libraries and Favorites.

Slowly, with the additions of this, the animated Network Indicator, ShellFolderFix, and ClassicShell v0.98, Windows 7 is beginning to be somewhat usable for me.  I am still awaiting some kind of fix for the missing detachable multiple taskbars (don't really care for the RocketDock thing that's been suggested), and a few other annoyances, but hopefully someone will come up with another add-on to replace THAT functionality, as well.

<BEGIN RANT>
    I can't believe I've got to jump through these kind of hoops to make W7 seem almost as powerful as WinXP ... and it's still nowhere near as fast as that old standby, but at least it's beginning to be better than my wife's Mac OSX (another OS that I simply do not understand what folks rave about).

But I'm beginning to toy with the idea of going triple-boot with Ubuntu or one of the Linux alternatives, because if M$ is trying to dumb down their OS to be more Mac-Like, I think one of those other alternatives is going to steal the corporate show in the future.  I need to do more than play games, listen to music, and watch movies on my computer.  I have other tech gadgets that do those things just fine.
    </END RANT>

Again, THANKS, guys, for figuring this out.  Noel ... YOU should be a paid mod here, YOU know what you're doing ;-)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:11 AM
  • yes I can confirm the reboot with the Win7 Starter, I was so excited, forgot to write that.
    Still you don't have to do a reboot on a Win7 Pro, the registry changes will make a difference to WinEx directly there.

Tried if it was Favorites or Libraries,
    you should always delte both, because like Noel said, its just trash! But for the sake of completeness:

The Favorites causes the jumping, so if you need to have Libraries (as if...) you can keep them

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Oh joy!
    Noel, thank you VERY much for the work-around! It works (for me at least)!!! I only had to "unexpand" the Network folder and restart WE in order to stop the jump-to-bottom feature. I can still have Favourites and Library expanded. And it works after reboot. I run W7 Home Premium 64-bit (Swedish language version). I don't use any shell extensions and hasn't done any reg-hacks.

Why, why, WHY haven't any of the M$ goons come up with this answer????
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:48 PM
  • It's not a bug it's how windows explorer actually works in Win7.

In Windows Explorer follow these steps to turn off the odd behaviour!

Goto Tools... Folder Options...General Tab...Navigation Pane
    uncheck Automatically expand to current folder
    click Apply... Click OK ... Exit Windows Explorer.

Now try again and it should work just like Windows Explorer in XP/Vista!

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit) Build 7000 [Beta 1] Hardware: HDD: Hitachi 320GB SATA, RAM 2GB DDR2 800, GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3450 512MB GDDR2, ODD: ASUS DVD±RW DL LS.

Well I've tried this suggestion and so far so good. Since I'm not 100% clear on the triggers for the strange behaviour I'm going to test it for a while before I propose this as an answer. I do see a lot of commentary further down in this thread which suggests people have had a more complex experience with this issue, but I'm hopeful it is as simple as disabling this feature as indicated here. So far so good.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:22 AM
  • this fix does not solve the issue. It disables another feature that I don't want disabled. Stating that "it is not a bug" means it has to be an MS associate. MS people have answered this a number of times with that excuse -- design intent -- That is why so many people switch to MAC.

The ONE thing I have found that sort of works is disabling the FAVORITES folder with the reg tweak. I can sure do without favorites - others may want to disable something different. Anything appears to work.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:56 AM
  • I'll try that too if this fails. I dont buy into the Mac argument made here. People will by macs for all sorts of reasons, but not a single feature annoyance such as this - I know there are feature issues on macs that annoy mac users too.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:00 AM
  • I dont buy into the Mac argument made here. People will by macs for all sorts of reasons, but not a single feature annoyance such as this - I know there are feature issues on macs that annoy mac users too.
    Touchee, Trees,  I have a huge problem in that with MacOS, the only way to size a "window" is by using the handle at the bottom right corner ... and if that bottom-right corner falls within the docked icons ... well, you're screwed.  It's very awkward to get out of that dilemma.

Still, I worry, since Win7 only remembers ONE window's settings in this offering ... are THEY going in that same direction?!  Personally, I've installed a 3rd-Party Add-on that gets rid of this weakness.  I feel I shouldn't have had to install an add on, but I don't see MSFT ever fixing the weakness themselves. {sigh}

As an aside, I've also been adding some other 3rd-Party stuff to W7, and am finding it better and better.  Hopefully, with a Service Pack or two, I (we) can remove these crutches, and we'll ALL be happy campers again.
    Window 7 Home Premium Retail - 64-bit version --- Dual Booting With --- Windows XP Professional - 32-bit version =========================================================== PC: Custom-built, SuperMicro MB - Dual Nocona Processors - 800 MHz FSB - 6GB DDR2 RAM - Approximately 5TB of internal storage on six assorted (Seagate and WD) drives using 3ware RAID Solution - ATI FireGL 7100 Video Card
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:10 AM
  • I think this (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/5b524d53-df97-405d-835f-f081d106a19b) issue covers your positional persistance concern. A dev has responded too. Your comments may be worth adding there for consideration.
    • Edited by Mick N Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:15 AM typo
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Noel:

Checking or un-checking "Show all folders" makes absolutely no difference to this bug. The navigation pane scrolls down.

Closing top level headings in the navigation pane makes absolutely no difference to this bug. The navigation pane scrolls down.

I appreciate your time spent trying to find a workaround. It looks to me like Microsoft will just have to fix this bug. Some day. Eventually. I hope.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Hey bblackmoor

of course it won't work if you only uncheck "Show all folders"

You have to uncheck "'Show all folders"
    AND
    remove Libraries & Favorites (via registry entry as described from NOEL)

I have tried it on two different machines and it removes the jumping.

could be that you need to reboot but than the jumping is gone, or you are talking about some different bug here?

Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Yes, and I only did the FAVORITES one, so it looks like any one of them removed will work.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Looks like anything (e.g., Network) that adds entries after Explorer is opened can cause it, along with (possibly) other unknown factors.

We are all very much hoping Microsoft will work this out in an upcoming update.

Until then we can try to minimize the shifting through workarounds, and try to avoid opening the wrong subfolders and losing important files by dropping them in the wrong place because the folders in the pane shifted at just the wrong time.

-Noel
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Personally, I've installed a 3rd-Party Add-on that gets rid of this weakness. 
    how?
    Friday, February 05, 2010 7:27 PM
  • I noticed this same strange functionality in Win 7. It seems very random, but once it starts it continues to reposition the folder to the bottom of the left pane. It is very annoying and most certainly needs to be classified as a BUG.

None of the suggested "fixes" makes any difference.

It is almost as annoying as the problem selecting files in Explorer which deselects all your selected files when you resort the files by some other property.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:48 AM
  • You have to uncheck "'Show all folders"
    AND
    remove Libraries & Favorites (via registry entry as described from NOEL)

Since what I am using is "Libraries" (specifically "Libraries >> Documents"), what you say it true: removing "Libraries" would prevent the jumping, much like unplugging your computer would prevent it from being infected with a virus -- technically true, but useless.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Yes, and I only did the FAVORITES one, so it looks like any one of them removed will work.

I will try removing Favorites and see if that does anything. I don't see how it has anything to do with the jumping -- it makes as much sense as saying "use your left hand on the mouse instead of your right hand" -- but I am willing to try anything.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Wow. I entered the registry entry for removing the favorites menu, and rebooted. Favorites is gone, but now I have two "Computer" sections in the Navigation pane. When I click on a directory in the navigation pane, a new Explorer window opens up. I double-checked, and my Folder Options setting still says "open each folder in the same window".

So, ah... thanks, but that's not a fix.

ATTENTION MICROSOFT! PLEASE FIX THIS NAVIGATION PANE SCROLLING BUG!

P.S. I entered the registry edit to restore Favorites... favorites came back, but I still have two Computer sections, and clicking a directory still opens a new Explorer window. Lovely. Just lovely.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Tried the suggestions, nothing gets rid of this painful behaviour.

Microsoft, please tell us this is on your radar for a fix.

Monday, February 08, 2010 8:14 AM
  • You can add me to the list of frustrated users.  For those who say "works for me" you are obviously not duplicating this properly

1) Open a new Windows Explorer window (close all others first)
    2) Expand My Computer, then C drive in the left pane
    3) Select the Program Files (x86) folder on the left pane (make sure you do this step)
    4) After you have selected the folder, attempt to expand it...

Notice how it scrolled your selected folder to the bottom?  You now can't see any of its contents without re-scrolling the window.

As far as I'm concerned, Windows should not try to scroll the left pane at all.  Leave it EXACTLY as it is.  Trying to do it for me, is NOT what I want you to do.  If you must scroll, then put my selected folder at the top so I can see its contents.  However let me re-iterate... I would rather you not do any type of scrolling AT ALL!  A quick search on this, reveals dozens of posts on MS websites about this issue.

I would be glad to put together a video showing this in action.  I'll also show how changing the Show in Folders, and Auto-Expand folder options do not do anything to this behavior in the same video.  This is a bug is must be addressed.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:02 PM
  • PuckPuck.com, please do not accuse others of being dense and take heart:  I did EXACTLY as you said; it works for me here.  Program Files (x86) moved up to the top of the Navigation pane, as you would expect.

Try again after you do these things

1.  Remove the Favorites and Libraries as described above.

2.  Open an Explorer window.

3.  Choose File -> Folder Options, uncheck [ ] Show all folders, and check [] Automatically expand to current folder.

4.  In the Navigation pane, collapse Network and any other major headings visible

5.  Close Explorer so that it remembers the things you collapsed.

-Noel

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hi all!

I'm using Win 7 Pro 64-BIT and I'm facing this problem also!
    I figured out that it only happens when I use a Windows Aero Theme. When I choose a Basic Theme this BUG isn't there!
    I prefer using the Aero Theme, because some features are really helpful, but this Windows 7 bug is very annoying!

