Features and configuration options removed in Windows 8

General discussion

•  Start Menu has been removed. Here's how the Start Menu was superior to the Start Screen:
    - No full-screen requirement, it doesn't disturb your workflow and gets out of the way quickly
    - Had quick access to shutdown commands
    - Special folders 1 click away and expandable
    - Expandable Recent documents
    - Start Menu jump lists for pinning documents associated with that program
    - Frequently used programs list
    - Neatly organized All Programs list by folders
    - Does not cover the Taskbar and the notification area
    - Search results are in a single unified list of Programs, Files and Settings for easy up/down keyboard navigation but still neatly categorized
    - Context menu options of our choice not present in Start screen. Whatever limited context menu actions Start Screen has are at the bottom of the screen which means more movement between the tile and the bottom actions
    - No context menu options available at all for settings and files on the Start screen
    - Launch multiple apps quickly by holding down Shift (Classic Start Menu of 9x and Classic Shell has this feature)
    - Less items fit on the screen at a time due to the large size which means more scrolling unnecessarily for keyboard and mouse users
    - The hot corner has poor discoverability

●  Built-in (Microsoft provided) DVD playback in Windows Media Player will not be available on the Windows 8 platform even with addition of the Media Center Pack
    ●  Device Manager no longer shows Non-Plug and Play Drivers/hidden devices. The "Devmgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices=1' environment variable has no effect.
     Applications can no longer programmatically configure, change or query file associations or set themselves during installation as the default for a file type or protocol!
     Explorer metadata/property handler for media files is removed which means the Details pane won't show those nice properties
     Many commands are missing on the Ribbon which were there on Explorer command bar like Compatibility Files, View Remote Printers etc and others for special folders and namespace extensions. They just forgot to add these to these commands!
     Reduced productivity: The menu bar in Windows Explorer has been removed and replaced with the unproductive Ribbon interface. Keyboard usability of the Ribbon is poor because in a menu, the first letter of any menu command or Alt+keyboard combination key is easier to read sequentially as it is placed in a row either horizontally or vertically. Mouse usability of the Ribbon and discoverability of commands is also poor, because unlike in a menu, where you can switch from one menu to another without clicking again, the Ribbon tabs do not activate unless you click again. The File menu also showed context menu commands but the File button on the Ribbon does not show these. Commands in the menu can be static (always available) irrespective of the location you are at in Explorer or they can be contextual like the File menu. In contrast, commands on the Ribbon are all contextual meaning you have to navigate to a certain location to use that Ribbon command.
     The ability to boot directly to the desktop and not load the Metro components in memory is not there. Items in various startup locations (Registry, startup folder etc) are all loaded with a delay of few seconds with no way to load them instantly.
     The Lock screen is the place where you can now display custom background instead of the Logon screen, but unlike the Logon screen, there seems to be no way to programmatically change or cycle through a group of images for the Lock screen background. It must be set manually by the user from PC settings on the Start screen.
     The "Unblock" button previously available on the file properties dialog for unblocking downloaded files (removing the NTFS Alternate Data Stream from the downloaded file) has been removed.
     Running Internet Explorer purely in 64-bit mode is not possible unless Enhanced Protected Mode is enabled which disables all addons. Otherwise, 64-bit IE10 opens 32-bit tabs.
     Search option to use natural language search has been removed.
     Mouse control panel option to allow or disallow themes to change mouse pointers is removed from the GUI.
     File operations like Rename, Delete can no longer be undone for UAC-protected locations
     Security Essentials settings for configuring default actions or real-time protection have been removed. (Security Essentials is now built-in as Windows Defender)
     In a dual boot scenario, the ability to directly boot into another OS besides Windows 8 is slowed down because the new Windows 8 boot shell/loader reboots to load the other operating system
     Windows Update settings for showing notifications and allowing all users to install updates have been removed. Windows Update no longer notifies with a balloon notification that there are new updates available.
     Sound events for 'Exit Windows', 'Windows Logon' and 'Windows Logoff' are removed
     People Near Me P2P API is removed
     WinHelp has been completely discontinued. No download will be available.
     MSConfig's Startup tab has been killed and replaced by the Task Manager's Startup tab that doesn't have the 'Location' column which was useful for example to know if the process started from HKCU or HKLM.
     Previous Versions for Shadow Copies is removed. The half-baked replacement is the File History feature which is only for certain file types (documents, music, videos and pictures) in Libraries, desktop and browser favorites. Previous Versions worked for any generic file type in any folder. File History does not even support EFS-encrypted files! File History is supposed to replace both "Previous Versions for Shadow Copies" as well as "Windows Backup and Restore" and it doesn't do 100% of either of the features it "replaces".
     Advanced Appearance settings which let you adjust colors, sizes and fonts are removed
     Explorer copy engine issue: Folder conflict prompt when merging/overwriting folders is removed. Explorer silently merges subfolders in a copy operation, you cannot choose entire subfolders to skip or overwrite
     Explorer status bar removes the ability to show important details. It is now a private undocumented control (DirectUI) so it also doesn't allow Explorer addons like Classic Shell to show information like free disk space, total size of items without selection, computer zone, infotip information as it could on a standard status bar control.
     Explorer: Ability to enable both Details pane and Preview pane simultaneously in Explorer for display of file metadata as well as preview, or, Details pane to be always shown and only the Preview pane toggled is gone
     Flip 3D is gone
     Chkdsk when run at startup does not display any information about file system repairs besides % complete. The screen with scanning and correction details is gone when Chkdsk runs at startup and replaced by just a % complete.
     Pen and Touch Input Desktop features no longer included. Some buttons ('num', 'sym' and 'web) are removed from the Handwriting input panel and UI changes to it require more clicks for example to switch from handwriting to keyboard, or access the editing commands (join, split, delete). It is now touch-friendly but no longer stylus-friendly.
     Network Map feature and some network profile management UI from Network and Sharing Center is missing
     Memory addresses and other technical information has been removed from the Windows 8 bug check screen (BSOD)
     The new Task Manager is missing many features of the old one. (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/88256a99-19dd-4ab8-a4f6-90c46b13c10c)
     View Available Networks (VAN) UI has been crippled with access to the most important dialog: the Network's Status removed. The VAN UI now covers the notification area icons unnecessarily and the Metro look is out of place on the Aero desktop
    ●  The AutoPlay dialog removes the option to always open a particular program based on the file type
     The Open With dialog breaks the NoInternetOpenWith and NoFileAssociate Group Policies and browsing for a program with the redesigned Open With dialog requires three clicks instead of just one.
     The Windows Error Reporting dialog for reporting/debugging crashes does not save the state of "View details"
      Wireless NICs no longer have in-box drivers for hosted/virtual Wi-Fi whose virtual adapter used to be automatically enabled on Windows 7
     Windows CardSpace is not installed even after installing .NET 3.0/3.5
     The keyboard shortcut for Windows Mobility Center has been removed. Previously, Win+X brought it up, now it brings up the power user context menu.
     Desktop games (no word on whether they will be included or dropped in favor of Metro-style games):
      •  Chess Titans
      •  FreeCell
      •  Hearts
      •  Solitaire
      •  Spider Solitaire
      •  Minesweeper
      •  Mahjong Titans
      •  Purble Place
     Windows DVD Maker is removed
     Windows Briefcase
     Windows Gadget Platform is intact but no gadgets to download as the online Gadget Gallery was killed for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users as well.
     Some remoting apps that use mirror drivers or some features of mirror drivers for remoting scenarios, accessibility, or desktop duplication may no longer be supported due to the changes required to be made to Desktop Window Manager.
     Some Audio Compression Manager (ACM) components are broken resulting in ACM-based apps being unable to do format conversion.

