none
0x810000E3 Error when Attempting to Recover or Use SDUTIL.EXE

Question

• I have a backup from a Windows Vista computer that had the hard drive go bad on it.  I bought a new drive and loaded Windows 7 on it and now I'm trying to restore data from the Windows Vista backup.  When I do an "Advanced Restore" I get the following error message:

Windows was not able to load the selected backup for the following reason:

There is a problem with the backup catalog.  Restore from a different backup or create a new, full backup.  (0x810000E3)

Verify that this location is valid and try again, or consider choosing a different backup.

I've now tried to rebuild the MediaID.bin file thinking it was corrupt, so I put the GlobalCatalog.wbcat file on the root of the C: drive with the sdutil.exe and I get the following error when running it:

C:\>sdutil mediaid GlobalCatalog.wbcat d:\
    == Generating MediaId.bin file ==

Loading global catalog information...

An error occured:
    (0x810000E3)

I've searched multiple forums and nothing has a description for this error or any resolution.  Any ideas anyone? Is the global catalog file corrupt?  Is there a way to regenerate this?  The backup sets appear to be valid.  There are hundreds of zip files and you can open some of them and see files.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please check if it is able to restore the other backup files to this computer.

Also, according your original description “I have a backup from a Windows Vista computer that had the hard drive go bad on it”, this issue can be caused by the backup was corrupted due to disk failure. If so, I am sorry to say that we are not able to restore it if the original backup is corrupt.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:26 AM
    Monday, August 08, 2011 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This problem may occur because the Mediaid.bin file is missing. The Mediaid.bin file may be missing if you moved the backup directory to another location.

Please follow these steps to resolve the problem:

1.    Locate the root directory of the drive or the file share where the backup was originally stored.

2.    Copy the Mediaid.bin file.

3.    Locate the root directory of the location where the backup is currently stored.

4.    Paste the Mediaid.bin file.
    For example, if the original backup location is drive D, and the backup was moved to drive E, copy the Mediaid.bin file that is located in the root directory of drive D to the root directory of drive E.

5.    Try to restore another backup file.

After that, you may refer to the steps in the following link to restore:

To restore a backup made on another computer

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Sabrina,

That doesn't work.  I get the following error message after selecting the backup and clicking "Next":

There is a problem with the backup catalog.  Restore from a different backup or create a new, full backup (0x810000E3)

Verify that this location is valid and try again, or consider choosing a different backup.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

First, please check if the backup file can be restored in another computer.

After that, you may take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Step 1: Disable the security software and then try to restore

Disable-antivirus-software

Important: Enable the security software back once everything is done.

Step 2: Put the computer in clean boot and test

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, July 11, 2011 2:53 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:11 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to say Hi, and I was wondering how everything is going. If anything is unclear, please let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Regards,

Sabrina

Monday, January 24, 2011 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. 

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Sabrina

Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:30 AM
  • This still didn't work.  Any other ideas?
    Friday, July 08, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Hi,

Can the backup file be restored in another computer?

What about the detailed error?

Regards,

Sabrina

Monday, July 11, 2011 2:53 AM
  • No, I have tried connecting the drive to another computer and get the same error message:

There is a problem with the backup catalog.  Restore from a different backup or create a new, full backup (0x810000E3)

Verify that this location is valid and try again, or consider choosing a different backup .

Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

First, please check if it is able to restore the other backup files to this computer.

Also, according your original description “I have a backup from a Windows Vista computer that had the hard drive go bad on it”, this issue can be caused by the backup was corrupted due to disk failure. If so, I am sorry to say that we are not able to restore it if the original backup is corrupt.

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:26 AM
    Monday, August 08, 2011 6:23 AM