This thread is started ONE YEAR ago and seems not to have a useful solution! I tried all of the above, without result...

Anyone? Microsoft?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:52 PM
  • I really can't believe that some of you tried the solution Noel Carboni worked out and still have problems.
    With removing Libraries and/or Favorites and then chosing NOT to "show all folders" the behavior is gone.

To identify the necessary steps we needed several days, but it works for sure.

Sure, what we want is a patch from M$ or simply the old Explorer back, so our solution here it is not the soultion everyone wants but it is (at least if you don't need Favorites and Libraries) a way to get rid of the jumping.

I used this procedure successful on three workstations now, Win7pro 64Bit, Win7pro 32Bit and Win7Starter. That can't be coincidence. hmmm, but who knows, maybe some other adjustment has an affect on this solution... my three workstations where freshly installed and maybe some of you have other adjustments which I don't have
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:30 PM
  • I really can't believe that some of you tried the solution Noel Carboni worked out and still have problems.
    With removing Libraries and/or Favorites and then chosing NOT to "show all folders" the behavior is gone.
    You could be right, but the Libraries are a useful feature...
    A fix should be better (as you wrote). I hope this will come SOON!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:33 PM
  • The key word is "OR", you do not have to remove both.
    I removed Favorites as I never use that.

I don't say that to negate the fact that a fix from M$ is needed.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:38 PM

To identify the necessary steps we needed several days, but it works for sure.

Believe it, the proposed solution is in effect right now Computer and Network the only root nodes in explorer and show all folders confirmed again as disabled.

I have seen on multiple occassion - for no apparent reason to me or pattern - my folder list jump around in different ways. Sometimes my selection of the active folder even gets restored to a slightly prior position.

For my money, there is an asynchronous behaviour at work here that isn't working properly. I've seen on a few occassions the shell playing catchup to shell interactions while the shell continues to operate in the foreground. This is clearly a new approach and it is not a big stretch of the imagination to consider it to be related to these problems.

I also note with Noels registry changes that the removed features are not completely removed from all explorer views. Only the directly accessible one. Go to Windows Live Mail, hit Save As. You will see what I'm talking about.

I commend the efforts of everyone here trying to find workarounds, and acknowledge that it may be working in some peoples circumstances.

But it is by no means a universal work around or by any stretch of the imagination a solution.
    • Edited by Mick N Friday, February 12, 2010 1:22 AM typo
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:22 AM
  • I haven't had time to test this, but it looks like one instance the folder pane jumps around is changes in computers available within the network.

My laptop was connected to the network for a brief while and I noticed an open explorer window positioned deep in the storage system automatically scrolled to the end and showed the network root node and my laptops precense. The currently selected folder did not change and I scrolled back to see it.

I dont think this is desirable behaviour really.

I had show all folders off and automatically expand to currently selected on.

Monday, February 15, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Yes, it's true that things jump when the list of network computers are updated.

The workaround for this, which isn't really permanent if you access network computers, is to collapse the list of network computers, then close Explorer so it remembers you collapsed it for next time.

-Noel
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:54 PM
  • I have finally found what could somewhat be considered a "solution" to this annoying bug.  There is a free and open source project at Sourceforge called Classic Shell.  It allows you to get back the classic start menu as used in XP and it also allows you to enable some old XP like behavior in Windows Explorer.  However, the exciting thing is that the author has figured out how to stop the jumping behavior.  It flat out works, no registry tweaking necessary and I've seen no other odd behavior.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

So what if you want to fix the jumping behavior but not lose the Windows 7 start menu?  Install the Classic Shell, open MSConfig and then uncheck the entry in the Startup tab so that the Classic Start Menu doesn't load at boot.  Log off, log back on, and you are in business.  The fix for the jumping behavior in Windows Explorer works even if you don't use the classic start menu.

The changes to incorporate this fix were added between version 1.0.0 and the previous version.  Since the project is open source, anyone who is proficient with code should be able to find out what the author did to fix this (I'm not one of those people).
    • Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Monday, February 15, 2010 7:28 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Very interesting.  Sure enough, in the 1.0.0 section of their history document:

- Fix for the scroll problems in the Explorer navigation pane (Windows 7 only)
    I took a look at the code.  This is the comment on the change that works around the bug.  It implies that Explorer is trying to ensure things that it expands for the first time are visible, which nicely supports the observation that expansion of things like Favorites, Libraries, and Network are causing the problem.

// HACK! there is a bug in Win7 Explorer and when the selected folder is expanded for the first time it sends TVM_ENSUREVISIBLE for
      // the root tree item. This causes the navigation pane to scroll up. To work around the bug we ignore TVM_ENSUREVISIBLE if it tries
      // to show the root item and it is not selected
    I would say looking over the code that the programmer, Ivo Beltchev, is a pretty bright guy.  Bravo, Ivo!

Can any of you mods who know how to pass things to Microsoft development engineering please make sure they see this?

-Noel

Monday, February 15, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Hey, Noel. I tried to respond to your questions on Source Forge, but my messages bounced back. Looks like your SF mail box is invalid or broken. Can you suggest a different way of communication?

Ivo
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:47 PM
  • I would say looking over the code that the programmer, Ivo Beltchev, is a pretty bright guy.  Bravo, Ivo!

Can any of you mods who know how to pass things to Microsoft development engineering please make sure they see this?

-Noel
    I agree, I'm now 100% happy with Windows 7.  This was the last little thing that was making me want to pull out my hair.  Thanks to Ivo I now have my classic start menu back and the jumping is gone.  I hope we can get Microsoft to recognize this problem and fix it.  Not that I know a thing about programming, but it doesn't seem like it is a tough fix to implement.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Hi Ivo,

I'll check out the issue with my eMail on SourceForge.  I recently had to change eMail addresses.

-Noel

Monday, February 15, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Yes, it's true that things jump when the list of network computers are updated.

The workaround for this, which isn't really permanent if you access network computers, is to collapse the list of network computers, then close Explorer so it remembers you collapsed it for next time.

-Noel

I'll give this a shot and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Also trialing Stangbat's suggestion. Looking forward to a peek at this source too.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:49 AM
  • OK, I've read much of this post and I think this might also be related to the problem I'm having on my Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit laptop - I'm not seing it yet on my other 3 laptops (1 32-bit and the other 2 64-bit).  To make it worse the problem PC is my wife's so I hear about it daily, sometimes multiple times a day.

When she launches WE and single clicks a folder to expand it all is well.  But when she tries to scroll down to a folder that is below the screen view the folder list scrolls back towards the top - she basically can't select any folder.  We were having the same problem when she clicked the start button and tried to select a program or folder to expand to selct an application - it would scroll back to the top.  We're also seeing this problem in other applications like while using facebook and trying to post pictures - she can't select the pics she wants.  I noticed Noel recommended loading Ivo's classicshell, not too sure if that was the name, but I downloadeded it from Sourceforge.com and installed.  The start menu is better but I'm still having problems witht WE and actually when I went to shutdown the laptop and I tried to do a shutdown it had the same problem when I tried to select shutdown from the classis start tmenu - I clicked the drop down and selected shutdown but it auto scrolled and only gave me the option to switch users - the top choice of that menu.

If this problem I'm describing isn't related to this thread, sorry for taking up your time.  However if this is somewhat related would it be worth my time to try Noel's edits to the registry file - of course backing up the file first.  Thank you everyone for an help.  I'm almost ready to re-install Vista.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Reggie, what you're seeing sounds more like a mouse issue or something wrong with the touchpad, where it's trying to scroll to the top of whatever window or list is current.  I doubt very much whether that problem has anything to do with the Explorer problem we're working through in this thread.  You might check in the Mouse control panel applet and see if maybe something's set there that you don't want.

By the way (this is for everyone in this thread), I did finally evaluate Ivo Beltchev's ClassicShell, and I am sorry to report that it doesn't completely work around the issue where Explorer will jump when one or more of the top-level roots is open (e.g., Network).  However, it does help and it does actually settle Explorer down if you start with the Network root closed up.

From all appearances, Microsoft needs to re-evaluate their handling of the SysTreeView32 control...  Explorer seems to be overly aggressive in making new things visible.  In fact, the only activity to move that window around should be as a result of user input.  Where new things are being added to the tree extra effort should be made to keep the last thing the user clicked on in exactly the location it was before, with the new things added around that.

-Noel
    Monday, February 22, 2010 1:35 AM
  • In fact, the only activity to move that window around should be as a result of user input.  Where new things are being added to the tree extra effort should be made to keep the last thing the user clicked on in exactly the location it was before, with the new things added around that.

-Noel
    /qft
    Monday, February 22, 2010 1:44 AM
  • I know nobody here is able to predict the future, but do you think we have any hope of this eventually being fixed?  The main problem has now been identified and a few solutions have been demonstrated and proposed.  Does this information ever make it to the right people at Microsoft?  Or is it more important to make Windows look pretty?  Will we have to wallow in our misery for years to come unless we find a replacement file manager?  Sorry about the cynical post, but it has been over a year since this thread was started and it seems like nobody at MS really cares.

Oh well, I guess there are worse problems in this world.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Microsoft has acknowledged this issue (very generally) via direct eMail feedback.  They did not, as expected, promise anything but did make a vague reference to the next version of Windows.

Microsoft is a GIANT company, which by definition CANNOT care.  Even if every single employee involved with engineering Windows cared deeply (and I suspect they do), you and I would not be able to tell.  There are lawyers and policies and processes to be followed.  Even if a MAJOR bug could be fixed with the change of ONE line of code, you and I would not see it until after unit testing, review, regression testing, system testing, release process...

Note, for example, that the RTM code was released in 10/2009, but the build date on the majority of the software was 7/2009.