Deprecated but not yet removed:

Windows Backup and Restore is deprecated. Although the feature is still intact, shell integration of Backup features is removed.
     The command line tools, DiskPart.exe, DiskRAID.exe, and the Disk Management GUI are being deprecated and replaced by the WMIv2-based Windows Storage Management API with the Storage PowerShell command line utility. Dynamic Disks are being deprecated as part of this transition. (GUI for Disk Management deprecated and replaced by command line? - way to go!)
     Subsystem for UNIX-based applications is deprecated
     Some Transactional NTFS (TxF) APIs like savepoints, secondary RM, miniversion and roll forward

PLEASE DOCUMENT THESE SOMEWHERE. What else is removed? What else is silently gone that Windows 7 had and user is not informed????? Anyone notice random features and options missing from Control Panels and Windows components?

Can someone pin this topic please? I need a complete list from Microsoft, not something I have to buy RTM and discover missing features.

If only Microsoft built Windows 8 as Windows 7 + value added OS, it would have been perfect. Limiting choice, removing options and forcing their choice on us (what they call "simplifying") is Microsoft's goal with this release.

There are a few things like XPDM (XP Driver Model) etc removed but I am going to selectively list items which I consider regressions or a step back. Removal of XPDM is a good thing IMHO. Any thing you notice gone causing a regression/reduction in functionality, please report :)

The only way MS is ever likely to listen is if you show with your pockets.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:40 PM

All replies

• Of the top of my head, some fairly important ones that you haven't mentioned:

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:21 PM removed desktop window metrics entry as I see xpclient did mention it
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Ok great I will add them to the list. Keep them coming as and when you discover them, always welcome. Microsoft no longer understands backward compatibility of their own OS or that users need whatever settings are there, no need to further reduce these settings. Still it depends on Microsoft, if they don't take it seriously and don't fix it, I am not sure how Windows 8 is going to fare. Though I don't think UAC should be disabled under any circumstances on Vista and later, so loss of that feature is not important enough IMHO. :) Disabling UAC also disables file and registry virtualization and IE protected mode etc. Not recommended.
    • Edited by xpclient Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:31 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Careful...  ;)  You didn't call it the "Features and Configuration Options I Think Are Important that are Removed In Windows 8" thread!  :)

In this day and age of computers becoming capable of doing more processing, downloading faster, and storing more data, one has to wonder why they would want to pare things down...  But every bit of additional complexity certainly costs time and effort in maintenance and further software development no doubt costs dearly.  I can imagine maybe an executive somewhere heard the following once too often...  We can't reasonably do that before the next release, it's just too complex and maintenance of that code has become too difficult to add any new features.

The Marketing people have been laying the seeds for a while now (recall the "Windows made simpler" motif of the Windows 7 commercials).

-Noel

In development:

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:47 PM
  • " Mouse control panel option to allow or disallow themes to change mouse pointers is removed."

Is this what you mean?

Control panel\ Ease of access centre\ Make the mouse easier to use

Shows a selection of white/ black and large/ small mouse pointers and some other selections.

ADDED

Mouse settings (at bottom) gives mouse properties

• Edited by d r h Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:52 PM
  • @Noel C, agreed but customer demand for a feature or setting, especially in the enterprise, far always exceeds these engineering tradeoffs so I don't think they try enough to retain a feature or setting, they just yank it (look at the regressions in a core program like Explorer which Classic Shell fixes). This has been a major issue since Vista. Most of the enterprise is still on XP, remember. They want maximum configurability and retention of features. I don't think you should defend these random removals or they will do it even more. We already know that many decisions today at Microsoft are entirely (and wrongly) taken on telemetry alone. Less usage, cut the feature. Then why did they plan and develop that feature in the first place and get users hooked on to it?

• Edited by xpclient Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:19 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:02 PM
  • " Mouse control panel option to allow or disallow themes to change mouse pointers is removed."

Is this what you mean?

Shows a selection of white/ black and large/ small mouse pointers and some other selections.

ADDED

I meant the Mouse Control Panel (main.cpl), not Ease of Access Center. It had a setting in Windows 7 called "Allow themes to change mouse pointers".

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:18 PM
  • Oh, hey, I'm not defending any of the removals.  As far as I'm concerned every new system should get more feature-rich and powerful, and at least provide migration paths to new functionality rather than just cutting off support cold turkey.

But that doesn't keep us from trying to understand why they do it.  I've been in enough big software development organizations to see the signs of too much short term development on a code base whose life is being extended yet again.  Who knows, maybe this is the whole impetus behind Metro.  In which future version will they be dropping desktop support and compatibility with old software entirely?

I hadn't noticed the "Previous Versions" feature removal until seeing your list above, by the way.  That's kind of a head-scratcher, because once you've set up a good backup regimen it can be really nice.  But maybe the "unwashed masses" of users almost never set up backup anyway, so they figured why bother?

We already know that many decisions today at Microsoft are entirely (and wrongly) taken on telemetry alone.

Hear hear!  You and I really do think a lot alike.

-Noel

In development:

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:21 PM
  • The "Unblock" command button previously available for downloaded files on the file properties dialog has been removed.

Per Salmi, Software Developer .NET Technologies PerSalmi.NET

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:44 PM
  • The "Unblock" command button previously available for downloaded files on the file properties dialog has been removed.

I think that's because Windows 8 has switched from adding Alternate Data Streams in internet downloaded files to the much better approach -  SmartScreen. :) So Unblock command is no longer required. There is still the "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments" so Unblock command is not required.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Well, how do I remove the block from a downloaded zip archive without removing the alternate stream stuff manually? I have downloaded a few CHM help files and Zip files with binary files, dlls and exes that I can not use without removing the Zone.Identifier stuff in the stream. This was files downloaded with IE10 i desktop mode, for MSIs and EXEs I get a popup warning me about safety and I can then select to run them anyway but I can not find any other way than to hack the alternate stream to make ZIP and CHM stuff work.

IE10 still adds Zone info to the alternate stream.

