VISTA - Black Screen white mouse pointer

Question

• So I'm on the phone with microsft tech support trying to install a vista update which fails everytime. They get me to delete various temporary files as well as renaming certain folders to .old. We then start in safe mode, disable nearly everything in startup and services then reboot as normal. After attempting to install the update (which failed!!), and subsequent re-boot I get the the black sceen with mouse pointer.

Horrified, I tell the tech support guy what has happened. He tells me to hit F8, boot in safe mode (no joy) and then with last known good configuration. No change.

He then tells me it is nothing to do with what he'd instructed me to do and tells me to contact the PC OEM and hangs up, leaving me with an issue that is clearly a known microsoft problem....

Unbelievable!!!

HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other info:

Mouse moves the pointer, tryed clicking everywhere on screen - nothing

Nothing on my keyboard works except the sleep button which does actually send the computer into sleep mode. Neither ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-shift-esc do anything.

core 2 duo 6400

3GB Ram

Nvidia GS7900

No idea of vista build No.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:24 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I had this problem on the same machine.  The first time it happened, I reinstalled vista after much debugging and diagnosing.  Then it happened again.  This thread is awesome and led me to the event viewer corruption. (thanks kzsmtkts!)  That was definitely the problem for me and saved me another reinstall.  Here's what I found:

1) Seems that this issue may have multiple causes but deals with a logon issue/hangup. 
    2) Even safe mode was a problem (if safe mode works, then it is probably not the event viewer corruption issue).
    3) I used the Shift 5 times trick to get a explorer open but other things didn't work.  (This also seemed to key into a corrupt event log or possibly a registry corruption).  However system restore should have taken care of the registry corruption and probably logon would have failed entirely.
    4) I could not open services.msc, regedit, etc.  It would just hang.  I was running with UAC on so maybe that was why (?)

Ok now for the good stuff!

Solved!

For some reason i could not open anything to disable the Event Viewer service (probably due to UAC).  So I thought well, the logs are just corrupt, let me clear them out manually.  Here's how you can do that:

1) Use the vista DVD to go to the repair mode. 
    2) From the same screen where you do the system restore, there's an option to open an administrative command prompt.
    3) That should open in X:\Sources or something like that
    4) Go to the windows drive by entering C:
    5) Now go to the windows event log folder on your machine (C:\Windows\System32\winevt):
    cd c:\windows\system32\winevt
    6) ren Logs Logs_bad
    7) mkdir Logs
    This will create an empty folder for new event logs.

Restart the system and cross fingers.

This worked for me.  I even set it back to the bad logs and the black screen issue reappeared.

Notes:
    After I was able to log in, I opened up each of the bad logs that were modified recently.  They were all able to open.  I have yet to try all of them to narrow down which one was the bad one. 

I hope this saves a few reinstalls (or even system restore points) for some of you.  Again, this would solve all issues but it worked for me.

UB
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hey there, I had the same thing happen to me, for different reasons, but what is happening is a driver is not loading corrertly. Safe mode should still work. Start your computer in safe mode and try to find the driver in question. For me it was a conflict of Roxio (By the way stay far away from roxio as vista doesn't play nice with it) and MagicDisk a program that manages virtual disk drives. While you may not have either program, becuase of that conflict if I were to start windows normally I would end up with nothing but a black screen and a mouse cursor(no commands working). To fix I simply removed roxio, which removed the driver that was causing windows to hang while starting up.

Try to uninstall/reinstall any drivers/programs you recently changed. Also try and undo the update if possible. If you have dell, don't bother calling they will just hold you up on the phone for three hours talking to some fool in India.

P.S. Logic and trouble-shooting don't always go hand-in-hand, the two programs of mine where working fine together until I updated my sound card driver of all things. Makes no sense to me, M$, or Dell.

Hope that was helpful.
    Friday, February 08, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Hi,
    I have the same problem when trying to boot into Vista Ultimate but with a difference. I can note boot into Safe Mode and I can not use Ctrl+Alt-Del while in the black screen. There is something I can do while in the black screen with mouse pointer (movable) and this is the only thing, I can press the SHIFT key 5 times in a row and I get the sticky keys dialog up.

Any ideas,

Cheers.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:55 PM
  • I got the exact same problem, does someone knows what is happening?

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Faced the same problem I managed to get into safe mode and performed system restore which was before the updates and it worked. Don't know how the pc will work without updates
    Monday, April 21, 2008 10:31 PM
  •  

Same problem here....getting a black screen with a cursor.  Safe mode doesn't work either.  Is this a Vista problem?  Seems like its happening a lot.
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Terence

When you see the black screen, can you press CTRL+ALT+DEL or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and get the screen to start the Task Manager?

If you can, in the task manager, select File/New Task. Type  Explorer.exe  in the box and click OK.

Does this display the Desktop?

If this post answers your question, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message
    so that other members can benefit from the discussion.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    • Proposed as answer by g.a.g Friday, April 17, 2009 12:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Nope, nothing happened when I tried cntrl-alt-del or cntrl-shift-esc.  I tried it both in safe mode and regular startup.  Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Terence

OK, the next level is to determine what recovery options you have.

If you have a Vista installation disk, you can boot from that disk and use the Startup Repair or System Restore from the repair options. Here are the steps to access these.

Place the installation disc in the drive.

Restart the system.

When the prompt appears on the screen, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

*Note:  If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings.

Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

Screenshot:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa86/rvmv/RE2.jpg

Click Repair your computer. (Lower left of the screen)

Screenshot:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa86/rvmv/RE3.jpg

Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

Screenshot:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa86/rvmv/RE4.jpg

On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

You will have Startup Repair and System Restore. Depending on the version you have, you may also have Complete PC Backup that you can use to restore from a backup.

Screenshot:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa86/rvmv/RE6.jpg

If these 2 options do not solve the problem, you can also access the Command Prompt from this menu. There is way to edit the registry from this option, let me know if the other options do not work.

If your system came with Vista Pre-installed and did not inclde a boot disk, the manufacturer may have included some of these repair options on the F8 boot menu.

Restart the system, press and hold the F8 Key until a black screen menu appears. Depending on how the system was configured, you may see Startup Repair, System Restore and other options, such as an item to completely restore the system to factory condition. This should be your last option, if nothing else works.

Let us know what you find.