Microsoft would be remiss in their responsibility, and possibly even liable for damages, if they released a "quick fix" to something which broke something else major.  The amazing part is that even though they are so huge, they actually CAN get things released.

This is a lifetime of experience working for big, uncaring companies talking.

Explorer is quite clearly unfinished in this release.  I'm personally expecting good things from service pack 1.

-Noel
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Thanks Noel, point(s) taken.   I fully understand that any change to the code in Windows has to be very thoroughly tested before release, and that fixes often take a long time to materialize.  I guess I was just getting cranky and wishing someone would at least throw us a bone.  I really have very few gripes about Windows 7 itself and I'm glad that you report that there has been at least some acknowledgment of this issue.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Noel's right about how big wheels churn. I think it's still reasonable to expect and request improvement in communication on issues of this nature.

We're so accustomed to lack of communication from large companies on issues that we come to expect that instead.

For this reason I was literally blown away to discover how effectively the Connect communication platform is working for Visual Studio now.

https://connect.microsoft.com/directory/ to see this growing to other platforms. Would be nice to see Windows 7 on the list. I see Server 2008 has made the cut.

Monday, February 22, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Good God, I have been too busy to do anything about this until today.  I'm still too busy, but this had become a real showstopper for me.  The anger and frustration over this issue has just been festering for months now and I just had to stop everything else and deal with this....only to find out that once again someone else knows what to do but MS is somehow unable to act upon the information.  Is it someone's pride getting in the way here?  Some engineer is so caught up in how "fantastic" this "feature" is that they're convinced that everyone else is just wrong and this is the way explorer should work?  It seems fairly obvious at this point that this was intentional.  I think whoever is responsible should be subjected to a humiliating paintball firing squad witnessed by all his peers!
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:26 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:50 PM
  • I too have been waiting for M$ to come up with a fix for the jumping explorer pane issue, its driving me nuts. I reboot and use WinXP when I have a lot of folder operations and filing to do and that's just plain nuts to have to do that... can't we just have an option for 'Maintain Explorer Folder Position' when clicking.. at least give people the option. That way if there is someone stupid enough out there that likes repositioning their eye to the bottom of the page every time they click a folder it will keep them happy...
    Monday, March 01, 2010 12:41 AM
  • I have recently been working on an XP x64 machine, after not using it for months.

What a treat.

In the folder pane, I can double click a folder at the bottom, and have it expand and jump to the top!

In Windows 7 or Vista if you try that it expands the folder below the one you double clicked on.  Furthermore, it leaves it at the bottom anyway.  What a PITA.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Brian, try what I detailed above on 2/15.  It isn't an outright fix, but if you have to use Windows Explorer on Windows 7, it is probably 95% effective.  We'll have to cross our fingers and wait/hope MS fixes this outright in SP1, but in the mean time I've found the Classic Shell fix to be a sanity saver.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Brian, try what I detailed above on 2/15.  It isn't an outright fix, but if you have to use Windows Explorer on Windows 7, it is probably 95% effective.  We'll have to cross our fingers and wait/hope MS fixes this outright in SP1, but in the mean time I've found the Classic Shell fix to be a sanity saver.

Yes, I do use the Classic Shell, and I love it.  But it is still not quite the same.  Folders in the folder pane still go down instead of up, but double click works correctly otherwise, and expands the folder clicked on.  Or else that is just "expand by default" at work.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 11:23 PM
  • In Windows 7 or Vista if you try that it expands the folder below the one you double clicked on.
    That's an overgeneralization.

Here, with ClassicShell's Explorer piece installed, and with the Network heading closed up (and with Favorites and Libraries removed), my expanded folders jump to the top.

I never had the problem with Vista.  It always worked as you describe:  Newly opened folders jump to the top.

-Noel
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:15 AM
  • Here, with ClassicShell's Explorer piece installed, and with the Network heading closed up (and with Favorites and Libraries removed), my expanded folders jump to the top.

I don't have the Favorites and Libraries removed, just closed.  I also have Homegroup and Network closed.  When I have done this, I see what you are seeing:  expanded folders jump to the top if they are long enough to scroll the window.  If they are small and don't scroll the window, they stay put.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Well, I have been having all these same exact problems all this time and of course it's been very anoying and I've even been told when I first brought this up months ago, that this was how it's spose to be!, what!? Ahhh hahaha NOT
    Anyway, I started my own thread on this same subject but someone pointed me to this one, so I'll kjeep it all in the same place as well :)

Anyway, I, like most others here, all have already been there done that with changing the settings for expand folders and any other combination of these types of things, so it's a bug no doubt.
    I made my own vid to, here it is if anyone cares, but we all know what it looks like by now anyway LOL
    http://www.md-arts.com/mark/WindowsExplorerArrowFileClickingWeirdness_01.mov

But! yesterday I accidentally found ONE method that works every single time all the time and never works wrong, but it has a vaiot to it, you have to drag the browser over to the sie Left or Right doesn't matter and try it out.
    All the folders, subfolders everything will all work just like you expect them to, not this completely silly nonsense that for some odd reason MS seems to be ignoring.

..............md
    780w Power supply Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Windows 7 (64bit) Build 7100 BIOS Build: 1011.006 Intel QuadCore 2: Q6600 2.40ghz G-Skill 8GB (4 x 2GB) 1100 EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB KO ACS3 Display Driver: ForceWare 185.50 Maxtor 250GB, 160GB, 500GB, 500GB, 1TB, 1TB SATA HDs 1 LiteOn DVD RW DL 16x/48x Drives Wacom3 6x8 QuickCam
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:03 PM
  • That's an overgeneralization.

Here, with ClassicShell's Explorer piece installed, and with the Network heading closed up (and with Favorites and Libraries removed), my expanded folders jump to the top.

I never had the problem with Vista.  It always worked as you describe:  Newly opened folders jump to the top.

-Noel

It must be something in my roaming profile. When I log in to my Vista x64 machine as local Administrator, it acts the way it should. The folder jumps to the top of the navigation pane when it is double clicked, even if it is at the bottom.

This is without ClassicShell too.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:26 PM

I agree. After I changed the setting, it works properly "sometimes".

It's a bug.

Why would anyone ever design such a feature anyway? This is super annoying.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:34 PM

I agree. After I changed the setting, it works properly "sometimes".

It's a bug.

Why would anyone ever design such a feature anyway? This is super annoying.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:34 PM
  • I get this behaviour too under home prem x64.

Even with "auto expand" disabled, I can reproduce (most of the time) as follows:

Select a folder first.

Then click the selected folder's arrow.

This will cause the selected folder to jump to the bottom.

This only occurs the first time the arrow is clicked for any particular folder.  Subsequent attempts on that same folder's arrow do NOT cause this.

If you click the arrow of any folder other than the currently selected folder, it will not jump to the bottom.

This does not seem to occur 100% of the time, there is definitely still some randomness I cannot determine the cause of.

This bug is exceptionally annoying.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:17 PM
  • wrathdelivery, check out my suggestion on February 15, 2010 3:19 PM.  It is the easiest and best answer I've found.  Hopefully MS will fix this for good with SP1.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Well, if it any consolidation - IT AIN'T FIXED YET!!!!!!!!

That probably means it ain't gonna get fixed.

U* can scream now...............

Friday, April 23, 2010 12:57 AM
  • When navigating windows explorer, if you double click to expand a folder on the left pane the focus under your mouse starts out on top of the folder you double clicked, this what you would expect.

If you continue doing this and need to slide the vertical scroll bar for the left pane or use your scroll wheel on the left pane at that point when you double click any folder to expand it, the folder moves from under your mouse cursor down close to the bottom of the pane. 

Any folder you double click from then on jumps down close to the bottom of the left pane instead of simply expanding under your cursor like you would expect.

This is the Left Pane Scroll Bug.

See the bottom of this post for help with the left pane scroll bug.

Tell MS you want it fixed by voting at the Microsoft Connect website:

http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/621426/bug-when-expanding-folders-in-explorer-server-2008-r2-and-windows-7

Watch the left pane scroll bug:

Video evidence of the left pane scroll bug using Windows Explorer in Windows 7
    This shows one way to reproduce it, clicking the triangle to expand a folder you're currently viewing also reproduces it.

Left Pane Scroll Bug threads:

1. Bug: Windows Explorer expands folders inappropriately, jumping the folder you expand to the bottom of the navigation pane

2. Windows explorer tree view expands at the bottom, not at the top as it used to be

3. Windows Explorer navigation pane issue

4. Windows explorer moves the selected folder to bottom of folders list. How do I stop this?

5. Strange folder behavior in left pane of Windows Explorer

Unfortunately when Microsoft redesigned Windows Explorer they made some pretty horrendous decisions - of which many people have complained about. There are many other file managers available, both free and for a price. One of them might be easier to use and have the features you want, here is a list of most that are available:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_managers

Classic Shell - Customize Windows Explorer with removed features (more helpful options and info below):
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net

Xplorer² Lite - single or dual pane file browser with tabs and many features:
    http://www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

Guides on how to manually make changes to Windows Explorer

How to Fix The Left Pane Scroll Bug
           See the bottom of this post for help with the left pane scroll bug using Classic Shell.
           Click here to view one of several methods to reproduce it.
           Click here to vote for fixing the left pane scroll bug.

Note: The links below involve editing the registry - be careful!

Auto Arrange Option #1 - How to disable Auto Arrange in Windows 7

Auto Arrange Option #2 - How to disable Auto Arrange in Windows 7

Libraries Folder - How to Add or Remove the Libraries Folder from the Navigation Pane

User Folder - How to Add or Remove your User Folder from the Windows 7 Navigation Pane

Full Row Select - How to Disable Full Row Select (details view) in Windows Explorer

Folder Options    Change View Settings    Using Search    Change User Folder Icon    Associate File Type    Share Folders - XP & Win7    Add/Remove Columns    Add Folder To Library

Most important features to fix or return to Windows Explorer:

1) The option to disable Auto Arrange.

