none
Prevent XP Recycle Bin from emptying automatically .

Question

• The recycle bin empties itself at system shutdown/startup.  I can't find how to keep this from happening.  I've tested with small files that I can see in the Bin before shutdown that are gone when I bring the system back up.

Point me in a direction please.

Monday, January 17, 2011 2:57 AM

All replies

• Please check the configuration of the recycle bin. Windows XP deletes files from the recyclebin if the size goes above a configurable limit. As far as I know this is the only mechanism in XP that automaticly deletes files from the recycle bin.

Also, please check third party software that might change the recycle bin. I know of Norton AV, ccleaner, and a lot of other tweaktools or antimalware software changing the recycle bin or emptying the recycle bin. You can rule these out by testign whether the issue still occurs in safe mode.

Another last thing: in a multibootenvironment using different versions of Windows, booting an other version of Windows might corrupt the recycle bin folder and thus remove all listed files.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Monday, January 17, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Thanks for your time.  I checked the bin limits and even increased them to 30%.  I tested with one 20k document as the only thing in the bin and it too got chucked after the restart.  Weird.  

Multiboot is not an issue.  

The last point about 3rd party S/W must be the problem but I'll be darned if I can find it.  All I run is ca Internet Security and I just don't see any settings for emptying the bin on shutdown.  I'm in the process of turning everything off to see if I can find the cause.

Funny thing is that this just started out of the blue.

You at least confirmed that there is nothing I missed in XP -- So on to looking somewhere else.

thankx

Monday, January 17, 2011 3:48 PM
  • its possible,other core files are also being deleted.i suggest running anti-malware. try Windows MSRT(Malicious software removal tool)

also download and try trojan remover at www.simplysup.com

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:39 PM