If this post answers your question, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Hi, I actually tried this.  It was actually rebooting continuously in a loop before, and then I ran the System Recovery.  It said it repaired one problem with the boot sector.  And now its giving me the black screen.  I've tried doing it again, but its says all problem have been fixed, but its still not working.

Next solution?  (thanks for all the help!)

Terence

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Terence

Did you try System Restore, after using the Startup Repair? This would be the best option, at this point. If SR is not enabled, you will need to perform the following.

This procedure enables you to edit the registry from within the Vista Recovery Environment. Be careful and follow the steps explicitly.

Follow the same steps, as in the previous message to access the RE with the Vista boot disc.

At the Repair options, select the Command Prompt option.

1. Type C:   [Press ENTER]

2. At C:>  type  regedit   [Press ENTER]

The registry editor will open.

3. In the Registry select  'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE' and then go to File/Load Hive.

In the 'Load Hive' dialog box, navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\Config  folder.

In the Config folder, select  SOFTWARE  and click Open.

In the Name Hive dialog box, type a unique name, such as EDIT1 and click OK.

4. You should now see the EDIT1 branch, expand this branch and navigate to,

\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

5. In the right side of the Winlogon Key you will see a Value called  'Shell', double click this value.

In the Value Data box, it should show  'Explorer.exe'  and nothing else. If it shows something different, change the Value Data to Explorer.exe.

Click OK.

6. Scroll back up and select the EDIT1 branch.

7. Go to File and select Unload Hive.

Exit the registry editor and the command prompt. Press the 'Restart' button to reboot.

Reboot normally.

Let us know the result.

If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark as Answer' button at the top of this message

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Same thing happens, black screen w/ white cursor.  I did have a different command in the shell though, and had to change that to explorer.exe  (something with cmd in it).

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Terence

Strange? This has always worked 100% when that registry key was the cause of the problem. You might try rebooting a couple of more times.

I'll keep looking for more information, but it looks like your options are dwindling.  Any more information that you can remember about what was happening just prior to this problem could be helpful.

Since system restore or a full backup is not an option, you might want to look at performing an upgrade installation (Not a custom installation). This is similar to the repair option that was in XP. All of the installed programs and data will be retained.

Hopefully we aren't looking at the problem discussed in the following article.

When you start a Windows Vista-based computer, the system may stop responding (hang) at a black screen:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:08 PM
  • I went back to try the RegEdit process again and noticed in step #4, that when I expanded EDIT1, there was no SOFTWARE folder.  I actually opened the SOFTWARE folder under CONFIG.  Is that corret?

"4. You should now see the EDIT1 branch, expand this branch and navigate to,

\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon."

I looked at the article, and it seems similar but not quite the same since it wasn't hanging up when I tried the repair process, but it might be...starting to look more and more like I'm going to have to reinstall Vista.

How do I perform an upgrade install?  I couldn't find that option on the disk.

Also, before this problem occurred, this is what I did.  I had just plugged in a cable modem via USB, and it did a hardware install.  Everything seemed to be working fine, but when I shutdown and the next I turned it on, I got this problem.

By the way, thanks for all of the help!

Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Terence

You performed it right. Sorry, that path should have read '\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon'

The EDIT1 branch IS actually the Software branch, since you loaded the Software Hive. I changed the original steps to reflect the change.

One last thing to try. Since you have already made the registry change, try the Startup Repair one more time using the repair options on the disc. Before you perform the startup repair, unplug all of the peripheral hardware devices from the system, except the mouse and keyboard.

If this does not work you will need to reinstall Vista. You cannot perform an upgrade install, since this has to be started from within a current install. You will need to perform a clean (Custom) installation.

Depending on how critical your personal data is, you have a couple of options. When you clean install Vista on a system where there is already an existing Windows installation, all of the files on the existing installation should be saved in a folder called 'Windows.old' that is created in the C:\Windows folder of the new installation.

How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932912

However, since there are existing problems on the system, there is a chance that this will not work properly.

The other options you have are to perform a parallel installation, if there is another, empty partition on the drive.

The other option would be to remove the existing hard drive and replace it with a new drive. Install Vista on the new drive and then install the old drive as a slave. You could then recover the data from the old drive.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Well, tried the repair again and it found a corrupt system file, chdsk, and repaired it.  Unfortunatly, it didn't fix the main problem though, as the same thing still happens. 

I was able to retrieve all of my old files by connecting it to another computer as a slave.  Looks like I'll probably have to reinstall Vista and all of my programs though.  Thanks for all of the help, it was very much appreciated!

Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Terence

OK, sorry we couldn't find a better solution for you.

If you do happen to run acros any information that might be what caused the problem, please let us know.

Thanks.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Thursday, May 08, 2008 10:45 PM
  • I am having the same issue and tried everything here.  Need help, did you figure it out.  This happened to me after I installed some IMPORTANT updates.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Unfortunately, I've had no more luck.  The laptop is sitting on my desk while I'm using a backup right now.  I was able to copy all of the files off of it, by removing the hard drive and setting it up as a slave to my other laptop.  If I don't come up with a solution, looks like I'm going to have to reimage it.  Its strange too that I lost all of my restore points....

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:56 PM
  • Terence

That is strange, does the system partition have planty of disk space?

This is the only known issue I could find about SR when installing SP1.

System restore points and shadow copies of files are missing after you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945681

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Friday, May 16, 2008 5:29 AM
  • This Does help, the desktop does appear - but when I reboot it does the same thing.  Then I have to redo the steps.

Thank you for the help

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:45 AM
  • I'm wondering if the problem has anything to do with my installation of a cable modem (which is the last thing that I did before I started having this problem).  Unfortunately, I lost all of my restore points for some reason...Is there anyway that I can remove the drivers or do an uninstall from the command prompt.  That's the only thing that I can seem to get into.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:36 PM
  • I'm having a very similar problem.  In safe mode, I get the black screen with the word Safe around the edges, the mouse moves but nothing else works.  If I boot normally, I can't install updates.  When I try to run task manager, it shows up in the task bar, but it will not come up so that I can actually see what is running.  I'm trying to install Windows Live OneCare right now so that I can scan the machine, but the install is hanging about three quarters of the way through.  The machine is still responsive, it is just that installs, updates, and task manager are not working. 

