none
Moving data from XP to Win7 Pro

Question

• Is there Windows Easy Transfer in XP Pro?   If not any suggestions on an easy way to transfer files other than copy to a external drive (DVD CD or Flash) and then copy and pasting them in the new machine?  

Thanks, Hank 
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hank, Windows 7 contains the 'windows Easy Transfer' tool.  It is found in the start menu, under Accesories -> System Tools.

Your pursuit is for an 'easy way', but it must be said that the 'easy way' is not necessarily the 'best way'.  The Windows Easy Transfer Tool is not foolproof or 100% effective.  It will transfer data stored by using Windows and/or stored in the system created user data folders, but won't necessarily transfer data stored automatically by your installed programs in accordance with the preference settings configured within those programs.

MS Outlook data is a good example.  WET does not necessarily backup/restore your Outlook data which is held in the .pst file.   The data stored within many of your other programs may well also be rendered at risk.

It is probably best to identify the critical data on your system, and ensure that backup/restore for it is conducted as a dedicated procedure, even if doing so is less 'easy' and convenient.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:03 AM
  • Here is the detailed step for using Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files from Windows XP to Windows 7.

Note: applications will not be transfered.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Hi Friend,

Last time, I was searching a brilliant utility for moving Windows XP backup data in windows 7 then I got it BKF File Recovery Software which recover BKF data and from old version of  Windows XP and restore in newest windows 7 operating system.  My backup data had been destroyed completely of WinXP in NTbackup restore utility and that time I did not know about any backup recovery program but subsequently, I obtained such magic tool. Through this I retrieved my whole damage BKF data once again in original format without missing any single file content property. If you are suffering also such condition so according to my suggestion, you should use BKF file recovery software for restoration old backup data in new windows 7 OS without generating any complication.

Thanks & Best Regards

James Simon

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:21 AM