2) Fix The Left Pane Scroll Bug: If you are viewing a folder and expand it in the left pane to show it's subfolders, the folder is annoyingly auto-scrolled to the bottom of the pane causing the subfolders to not be shown, making it difficult to work with. Double clicking a folder in the left pane can also cause this problem.  Vote to fix it.

3) When multiple files are selected they should stay selected when changing the sorting order (ex: Name to Size). Maintaining selected files when sorting should be a requirement and this feature should not have been removed.

4) The option to remember each folder's view settings (remembering individual folder window sizes and positions).

5) The option to remove "Full row selection" for details view. "Full row selection" is very annoying when the folder is full and has no empty space to click on. Also, when dragging/dropping files to a different folder - if you release the file on the row of a subfolder or .exe/.zip/.rar file "full row selection" causes the file to be moved into the subfolder or .exe/.zip/.rar file rather the the intended folder.

6) A search window with all the advanced search options. No syntax required.

7) The option to always show free disk space and folder size in the status bar and/or details pane. Also always automatically show the size of selected files (when many files are selected it will not show the total size).

8) The option to scroll the pane your mouse is in with mouse wheel even if that pane is not selected.

Let Microsoft know you want Windows Explorers features returned:

Since many people seem to agree that some or all the changes made to Windows Explorer have actually made it less user friendly, you can go to the Windows 7 Feedback page and (politely) let them know your suggestions for improving it:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: don't make the message too long, there is a size limit to your message even though the page doesn't tell you about it. Also, don't just copy and paste from the list above - they will think the same person is repeatedly submitting feedback.

Left pane scroll bug (and other fixes):

Using Classic Shell To Restore Some Features To Windows Explorer

After installing the free Classic Shell you can customize Windows Explorer closer to how you want it, the quote below is just one way to do so. Click here to see some of the options you can customize, and here is the FAQ page for Classic Shell.

A solution which did work for restoring some features.

1) Install the free Classic Shell.  This is very customizable, and works as a mod for Windows Explorer rather than a full blown replacement. You didn't need to install the Classic Start Menu option, but you can if you want.
    2) Reboot the computer.
    3) Launch Windows Explorer (Start - Computer) and turn on "Always Show Menus" (Organize - Layout - check Menu Bar). This is just for configuration, you can turn it off again afterwards if you want.
    4) Right click on the menu bar and turn on the "Classic Explorer Bar". This adds a series of cut/copy/paste icons to Explorer. Crucially, it also adds the "Configuration" icon.
    5) Go into the configuration and from here you can tweak things to your heart's content. To kill the horrible Windows 7 folder-jumping, switch the "Navigation Pane Style" to Vista. You can even knock it back to XP mode if you want (this adds in the lines to the folder tree and adds a classic "+" icon for expanding folders). The Windows Vista style folder view looks pretty much the same as the Windows 7 view, but gets rid of the horrible jumping.
    6) Tweak any other settings you want.

After this, you can turn the toolbar and menus back off in Explorer if you wish. Windows Explorer looks largely the same, but folders no longer jump around. Vote for Microsoft to fix this bug.

Now, if only MS could code properly so that we don't have to mess with third party apps to get Windows to actually work properly...

• Proposed as answer by lkjjlasdf Thursday, July 08, 2010 4:59 PM
    • Edited by TrekDozer Friday, January 28, 2011 4:03 AM
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:34 PM
  • 5) When two or more windows are open the pane the mouse is in should scroll even if that window/pane is not selected to make looking for files easier.

Assuming you're talking about using the scroll wheel, check out a Freeware app called WizMouse for that.  Works great!

It's a shame that a modern OS doesn't provide the best, most configurable possible experience, but alas it is what it is, and frankly while I'm hopeful I've seen no reason to believe Microsoft is going to improve it (this is based on the observation that they had to WORK to make it worse).  Maybe in Windows 7's successor.

Thank goodness for all the freeware writers who have improved Windows 7!!!

-Noel

Saturday, April 24, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Assuming you're talking about using the scroll wheel, check out a Freeware app called WizMouse for that.  Works great!

Yes, that's referring to the poor design of Windows Explorer use of the scroll mouse.

It's a shame that a modern OS doesn't provide the best, most configurable possible experience, but alas it is what it is, and frankly while I'm hopeful I've seen no reason to believe Microsoft is going to improve it (this is based on the observation that they had to WORK to make it worse).

+2

Maybe in Windows 7's successor.

Errr, I wouldn't hold your breath. Well... they might return a couple features, out of the many, many that have been lost.

Thank goodness for all the freeware writers who have improved Windows 7!!!

Indeed. And don't forget about those who find helpful registry edits.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Since our dev department finally migrated to Win7 a couple of weeks ago, I've been truly impressed with the evolution of the operating system (the last I used personally or at work was XP of some flavor).   Only a few issues have gone untouched or unimproved in some way.

Except for the file explorer.... which in my opinion has been one of the most consistent and reliable tools packaged in any Microsoft operating system since... Win95, frankly.   Would explain why it's heavily emulated in a number of other operating systems.

And if it's not a bug, can a Microsoft representative please post or link to the documentation that explains exactly how this navigation pane behavior is supposed to work given the two Tools->Folder Options->General->Navigation Pane options that the end user has available?  I'm completely open to a rational explanation of how this intended design is supposed to work.  But as of right now, I can't recognize any prescribed or predictable pattern in how the position of the folder/directory changes post mouse click.

In other words, it seems random .  That's a pretty horrible thing for a tool like this.  Especially one with such a reliable history up to this point.

Thanks.

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Greetings.

I'm still waiting (in this thread specifically as well as some others) for any kind of documentation that explains the current explorer nvaigation behavior.

Are Microsoft representatives monitoring this technet resource anymore?  Or has this issue been completely dismissed?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Greetings.

I'm still waiting (in this thread specifically as well as some others) for any kind of documentation that explains the current explorer nvaigation behavior.

Are Microsoft representatives monitoring this technet resource anymore?  Or has this issue been completely dismissed?

I think this BUG has been ignored.  I don't see hou they could say they designed it that way.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Noel,

Your regedit entries to remove "Libraries" and "Favorites" from Windows Explorer worked a treat, and I no longer have the jumping problem when expanding folders in the left pane. :-) Thanks for the help!

It does however have one drawback for me... When I use Internet Explorer (IE8), I used to be able to type in the address box the name of one of my favorites, and it would automatically show me various favorites that contain that text. After editing the registry to implement your changes, that feature has been disabled. Now when I type text into the address bar in IE, it only shows me URLs that I previously entered into the address box directly. In fact, it doesn't even show me URLs that would appear as "History", i.e. URLs that I have navigated to by clicking links, but that I didn't enter into the address box directly.

I guess its because we're disabling a part of the "Favorites" feature. Maybe it's possible to change the regedit number:

to a different number, which still keeps the IE behaviour?!

Monday, June 14, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Here's the thing...

Frakking MOZILLA developers can figure out where the mouse cursor is AND sanely expand/contract a tree of folders in a tree view - just look at Thunderbird. WHY CAN'T MICROSOFT!!?!?!

If my mouse cursor is over the list of files on the right and I mousewheel, someone needs to explain to me WHY the LEFT (Folders) pane scrolls. Please. Anyone? Bueller?

Also, if I click the 'expand' arrow to the left of a parent folder (or double-click it) in Windows Explorer, WHY IN FRAKKING ____ does the left pane scroll at all? ? If I wanted it to move, I'D MOVE IT!! I am constantly trying to find my place in the Folders pane every single time I open a parent folder. What idiot thought this was user-friendly??

U0

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Sooo... basically, since I reported this nonsense waaayyy back when, it's STILL all jacked up and nothing is ever going to be done about this, is this correct?

Cuz personally, I am completely fed up with this absolute nonsense.

As for that scrolling the left pane as opposed to the right pane that you may be attempting to scroll over, the only thing I've come to figure out with all that, is tht you are (get this) FORCED into FIRST having to click in which ever side pane you want to scroll.

How retarded is all that anyway?

In my other programs, from games to 3D programs, the programs all recognise all moves of the mouse/pen what ever and it knows you are still in THAT program, i.e. Windows File Browser.

And believe me when I tell ya, I've tried every last idea I can come up with the see IF there was some sort of way to resolve this, but so far, nothing :(

Too bad MS never pays any attention to what the masses "actually" want and even though I can see there are sposedly moderators here, they obviously have no bearing on whether or not anyone of importance will ever see the or hear about any of these complaints and FIX THEM.

....................md

780w Power supply Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Windows 7 (64bit) Build 7100 BIOS Build: 1011.006 Intel QuadCore 2: Q6600 2.40ghz G-Skill 8GB (4 x 2GB) 1100 EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB KO ACS3 Display Driver: ForceWare 185.50 Maxtor 250GB, 160GB, 500GB, 500GB, 1TB, 1TB SATA HDs 1 LiteOn DVD RW DL 16x/48x Drives Wacom3 6x8 QuickCam
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:26 PM
  • I absolutely and unequivocally agree with UserZeroTwo. If I wanted to move my folder tree up or down then 'I' will move it and not M$. We are not idiot users and do NOT need to be shown what to do. Microsoft need to stand up and justify their stance in view of this massive backlash. We all seriously hope that M$ address this issue in the up and coming service pack. Otherwise it is completely understandable that you would consider moving to a different O/S. The problem of folders auto scrolling up and down the screen causes you no end of anxiety when you try to refocus on the folder in hand, not to mention the complete waste of time it is

Comeon M$, listen to your people or you will have none left

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:40 PM
  • My boss just got a new computer with Windows 7 on it. It's so freaking painful to watch him dragging a folder and have it end up some place not where he was expecting. I'm so sick of hearing "Where did it go?"