I also tried to use restore and was surprised to see that there was only one to choose from, even though the machine is a few months old.  When I tried to restore that restore point, the machine hung.  Now System Restore will not even run.

I tried to uninstall Roxio as someone suggested, but the uninstallation hangs too at "Uninstalling Roxio Update Manager."

When I try to shut down the machine, it goes to the Logging off... screen and hangs forever.  (Or at least overnight.)

I'm stuck too.

Terry Gold

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:27 PM
  • Ronnie Vernon,

Thank you very much for the post. It save me from formatting my drive. You are like an idol to me now. You have a great year!
    Thursday, June 05, 2008 3:50 AM
  • I did the regedit part that Ronnie post and my computer boot up but when i shut it down and turn it back on, the black screen come back again.
    Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:29 AM
  • My problem turned out to be something different.  I had installed the beta version of Live Mesh.  It installed a virtual video driver, and it seems like it conflicted with the real driver.  It worked at first, but after a crash it conflicted, then took all of the CPU cycles.  When we (thanks Ned!) figured out what was going on, we disabled the LM service and the machine was able to run and boot cleanly again.  Once we got it back on its feet I was able to reenable LM and it has worked fine since.  So . . . look at video drivers and if you have two, maybe one is not working properly.

terry

Thursday, June 05, 2008 5:00 AM
  • Hi, guys.

I ran across this same problem. Black screen, cursor, no CTRL+ALT+DEL, nothing working.
    But I could enter in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
    After a lot of frustating tries, trying everything around the web, I don´t know why my vista got to boot, but without aero (looking like an old win95 system), my wireless not working, but with sound. Trying to figure out why and how I got this, just found that the system was running with almost no services. There was just 3 or 4 services running (sorry, didn´t write them down).
    So I´ve found a list (Black Viper´s services list) with all the essencial services for running Vista in a safe way.
    I begun to enable every service according to this list (from the "Safe" collumn), one by one. At some point I got my wireless working, but the sound was off (when I put the mouse over the sound icon on the tray, it sad "the audio service is not enabled"). I got to connect and browse the internet, and I was happy.
    Then I continued with enabling the services. After a few reboots, I got once the wireless and the sound working, along with aero. The system was back, again. I was very happy.
    I rebooted one more time to make sure everithing was ok, and then the wireless was not working. When I tryied to open Network Connections, the window didn´t load. Trying to do anything was useless, cause everything was hanging now. I´ve decided to reboot, but I got stuck in the Logging Off screen. After a while (10 minutes), I just hit the power button, and shut off the system the brute way.
    Next boot? Black screen again. I am back to the beginning...

So, my conclusion: some problem with wireless service versus sound service. I´ll try to disable them just for testing purposes. Come back later. Any ideas or sugestions would be fine.

Thanks, and let´s fix this OS!

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Update:

After the above, I got to Safe Mode with Command Prompt and disabled the following services, one by one, rebooting after each one of them:
    -XAudio Service
    -Windows Audio
    -WLAN AutoConfig
    -Server

And I disabled User Account Control, just for safe.

When I disabled the Server service, I got the system working again after the reboot. Without network and without sound, of course.

Then I Rolled back the wireless adapter drivers to the previous version. Rebooted and everything seemed nice.
    So I've reenabled the WLAN service, and rebooted.
    System up, wireless network working good.
    Reenabled the Windows Audio service. Rebooted. Everything fine. Sound and Wireless working again.

Rebooted a few more times just to make sure everything was ok. After a couple reboots, antivirus verification, spybot and so on, the black screen again.

Getting into safe mode I can see a SVCHOST process taking up exactly 50% of the CPU. If I kill this process, the next reboot is ok. If anything goes wrong, the next reboot (in safe mode) will show me this SVCHOST process with 50% CPU usage. Doesn't make sense at all, I know. Imediatelly after killing this process, windows finishes loading (in safe mode, because I cannot kill it in normal mode), and the next normal boot is ok.

Now I know the problem is related to wireless networking and this SVCHOST process taking up 50% of the CPU, because I got to isolate the sound problem. Even if the sound hardware is disabled and the audio service is stoped, I get the black screen sometimes.

Any ideas?
    Anybody facing the same symptoms?

Thanks a lot!

UPDATE 2:

It seems that the computer is working ok now, with the described above. But since then I got 2 black screens after reboot. Both of them after trying to manage wireless connections. The solution was the same: Safe Mode and killing that SVCHOST taking up 50% of the CPU. It's annoying, needless to say.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 2:09 AM
  • hi

i have the same problem with black screen and moving mouse , i tried what you advised, the problem still exists.

did you find out another solution?

regards

gokhan

Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:28 AM
  •  

Running on Vista Business 32 bits, have the same problem, after reboot I'm logging in and get a black screen with cursor in center of the cursor, I can move the cursor, but nothing else I can do, tryed safe mode and doing the same thing...

Any ideas ?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:26 PM
  •  

Also tryed to restore from a restore which was done successfully, but still get black screen with cursor after log in..

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:05 PM
  • I bumped on this error when I boot up my notebook. I switched it on and left for a minute, but afterward i heard the logo sound. Upon my return, I discovered that the notebook was in the boot up loading screen with the green progress bar, and kept on restarting my system after the black screen was reached.

I tried the various options that were available at the boot log in screen, and the Safe Mode was the only one that seemed to work.

After logging in Safe Mode, a window appeared which told me that vista had recovered from a serious crash. The problem was reported in the "Problem Reports and Solutions" section in the Control Panel, and I searched for available solutions for the reported problem, which appeared to be of the "BlueScreen" type. Here is the exact complete information:

=================================
    Problem Event Name                          BlueScree
    n
    OS Version                                       
    Locale ID                                           1048
    Mini091908-22.dmp                                              - I believe this file was sent when i chose to report the problem
    sysdata.xml
    version.txt
    BCCode: 3b
    BCP1:     00000000C000001D
    BCP2:     FFFFFA800670C014
    BCP3:     FFFFA6008AFE0D0
    BCP4:     00000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6001
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Furthermore, this problem appeared out of nowhere and I cannot help but wonder if this was actually a time bomb set up by someone, because I have checked all the recent adjustments I made to the notebook, also updates and programs installed, and they were made more than a week ago.

My laptop is a hp pavilion dv 2495. I will also try to reinstall vista with my backup OEM dvd.