• Edited by Per Salmi Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:13 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Maybe the Windows 8 Server beta would be better.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/hh872748?prod=zWSz&tech=zCLz&type=zpagez

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Thanks for that link, d r h.  The "Server with a GUI" option does sound interesting, and I've been itching to have a look at ReFS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831786.aspx

Seems a bit rinkydink that they require the installation of the Akamai downloader to actually get a copy, though.  They mention the "web browser download method" as an alternative but don't actually provide a link for same.  Perhaps the web pages are still being worked on.

-Noel

In development:

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:58 AM
  • xpclient:

Add to the list depreciations in certain aspects of HTA applications (mshta.exe host).

Right now all I'm sure of is the gradient background function doesn't work with RGB numerics (80DDFF) OR html color names.

<body STYLE="font:2 pt comic sans ms; color:black;
     filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient
    (GradientType=0, StartColorStr='#80dfff', EndColorStr='#00bfff')">

I've got dozens of things to try, so I'll add to this segment of the list over the next few days.

DAS

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:33 AM
  • Sorry about that.  I hit the wrong button when attempting to reply.

-Noel

In development:

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:46 AM
  • On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 01:58:35 +0000, Noel Carboni wrote:

Seems a?bit rinkydink that they require the installation of the Akamai downloader to actually get a copy, though.

The Akami download method is much, much faster than the normal Microsoft
    File Transfer Manager.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Conversational mode: Describes the typical office the day after a major
    sporting event.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:38 AM
  • xpclient:

-Windows Update needs to be on Automatic for Windows Defender (i.e. MSE) to update itself automatically. MSE on Win7 doesn't have this requirement since it has no ties to the state of WU for signature updates.

-Previous Versions was enabled by default and wasn't opt-in like File History, which gives it a leg-up from the get-go. It also didn't require external/network storage space. File History may have some advantages, but overall it may be a step down.

-Unified search results: In Win7, there was one place that you could go (don't recall what the button was called) where you could see search results for apps, settings, and files in one view without the need to toggle between them or first think about which one you should visit for the best results.

-You could actually expand upon your first item (oh, that's what it was called, right) to include all the things lost without it, like a little thing called Recent Documents.

What is the logic in deprecating Windows Backup, exactly?  It took me a long time to even find it due to the spectacularly stupid name. Are they really suggesting that File History is going to do it?  Does Time Machine serve that entire function on the Mac (i.e. does the Mac not have a formal backup program)?

I wonder just how unfinished this CP release is. A lot of the things in this thread might be explained by it being less far along than widely believed.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:51 AM
  • The Akami download method is much, much faster than the normal Microsoft File Transfer Manager.

I'm curious why you would say that...  Does it run badly on your system?  The Windows 8 CP download went just as fast for me without Akamai, saturating my 20 megabit fiber connection.  Both took about 20 minutes.

xpclient, I did think of another thing for your list:

• Windows Update / the Action Center have stopped notifying on the desktop when updates are available.

-Noel

In development:

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:17 AM
  • On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 05:17:40 +0000, Noel Carboni wrote:

I'm curious why you would say that...? Does it run badly on your system?? The Windows 8 CP download went just as fast for me without Akamai, saturating my 20 megabit fiber connection.

<http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/79959>

Your screen shot is not showing the Microsoft FTM. The FTM is used if you
    download from the TechNet or MSDN subscriber site.

Paul Adare
    RAM: A male sheep.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Ah, I misunderstood; thanks for clearing that up.  I suppose it was the "web page download method" mentioned (but not actually provided) as an alternate on the Win8 Server Beta page that led me to believe it could be handled in the same way as the Win8 CP, and I just associated that with what you said.  I didn't realize there was yet another complicated way to do something that's normally very direct and simple - download a file.

-Noel

In development:

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:32 AM
  • Well, how do I remove the block from a downloaded zip archive without removing the alternate stream stuff manually? I have downloaded a few CHM help files and Zip files with binary files, dlls and exes that I can not use without removing the Zone.Identifier stuff in the stream. This was files downloaded with IE10 i desktop mode, for MSIs and EXEs I get a popup warning me about safety and I can then select to run them anyway but I can not find any other way than to hack the alternate stream to make ZIP and CHM stuff work.

IE10 still adds Zone info to the alternate stream.

It does maybe. I always have the Do not add zone information policy enabled so I don't know. For bulk removing the ADS streams, you can try Streams.exe from SysInternals (http://thewayeye.net/2012/march/2/bulk-removing-zoneidentifier-alternate-data-streams-downloaded-windows-files) or if you are familiar with PowerShell (http://rkeithhill.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/powershell-v3-betabetter-ntfs-alternate-data-stream-handling/)
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:39 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:31 AM
  • -Unified search results: In Win7, there was one place that you could go (don't recall what the button was called) where you could see search results for apps, settings, and files in one view without the need to toggle between them or first think about which one you should visit for the best results.

-You could actually expand upon your first item (oh, that's what it was called, right) to include all the things lost without it, like a little thing called Recent Documents.

What is the logic in deprecating Windows Backup, exactly?  It took me a long time to even find it due to the spectacularly stupid name. Are they really suggesting that File History is going to do it?  Does Time Machine serve that entire function on the Mac (i.e. does the Mac not have a formal backup program)?

I wonder just how unfinished this CP release is. A lot of the things in this thread might be explained by it being less far along than widely believed.

I think mentioning "Start Menu" pretty much covers all of the regressions brought along with its removal like unified search results and Recent Items etc.

I agree it's completely wrong to deprecate Windows Backup just because of low usage and recommend File History as a replacement but that's what they are doing! (Read this document: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27416)

We know that next milestone is RC as announced by Microsoft so it's pretty much done now. RC may include stuff not included here like Games etc but with the amount of random feature cutting they are doing, anything is possible.

@Noel Carboni, please stay on topic and don't take the discussion offtopic.

Anyone is always welcome to submit more removed features.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:38 AM
  • @Noel Carboni, please stay on topic and don't take the discussion offtopic.

I did note an additional missing function I saw re: Windows Update / Action Center notifications above.  Did you pick it up?

I think mentioning "Start Menu" pretty much covers all of the regressions brought along with its removal like unified search results and Recent Items etc.

You name all the silly little games (by the way, I think it's "Purble", not "Purple").  I think you should explicitly name the Start Menu functionalities that are missing.

-Noel

In development:

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Wow. After browsing through here yesterday, I woke up this morning wondering if Apple could sell OS X to PC users without selling them Mac computers. This would put a serious crimp in Microsoft sales.

In Mac Pro now with Lion and W 7 Pro 64 + W 8 CP in Bootcamp, I upgraded to Lion 2011-07-21 for $34.60 CAD. If there is enough worthwhile new and improved software in it, I may upgrade to Mountain Lion in June or so, using an iTunes card.

In the mean time, in between time, watching this long drawn out Windows DP, CP upgrade cycle, wondering, maybe doubting whether it will be worth ~8 OS X updates. For the normal Home PC user, there is little improvement over Windows 7 especially for someone who has no wish to be touching a screen all the time.