Seriously guys, 168 replies and 12,000+ reads. Just fix the problem already.  We have to use this flimsy junk to do work.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:56 PM
  • The crazy, stupid most short sighted thing is.... is this... This is Microsofts best O/S in a long long time... we basically LOVE IT... BUT... for this stupid jumping explorer. Nurture our love some more!

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING .... JUST FIX IT.. STOP BEING SO F******G STUBBORN

OR... COME OUT AND TELL US WHY YOU WONT SO WE CAN PUBLICLY LAUGH AND RIDICULE YOU BEFORE WE MOVE TO SOMETHING ELSE

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:02 PM
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Allow me to add my 2 cents and a question. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and have this same very annoying problem.  I've considered trying to steal Windows Explorer from my XP machine and put it in place of the version on 7.  Exactly how dangerous does everyone think this might be?
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:09 PM
  • been there done that - doesn't work.

try EXPLORER++ or TOTAL COMMANDER

++ has a free version which has two quirks but otherwise operates like XP WE.

u can't clk/drag to select files

when renaming a folder in left pane (which BTW operates just like the right pane rename not like WE7) it doesn't immediately change the viewed name.

TOTAL COMMANDER is a different interface but with many more features and a trial but no free version.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Allow me to add my 2 cents and a question. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and have this same very annoying problem.  I've considered trying to steal Windows Explorer from my XP machine and put it in place of the version on 7.  Exactly how dangerous does everyone think this might be?

It won't work.  At least it didn't when I tried it.  The new DLL's are not compatible.

I even went so far as to try running it from system32 on a drive with a complete XP installation.  Still didn't work.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:21 PM
  • On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:09:49 +0000, apple07840 wrote:

Allow me to add my 2 cents and a question. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and have this same very annoying problem.  I've considered trying to steal Windows Explorer from my XP machine and put it in place of the version on 7.  Exactly how dangerous does everyone think this might be?

It's not a matter of danger. It's simply that what you want to do will
    not work.

Ken Blake
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:40 PM
  • It's simply that what you want to do will not work.

That pretty well sums up my experience  with Windows7 Explorer.

In fact, in this multi-boot system, Windows7 is necessarily the last installed O/S in the list.  That also describes the order in which I use it.  For this very reason.

I still have space for one more partition.

Monday, July 12, 2010 12:14 AM
  • In fact, in this multi-boot system, Windows7 is necessarily the last installed O/S in the list.  That also describes the order in which I use it.  For this very reason.

Ditto here.  I only start W7 about once a week, hoping that I find an update that fixes (m)any of the problems.

Windows XP Professional - 32-bit version --- Dual Booting With a Hardly-Used --- Window 7 Home Premium Retail - 64-bit version =========================================================== PC: Custom-built, SuperMicro MB - Dual Nocona Processors - 800 MHz FSB - 6GB DDR2 RAM - Approximately 5TB of internal storage on six assorted (Seagate and WD) drives using 3ware RAID Solution - ATI FireGL 7100 Video Card

Monday, July 12, 2010 1:43 PM
  • is there a bug fix in the sp1 beta?
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 9:07 AM
  • is there a bug fix in the sp1 beta?

Good question.  Hopefully somebody will answer.

On a similar (or not) topic, Outlook 2007 took Advanced Find off the right-click context menu, and hid it deep within the ribbon.  What's more, there was no way to make it search subfolders by default.  This was NEVER FIXED, even though hundreds (thousands?) of people asked for it to be put back the way it used to be in Office 2003.  I don't even know if it was fixed in Office 2010.  (From my Internet searches, it looks like it wasn't.)

So I am losing hope that MS is EVER going to "fix" the things we're asking for in these forums.  They don't seem to be listening to us.  I wonder how I get to be one of the folks in their commercials.

Windows XP Professional - 32-bit version --- Dual Booting With a Hardly-Used --- Window 7 Home Premium Retail - 64-bit version =========================================================== PC: Custom-built, SuperMicro MB - Dual Nocona Processors - 800 MHz FSB - 6GB DDR2 RAM - Approximately 5TB of internal storage on six assorted (Seagate and WD) drives using 3ware RAID Solution - ATI FireGL 7100 Video Card
    Monday, July 19, 2010 7:17 PM
  • even if they choose you to be in their spots, what would you say? or do?

Windows 7 in 7 seconds: This is my notebook with Win7 - and this, this is my sledgehammer - now look what I can do

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:57 PM
  • even if they choose you to be in their spots, what would you say? or do?

Windows 7 in 7 seconds: This is my notebook with Win7 - and this, this is my sledgehammer - now look what I can do 

Easy, I'd say that user-options for:

1) Browse/Explore panels that don't jump around,
    2) Multiple Detachable Taskbars,
    3) A search method that works intuitively,
    4) Explorer Windows that refresh automatically (and correctly),
    5) Return of Office Menus, and
    6) Ability to remove the Options Bar (and other IU Elements more geared to music and games),

Are all MY ideas.  And then they would be incorporated into the OS and applications (since it's now in their ads), and we would ALL be happy campers again.

(-; And I would look like a genius, to boot ;-)

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:51 PM
  • As someone asked this ... NO, there is NO FIX in SP1 Beta.

There you have, Microsoft listening to their customers.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 9:16 PM
  • The good news, is that SP1 does not seem to have wrecked anything (yet).  I have tried it on two virtual machines and one physical machine.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 1:10 AM
  • That's good news.  Thanks Brian.

-Noel

Monday, August 09, 2010 4:03 AM
  • So, let me get this straight... we all here have made it VERY CLEAR that the new File Browser sucks and doesn't work anymore, or not like it's sposed to, correct?

So... why the flip after allllllllllllll this time when they finally do come out with a service patch, they STILL haven't even bothered to deal with this HORRIBLE issue that annoys the living ____ out of all of us!?

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Just fix it, for Pete's sake, sheesh!

It's not like we're all asking for that much.

Just let us use what you always had all this time, it worked, it worked as you expected it to work and life was able to move on, instead of this mornic jumping all up and down complete nonsense that we all have to put up with every single flipping day.

Come on, MS, just fix the damn thing.......................md :(

Monday, August 09, 2010 7:51 PM
  • THE GOOD NEWS IS - that M$ doesn't break anything that millions of people love over Vista - most of whom don't even know what WE is - and therefore rakes in more $$$ because people are waiting to upgrade till SP1 - WHICH, BY ALL ACCOUNTS INCLUDING MINE, IS USELESS for the WE issue and the WIRELESS issue.

SO I guess Brian must work for M$, because there isn't any good news for anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, August 09, 2010 10:51 PM
  • It would be nice if they fixed things, and we won't know just what those things might be until we upgrade to the real SP1, but get real, guys...  Early reports that the Service Pack doesn't break anything major are good news.  If you don't see the logic in that then you're not being realistic about the path users need to follow to stay up with the tech and in proper support.

-Noel

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:18 PM
  • It would be nice if they fixed things, and we won't know just what those things might be until we upgrade to the real SP1, but get real, guys...  Early reports that the Service Pack doesn't break anything major are good news.  If you don't see the logic in that then you're not being realistic about the path users need to follow to stay up with the tech and in proper support.

-Noel

Come on, Noel.  While I've admired many things you have offered to this camp, I am quite tired of the seeming fanboy attitude.  What I'm reading here says that MS hasn't fixed THIS issue.  And you and one other guy are RAVING that they didn't screw up something else!!!  WTF!!!!!  What I'd LIKE to hear is that they fixed SOMETHING!  The Shared Icon Overlays? The resistant non-updating of file moves/deletions from one folder to another?  Are they giving back the detachable taskbars?  Is there ANY reason whatsoever to upgrade to SP1?

I am hoping so.  But from what I see ... MS giving up on Windows Mobile, to replace it with a "phone os"  (that's not a computer ... WTF, They HAD a working Pocket computer since 2000.  Their new forces are SO inept?!?!?!).  MS is making the entire desktop experience follow Apple.  Again ... WTF?!?  They had Apple beat with XP SP3 (and probably earlier).  GOD...I WISH bILL WAS STILL WITH THEM.  aT LEAST he HAD A VISION.

Oh God ... guess I hit the CAPS LOCK in my frenzy.  Hey ... it works for me.

Again ... anyone wanna report on things that actually got FIXED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Edited by p__v__s Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:44 AM
  • I second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

things that actually got FIXED:

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:04 PM
  • From Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta Notable Changes.doc:

Changes specific to Windows 7

Additional support for communication with third-party federation services

Additional support has been added to allow Windows 7 clients to effectively communicate with third-party identity federation services (those supporting the WS-Federation passive profile protocol). This change enhances platform interoperability, and improves the ability to communicate identity and authentication information between organizations.

Improved HDMI audio device performance

A small percentage of users have reported issues in which the connection between computers running Windows 7 and HDMI audio devices can be lost after system reboots. Updates have been incorporated into SP1 to ensure that connections between Windows 7 computers and HDMI audio devices are consistently maintained.

Corrected behavior when printing mixed-orientation XPS documents

Prior to the release of SP1, some customers have reported difficulty when printing mixed-orientation XPS documents (documents containing pages in both portrait and landscape orientation) using the XPS Viewer, resulting in all pages being printed entirely in either portrait or landscape mode. This issue has been addressed in SP1, allowing users to correctly print mixed-orientation documents using the XPS Viewer.

Changes common to both client and server platforms

Change to behavior of “Restore previous folders at logon” functionality

SP1 changes the behavior of the “Restore previous folders at logon” function available in the Folder Options Explorer dialog. Prior to SP1, previous folders would be restored in a cascaded position based on the location of the most recently active folder. That behavior changes in SP1 so that all folders are restored to their previous positions.