I hope the information I provided will be helpful in resolving this matter as quickly as possible.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:22 PM
  • This morning when I boot the notebook in safe mode, I received the crash warning again. After making a "Check for solutions" checkup, I was advised to check my antivirus software (through a window that told me they couldn't track the actual source of the problem, but that the antivirus was involved) and possibly update it. I did what they suggested, and I had no more problems booting up and it worked normally. I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. The fact is, I noticed that there were two consecutive updates for Kaspersky which required me to restart my computer (on my other computers), which seemed odd at first glance but actually made sense (the other computers did not experience any problems).

Actually, when I said that I had checked it for updates, I didn't check the antivirus, as I couldn't run it through the command prompt.

I hope this will contribute to solving all the problems you are experiencing.
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:28 AM
  • Has anyone found the definitive answer to this problem? I've had two Dell 1501 exhibit the same behavior. One took a complete Vista reinstall and to correct. Now, after a Vista upgrade, another Dell 1501  wont boot completely and stalls with the same blank screen with moving cursor that everyone is experiencing on this thread.

A blue screen apeared but disappeared before I could read it. The laptop's owner said she saw it and it mentioned the dreaded Roxio driver. How can I uninstall this Roxio junk from a machine that won't boot?

What I've already tried:

Safe mode won't boot.

Tried System Restore.

Ran complete Dell system/memory diagnostics, no problems reported.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 10:02 PM
  • I have the exact same problem here, all bootoptions, safe mode, last known configuration, etc give the same result. I once had a blue screen of death which disappeared very quick, but caught a small glimpse, it said "unmountable boot device".

Hardware : Acer 5315 laptop. BSD message now gone. All boot options give black screen and moveable mousepointer, shift/capslock works (LED blinks) but furthermore no progress. I hope someone can help me out, ofcourse backup of the machine was just planned but missed it. Reinstall is the last resort... need to look further... hope someone can help me out!

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:04 PM
  • I have the black screen I think it happened after I update a driver, now my computer will not even let me boot up in safe mode any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Monday, October 13, 2008 4:26 PM
  • is it at all possible that it was an ntfs.sys BSOD?  I had one disappear VERY quickly, and then this problem started.  In this instance, fortunately, i was able to recover with system restore.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Hey I installed the latest windows autoupdate last night my computer was working fine this morning, however i noticed my HDMI and Speakers playback options were not showing when i right clicked on the sound options on the task bar so i thought i would restart my computer. Now it does nothing, safemode, restore, etc does not work. I can get to startup repair and that is it but it does nothing to fix the problem! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:10 PM
  • NOTE: i found a fix for it, if your computer is in a domain read this topic.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=2871631&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

I think this is a problem with an update that doesn't work well with a windows software.

If you want to get the cause of this problem you should update your computer with 1 update at a time and reboot.

And you should try waiting for an hour, i have the same problem but it boots through within 10 minutes.

If this doesn't solve anything let me know please. so i can test it myself

control panel > Programs > Installed Updates > uninstall the update that causes the problem

(this could be a little off since i translated this from my language)

I hope this is of any help for any of you guys.

And for any IT specialist from Microsoft:

I unchecked to startup the service Windows Update at Msconfig, and after that i got a black screen even before the login screen (booted in safe mode and changed the option)

If needed i can upload my log but it's in dutch and not in english

Friday, October 17, 2008 11:02 AM
  • This computer is not connecting to a Domain. For all others that are still experiencing this problem, here's an update to the case I reported previously on this thread: I was finally able to run a system restore to a point before any upgrades were installed on this Vista PC. I had to run the restore from the Vista OEM installation media; boot into the media (change BIOS settings) and then run a system restore. The PC worked normally once restored to pre-Vista SP1.

I then tried to let it install Vista SP1 when it asked to and once it again it fails with a blank screen and a mouse pointer after this update is installed. Same problem everyone is having in this thread. I've read that there could be corruption in the file system causing this problem and would need to reinstall the OS completely to resolve this problem (thanks!). However, this PC was purchased with a Vista upgrade option from Dell (Vista wasn't shipping at the time); so now I'd have to reinstall XP and then perform the Vista OEM upgrade. Too much time.

This PC will run with Vista Updates off until someone, hopfully Microsoft Support can give a better diagnosis to the group of why we're all having this same problem. I have another identical system that is running Vista SP1 without this problem.

I'm thinking of getting Ghost software from work and taking a good image of the working PC and copy it to the broken PC (backing up the personal files on the broken PC). Anyone think this would work? I'm sure the fixed PC would have to update it's MS license somehow.

(BTW - perhaps someone should publish this thread in related blogs - maybe Microsoft would be more responsive).

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:24 PM
  • I to had the black screen with mouse pointer,i was able to do a ctrl alt delete then click on start task manager,then click help click task manager help topics on the screen that comes up click security and maintenance ,click back up and restoreat bottom of page click what is system restore,neer bottom of page click to open system restore, use choose a different restore point then go back to a salf day.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:06 AM
  • I had the same problem black screen with pointer,mine started when my screen froze and i hard shut it down.I was able to get control again by clicking ctr l, alt, delete then clicking task manager,then help,then task manager help topics,then click on the  house icon,then click on security and maintenance then click on back up and restore and restore to a known date before black screen started.   Good luck.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:04 PM
  • UPDATE:  The problem with this computer not booting was caused by an incompatible ATI graphics driver. The laptop finally blue-screened during boot and I was able to capture the error message before it disappeared in 5 seconds. 

I resolved this problem, but it took a lot of trial and error. Not only did I have to completely reinstall Vista, I had to reformat the hard drive as well before reinstalling or the machine wouldn't boot. Once reformatted and reinstalled Vista, I had to update to the latest BIOS from Dell and THEN run the upgrade for the latest ATI graphics driver. Running the upgrade for the ATI drivers without the new BIOS would not install the actual drivers, even though ATI's installer said it did. 

With everything reinstalled, I let the PC upgrade to VISTA SP1 and it boots and is working at the moment.

My 2 cents: this issue has more to do with Dell and their lousy recommended drivers. Perhaps Vista could have recognized the incompatible driver before installing SP1 - maybe one day we'll have intellegent operating systems.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Yes this did the trick!!  I was able to get to the task manager and running explorer.exe brought the desktop back up and finished the bootup.  Not sure if this will cure it as I haven't tried a re-boot yet so we shall see. 

Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:36 PM
  • FIX: Event Log Corrupt
    Thread has many different approaches to solving the same symptoms. So, maybe this post will help others.

My black screen after logon: system hung with no response to control-alt-delete. Only thing that worked was pressing SHIFT KEY 5 TIMES. The sticky key assistant opens, then you can CLICK the link to edit advaced settings. This got me to an explorer, then manually entered into the address line
    c:\windows\system32\msconfig. Using that tool, you can go into diagnostics mode and shut down services and startup tasks. Restart the computer.

Using msconfig I narrowed down the cause of the black screen to the Event Log Service.

Using that knowledge, was able to find the log files (new to vista: they're stored in a dedicated folder vs. the old .evt files of previous Windows versions.)

Good Luck.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:47 PM
  •  

im experienceing the same problem...

my computer wasn't responding so i had to restart it

then, once i restarted it, threr was an error, i let Windows automaticaly fix it

and now.. i get the black screen and pointer when im supposed to get the log in page...just after the vista prgress bar...

i tried everything, restoring to a different time back, letting windows fix the problem, restarting the computer many times...

i don't want to totally erase it because i have valuable files in there (family photos etc)

everything just brings me back to the black screen and pointer.... i want to log in again Sad

i think i tried almost everything... but if you know how to solve this problem, please tell me how Smile

thnks a bunch

Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:04 AM
  • This helped me! Thanks! I was unable to see anything after log in no matter what way I tried to boot. Windows reported no restore points and safe mode gave me nothing. Using the sticky key assistant was was my back door into the system and was very close to doing a reinstall. Turns out I am having event log service problems too. Thanks again kzsmtkts..

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:21 PM
  • This has happened to several client machines that I take care of.  HP and Dell.  I had to boot with the Vista installation disk and restore to before the last update.  Here were the updates that I found on 3 of the systems that I had problems with:

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.47.15.0)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.45.1466.0)

These updates did not cause a reboot but 3 or 4 days later the systems were rebooted and bam black screen with the mouse pointer.  Nothing was changed on the systems and a restore to after the updates were installed did not fix the problem.

Why a Defender update would cause this I have no idea but I think the black screen is kind of the catch all for problems with Vista like drivers, updates etc etc.

I haven't finished researching all of them yet so will try to post more later.

Good luck everyone!

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:24 PM
  • I'm hitting this exact scenario on a Dell Inspiron 1521 - blank screen after boot-up with working mouse cursor. 
    • Safe Mode doesn't work, Safe Mode /w Command Prompt doesn't work (all same behavior); 
    • the Repair mode works including the command prompt
    • I can't get Explorer or Task Manager to come up
    • I get an audio chirp if I hold the shift key down but no UI.

I checked the Winlogon\Shell key as described above from Vista RE (can access it from the F8 menu on this Vista install); it's set to Explorer.

I tried the automated repair, it fixed one problem but didn't change the behavior, and now reports no problems. System Restore is saying there are no restore points, which is strange because...

...The last thing I did before this problem started was run Windows Update - it installed one update but failed to install 3 others (once it gave an error code, the 2nd time it said they didn't apply to this system). I got a pop-up on the box that "C:\$Secure" was corrupt and to run chkdsk; it was the reboot after the chkdsk that the current behavior started.

My inclination at this point is to backup the critical contents of the drive and do the factory restore, but if there's other things I can try first, please let me know.

Chris
    Friday, November 28, 2008 7:47 PM
  • I got that same problem and after a little search here is what I finally found at Microsoft.com

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532
    Monday, December 01, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

It seems like there are a couple of distinct issues going on here -

• Windows boots to a black screen. Mouse pointer moves. Computer can be booted in Safe Mode
    • Windows boots to a black screen. Mouse pointer moves. Computer cannot be booted in Safe Mode

I think the second issue is covered in some of the knowledgebase articles, and the excellent posts by Ronnie Vernon.

The first issue (and the one that I'm suffering with) seems to be related to device driver conflicts or corruptions. (see Terry Golds virtual video nasty earlier in this thread)

In my case, Vista gets past the boot screen (black with rubbish progress bar), a mouse pointer appears, the soothing strings sound, but the Vista globe is conspicuous by its absence.

The Mouse pointer momentarily disappears, then reappears. And stays there. The screen remains resolutely black.

No amount of shift key pressing or desperate entreaties to uncle Bill work, just a cold hard power off.

I've tried system restoring to before the problem, but this doesn't work.

Now, I'm inclined to believe that its a problem with my nvidia graphics card driver, as when I disable the card, Vista works fine, although it looks alll low res and horrible.

Uninstalling the card (deleting the drivers) works too, until Vista re-installs the drivers for the hardware, restarts the comuter to complete the installation ...... and boots to a black screen and pointer.

I also found some updated drivers which helpfully cause a blue screen of death on booting up - a swift rollback of drivers gets me back to the black screen, silently mocking me...

I have noticed that if I uninstall the drivers, then boot back in in safe mode, there appear to be some nvidia drivers hanging around in various places. I feel in my bones that if I can just get rid of these, then Vista will be forced to go and download some shiny new drivers instead of the horrible corrupted things lurking in the recesses of my hard drive. Unfortunately, although having an administrator account, Vista won't allow me to do this:

"Do you want to try again?"

"No. I simply want to delete the drivers"

"You aren't allowe to do that. Do you want to try again..."

Does anyone know how I can convince Vista that I am responsible enough to delete whichever files I want, and that, although appreciative at its (admittedly somewhat suffocating) attempts to save me from myself, I am not only willing, but able to shoulder whatever consequences my actions may cause.

On further reflection, if anyone knows for sure that I'm on the verge of commiting a huge gaffe that will render my telly inoperable forever, then for the love of whatever, stop me and tell me what I should be doing.

Technical Regards

Yonabout

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Well, I too had the same problem. I had been out of town for a few months and I let windows do an update to my system. It also found a recommended Nvidia driver update. It also updated my wireless card driver. After the update and a reboot I got the black screen and mouse. CTL+ALT+DEL...last known configuration, safe mode...nothing was working. I looked everywhere and found nothing. I had one trick up my sleeve though. I noticed that when you run safe mode with command prompt the command prompt loads and you are able to run programs out of the windows directory.