Maybe I'll save up my iTunes cards and buy an iPad 4 when there should be an improved Siri interface included.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:12 PM
  • You name all the silly little games.

Why are the games silly? New games like Angry Birds and the Metro variant are Solitaire are there, old games become silly?
    Friday, March 16, 2012 1:20 AM
  • OK, so would you say the games are important, serious work-enhancing productivity tools, then?  :)

Actually, since the Metro games can only run full screen (I presume), I guess they would be silly BIG games.  :D

-Noel

In development:

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:11 AM
  • This is the Consumer Preview, not just a Techie toolkit. The games, whether you play them or not, are a part of Windows that is now missing.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 10:33 AM
  • The ability to completely deconfigure UAC and run with administrator privileges full time has been removed.

Dear Noel, what did you mean by this ability? The command that's been available in msconfig (there has been a registry patch that tweaked the UAC bit in registry)?

I am asking because you obviously still have the %systemroot%\System32\UserAccountControlSettings.exe that allows for turning UAC off. Or am I missing something?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Yes, you're missing the fact that if you drag the slider all the way to the bottom UAC is still enabled, it's just set to the "I'll answer yes every time anyway so don't bother asking" level.  But make no mistake, you're running without administrator privileges, and in practice that causes a number of things to become slightly more difficult, and some things (e.g., older apps) to become incompatible without serious permissions changes that have the effect of disabling UAC's effectiveness anyway.

Yes, the registry tweak is still available, but since it's not supported by the user configuration setting there will be (already are) things that just won't work with it set that way, and sooner or later Microsoft will feel comfortable with making all the system ignore it entirely.

Running with UAC disabled is not appropriate for everyone, but for those who need it - and there are legitimate reasons for needing it disabled - its removal represents a loss of windows functionality and compatibility.

-Noel

In development:

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Btw about those Windows Update balloon notifications - the notice that updates are available is now shown on the Logon screen. Don't know why MS thought the Welcome screen would be a good idea to show that. I set Windows to always Auto logon so chances are I will never see the notification that updates are available. Telemetry again for the decision: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/11/14/minimizing-restarts-after-automatic-updating-in-windows-update.aspx: "90% of the total user base telling us to automatically install updates without showing any notifications, or asking for confirmation." :( I am in the Notify Me before Download category and therefore choice gets taken away from us to get notified.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 4:42 PM
  • On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:42:06 +0000, xpclient wrote:

"90% of the total user base telling us to automatically install updates without showing any notifications, or asking for confirmation." :( I am in the Notify Me before Download category and therefore choice gets taken away from us to get notified

What choice exactly has been taken away from you? You still have the option
    to notify before download and download but notify before install. If
    you're referring to the fact that the notification has been moved to the
    login screen, then you're just going to have to accept the fact that
    autologin is also an edge case.

Paul Adare
    To err is human; to really foul things up requires a computer.

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:06 PM
  • What choice exactly has been taken away from you? You still have the option
    to notify before download and download but notify before install

Not if you want your Windows Defender definitions to update automatically.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Even if I don't set it to Auto login, Windows Update can only come to know that there are updates available when it connects to the internet. So by the time I type my password, it has to check for updates and notify on the Welcome screen that they are available. Otherwise, I will log on to the system and then never even bother to look at the Welcome screen. When I am done, I will hibernate or sleep. Again, I set the setting to not prompt for password when resuming from hibernate/sleep. Do you think that is also an edge case? Point is, logon screen is something I rarely see, so moving the notification from the tray to the logon screen is making it too silent. It essentially means I have to check for updates once in a while manually by starting Windows Update or lock the PC to see the Welcome screen notification. So the place where it notifies is something I never see except when logging in first from a cold reboot or shutdown. Those who never wanted to see any notifications could simply turn this setting off here in Windows 7: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/6259994a-80e9-4e2c-9fa8-4df6b614d641 It was off by default in fact.
    • Edited by xpclient Friday, March 16, 2012 5:25 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 5:17 PM
    to notify before download and download but notify before install. If
    you're referring to the fact that the notification has been moved to the
    login screen, then you're just going to have to accept the fact that
    autologin is also an edge case.

Paul, there's another case you're apparently missing...

As an example, besides configuring auto-login, I leave my systems on 24/7 as I always have work for them to do, and I prefer not to lock the screens because they're in a secure location.  Thus when I need to use a system, I move the mouse and the screen comes to life in a couple of seconds, ready to work. 

Even if I'm working in front of the computer virtually all day, it virtually never gets rebooted.  Thus I never see the lock screen.

With Windows 7 I was shown a notification from the Action Center that updates are available, so I could begin to plan when it would be appropriate to apply updates.

With Windows 8 no notification is shown on the Desktop.

Microsoft had to actively take the ability to show such notifications out, where they could have just set the Action Center's setting to default to not notify - which would have "solved" the problem for the lion's share of people, yet left the option open for folks who actually like to plan for computer maintenance.

What I can't wrap my head around are these things:

1.  Why things that are already working well have to be utterly removed, especially when there's already an option for disabling them.  The logical change would be to make the option "off" by default.

2.  Why people can't think outside the small sphere of their own experience and understand that there are legitimate reasons people will miss every piece of removed functionality.  There were valid reasons they put that functionality in in the first place, and for everything that's there, someone's using it!

3.  Why Microsoft can't imagine that while a huge number of people may not be computer geeks and don't use the "fancy" or "advanced" features (per telemetry feedback), there is still a significant number of people who really need computers (not data consumption devices) to do their work.   Not only that, but many serious users deconfigure the "big brother watching" features, either to reduce traffic inside their networks or because they can't tolerate anyone watching what they're doing.

The only answer I can begin to imagine is that Microsoft is being ruthless in removing complexity from under the covers, in order to try to turn Windows back into something that doesn't require 10,000+ engineers to make changes and maintain, and they figure that the lion's share of the non-technical customer base will still want their OS for their tablets and whatnot.   I'm concerned that they're not realizing that if the business community moves on to use another OS that people are going to want their portable devices to work seamlessly in THAT environment.  Could it be that Microsoft is really expecting everyone to just continue to adopt Windows 7 for serious use, and are expecting Windows 8 to be purely frivolous?

-Noel

In development:

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:17 PM
    to notify before download and download but notify before install

Not if you want your Windows Defender definitions to update automatically.

create a task scheduler task and run this every hour:

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:35 PM
    Answerer
  • That task is a good idea for now, for the beta, but there's no way this should be necessary in a shipping product just because you want to think first and run your windows updates later. Microsoft learned this lesson pretty early on with MSE, since it hasn't been tied to WU for a very long time. 
    Friday, March 16, 2012 10:56 PM
  • OK, so would you say the games are important, serious work-enhancing productivity tools, then?  :)

Actually, since the Metro games can only run full screen (I presume), I guess they would be silly BIG games.  :D

-Noel

Are any games, on any system, "important, serious work-enhancing productivity tools"? If so, I'd bet they aren't fun, or popular.

rtk

Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hmph.  I mentioned "silly little games" and was called out.  So I ask if they're "important tools" and someone has something to say about that.