Enhanced support for additional identities in RRAS and IPsec

Support for additional identification types has been added to the Identification field in the IKEv2 authentication protocol. This allows for a variety of additional forms of identification (such as E-mail ID or Certificate Subject) to be used when performing authentication using the IKEv2 protocol.

Support for Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)

There has always been a growing need for ever more computing power and as usage models change, processors instruction set architectures evolve to support these growing demands. Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) is a 256 bit instruction set extension for processors. AVX is designed to allow for improved performance for applications that are floating point intensive. Support for AVX is a part of SP1 to allow applications to fully utilize the new instruction set and register extensions.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Explorer has its quirks, but every version of Windows has had its quirks.  I for one have found acceptable ways around all of them, and so I'm actually quite happy with my desktop experience.

Should Microsoft have messed up Explorer in the first place?  Of course not.  Is it unusable?  Of course not!

If this stuff raises your blood pressure to the point where you start cursing and writing flaming messages to people, you should probably try to get away from high tech for a while.

I do hope they fixed the nonpaged pool resource leak in the service pack.  I ran into that issue for the first time the other day where the Server service stopped accepting new connections after my system was up for 10 days.

-Noel

P.S., Look at the bright side:  If Explorer has gotten no changes in SP1 then maybe they really did fire all the shell team and we can expect good things in the next version.

Friday, August 13, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Hey Noel,

Yeah, you're right in that I should've watched my language.  And you're right, that SINCE this stuff IS making my blood pressure boil, I should give it up for a while.  Fact is ... I WANT to give it up FOREVER, but I need to wait until I can securely retire.  A few more years, at most, thank gosh.  It's just not "fun" anymore.

In the meantime, I'm stuck with a company (MS) that no longer cares about backward compatibility, nor current client base.  They have proven themselves unresponsive to (professional) user requests, and develop with utter disregard to the throngs that have made them who they are, forcing all of them to relearn the most basic applications.  In my opinion, they are "tunnel-visioning" in an attempt to gain market share from the tunes/movies/entertainment factions who proselytize Apple.

For example, a look at the changes in Office 2007, which made us all relearn the basics of how to use our computers, shows this trend.  This thing was/is a joke on anyone who knew how to use those apps before!  There was no reason for the changes they made to the UI.  Office2007 doesn't really do ANYTHING that couldn't be done in Office2003.  It's just uglier and it's controls take up too much space.  It's "full of itself", to use one of your own expressions, Noel.

A further look at MS's abandon of a perfectly good hand-held computer OS (in favor of a "phone" OS) shows that they no longer have the drive/talent to create the things they used to.  This is ridiculous in this day-and-age!!!.  Nokia and others are building phone OS's that ARE computers (and bragging about it daily), and MS, who had the first one (but failed to market it) is dumbing down their only offering, explaining that Windows Phone 7 is NOT a computer, but a phone.  I can't believe this is for-real!

Now, last year, they gave us W7, with it's "Burn this to CD" taking up vertical screen real estate  that I can't disable (FWIW, I don't need to burn my spreadsheets, access db's and word docs to CD, thank you).  They removed my all-important multiple taskbars, and the shared file/folder icon overlays, and SO MANY things I relied on in XP to do my job.  This is just absurd!

I agree with your possible "Bright side" P.S. (maybe they fired the team???), but I am sad that MS has not yet taken YOU up as the lead in development of a trustworthy file manager/browser.  YOU, sir, DO seem to have a vision befitting the past MS that most of us remember.  As I stated before, I admire the many fixes you've found, and thank you for trying to salvage W7.

Also, FWIW, I'm happy for you that YOU have found all the workarounds you need to make W7 "usable" for yourself.  I guess I might have, too (thanks to your help on these forums).  But the fact is that I am not comfortable with them.  I don't like needing to rely on 7+ different 3rd-party apps and registry tweaks to make my OS "usable".  I feel this makes debugging and attribution-to-causes extremely vague and cumbersome.  W7 is NOT an acceptable OS, in my opinion, and I continue to use XP for anything that matters.

For these reasons, I simply cannot condone the offering of "kudos" on a Service Pack that doesn't even solve the most prevalent of issues noted by the user base.  Noel, in this, I feel you are being disingenuous to the cause, and I am giving up hope that things will ever get better.

No Noel, I DON'T understand why we should be happy that "nothing else is broken".  Personally, I was holding out hope that SP1 would allow me to uninstall most/all the 3rd party add-ons, and would give me pride. once again, in the OS that I once loved.  Guess that's not going to be the case, as long as folks like you are happy that "nothing else was broken".  Just lowering the bar doesn't cut it for me.

Finally, FWIW, I see in Brian Borg's post, that maybe ... just MAYBE they've made Window 7SP1 remember the settings of more than one window.  I hope I am reading and understanding this right, because that would at LEAST give MS a reason to call it WindowS 7.

-Paul

Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:22 AM
  • P.S., Look at the bright side:  If Explorer has gotten no changes in SP1 then maybe they really did fire all the shell team and we can expect good things in the next version.

Sorry ... just one more thing ... pay them MORE money for Windows 8, for stuff that SHOULD'VE been included in Windows 7, and already existed in Windows XP.

You're OKay with that?!?!?!

I'm not.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:35 AM
  • I understand and respect your rather emphatic point of view.

The simple fact is that I feel I've gotten good value for what I paid for Windows 7.  It does what I need (and you should know I'm demanding of my computer systems).  After having tweaked it and settled in with what the UI actually does, I find I can do what I want with it.  Hey, my icons on my desktop haven't moved from where I put them in 8 months nor changed their spots.  No prior version of Windows has managed that.  One has to look for the little bright spots in life...  :)  I still do find using Windows fun.

You clearly feel you haven't gotten a good value.  That's unfortunate.

We don't know what's going to be in the REAL service pack release yet, but I honestly won't be surprised if Explorer gets no better.  I had hopes it would, but inasmuch as Microsoft made Explorer what it is in the first place, there's clearly someone who's convinced it's what the public needs.  I am completely convinced that management minds in the corporate world are getting ever more stupid.

Note that Microsoft HAVE broken things in the past (look at Windows 7 itself).  That they've broken nothing new in the Service Pack beta seems actually nice by comparison (kind of a "feels good when it doesn't hurt so much" thing, I guess).  Clearly we're all going to have to move up to SP1 sooner or later, and so it's good to hear that it may be stable.

Microsoft no doubt figures that if they do something good, that'll sell more copies now, and if they do something bad and fix it in a future release, they can hype it up ("New and Improved!") and that'll sell more copies later.  That's not healthy, but it's life in 2010 with a corporation that's gotten so big and rich that it can't fail.

-Noel

Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:56 AM
  • I do think the operating system as a whole is a good value.  I do not accept the supposition that the overall value add should diminish the frustration that this particular bug causes users.

Frankly I think it's deplorable that up to this point the only reply from Microsoft on this board as well as others is that the behavior works as advertised.  Several months ago (and in this thread I believe) I had even asked for documentation that would describe the expected behavior of what we're observing. 

I'm not surprised that there wasn't a reply.  Short of looking at the source code myself, there seems to be no rhyme or reason or predictability to the left pane's movement.  Randomness is something that belongs in games.  Not an operating system tool.  This absolutely falls into the category of "bug", at least it would in my opinion (based on my 15 years of professional software development experience).

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Voting for this one.  Sorry, I don't have time to read the incredibly long discussion, but I will say that this behavior of the left panel in Explorer is one of the most frustrating user interface flaws in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.  I'd go so far to say that it's the only flaw that I really care to see fixed in a service pack.  If the service pack release notes read as follows, I'd be happy.

"Total issues resolved: 1.  Issue #1: Scrollbar was not correctly adjusting in all cases to reveal contents of selected directory in File Explorer's tree view."

I have been irked by but living with this for months.  I just upgraded my wife's computer to Windows 7 two weeks ago and on that very day she said, "What's the story with the scroll-bar not working correctly in the directory tree view?"  I laughed.  What else is there to do but laugh?

Seriously.  What is the deal?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:55 PM
  • Did I ever mentioned how incredible mad I am because of this jumping? Ooh, yes of course, I have... hmm, seems that nobody noticed it from Macrohard (you got it? Macro - Micro and hard - soft? got it? .................. sorry for this ____)

Just a moment ago I deleted AGAIN a folder, because the focus wasn't where it has to be. I am working almost a f****g year now with WE on Win7 and I thought I was accustomed to it, but nooo... because if, I wouldn't delete a folder only because I am in a hurry and doesn't have the time to look on the right and on the left side to be sure the focus is on the correct file or folder. Damn stupid jumping... AND WHY ARE THERE NO CHANGES ON THE RIGHT WHEN I MOVE WITH MY ARROW KEYS ON THE LEFT SIDE? I don't get it, where is the logical behavior that I have to move and press enter befor I can see the files a folder contains? Why is it like that? I know everything in this world, even the answer to life, the universe and everthing... but I don't know why I have to push enter if I use my keyboard...

OK, I don't know everything, BUT I now that the guy who thougt...... "Damn, my associate invented Bitlocker, I have to do something. HEY! Thats is: People first have to choose the left folder in WE, and if you want to see whats in there, well of course that would be a good idea that all people have to push enter first, yeah. And if they don't wuuoohahahahahaa, they can't see whats in there."..... where was I? yes, yes, THIS guy should use my sledgehammer I mentioned a few comments ago on his fingers, so he can never ever type a line of code... OR he could simply fix that behavior, please?