At the prompt I typed in msconfig and the configuration screen popped up. Under the general tab I unchecked Load startup items and I unchecked load system services. This makes your boot process as basic as possible. I rebooted and it rebooted itself about 2 more times. On the 3rd reboot I had my nice colorful desktop back but in the most basic mode. first thing i did was uninstall my Nvidia drivers and everything else that had been installed in the past couple of days. When microsoft installed the nvidia drivers again...i went into device manager and picked an older driver. Finally I went back into msconfig and rechecked load startup items and system services. When I rebooted it worked fine. Let me know if this works for anybody else.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 6:25 PM
  • I have the same issue. I have read almost all of these posts and have not found a solution. Black screen, cursor, will not boot in any mode. I have son in law with a repair disk and it will boot to that but nothing else. I am at my whits end. Any other ideas? I am pretty computer illiterate so any help must be explicit.

Sunday, December 07, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Start off by booting up and pressing F8 continuously while booting. From the list of options choose Safe mode with command line. When the machine boots up and you see the black screen and command line, type in msconfig and press enter. The system configuration utility should load. Under general choose selective startup and uncheck load system services and uncheck load startup items. If you know of any drivers you recently updated you can change the name of the file in the command line as well. Anyway restart. Your computer may reboot a couple of times. When it finally loads you will be in safe mode but you will have access to your desktop. Go into control panel and choose programs and features. Uninstall any programs that you installed since your last successful reboot. I also uninstalled my NVidia video card drivers. I then pulled up the command prompt type cmd in the search field in the start tab. Type msconfig and choose normal startup. When my machine restarted it reinstalled my Nvidia drivers and everything has been working fine since then.

Goodluck, if you have any other problems just email me at Rccm112@hotmail.com

Sunday, December 07, 2008 6:00 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with my machine and was wondering if you have found out how to fix it?
                                    11/12/08
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:48 AM
  • I can get the "sticky keys" request box up by pressing "shiftx5" but the only options it gives me is,do you want to switch it on, yes or no? Either option takes me back to black screen with movable mouse.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:22 PM
  • What do you do once you get sticky keys up?
    My options are do you want sticky keys switched on...yes or no?
    either option takes me back to black screen with movable mouse!
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:26 PM
  • what is and how do you get the sticky key assistant up?
    I get asked if I want to use it yes or no...then nothing!
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Don't click yes or no. Try Clicking the blue underlined link that's embedded in the dialog text. For, me it brought up an internet explorer window with help text. From there I was able to enter executables in the address line as per previous post.

Good luck. This thread has so many different solutions to the same symptom. Tragic.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Sigh, I'm having the same problem. Vista hangs with black screen and only mouse pointer before login... Same when loading in safe mode.

Things I've tried:
    • ctrl+shift+esc, ctrl+alt+del, f5 five times. no luck.
    • boot from disc and run startup repair. vista says that there are no problems.
    • boot from disc, run system restore. vista finds no restore points.
    • start from disc, run regedit and set shell to "explorer.exe". it already said explorer.exe there.
    • start from disc, run chkdsc /f (and /r), says it finds 4 bad clusters, but doesnt fix them and gives them no more attention.
    • leave it on for ten minutes and see if it resolves itself. no such luck.
    • run all kinds of bios tests, no errors.
    • pop out the motherboard battery (this is where i began to get desperate). no difference.
    So, what's left to try? Have to say i love the error handling done by MS, a black screen, no other info...

Edit: Giving up and reinstalling vista. And all along the sideshow was alive and well and mockingly asking me if i want to play solitair...
    Edit2: And that installation worked for about half a day before it gave up and complained about the harddrive. So, I guess I've found the problem...
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:38 AM
  • Hello,

I had this problem on the same machine.  The first time it happened, I reinstalled vista after much debugging and diagnosing.  Then it happened again.  This thread is awesome and led me to the event viewer corruption. (thanks kzsmtkts!)  That was definitely the problem for me and saved me another reinstall.  Here's what I found:

1) Seems that this issue may have multiple causes but deals with a logon issue/hangup. 
    2) Even safe mode was a problem (if safe mode works, then it is probably not the event viewer corruption issue).
    3) I used the Shift 5 times trick to get a explorer open but other things didn't work.  (This also seemed to key into a corrupt event log or possibly a registry corruption).  However system restore should have taken care of the registry corruption and probably logon would have failed entirely.
    4) I could not open services.msc, regedit, etc.  It would just hang.  I was running with UAC on so maybe that was why (?)

Ok now for the good stuff!

Solved!

For some reason i could not open anything to disable the Event Viewer service (probably due to UAC).  So I thought well, the logs are just corrupt, let me clear them out manually.  Here's how you can do that:

1) Use the vista DVD to go to the repair mode. 
    2) From the same screen where you do the system restore, there's an option to open an administrative command prompt.
    3) That should open in X:\Sources or something like that
    4) Go to the windows drive by entering C:
    5) Now go to the windows event log folder on your machine (C:\Windows\System32\winevt):
    cd c:\windows\system32\winevt
    6) ren Logs Logs_bad
    7) mkdir Logs
    This will create an empty folder for new event logs.

Restart the system and cross fingers.

This worked for me.  I even set it back to the bad logs and the black screen issue reappeared.

Notes:
    After I was able to log in, I opened up each of the bad logs that were modified recently.  They were all able to open.  I have yet to try all of them to narrow down which one was the bad one. 

I hope this saves a few reinstalls (or even system restore points) for some of you.  Again, this would solve all issues but it worked for me.

UB
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:57 AM
  • This is the fix

1. Boot into "safe mode with command prompt" as described in two of the previous posts.
    2. Type msconfig at the command prompt. The system configuration window will open up.
    3. Choose selective start and uncheck both Load System Services, and startup items.
    4. Reboot (you do not need to boot into safe mode again)
    5. Uninstall anything you or windows update recently installed(ie...NVIDIA drivers) in the control panel-->programs and features. Your installed programs can be organized in order by date installed by clicking the installed on tab. Anything installed around the last couple of days before your system went black can be the culprit.
    6. press the windows key
    7. in the start search field (underneath all programs)type cmd to open a command prompt
    8. type msconfig in the command prompt
    9. Click normal start up
    10. reboot and everything should be back to normal

X
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:11 AM
  • We have been running into lots of these KSOD's (blacK Screen Of Death).  It has to do with the RPCSS key in the registry.  Last known good, safe mode, and system restore generally don't fix it.  Here is how to fix it:
    http://www.logicitc.com/blog/?p=102

• Proposed as answer by Ira Herman Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Unfortunately none of the above fixes worked for me.