Did anyone notice the actual point I was trying to make?  Hint:  It had almost nothing to do with games.

-Noel

In development:

Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:24 PM
  • xpclient,

for one thing Subsystem for UNIX-based applications has been listed as deprecated since vista.

there is a metro version of Mahjong Titans and solitaire, but the metro versions of them suck compaired to the desktop versions. so i hope they bring the desktop versions back soon.

i have the consumer preview running on three different laptops. the odd thing is that the Windows Briefcase feature is only showing up on one of them.

i see your issue with theAutoplay and Open With dialogs. of course then Microsoft just keeps changing those things around with each new release. the Tweek UI Power Toy was useful for that kind of stuff and more. its too bad they never mad a utility like that for Windows 7. but maybe Microsoft will for Windows 8 since that utility came in use.

and thanks for posting those damned missing features. its nice to see them written down expecially since i do not use them all. when i started using the consumer preview the day it came out it seemed as though the disk clean-up utility was missing, but they just put it in a hard place to find. a.k.a. having it in the properties menu of the hard drive you want to cleanup. they also used to have that utility in the start menu. the also removed the disk defragmenter from the start menu as well. now to get to it you have to go to "disk management". they are making things harder and harder to find and use.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:23 AM
  • I  searched thru your list and this does not appear to be listed:

Password Retrieval Procedure;:

The Password Retrieval Procedure, that was available in'User Accounts' in W7, is not available in W8'.

A search of MS, 'Password Retrieval Procedure Window 8, brings up the procedure for W7. and it does not work I have tried it.

W8 has no procedure for this operation, if there is please advise.

"Computing is great experience, as long as we remember, that it is a machine the requires human input to operate correctly< Bobsan

Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:34 AM
  • The Password Retrieval Procedure, that was available in'User Accounts' in W7, is not available in W8'.

Do you mean the Password Reset Wizard? You can start it using: Rundll32 keymgr.dll,PRShowSaveWizardExW

Or add it to the Control Panel permanently:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{574BC562-3A3F-49f8-9264-A5098E0C1E66}]
    @="Password Reset Wizard"
    "InfoTip"="Insert a removable disk before starting this wizard."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{574BC562-3A3F-49f8-9264-A5098E0C1E66}\DefaultIcon]
    @="netplwiz.dll,6"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{574BC562-3A3F-49f8-9264-A5098E0C1E66}\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{574BC562-3A3F-49f8-9264-A5098E0C1E66}\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{574BC562-3A3F-49f8-9264-A5098E0C1E66}\Shell\Open\Command]
    @="Rundll32 keymgr.dll,PRShowSaveWizardExW"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{574BC562-3A3F-49f8-9264-A5098E0C1E66}]
    @="Password Reset Wizard"
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:47 AM

• Thank You xpclient,

For your response, yes it is what I was referring to, my question is now;

I have created a Password Reset Device (USB)

In W7, if you forgot password, you start up your PC and when you come to the logon screen (remember I have lost /forgot my password) so password text box is left blank, user clicks ‘OK, and the follows the directions
    given.
    By adding the procedure as you have advised does this add the option (blank logon box, clicking ‘OK’ the follow directions.) to the W8, logon screen. This option is currently not available in W8.

I hope you understand the intent of my question, I am trying to get the procedure correct in response to question in another forum.
    If applying the fix, does not add the option to the logon screen, the fix does not solve the whole problem.

I feel this is a feature that needs to be reinstated in W8.

"Computing is great experience, as long as we remember, that it is a machine the requires human input to operate correctly< Bobsan

• Edited by Shilohbob Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:53 AM
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:40 AM
  • By adding the procedure as you have advised does this add the option (blank logon box, clicking ‘OK’ the follow directions.) to the W8, logon screen. This option is currently not available in W8.

The option to reset the password isn't available on the logon screen if you are using a Live ID to logon. Are you using a Live ID to sign in to Windows 8? Then if you forget your password, you need to account.live.com and follow the Forgot Your password procedure. Or from the Metro style Control Panel (called PC Settings), go to the User section and you will see an option to "Switch to a local user account". Once you do that, create the password reset disk again and you will get a prompt on the Logon screen to reset the password when you enter an incorrect one once first.
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Thanks again, exclient.

That clarifies the matter I will direct the question in the other forum to this thread.

Just had to be aware of the different procedure.

Advice appreciated

Shilohbob

Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:21 PM
  • OK, the update:

The missing gradient filter is actually a part of the "tools" provided by Internet Explorer, and is either missing or renamed in IE10.

The distinction to be made is IE vs MSHTA.  I think.  Either way (missing from IE or MSHTA) the gradient filter is gone.

Otherwise, my HTA's and the massive amounts of VBS code behind them all (so far) seem to work well under Win8.

I'll be trying more tools I've written, but the size and scope of the one that passed all tests seems to indicate they forgot to cripple this subsystem.

:)

DAS

Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Well, if Lucy didn't hold the football, Linus wouldn't try to kick it, therefore robbing Lucy of her sinister satisfaction.

I don't consider MS necessarily sinister, but you get my drift!

Monday, March 19, 2012 12:57 AM
  • Well, if Lucy didn't hold the football, Linus wouldn't try to kick it, therefore robbing Lucy of her sinister satisfaction.

I don't consider MS necessarily sinister, but you get my drift!

FYI, it was Charlie Brown who was always trying to kick the football, not Linus. Now Hudechrome, mark this post as helpfull since i just taught you something...
    Monday, March 19, 2012 1:09 AM
  • LOL! You are right so I marked it!

BTW, it's Charlie Brown, not Briwn.

Turnabout is fair play, No?

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:18 AM
  • LOL! You are right so I marked it!

BTW, it's Charlie Brown, not Briwn.

Turnabout is fair play, No?

i fixed the spelling error in my post. happy. and for pointing it out, i'll mark your post as helpful....lmao
    Monday, March 19, 2012 1:35 AM
  • It is missing to possibility  install updates and shot down computer. In task manager does not show virtual memory size.
    Monday, March 19, 2012 11:20 AM
  • shot down computer.

Mark this as abusive, if you could keep from smiling.

-Noel

In development:

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:46 PM
  • shot down computer.

-Noel

In development:

ok, will do. but only because i find Charlie Bown missing the foot ball over Snoopy more. sorry. strike one for you. now vote me as helpful....
    Monday, March 19, 2012 2:59 PM
  • shot down computer.

-Noel

In development:

P.S. what subtopic do you want me to select when i mark your post as abuse? lol
    Monday, March 19, 2012 3:02 PM
  • What did I start!  LOL!

I suppose this is also abusive! <G>

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:50 PM
  • What did I start!  LOL!

