Error upon first install : Autorun.dll 0x3e7 error

Question

• This comes up when I put the DVD in. If I try to run setup.exe manually, I get the same error??? Any ideas?

Al

Saturday, June 10, 2006 2:57 AM

Answers

•  It's very possible the AutoRun Feature is corrupt on the other system then...I have ran into this before, and cannot remember the exact solution.

Personally I did a clean install on my system, booting from the DVD. If you cannot boot from the DVD, then it is not anything to do with a software issue, considering you are saying that it worked fine on another system...Of course you are losing all of your information by doing a clean install, so this may not be appropriate for you.

I know there are other options than this, but personally I would just reformat,  because it could be many other possible reasons as to why it won't work correctly.

This may help though you resolved the issue by installing on a different system...In addition, this may not apply to you...still may be helpful for a future reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;153981

Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:02 PM

All replies

• This may be a primitive, and simple answer...But, my first thought was whether or not you have the official DVD version from Microsoft, or the downloaded ISO version. If it is the ISO version, I would download the ISO again because it may be corrupt. I have previously ran into issues with this evaluating other programs...
    Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:25 AM
  • I will give that a try. Thank you!.
    Saturday, June 10, 2006 1:54 PM
  • Do you have problems with the Autorun feature for any other CD, or DVD?

Sunday, June 11, 2006 12:35 AM
  • Weird. I put the same CD in another PC and it works just fine. I decided to just install it on that PC. Make life easier.

Al

Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:42 PM
  •  It's very possible the AutoRun Feature is corrupt on the other system then...I have ran into this before, and cannot remember the exact solution.

Personally I did a clean install on my system, booting from the DVD. If you cannot boot from the DVD, then it is not anything to do with a software issue, considering you are saying that it worked fine on another system...Of course you are losing all of your information by doing a clean install, so this may not be appropriate for you.

I know there are other options than this, but personally I would just reformat,  because it could be many other possible reasons as to why it won't work correctly.

This may help though you resolved the issue by installing on a different system...In addition, this may not apply to you...still may be helpful for a future reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;153981

Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:02 PM
  • yup, if the DVD cannot be autorun on difference system, I would suggest to re-download. If it can be from from other system and you can use it to boot up and install Vista. It should not have any problem on disc. So, it should be the software problem on specific computer only.
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:07 AM
  • i am having trouble opening the disk.  i get

"E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application" 

When i boot from disk on startup it works fine except i want to upgrade not reinstall and the option for upgrade is grayed in and says it is unavailable.  It says i need to open from windows to upgrade system but i can't because of the error message.

Please help me!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 7:40 AM
  • Please CRC check you DVD disc first. If the disc got error, you can't run the setup.exe

Also, if you want to do a upgrade, you need to make sure you have enough space on the existing Hard Drive.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:08 AM
  • Im getting this exact same problem and its soo annoying. Waited 3 hours to download, didnt work so I then re-downloaded and wasted another dvd and still the same. Same happened when i downloaded Beta 2, so I have never actually gotten to use Vista despite the amount of downloads I have done. Realy annoyinh now that error message "The File 'autorun.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt. Setup cannot continue. Error Code [0x3E7]". If anybody can help pleease reply.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:01 PM
  • did you try to burn it in a lower speed?
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:33 AM
  • Hi all,

I have read somewhere that you dont have to burn it on a DVD disk, you donwloaded this program from http://www.magiciso.com. Well i did that and open the ISO file and ran the setup.exe. But it said it came up with an error saying that autorun.dll cannot befound or is corrupt.

Is there anyone out there that has that file so i can use vista? I spent 54 hours downloading this file... and to redownload it, its not going to happen.

So 2 things, if any one has the file autorun.dll can you email it to me or give me a link form where i can download it off the internet? I cannot find it.

The second thing, do you have to burn it on a dvd disk?

Thanks very much for your help in the future. You can email it to support@reallyfunny.grabyourhosting.com or email.reallyfunny at hotmail.com.

Thanks
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 7:09 AM
  • I typed a good message but it came up with an error so ill keep it short.

Any one have the file autorun.dll so i can install vist? If you have email the download link or send it to email.reallyfunny at hotmail.com

Can install of off the Hd drive without burning a copy?

Thanks
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 7:12 AM
  • I think you may try to extract the files to another HD partition and run the setup within XP.
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 4:52 PM
  • I ran into this same problem and found that it was the DVD-ROM would not read the DVD-R that I recorded on.  It worked fine on a newer DVDrom.  So, I just removed that DVDrom from that machine and used it on the system I wanted Vista installed on
    Friday, September 29, 2006 3:42 AM
  • I think it is the most common reason for not getting Vista to be installed.
    Friday, September 29, 2006 6:27 AM
  • I also get the 0x3E7 'autorun.dll' error when I try to insert the DVD when running XP.  I also get the error
    when I try to run setup.exe.  This is a DVD that was shipped to me from Microsoft, is there any way to check it?

When I try to boot from the DVD, I get the error 'Windows cannot open the required file E:\Sources\Install.wim.  The file may be corrupt or missing.  Error code:0x80070570'

Do I need to get a new disc from Microsoft? or could it be my drive?  I don't really have the option of trying to install it on another machine.

Thanks.

Mikey
    Saturday, October 07, 2006 7:44 PM
  • I think it may be the problem of the DVD drive. Try to find another one to test it!
    Sunday, October 08, 2006 3:22 PM
  • I was also having issues with the "E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application" message when trying to autorun/setup from a DVD. I traced it back to a copy of Nero OEM suite that came with my DVD burner. Uninstalled, and everything works once again.

Hope this helps...

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 1:31 AM
  • Seem the problem can be cuase by 3rd party software or hardware problem. Everyone should check them first.

It;s time to close this thread.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 2:28 AM