Tried the EventLog one. Same problem.
    Tried the RpcSs solution. My setting was already correct as NT AUTHORITY/NetworkService

Really really don't want to reformat and reinstall.
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 11:00 PM
  • By using task manager and manually starting task 'explorer', will this permanently fix the issue or will this need to be performed each time I boot up?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:49 AM
  • ubman1, great find! That solved it for me. Corrupt logs, who would have thought, I guess you did :) Nice work! I recommend those that have tried everything else, to try this (see above post by ubman1) . It worked for me. Upon boot, logged in and back to normal.

To Microsoft: You should add this to your KB or explore the Log corruption issue some more. I'm runing SP1 with everything updated and I think some of the latest updates caused those issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532 "To work around this problem, perform a clean installation or a parallel installation of Windows Vista."  this is really not a useful answer nor a solition of any kind! Troubleshoot the issue some more. A lot of different reasons seem to cause the KSOD. May be it is or it isn't related to TxF NTFS.  
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:10 AM
  • I Tried the boot in Fail Mode with Command prompt, then executed msconfig and disable all services, this fixed the black screen but left me with a non fully working windows. It boots but all services remain disabled. After enabling one by one, Windows Defender was the culprid. Uppon enabling this service, Windows hang with BS. Perhaps a better aproach it to boot into the command mode, but execute services.msc, and disable only Defender. I'm also using Nero, so it can be part of the problem too.
    Programmer
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Hello

Tried to boot into Safe mode with command prompt however I just get the same Black Screen with the pointer BS.  I also tried the Shift 5 times deal, both with no luck.  I can't seem to get to the places to try some of these posible fixes.  I'm going to try a restore point next and see what happens.  I think I may be stuck reloading the system.  If anyone has anything I should try or knows why the boot to Safe mode with command will not load let me know. 

Thanks,

JEM
    IT Guy
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:59 AM
  • One more thing.  This issue seemed to come up after a recent Media player update from Microsoft was installed on the system.  System was running fine until that update.  Other then that nothing has changed.  Seems like Microsoft is breaking their own stuff. 

I also run Zenith's Saaz service on this system so if someone thinks there is a relationship there, lets talk off line. 

Thanks

JEM
    IT Guy
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:05 AM
  • he dude i tryed safe mode but it still didn't work!! all the choices they gave me don't work! please help
    Monday, March 02, 2009 8:18 PM
  • I solved this for myself just earlier. 

In my situation, I had a Dell Latitude E4200 that would boot to a black screen with the cursor visible. Our machines require ctrl-alt-del to logon, and doing so brought up the use agreement that we have configured through policies, but after okaying that screen the black would reappear. The Windows Logon User Interface Host was crashing. 

Also in my situation, I was able to enter the GUI safemode. I disabled all services, then re-enabled them in groups to determine which one was causing the problem. 

I found out it was the Smart Card service. After disabling that everything works fine. We do not use smart cards so there is no issue for us, so I didn't look any farther into what was actually making the Smart Card service crash the logon host. 

Hope this helps someone else.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:38 PM
  • I've tried all of the ideas here and none of them work.  I still have the black desktop with a white mouse pointer.  The problem is so freaking random, that I'm sure that Microsoft has no intention of fixing it because it seems to be something different for everyone. 

The only "fix" I've discovered is to just let the system sit on the black desktop / white mouse pointer for an unspecified amount of time and eventually everything will start up.  It's happened on the 3 systems I have Vista installed on, and it "works" for all of them. 

I have a Phenom II 940 and it takes about 5-8 minutes for the desktop to appear, my sister's slower computer (an X2 4000) takes about the same amount of time.  Frustrating?  Yes.  Fixable?  Probably not.  Resolution thus is to go do something else for a while.  UGH!
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Hey,i have the same problem as mentioned above.I had installed MagicISO.how did you manage to fix it?
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Yes.it does.but is there any way to automatically start explorer.exe?doing so may fix the problem.
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:57 AM
  • i`m Having the same problem. But in my case when I type explorer.exe in the task manager i get my desktop back. But I have to do it every time I restart my computer. How can i fix this?
    Thaks
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:25 PM
  • mabe microsoft did this on purpose. if it was an update, maybe it was like the thing in china. it could be an anti piracy measure. if it is, then microsoft really sucks.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:36 PM
  • I tried maannny of these suggestions and none of them worked. I sitll haven't fixed the problem BUT...

…I found a way to extract old files from the affected laptop and put it onto an external hard drive that I had laying around. Which I then can access from any computer. This is what I did.
    ***WARNING***: Instructions are given in a way where my 5 year old nephew can follow them. I’m a noob when it comes to computers, so, sorry to all you IT Experts :)

1) Connect my external hard drive (via USB) to the affected laptop

2) Turn the laptop on, repeatedly tapping on F8 to take me to the ADVANCED BOOT OPTIONS.

3) Select Repair Your Computer

4) Under SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONS I selected Command Prompt

5) Typed C: [Press ENTER]

6) At C:> typed regedit [Press ENTER]
    - The registry editor will open.

7) In the Registry select ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ and then go to File > Load Hive.

8 ) On the left panel, select Computer
    - You should then be able to see your external hard drive, as well as your OS (C:)

From here on out, I’m not completely sure if this is how it is going to look for everyone. But this is how it looks for me (I have multiple users on this computer so I just went to into the user’s files and selected which ever files I wanted to COPY onto the external hard drive. )

9) I Double Clicked on C: drive > double clicked on users > double clicked on the user under which my files are located

10) I then located which files I wanted to copy. I right clicked on the file, selected copy.

11) I then clicked on Computer on the left panel and then double clicked on my hard drive ( Mines was listed as the E: drive ). This should be located under Hard disk drives.

12) Upon entering the hard drive, right click anywhere on the white part of the main box. Then select paste. I would give it some time to make the copy since the Estimated Time box doesn’t appear, just to make sure the files is being copied properly.