I suppose this is also abusive! <G>

i don't know, do you?
    Monday, March 19, 2012 7:03 PM
  • I presume xpclient is marking these posts abusive out of some misguided sense of wanting to keep things deadly serious here (correct me if I'm wrong), but whomever is doing it doesn't seem to realize is that any traffic keeps this thread (which is not HIS thread but rather a public discussion) on the first page and seen by all the more eyeballs.

-Noel

In development:

Monday, March 19, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Well, errata. :)

Monday, March 19, 2012 7:26 PM
  • I presume xpclient is marking these posts abusive out of some misguided sense of wanting to keep things deadly serious here (correct me if I'm wrong), but whomever is doing it doesn't seem to realize is that any traffic keeps this thread (which is not HIS thread but rather a public discussion) on the first page and seen by all the more eyeballs.

-Noel

In development:

well, tell xpclient that i am sorry for that. at least 1 of my posts in this thread is not marked as abuse in his opion.
    Monday, March 19, 2012 7:29 PM
  • First of all, thanks for compiling and updating this list. As someone who provides technical support for a range of clients from corporate to small business to individuals, the removal of some of these features and the decision making that it indicates are disturbing, IMO. What MS seems to have lost sight of is that many of these fine tuning controls that are being removed or dumbed down, are needed and used by those that provide support for the so called "average" or "consumer" users.

After all of this time, it's just stunning to me that MS can manage to be so wrapped up in their bubble and so out of touch with the real world of the  *full spectrum* how people are using Windows. They're in reaction mode to Apple and just not thinking clearly for themselves. Or maybe they are and this is just the best they can do. Except then they got it so right with Windows 7. And now this. Oy!

Assuming that Windows 8 is more or less going to ship as we're seeing it, there is simply no way that I would recommend it to ANYONE, except maybe for use on a tablet (and that isn't a sure thing, either). While I might lose income from upgrading clients to Windows 8 in the short term, I'm sure that *downgrading* users with new PCs running Win 8 to Win 7, will more than make up for it ;-).

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:22 AM
  • Worse, they claim they're not unaware of the full spectrum, but (per telemetry) they've decided to remove stuff that only a few tens of millions of people use, because it's not cost effective.

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Worse, they claim they're not unaware of the full spectrum, but (per telemetry) they've decided to remove stuff that only a few tens of millions of people use, because it's not cost effective.

-Noel

In development:

even worse i cannot connect to my schools wireless network anymore because of certain features in Windows 8. If i want to connect to my schools wireless network i either have to use another laptop of mine or boot the computer into HP quickweb. and the notebook i am using Windows 8 with has a very outdated version of HP quickweb. at least its a very usefull. tool.

and why was it a lot easier to configure and manage wireless networks in Windows 7. shouldn't Microsoft have made it a lot easierinstead of making it harder. at least they made the OS 3G and 4G friendly. now if only they would bring some of the older features back that are needed.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:22 PM

Is this what you mean?

ADDED

I meant the Mouse Control Panel (main.cpl), not Ease of Access Center. It had a setting in Windows 7 called "Allow themes to change mouse pointers".

Hi,

I don't know what "Allow themes to change mouse pointers" setting was removed in Windows 8, I liked switching it off.

But.. the Registry key is still there, and It works, you can find it in:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes

You have to change the ThemeChangesMousePointers value to "0" if you don't want Windows themes to change the mouse pointer, or "1" (Wich is the default value and behavior) to allow Windows to change mouse pointers.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:22 PM
  • For a lot of desktop things, registry tweaks still operate the functionality.  But this is bad.  Very bad indeed.

Why?  It shows a trend that configurability of these items will simply no longer be supported by Microsoft.

You can be VERY sure that at some time - possibly even by the time Windows 8 is released, and almost certainly in Windows 9 - the configurability of the functionality even through the registry will simply stop working.

It's all a part of an apparent plan to make using the Desktop less pleasant and rich, to push people away from it - away from computers entirely - presumably to use something else (Metro, though frankly I see more and more folks considering Apple products).

We users like to think simplistically of Apple as Microsoft's "competition", but last I looked there's an awful lot of stock ownership between the two, and they're not really competitors - one sells hardware and one sells software.

-Noel

In development:

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:28 AM
  • I have only been playing with Windows 8 for a couple of days and I am sorry to say that I am not very impressed.  I had trouble with the video driver which caused the system to continuously reboot. During this I discovered that the traditional F8 safe mode is not there and since the video was not working I had to reinstall Windows 8  again to get back to the default Microsoft Video driver as I had no way to force Windows to
    load the basic video driver.

Another concern that I have is that my daughter is disabled and is currently using Windows 7. She controls the mouse with switches mounted in the headrest of her wheel chair and has a switch at each elbow for the left and right mouse clicks.  It seem to me that I lot of Windows 8 depends on keyboard shortcuts.  To use the mouse for example to close a window  (In Metro) you can go to the top of the screen until a hand appears then hold the left button while dragging the window to the bottom of the screen.  If you have only the one app open I could not find another way to close the app. If you have more than one app open you can move the cursor to the top left corner, then drag the cursor down the left side This open a list of ICONS for the open apps allowing you to move the cursor  over the one you  want to close. You can then
    right click on the ICON and select close.  Any windows opened in the desktop still function the same with minimize and close buttons in the top left.

For my daughter the functionality in the Metro screen will be unusable or extremely difficult at best so for here the system will have to be in the Desktop mode all the time.   Disapointing since I have been using PCs for over 32 years and I am now currently seriously considering moving to a Mac.

Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:12 AM
  • I discovered that the traditional F8 safe mode is not there

Microsoft can, of course, do anything they want to do with the software, but reasonable engineering would avoid just throwing away perfectly functional features because a manager's imagination is getting the best of him.

Each new feature implemented implies a certain need for future continuity. 

People invest time, effort, and money in learning things, and Microsoft needs to accept some responsibility to minimize the cost of UNlearning them and RElearning new ways to do the same things!

A policy of deprecating things gently - e.g., giving users a one version option to keep the functionality, along with warnings that it's going away, would be reasonable.  This "carve any code out that's not applicable to tablets" seems just boneheaded.  Doesn't selling hundreds of millions of copies of Windows 8 to people who already have actual computers appeal to Microsoft at all?

-Noel

In development:

• Edited by Noel Carboni Sunday, April 01, 2012 2:45 AM corrected typo
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 2:45 AM

damn Microsoft for that.
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 3:01 AM

F8 is replaced by (gasp) Shift+F8 because someone at MS thought "let's make this key undiscoverable and hard to press at the critical stage where you can miss hitting it and the OS boots straightaway". This is a perfect example of the usability folks not getting it at all.
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Have you ever actually gotten Shift F8 to work at all?

I just rebooted my Windows 8 CP VM a half dozen times and at no point did pressing or holding Shift F8 cause anything interesting to happen.  I'm not unwilling to believe this might be something one can only do on real hardware, though I'm easily able to press F8 on a Windows 7 VM and get the Advanced Boot Menu.

