none
Error code 80004002

Question

• I'm having problems with Windows Vista on my desktop. Whenever I try to do a 'windows update' it just tells me that "Windows could not search for new updates. Error code 80004002."

I tried this: (22 Dec 2007, 10:46 PM Anthony Mann [MSFT]

Open an Administrator Command Prompt (Start->All Programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt, but right click and select the Run as Administrator option).

Register the Windows Update DLLs by executing the REGSVR32 command, followed by the name of the DLL to register. Register/re-register all of these: wuapi.dll, wuaueng.dll, wucltux.dll, wups.dll, wups2.dll, wuwebv.dll

Got the same result Error Code 80004002 (but took 5 seconds instead of immediately).

Its a Windows Vista Ultimate 64 desktop with all the updates until 11/15/2007 at which time the windows update got the 80004002

Any ideas?

Saturday, January 05, 2008 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hey, I'm so sorry I can't help you, but just wanted to let you know that I'm having the exact same problem on my laptop! It's so frustrating and no one seems to have a solution:/ So if you find something that actually fixes it, could you let me know? and I'll do the same Smile I hope someone knows what to do... Have a good weekend! ~DJ~

Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:36 AM
  • Lucky me I'm actually able to search for updates and download the the available ones, but when it comes to installing the dreaded 80004002 appears.

I must have roamed the net for at least 10 hours looking for solutions for my problem but so far no luck.

I have also tested re-registering several dlls and also doing a "clean" boot but no :-(

Can someone help us?

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:48 PM
  •  JQuigley wrote:

Register the Windows Update DLLs by executing the REGSVR32 command, followed by the name of the DLL to register. Register/re-register all of these: wuapi.dll, wuaueng.dll, wucltux.dll, wups.dll, wups2.dll, wuwebv.dll

This worked for me.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Just wanted to summit my response on this and tell you, "Thank You", it worked great.

I have an XP computer I was working on and it would not load any Microsoft Updates, it just would keep saying it failed.

Looked at the Windows Update log to find the error number.

Click Start, then click Run. In the open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, the press Ok.

and noticed at the bottom in the log that it had an error:

WARNING: Operation failed due to earlier error, hr  =  80004002.

---------------------

Via running the REGSVR32 command, 4 of the 6 worked for me. After that finished, I went to Microsoft Updates again, and it worked like a charm. This one was a little pain the the butt to find out what was going on.

Just wanted to say Thank You again and for anyone else that runs into this problem, hopefully they will find this useful.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:00 PM
  •  

This worked for me as well. This has been an ongoing problem, that I think stems from service pack 3 on windows XP. I started with a fresh install and updated to SP3. I then went back to windows update only to find that my updates were failing. This same thing happened to me last month when rebuilding my wife's laptop after registering the DlLL's above(2 weren't found) windows update is chugging right along now. If anyone knows how to light a fire under Microsoft's butt to get this fixed please do. I'm a techy so figuring this stuff out doesn't take long, but the average user would have no clue what's going on.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 6:45 PM
  • however re regestering these dills did not solve the update issue in vista....I have the same issue as well
    error 80004002 is there any solution for vista, defender and microsoft up dates both are stricken with it....everything was fine last month
    I hope a solution will find us or do I have to reinstalll the os??????

stephen brings-catoe
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:14 PM