none
Desktop Window Manager

Question

• Hi Everyone. Currently I am having issues where when standard users log on they do not get the 3D flip effects etc of Windows Aero. If I run the "Aero Troubleshooter" it will detect that the Desktop Window Manager is disabled however even when running this under elevated account it does not resolve the issue.

I have checked that in fact the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" service is started (UxSms) so I have no idea why this is occuring,

However if I make the user local admin and run the troubleshooter it resolves the issue, I can then remove them as local admin and the aero effects stick fine

We do have some personalization settings set which could be causing some of these issues. These are the personalization settings we have (user settings)

"Force a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic" - Enabled - Path: %windir%\resources\Themes\Aero\aero.msstyles

"Screen saver timeout" - Enabled

" Prevent changing desktop background" - Enabled

" Desktop Wallpaper" - Enabled

I am getting the following in Windows Application event logs:

The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because the desktop composition setting is disabled

The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0xc00002fe)

Strange that this is only occuring for standard users. Any ideas?
    • Edited by nickm34 Monday, January 16, 2012 3:39 AM Additional Information
    Monday, January 16, 2012 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Nick,

Hi, as this issue first time appears on your pc, please try to perform a system restore to see if the same issue appears.

And you can try to change the virtual memory of C drive:

1 Right click “Computer” and select “Properties”

2 Select “Advanced system settings” on left side.

3 Click “Settings” of “Performance”

4 Click “Advanced”

5 Click “Change” of Virtual memory

6 unselect “Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers”

7 Set the size for driver what you want.

8 Click “Ok”

Refer for similar : Aero Desktop windows manager fault error 0xc00002fe

Thanks & Best Regards,

Mohammed Imtiyaz Ali

Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:23 AM
  • The issue that we experienced was due to graphics experience index not being calculated.

I have run this command line during our standard deploy task sequences to calculate this

%windir%\system32\winsat dwm

• Edited by nickm34 Monday, August 27, 2012 1:01 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 12:48 AM