none
Windows 8 will not detect my network printer or install it manually

Question

• My printer shows up under network but when I try to use Advanced printer setup it doesn't find it.  Tried installing it manually and it doesn't work either.  Printer worked with windows 7 on both my laptops but I upgraded both to windows 8 and can not get either to install the printer. 

Printer is a cannon MP620 and it has a supported windows 8 driver.  It will install with USB but I need it to be a network printer. 

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:31 AM

Answers

• I got it working. I had to install it using the old control panel and devices.  Advance printer setup was only finding the printer if I pre-installed it on a pc that had sharing enabled.  I did not want to leave one of my laptops hooked up to this printer to be able to print. 

Problem solved thanks. 

• Marked as answer by ackergre Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:49 AM

All replies

• This is the Windws 8 Virtualization forum - your issue appears related to drivers or devices.  You will be better served asking your question in a proper forum.

Possibly here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/hardware

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure the Printer Spooler service is running and status is set to Automatic startup.

Also, please also test if you give everyone Full Control for this Printer on the remote computer.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:42 AM
  • I got it working. I had to install it using the old control panel and devices.  Advance printer setup was only finding the printer if I pre-installed it on a pc that had sharing enabled.  I did not want to leave one of my laptops hooked up to this printer to be able to print. 

Problem solved thanks. 

• Marked as answer by ackergre Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Go to printer manufacturer website, download the correct drivers for windows 8 and install it.

Or you can Google correct drivers for windows 8 and install it on your computer.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:44 AM
  •  Cannon (my printer)(MP600)  has no drivers for some printers with Windows 8 Pro, It already has most of them.

If A printer is already INSTALLED BUT NOT WORKING, Delete IT FROM PRINTERS displayed. Then add printer. It worked for me.

Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:10 PM
  • Windows 8 Pro requires no drivers for Cannon MP600. It has most drivers for most printers. However my Cannon printer (showing) would not install, even with sharing enabled. I Uninstalled it and re-detected it and it worked.

Note: Cannon had no drivers for Windows 8. (Not required)

• Proposed as answer by JimPoul Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:19 PM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:15 PM
  • Warning...Do not install "Printer Driver or any number of Driver detect or install" Programs. They are JUNK Ware. Which is what you will find by Goggling it.
    • Proposed as answer by JimPoul Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:20 PM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:17 PM
  • Ensure "Printer Sharing" is on for all computers on the network.
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:22 PM