-Noel

In development:

Sunday, April 01, 2012 3:24 AM

F8 is replaced by (gasp) Shift+F8 because someone at MS thought "let's make this key undiscoverable and hard to press at the critical stage where you can miss hitting it and the OS boots straightaway". This is a perfect example of the usability folks not getting it at all.
    at least its "still there" and is still usable....lol now for them to put it back at the traditional "F8" instead of the new "Shift+F8"...
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 3:24 AM
  • Have you ever actually gotten Shift F8 to work at all?

I just rebooted my Windows 8 CP VM a half dozen times and at no point did pressing or holding Shift F8 cause anything interesting to happen.  I'm not unwilling to believe this might be something one can only do on real hardware, though I'm easily able to press F8 on a Windows 7 VM and get the Advanced Boot Menu.

-Noel

In development:

i have never went into that menu in Windows 8 unless the OS crashed. of course then if it did the OS just went into the Menu all by itself. so i never tried it. but who knows, it might not be available in a VM. but who cares as long as it works on a main machine in the real world, but hopefully they will put it back to the traditional "F8" key instead of the new key combination....
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Updated the list. The new additions include programs no longer being to associate with file types!!!,  Explorer metadata for media files no longer shown in Details pane of Explorer, and many commands missing on the Ribbon.
    Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Mirror drivers for accessibility, remoting scenarios or desktop duplication are no longer supported

Wow, that's going to throw a monkey wrench into the collaboration I do where I share my screen.  I hadn't tried that aspect of it yet.

All I can say about that is $@&%#$$@%*&!  !!

EDIT:

Where did you get this information?  I ask because it may be flawed.

I just successfully installed RAdmin onto my Windows 8 CP VM and can access the screen remotely.  Note the presence of the Mirror Driver here:

What I don't see a way to get to via RAdmin is the Start screen.  Awww...  It just stays on the desktop.  Darn!!  :)

-Noel

In development:

Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:35 PM
  • I got the info here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848042(v=vs.85).aspx, I have updated it to say "some features" as the article says.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Wow. After browsing through here yesterday, I woke up this morning wondering if Apple could sell OS X to PC users without selling them Mac computers. This would put a serious crimp in Microsoft sales.

Agreed.  If a user was able to purchase and install OS-X on any computer similar to Windows and Linux, MSFT would be a really bad bind. 

However, if Apple was to do that, I honestly believe we would not be having these "Windows 8 is bull5hyt" threads.  The Windows OS would be a completely different animal--and probably much better and UI rich.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:03 AM
  • notice only "mirror drivers for accessibility" was removed as in Win32 Accessibility APIs (due to the new Accessibility APIs in Windows 8, which can also address the concern with the disabled daughter - very sorry to hear) nothing preventing third-party apps from installing mirror drivers, if installed they just can't be used with the currect/legacy accessiblity featureset
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:18 AM
  • programs can still associate themselves with certain filetypes however some core service brokers the request for association with a filetype now such that no program can force itself as the sole 'owner' of a file extension to a user ...the first time you click on a file extension you've never clicked before it asks what you'd like to open it with and gives you a list of all apps hat have requested an asspociation upon installation

Msft simply is making developers aware of the fact to not have post-install jobs etc. rely upon file associations because they may not have become active yet... this has huge (positive) security and usability implications as well as slowly beginning weening the windows world off probablistic file extension obsession towards deterministic metadata (i.e. data-level security with xml etc.)

I've not yet found any commands missing from the ribbon hough many are dynamic based on the file selected or folder viewed etc. are you sure they're gone..?

also metadata for media files has been a huge security and performance issue in the past (mp3, jpeg) and is unnecessary when using formats which reveal their data in alternate locations (Msft's media formats) also are you sure their columns just arn't shown by default or an iFilter or association hasn't been initiated or installed yet?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:26 AM
  • to what are you referring?

there isn't a single thing being removed that hasn't been marked as deprecated for 1-2+ major releases and multiple minor/support releases/revisions with the possible arguable exception of the start menu

also if I understand correctly shift + f8 is for UEFI-based systems and f8 still works for current bios systems or systems upgraded in-place though there are known issues with systems using older bios with proprietar support for new uefi protocols or efi-like equivalents and with the small marketshare of systems preceding the UEFI 2.3.1 spec. Windows 8 is built to support, a firmware upgrade prior to installing win 8 should clear most of those up where available

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:31 AM
  • what features..?   mobile broadband support has nothing to do with wireless ethernet implementation
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:32 AM
  • I might be hallucinating but I'm pretty sure that Windows Defender and Windows Update both use the Maitenance Scheduler which is why there appears to be no inclusion in action center because "windows maitenan notications" appear dynamically instead of having a permanent presence

though I see your point of the potential "notify gap" I don't understand the functional scenario it supports; Windows Defender is the only feature of Windows 8 that will receive constant, live updates as all other updates are being relegated to patch Tuesday, the only exceptions being if you allow apps from Windows Store to dynamially update themselves and if drivers are added to windows update for logical devices missing drivers (...and of course out-of-band critical security updates for worm-like remotely-explitable vulnerabilities) if you set your systems to manual or notify only like I do presumably it is because of resource constraints (nolonger an issue in 8) avoidance of restarts (patch tuesday only; option to permanentlyemove unused payloads via powershell) or to kep track of what's being updated and why, which requires manually checking for and viewing details of the individual entries in windows update after manually launching it if you're not content waiting for windows maitenance sceduler to notify you it might be time to update; am I missing something or did you?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:47 AM
  • even before the release of vista is was stated an has been many times snce that the complete disabling of UAC was unsupported and short-term until a certain subset of the utilities that wouldn't function with the supported compatability infrastructure could run, even then it only applied to a handful of classes of 32-bit control panel applets and mmc snapins on 64-bit and some 16-bit code on 32-bit; there's absolutely ZERO reason to be running without Mandatory Integrity Control enabled, in fact by disabling UAC (the usermode UX for WinMIC) you actually DISABLE the backend for the supported compatability infrastructure for Vista, 7 including partial functionality of the right-click compatability tab of executables, filesystem virtualization and registry virtualization . . . permissions have NOTHING to do with MIC/UAC whether network, share, active directory, filesystem or registry; no windows functionality is lost by enabling it and every application and script written with best practices in mind runs fine with the supported compat. infrastructure alone, though a handful of apps dependent upon NTFS functionality being exposes through shellcode in a speciic manner arn't 'caught' but are 'fixed' by manually creating the 'expected' filesystem locations etc.

the unsupported and unsafe workaround for this is of course to use the default-disabled system\full administrator account but this doesn't necessarily help with compatability just severely lowers the overall security of your system and the effectiveness of all usermode portections in windows and every other app for that matter

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Would be curious to know how much of this has changed in the Release Preview.