Perhaps the comments are to hard sometimes. If I would get such comments I wouldn't change a thing on my software. No thats wrong I would, but maybe someone is pissed off right now... since a year... So I apologize for me and everyone else and ask nicely:

Hi Microsoft :) could you please work on your Windows Explorer? That would be really great, because a lot of people have problems with it's strange behavior. I just deleted a folder because the focus wasn't where I thought it would be (to explain: I worked 10 years with another Windows Explorer from Microsoft, it shows a different behavior). Luckily the folder was on my Desktop and not on a network share, so I could recover it without problems, but it's only a matter of time that somebody will have data loss.

Would be nice to hear from you, but don't just say 42 ;) Greetings, S.J.

Friday, September 10, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Yup, I lost 300 gigs of virtual machines that had not been backed up in over a month. Did I mention the backup program doesn't work for me? Besides crashing, it only has 1 schedule. My internal drives are bigger than my biggest backup drive, so I have to backup manually everything that doesn't fit.

Like you, I had a different folder highlighted than the one I had selected. I was looking at a list of files I wanted to delete but that's not what happened. Instead of deleting a single virtual machine, I deleted outright ALL of my virtual machines. I tried many recovery programs but most disk images were unusable.

So in the end I lost a month of work because the folder highlighted was not the selected folder, the one I was looking at in the details pane. I've watched co-workers make this same mistake, and I've heard complaints from friends about losing data this way. Maybe this behavior needs re-thinking.

So my official suggestion is to use ACDSee as a file manager. It operates much as you would expect Windows Explorer to operate. The folder highlighted is the folder selected. It has shortcut keys for copying and moving and remembers destination folders. You can even set the explorer context menu as default right click. It's meant for images so no special preview handlers; but that doesn't matter because Windows Explorer doesn't even preview txt files.

• Edited by leobaby Friday, September 10, 2010 6:27 PM formatting
    Friday, September 10, 2010 2:03 PM
  • So my official suggestion is to use ACDSee as a file manager. It operates much as you would expect Windows Explorer to operate. The folder highlighted is the folder selected. It has shortcut keys for copying and moving and remembers destination folders. You can even set the explorer context menu as default right click. It's meant for images so no special preview handlers; but that doesn't matter because Windows Explorer doesn't even preview txt files.

Or even better, I've found that Windows XP SP3 works great!!!  I never have this problem. ;-)
    Friday, September 10, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Or even better, I've found that Windows XP SP3 works great!!!  I never have this problem. ;-)
    While Windows 7 method of organizing and browsing files is convoluted, often broken, and seems to lack vision; I would not go that far.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 6:34 PM
  • got it, GOT IT, unbelievable, but why now? I tested this several times... because of someone mentioned it here

I wondered why you asked me: Only Computer and Network... because my WE started with Desktop and under it the rest like Network, Computer, System...

so theres this option to change the navigation window style with "Show all folders" (which is horrible if you still have favorites and library), I am sure that I have tested it a thousand times, but now it is working, but why? Could be I haven't made the registry entries at this time...

So if you check it, you will have the glitch... if you wan't to try
    If you uncheck it, the jumping to the bottom is gone

Jack, thanks for this answer, fixes it here too. Never thought that option could be related to that scrolling bug! :)

Edit: unfortunately, this creates weird redrawing problems in my left pane... also didn't show my Alcohol 120% virtual drive for some reason; so i have turned the option back on.

However, the Classic Shell plugin does wonders in fixing this issue. :)

Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:54 PM
  • This hasn't fixed anything for me.  Left pane still scrolls when using the arrow or double clicking a directory to expand it.

This is a BUG .  Please fix it, Microsoft.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:08 PM
  • I want to keep the favorites and get rid of this behavior. Is this possible???
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 6:37 PM
  • I've been annoyed by this behavior of explorer since I installed it ages ago - going through these threads I was trying different things with no luck - until I disabled the navigation pane - checked out a few folders, then enabled it ( I like the navigation pane when it works) and the behavior has stopped for half an hour now - not sure why - but the disabling/enabling might have fixed something on my system.
    Monday, January 03, 2011 2:26 PM
  • The only solution I found for this behaviour is a stand-alone software. ClassicShell.

I really recommend it. You get your old tree menu on the left, and you can customize a bunch of stuff to behave themselves.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:28 AM
  •  

Left Pane Scroll Bug

VOTE TO HAVE THE BUG FIXED:

Tell MS you want it fixed by voting at the Microsoft Connect website:

http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/621426/bug-when-expanding-folders-in-explorer-server-2008-r2-and-windows-7

Watch the left pane scroll bug:

Video evidence of the left pane scroll bug using Windows Explorer in Windows 7
    This shows one way to reproduce it, clicking the triangle to expand a folder you're currently viewing also reproduces it.

FIX THE BUG IN 10 MINUTES:

The steps below eliminate the problem in Windows Explorer, but it will still exist in the open/save dialogs.

Left pane scroll bug (and other fixes):

Using Classic Shell To Restore Some Features To Windows Explorer

After installing the free Classic Shell you can customize Windows Explorer closer to how you want it, the quote below is just one way to do so. Click here to see some of the options you can customize, and here is the FAQ page for Classic Shell.

A solution which did work for restoring some features.

1) Install the free Classic Shell.  This is very customizable, and works as a mod for Windows Explorer rather than a full blown replacement. You didn't need to install the Classic Start Menu option, but you can if you want.
    2) Reboot the computer.
    3) Launch Windows Explorer (Start - Computer) and turn on "Always Show Menus" (Organize - Layout - check Menu Bar). This is just for configuration, you can turn it off again afterwards if you want.
    4) Right click on the menu bar and turn on the "Classic Explorer Bar". This adds a series of cut/copy/paste icons to Explorer. Crucially, it also adds the "Configuration" icon.
    5) Go into the configuration and from here you can tweak things to your heart's content. To kill the horrible Windows 7 folder-jumping, switch the "Navigation Pane Style" to Vista. You can even knock it back to XP mode if you want (this adds in the lines to the folder tree and adds a classic "+" icon for expanding folders). The Windows Vista style folder view looks pretty much the same as the Windows 7 view, but gets rid of the horrible jumping.
    6) Tweak any other settings you want.

After this, you can turn the toolbar and menus back off in Explorer if you wish. Windows Explorer looks largely the same, but folders no longer jump around. Vote for Microsoft to fix this bug.

Now, if only MS could code properly so that we don't have to mess with third party apps to get Windows to actually work properly...

You can also let Microsoft know you want this bug fixed here:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: don't make the message too long, there is a size limit to your message even though the page doesn't tell you about it.

When navigating windows explorer, if you double click to expand a folder on the left pane the focus under your mouse starts out on top of the folder you double clicked, this what you would expect.

(regarding Classic Shell):

Very interesting.  Sure enough, in the 1.0.0 section of their history document:

- Fix for the scroll problems in the Explorer navigation pane (Windows 7 only)
    I took a look at the code.  This is the comment on the change that works around the bug.  It implies that Explorer is trying to ensure things that it expands for the first time are visible, which nicely supports the observation that expansion of things like Favorites, Libraries, and Network are causing the problem.

// HACK! there is a bug in Win7 Explorer and when the selected folder is expanded for the first time it sends TVM_ENSUREVISIBLE for
      // the root tree item. This causes the navigation pane to scroll up. To work around the bug we ignore TVM_ENSUREVISIBLE if it tries
      // to show the root item and it is not selected
    I would say looking over the code that the programmer, Ivo Beltchev, is a pretty bright guy.  Bravo, Ivo!

-Noel
    Mine does the same thing. Bizarre I know, as I'm not use to it jumping down to the bottom of the screen, you would expect it to open the folder and stay open and NOT jump down.
    And really, "Automatically Expand to Current Folder" has nothing to do with the Navigation pane scrolling around wildly.  That's just plain bad programming.
    I noticed this same strange functionality in Win 7. It seems very random, but once it starts it continues to reposition the folder to the bottom of the left pane. It is very annoying and most certainly needs to be classified as a BUG.

None of the suggested "fixes" makes any difference.

It is almost as annoying as the problem selecting files in Explorer which deselects all your selected files when you resort the files by some other property.
    ATTENTION MICROSOFT! PLEASE FIX THIS NAVIGATION PANE SCROLLING BUG!
    Yes, it has made it to the final release. This is sad and very annoying. Having my selected root folder jump out from underneath me and the treeview scroll in some unpredictable position is rather annoying.

This hasn't fixed anything for me.  Left pane still scrolls when using the arrow or double clicking a directory to expand it.

This is a BUG .  Please fix it, Microsoft.

I too have been waiting for M$ to come up with a fix for the jumping explorer pane issue, its driving me nuts. I reboot and use WinXP when I have a lot of folder operations and filing to do and that's just plain nuts to have to do that...
    I do think the operating system as a whole is a good value.  I do not accept the supposition that the overall value add should diminish the frustration that this particular bug causes users.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:16 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:32 AM
  • ClassicShell does not completely fix it.  The contents of the pane will still jump, for example, when the system expands the Network root heading.

I think the general issue here is that Microsoft has undertaken to try to get the displays of things on the screen sooner, while there is still data yet to be obtained.  You can see this clearly with the Programs & Features dialog, for example:  With XP you'd get a little "please wait" message, while with Windows 7 you see the dialog being filled item by item.

With most dialogs - and the Programs & Features and Explorer Navigation panes are good examples - it's hard to actually DO something useful with the data while it's still being filled and stuff is being moved around, and in fact it may be more deterministic to do the "please wait" message.  The worst of it is you're never quite sure whether it's done.

But it is what it is.  I guess the little swinging flashlight was deemed too irritating in and of itself.

-Noel

Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:38 PM
  • ClassicShell does not completely fix it.   The contents of the pane will still jump, for example, when the system expands the Network root heading.

It's not a perfect fix, but most people find Classic Shell greatly reduces the problem (and their urge to throw the computer out the window).

