none
Windows 7 download stops at 99%

Question

• Everytime I try to download Windows 7 RC, it stops at 99%. I tried using the download manager from Akaimi and also another one from Orbit. Both do the same thing. Any ideas?

Friday, May 22, 2009 11:02 PM

Answers

• Everytime I try to download Windows 7 RC, it stops at 99%. I tried using the download manager from Akaimi and also another one from Orbit. Both do the same thing. Any ideas?

Hi

Be sure you give the download plenty of time when it reaches 99%.

This is where it performs the automatic verification process and this can take some time to complete.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, May 22, 2009 11:08 PM

All replies

Hi

Be sure you give the download plenty of time when it reaches 99%.

This is where it performs the automatic verification process and this can take some time to complete.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, May 22, 2009 11:08 PM
  • I have this downloading on 2 different computers and it's been at 99% on both for a week.  any Ideas
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Did anyone ever solve this?  I'm experiencing the same problem.  I've tried downloading from two difference machines, one running XP Professional and another Vista Ultimate.  I've let the download manager sit at 99% for over 8 hours and it just simply will not finish.  I've tried to find direct download links to avoid using the download manager, but I've had no luck.  Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Possibly the only way is to retry. If it stucks at the end that could mean that there are errors in the download.
    I already experienced this with other big files when using several segments and the download manager is actually using multiple
    connections. That's why Linux distributions (DVD size) are only avaible on bittorrent where you don't have such problems.

I just downloaded the file again for test using Firefox (up to date) with IEtab extension and IE7 installed and it just finished fine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    XP Pro x64 / Asus P5E WS Pro / Intel E8400 (3.70 GHz) / 8 G RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:57 PM
  • I have recently suffered a similar problem, and i did overcome it after seveal weeks of frustration and googling for answers

i had a previous license to Macafee that had expired but i deferred the decision to renew ( I am not knocking Macafee, but i was paying for SpywareDetector anyway) -  any .exe download only got to 99% complete and then hung as you have indicated.

Eventually... i DEINSTALLED Macafee, and lo and behold, could now download lots of .exe's including skype, digiguide lite , c++ redist modules,etc...

So maybe that is all you need to do also. verify any spy detector with an expired license, and maybe it is causing the block on your pc.
    • Proposed as answer by jord22 Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:17 AM
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:04 PM
  • I had the same problem numerous times, but when my USB wireless started disconnecting (which never happened before) I ran the ethernet cable from my modem straight in, the download smoothly completed.  Possible wireless router NAT setting causing problem.  I have finally completed download of the RC and computer is up and running Win7 now.  So far real nice.  Be sure to copy down your Key Code before installing Win7 rc.
                                                David...
    • Proposed as answer by DWDuggan Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:48 AM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Another thread I read told me to find the location of the partialy downloaded file and change the file extension to .iso since the file is actually downloaded entirely although it says 99%.
    • Proposed as answer by jord22 Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 4:46 AM
  •  
    surely it would be better to fix the blocking of 99% if possible, before starting the download, but do not hang around 2 weeks for the download to complete - if after 1 or 2 hours, it starts hanging at 99%, suspect some security service as blocking the download or some other reason. (i am very impatient and if i dont see continuing progress after 10 minutes, i will kill the download anyway)

i woulnt personally trust a 99% file renamed as iso. i would want to check it out somehow by comparing it with somebody else's download. it might work sometimes, i'll grant you that. let me know if you ran a difference test on your iso file versus another download and can say its equal.

• Edited by raptor10 Wednesday, August 05, 2009 10:58 AM spelling
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 10:57 AM
  • The information about renaming the file was markerd as an answer by a moderator and came from one of the more knowledgable contributers but not me. If I had the link to that thread I would post it here.

There is no software that could block the download of this file. Normally when windows downloads a file it stores it in a temoporary folder and when it's finished it copies it to the place you picked and that is when the block takes place.

This .iso file uses a special program and does not use a temporary folder so it downloads directly to the place you picked without any copying. Sometimes the active x control program "Download manager" Akami software tells you 99% when it's 100%. People reported changing the extension worked. Now i'm looking for that post. 

Also people reported downloading with firefox solves it.
    • Edited by ONE ZERO Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Had this too some time ago.
    I noticed that my 'temporary internet files' folder was set to 'read only' ....

I changed it and could continue downloading :)

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Cliff927,
        Your info was helpful in my discovery of the 99% download problem.  I bypassed my wireless router which uses a NAT type firewall, not sure if that was the problem, and the download continued flawlessly.  Something was preventing the final sequence of the file by my router for at least 10 trys.  If anyone else out there has this same problem try going direct to your modem via cable.     Thx David...
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:07 AM
  • Had this too some time ago.
    I noticed that my 'temporary internet files' folder was set to 'read only' ....

I changed it and could continue downloading :)

That would make no difference becouse the 7 rc .iso file does not download to temporary internet files.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:33 PM
  • When I downloaded the 64-bit Win7 RC overnight and I returned to find it hung at 99%, I paused the download for a few seconds and then resumed and the download reached 100% soon thereafter. Now to test whether the file is usable.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:21 PM
  •    Yes Cliff I found the answer.  For some reason some downloads including Win 7 require a direct hardline to 
    your router, and not a wireless connection. Twice I've had the same problem and a direct connection fixed the problem
    both times. Just yesterday during a download I had the same 99% complete hold on a differant program, but as
    soon as I changed to a CAT 6 direct wire the problem cleared up. I think it has a problem with too many IP
    addresses created by using wireless and most likely wants to id yours via your home network. Probably something
    to do with verification process because it's at the end of the download when secure verification occurs.
    • Proposed as answer by DWDuggan Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:43 AM
  • DWDuggan:  That looks like a workaround, to go via your cable Lan connection. Some people can't or would prefer wireless. Your point is well taken however, if wireless is very slow say over 1 hour... which can mean your workaround is a good one.  It seems that 99% complete means hanging during verification process which is all internal isnt it, so why would that now work better? curious, but what works is good also....

in thinking back, i think i also tried the cat6 method, but downloads never completed - i walked to my local library and got my digiguide lite download immediately. so anyway... good suggestion if it works some of the time its good. thanks
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:43 AM