Specifically, these:

Applications can no longer programmatically configure, change or query file associations or set themselves during installation as the default for a file type or protocol!
     Explorer metadata/property handler for media files is removed which means the Details pane won't show those nice properties
     Many commands are missing on the Ribbon which were there on Explorer command bar like Compatibility Files, View Remote Printers etc and others for special folders and namespace extensions. They just forgot to add these to these commands!

Sunday, June 17, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Explorer property handler is back, although I'll have to check for both 32-bit and 64-bit, the other two not. I will update the list after RTM because I'm depressed and tired due to these removals. I won't update the list for RTM, I don't care about Windows 8. Windows 7 will be my last Windows unless MS changes its course on customization and removing existing features. I don't see it happening any time soon.
    • Edited by xpclient Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:55 PM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:33 PM

Specifically, these:

agreed. however, microsoft did say something about Windows 8 handling file associations differently. i think they said that you had to configure that stuff manually now, which sucks. i had to do that for at least 20 applications. at least you can change the file associations from the control panel (for some applications), or assosiate files with programs when you open an application. because of this and other issues i am going to keep using Windows 7 instead of upgrading to Windows 8.
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:00 PM

Specifically, these:

agreed. however, microsoft did say something about Windows 8 handling file associations differently. i think they said that you had to configure that stuff manually now, which sucks. i had to do that for at least 20 applications. at least you can change the file associations from the control panel (for some applications), or assosiate files with programs when you open an application. because of this and other issues i am going to keep using Windows 7 instead of upgrading to Windows 8.

I have come up with a way to programatically set file associations.  I am testing it, and will post further details soon.

I actually like the new windows 8 way, but I don't like microsoft trying to take the power from the programmers

• Edited by phailyoor Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:00 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 4:59 PM
  • The evil, it calls to me.

I have posted a guide on how to change the default file associations programatically.  It is located on xdadevelopers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29456442

Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:08 PM
  • You wrote:  "As a programmer, I want my power over the computer..."

You do realize that's just what Microsoft doesn't want you to have, right?

At one time it was about making sure the user had power over the computer, but now it's becoming more about Microsoft having that power.  Your job as a programmer is just to write some silly Metro games so that Microsoft can skim a few percent off of sales to millions of users.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:53 PM
  • You wrote:  "As a programmer, I want my power over the computer..."

You do realize that's just what Microsoft doesn't want you to have, right?

At one time it was about making sure the user had power over the computer, but now it's becoming more about Microsoft having that power.  Your job as a programmer is just to write some silly Metro games so that Microsoft can skim a few percent off of sales to millions of users.

That's exactly what I don't want happening.

My principle dictates that my job as a programmer is to do everything I can to prevent such a distopain future from happening.  8 metro is more locked down than OSX.

If all else fails, you'll find me writing code for AOSP or something, or at least using a droid.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:20 AM
  • On topic post:

I think image backup has been completely removed.

Sunday, August 05, 2012 8:06 PM
  • On topic post:

It's easily missed, but look in Control Panel for Windows 7 File Recovery.
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:17 PM
  • On topic post:

Use the freeware Paragon Backup and Recovery. It's better than the "ingenious" ms backup
    Monday, August 06, 2012 8:32 AM
  • Use the freeware Paragon Backup and Recovery. It's better than the "ingenious" ms backup

It used to be that one could point to the "Previous Versions" feature as a reason that's not true (i.e., Windows Backup was better integrated into the system), but now...  Not.  That's actually one of the best reasons for avoiding upgrading a serious desktop system to Windows 8.

-Noel

Monday, August 06, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Windows REMOVED features.

DREAMSCENE (video wallpaper)

Gadgets 

AERO (transparency)

MEDIA CENTER and DVD or Bluray Playback (maybe srs and dolby too)

and dont remember what more at this time...

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Use the freeware Paragon Backup and Recovery. It's better than the "ingenious" ms backup

It used to be that one could point to the "Previous Versions" feature as a reason that's not true (i.e., Windows Backup was better integrated into the system), but now...  Not.  That's actually one of the best reasons for avoiding upgrading a serious desktop system to Windows 8.

-Noel

I refer to the 2012 version of paragon compared with vista system backup.

I my eyes worlds between them, but not to ms's advantage.

• Edited by karlx Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:38 AM
  • If you upgrade and start using Windows 8, in the next version of Windows, you might only be allowed to do 4 tasks: 1. Launch apps  2. Add/Remove. 3. Buy apps from store  4. Shutdown.
    Monday, August 13, 2012 6:10 PM
  • True.  It's morphing before our very eyes into a data consumer's system.

Kind of makes you wonder what system Microsoft intends to use to develop future versions of Windows, doesn't it, along with what is to become of all the "Server" flavors.

-Noel

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:44 PM
  • True.  It's morphing before our very eyes into a data consumer's system.

Kind of makes you wonder what system Microsoft intends to use to develop future versions of Windows, doesn't it, along with what is to become of all the "Server" flavors.

-Noel

I think that this is pretty evident all around.  Microsoft wants Win8 to displace as much of iOS as possible and get some real action in its Windows Marketplace that the company sees as the core of the future earnings of Microsoft.  All the effort has  been centered to make sure that the users are exposed to the Start Screen with the prominent Windows Marketplace tile.  All the code changes to make sure that hacks would not work, the elimination of the Start button (so that one has to go back to the Start Screen), all of that has one and one reason only.  To direct users to the Microsoft "Walled Garden".  If this works out, then Win32 "legacy" support would be even yanked out from Win9.  It is all well explained in the following article:

http://betanews.com/2012/08/13/windows-8-will-be-microsofts-new-cash-cow/

I am bemused that users still refuse to understand what is going on.  I think that Microsoft executives are smirking with these bemused fanboys who complain that all the "whining" about Win8 is "resistance to change". If they can unleash an army of these drones, they surely will.  These users are ready to brick themselves into Microsoft's "Garden of Metro Delights".  Then, they will be scratching their heads about what happened to that "change".

Monday, August 13, 2012 11:58 PM
  • I'm proud to say I'm resistant to change - for the worse!  :-)

-Noel

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:31 PM
  • I'm proud to say I'm resistant to change - for the worse!  :-)

-Noel

I think that the "change" fanboys have not caught on to this notion: that some change is for the worse.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:11 PM
  • "Device Manager no longer shows Non-Plug and Play Drivers/hidden devices. The "Devmgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices=1' environment variable has no effect."

Genuinely concerned about this.

I've used devmgr_show_nonpresent devices to fix countless issues on countless machines since windows 2000 was released. I didn't have cause to look into it on win8 until Samsung Kies (awful software but required to update firmware on the excellent Galaxy S 3 ) started throwing Themida errors because I'd run sysinternals process explorer (trying to fix Kies from refusing to connect to my phone until it had been re-installed AGAIN :(

Anyway, removing procmon20 from non-plug and play drivers was the first thing I wanted to do to fix it, but now it can't be done.

Has anyone found an alternative yet? this is a giant step backwards for system management :(

Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Solved one problem quickly at least.

autoruns.exe  -> drivers.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:37 PM