Also, thanks for all the investigating you've done regarding this bug Noel.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Agreed; I have not had the urge to throw my computer for a while now.  :)

-Noel

Friday, February 04, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Well, service pack 1 has come and gone, and it is still broken.

Deplorable.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Microsoft seems to be keeping to a "change as little as humanly possible" strategy with their updates and service packs...

Why?

This particular problem is pretty clearly something anyone who uses Windows Explorer would encounter (and no doubt get upset about)...  It used to actually be a joke amongst programmers to discuss an application that would jump its UI elements out from under your mouse right as you go to click on them.

Does this say:

• Microsoft wants you to be somewhat irritated with Windows 7 so than when its successor comes out you'll want to pay the $$$ for it (assuming they actually CAN make Explorer better)?
    • Microsoft simply hasn't got the talent to fix this problem?
    • Microsoft has lost all confidence in their ability to fix things without breaking other things?
    • Accidental loss of user data isn't of much concern to Microsoft?  After all, if you click on the wrong thing it's not (directly) their fault, right?  And it's not a system crash.
    • Engineers within Microsoft use something other than Windows Explorer to manage their own files?

I really thought this would be something they'd fix in the Service Pack.  Sigh.

-Noel

Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:07 PM
  • I'd like to second (third, fourth, whatever) the sentiment expressed above that it is quite appalling that such an unpopular "feature", complaints about which have been rumbling on for such a long time, has not commanded any kind of acknowledgement from M$, beyond the terse and risible "design intent" - a response from which the only conclusion we can draw is that the design process is driven by fools. No intelligent person who actually uses the navigation pane in W7 would want it to function in this way.

The whole thing is, to me, merely further evidence to support my long-held conviction that most of M$'s software is not designed with user experience in mind - which would be incredible, when you think about it. With version 7 Windows has finally started to display signs that user experience is being taken seriously (e.g. nice touches like dragging window to the side semi-maximises them to half the screen width), but this weird and illogical navigation pane behaviour is evidence that old habits die hard. It's amazing that it has taken them this long to finally cotton on to the importance of giving users a smooth and irritation-free experience, but one suspects that it is only happening now because of the rise of Apple, supported by their mostly excellent UX design. I doubt that M$ has the corporate culture to ever really excel at this themselves, and yet W7 does a half decent job of it - with the exception of a few major UX stinkers, but this only makes it more frustrating that they appear so disinterested in listening to their users, because with just a few tweaks it could become so much better an OS.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:25 AM
  • and me it keeps jumping back to en  wen im searching .com.au
    Friday, March 18, 2011 11:18 AM
  • One would think that even though MS regards this as a feature, that with so many negative responses to it they would at least make it optional. The only reason i can think of for them to maintain this "bug" is because it depends on some other feature.

My biggest problem with this is that I loose many of my files because the folders decide to jump on me as soon as I release a file while moving or copying it.

Installing "Classic Explorer" seems to limit this behaviour. I only hope Windows 8 doesn't have it (I have given up on it ever being fixed in 7)

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:13 PM
  • I've been experiencing the same problem for months.  I can't stand it.  And why is anyone surprised?  Microsoft usually can't make very good software.  Period.  Every OS is plagued with weird bugs that shouldn't have passed quality control.  

Win 95/98 - loses passwords, weird crashes

ME - I didnt see what all the fuss was.  Across 2000+ machines, very little issues.

XP - the best they ever had - still swiss cheese for security but overall - wonderful interface, and stability, well placed menus, and labels.

Vista:  Slow copying, slow loading, slow slow slow and crappy.  Major video issues on many OEM machines.  Copy bug.  Only fixed YEARS afterwards.  How is it... that you can tag 50,000 files on one pc, goto another one, paste and not end up with 50,000 files?  Only in Vista.

Win 7 - LOTS of promise.  Hate some of the cosmetic UNFIXED problems with it.  This bug.  Annoying behavious of bottom bar.  XP method was WAY better.  Win 7 method is sloppy.

Only Microsoft could screw up so bad that PICTURES can infect your pc.  Music can infect your computer.  HOW?!?!?  Omg...  You have to go out of your way to make a picture infect your computer.  It's not a freaking executable.  Stop treating it like one.  UGH... A picture or music should NEVER be able to infect a PC.  How sad.  It's the lousy way they implement things.  Swiss cheese OS.  Full of holes.   How many "Please install this fix... this fix resolves a buffer overrun/underun where an attacker can take over your machine and gain full control over it..." etc etc etc.   Literally thousands of them.  Bufferover runs, underruns.  How can a subject field in an email possibly infect your computer?  I know how...  Reserve approx 200 characters for the subject, and anything you copy and paste into there (internally in code) don't do any boundary checking.  Sad.  Pathetic.

I can never take this company seriously anymore.  I'm sick of them.   As much as I hate Apple we need something new to compete with Micro$haft.  The cost of Windoze is more than most components in the PC yet it's usually the main cause of problems in a PC.

If Microsoft was MY company... Vista would NEVER have been released in it's current condition.  What do you mean it can't copy files?   What does an OS do anyways?  Copy and manipulate files?  Maybe... THAT SHOULD BE FIXED BEFORE RELEASE!   Why does it need 4gb to barely run smoothly?  Who programmed this.  I want to talk to that team right now.   WTF are you thinking?  FIX IT!  Whats wrong with you?

For Win 7 - wow, this side scrolling bug is driving me crazy.  And the way the bottom bars act really blows.  I want full XP style menus back.  We will add new bugs I mean "Features" but AT LEAST WE WILL GIVE PEOPLE A CHOICE on how it looks without editing registry crap.   Who is the team that renamed EVERYTHING and shifted its position?  Lets put in junctions that mess up cacls and other security tools.  Lets write security tools that SAY they will change security on child objects, files and folders but lets skip thousands of them with no warnings creating a spaghetti mess of permissions.  UGH... I could go on and on and on for weeks!

The explorer team NEEDS to be fired.  They obviously can't program.  How many versions of windows now?  How many explorer problems and crashes?  Ugh...

Internet Explorer...  horrible upon first implementation.  Got slowly better.  Snuffed out a better product (Netscape) through monopolistic practices.  Why does my website work perfect in every browser EXCEPT INternet Explorer.  Thankfully due to competition IE is getting better.  The new firefox is nice.  Chrome is ok.  As for rendering websites.  They work great!  IE is usually the exception.

And IE compatibility mode?  Wow....  horrid... just horrid.

Back to Win 7 - 

Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Devices?!?!?!  WTF....

File Junctions?  Ugh....
    The entire FILE security subsystem is so butchered it's a joke.
    HOMEGROUP... WHAT?  Saddest "feature" of Win 7/Vista.  Completely pathetic.

Network speeds are WAY up at least copying between 2 win 7 machines.  I DO enjoy the (hold win key and hit left or right for windows) - beautiful.  But renaming everything and calling it new...  lame.

I can't take this company seriously.  Cosmetic annoyances aside...  DON'T remove old features.  ADD to your products.  How about... recording webcam video in Movie Maker.  Removed after XP.   WHY?  You already paid someone to implement it.  It worked amazing.  And you remove it?  I want to scream.

I can't wait till this pathetic excuse of a software company is put into the ground.  Someone PLEASE rise up and knock over this monopoly so we can have some competition.  It seems that competition is the ONLY way to force a company to care.

VERY few customers like the new Win 7 features.  They ask me to put it back to XP style most of the time.  Some do like the new interface.  Majority do not.

I'm tired of being a PAID tester.  As in... I PAY you for software that you barely test, that I end up testing.  That never gets fixed.  I'm tired of crap software that needs 5,000+ software patches over its lifetime and still barely makes the product better.

BING sucks also.  The only reason they have any marketshare is because they have monopolized the market.  If they were a separate company from MS they would barely crack 1% market share.  Bing is better than the MSN search however.

I keep having high hopes for Microsoft and am constantly let down.  I'm upset because I see this crap every day across thousands of customer machines in my business. I keep thinking...  maybe this version of Windows... please... let it be nice so I can't complain...

Why bother complaining.  No one cares.  Nothing gets done.  The only way they will change this HUGE explorer annoyance is if it affects their pocket book and thats not likely to happen soon.  Thats the problem of being a monopoly.  You do your own thing, who cares about anyone as long as the money is rolling in.  And its not like we have anything better to goto?  Linux?   Tried many flavors....  Not even close to the quality of Windows 7.  Ubuntu, while "ok" has many many shortfallings unless you like the terminal.  Apple... runs on Linux.. more polished.. but still...  I dont like the layout of them and assorted other issues.

Anyways, thats my 20 cents worth...

MICROSOFT - Just fix this issue so I can stop complaining about the most annoying thing I have ever seen in an OS.  I spend 70+ hours on a PC every week.  THIS is why I am so short fused.  I've basically had it.

• Proposed as answer by john-PC Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:43 PM
    Sunday, May 01, 2011 12:57 AM
  • Don't hold back, Perry.  Tell us what you really think.

Seriously, I agree with what you said.  Although I have gotten used to the Windows 7 idosyncrocies, a post like this makes me fondly remember the way it used to be.  Although there is a lot added to Windows7/Server2008R2, there was a lot taken away.  It remains to be seen if ALL the added features are worthwhile additions.

I also agree with john-PC for marking it as a proposed answer.  Microsoft needs to get back to reality in its software development.  It seems that now it is being driven by marketing or other executives who have no real knowledge of what will make the end users happy, nor any knowledge of software development.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 11:12 PM
  • I'm tired of being a PAID tester.  

That's actually wrong.  If they were having us test it they would actually listen to our comments about what's wrong.

We just have to face the fact that this is "commercial quality" and make the best of it.

-Noel

Sunday, May 29, 2011 5:27 PM