I did this for all the documents that I needed ASAP and also for some family pictures. I still can’t come across a solution to fixing the “KSOD”. I tried many many suggestions but none of them worked. I think I might just as well do a reinstallation of VISTA since I got everything that I needed from the laptop.

Be patient, optimistic, and keep persevering. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:10 AM
  • So they want to cripple us paying folks too.  Nice. 

The folks who think you're posting the "fix" - keep dreaming.  This issue is a deep underlying fault with a component of the OS somehow.  I've tried every fix in this thread, and nothing works.  Nada.  Reboot the system and the issue comes back.  To make matters worse, a system I KNOW to be operational was just loaded with Vista, patched, Service Pack 1, you name it - same stupid issue. 

If this "problem" is in Windows 7, I'll stop looking funny at my friends who went to linux, and make the switch myself.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:26 PM
  • I had a black screen after log in with only the mouse pointer being visible.

MY FIX
    This is what worked for me:

Start windows in safe mode with command prompt
    In command prompt type: msconfig
    Go to Services
    Untick "Windows Event Log"
    Click Apply, Click Ok, Click Restart (You may have to make a hard reset here, go ahead)
    Start windows in normal mode

If you want the Event Logger running again then:
    Go to C:\Windows\System32\winevt
    and
    rename the "Logs" dir to "Logs_bad"
    Create new dir "Logs"

Enable the "Windows Event Log" service at:
    Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services
    Right click on "Windows Event Log" go to properties and set "Startup Type" to "Automatic"

Restart.

DONE :)
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Phpkid:

I followed your instruction and didn't work on first time and almost give up. It looked even worse since it gave me blue screen (0x00000093).  But after then, it boots to windows and everything works fine.

Thank your help buddy

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:03 PM
  • The reason that waiting works, is that the Windows Defender service, which is trying to stop for some reason, eventually either stops or times out.  Once that happens, you get your computer's functionality back.

Check the startup programs and if Windows Defender is listed there, delete it or disable it.  I highly recommend ccleaner (formerly ____ Cleaner) for this purpose (as well as all of the other great things it does).

I don't know if Windows Defender is the chicken or the egg, but it's definitely involved.
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 8:22 PM
  • The reason that waiting works, is that the Windows Defender service, which is trying to stop for some reason, eventually either stops or times out.  Once that happens, you get your computer's functionality back.

Check the startup programs and if Windows Defender is listed there, delete it or disable it.  I highly recommend ccleaner (formerly ____ Cleaner) for this purpose (as well as all of the other great things it does).

I don't know if Windows Defender is the chicken or the egg, but it's definitely involved.
    Did the same as phpkid to recover my system. Disabled windows event log and hey presto everything working again. Not going to bother with the event log anymore, whats the point!
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Thanks ubman 1 for you post on December 23, 2008. Your fix worked for me. The ONLY other than thing I could do is boot to the black screen and bring up the sticky keys window. From there I could input "msconfig" in the address bar and one time out of 50 tries msconfig would come up. From there I dissabled all services and then I could boot. Twenty at a time I would enable services. Finally I enabled a service that put be back in the black screen hole. It was like the 80th service from the bottom.
    Now I am in the black screen issue again. After a day of doing the sticky keys thingy I was able to get into msconfig and disable all services. I was able to boot okay. Twenty at a time again I turn services on, rebooted, until I was back to the black screen issue. This time it was a service inbetween 110 and 115 services from the bottom.
    Then I was back into the issue. After trying many times to get back into msconfig, I ran across your fix while surfin with another computer. Again thanks, it worked.
    For everyone to note: I received black scren on boot. Could not get task manager up at all. Same thing in safe mode, although safe mode had the words "safe mode" in each corner. I was able to do a couple of system restores to an earlier date from the Vista DVD disk, but this did not help. Basicly I tried every fix ahead of ubman 1's and they did not work.
    So, for ME, his fix worked.
    Peace,
    kozman
    Windows Live Butterfly
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Thanks a million!!!!after trying everything out there for the same "bsod" this was the solution....bad logs...bad...bad...bad.
    It fixed my problem or shall I say VISTA problem..
    Thanks again.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Just Resolved this issue on a Vista laptop, the Sys Admin person added a Group Policy that killed all of the XP and Vista machines.  Some Vista machines where fixed using Recovery once the domain controllers had the Policy revoked.  I did not have a restore point so I tried the XP correction and it worked based on Ronnies notes above about how to edit the registry.

I guess that everyone but me knows this but a key thing to remember in Vista repair is that you are not looking at the real registry when you run RegEdit but at a special recovery registry, that is why you must load the Software hive from C: (the normal boot drive) as the recovery is on a vitrual drive X:.

Once you load the Software Hive into RegEdit (see Edit1 above) you are looking at your real registry, can edit it and save it back before saving.

The key to look for is (\\HKLM\) software\policies\microsoft\windows nt\DCOM if you open the key it mentions the word BAD (don't know what this means) but this key appears to tell the system that it has no permissions to run anything.   On XP the OS boots but cut'n'paste, email send and Internet Explorer all fail to work and this fixed it.  I don't know the  source of this info, someone at MS phone support told my Sys Admin.

Once that key is deleted and the Hive saved, in my case, Vista restarted and all is good!

Also, being well, unprepared I also had lost the Admin password and used this (http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/main.html) to reset it to blank, you have to read each prompt carefully as you run it to understand but it works.

Cheers and thanks for the posts above Ronnie.
    Alex
    • Edited by AlexDu Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:27 AM typo in reg key
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:26 AM
  • afther "Once you load the Software Hive into RegEdit (see Edit1 above) you are looking at your real registry, can edit it and save it back before saving."

you said "The key to look for is (\\HKLM\) software\policies\microsoft\windows nt\DCOM".

i've tried that (i think) but under windows nt i didnt find 'dcom'

Could you maybe explain how to 'look' for a key? is it just ctrl+f then type the above?

I've been struggeling with this ksod for days now. this is my last chance/hope to fix this. please answer quickly.

thanks in advance.

~ David.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 11:54 AM
  • I have a similar problem but mine doesn't happen during boot. It's intermittent and usually happens after the computer's been on for a few days and I try to lock it with Win-L. I then get the black screen with the cursor and can't log back in. This problem has been driving me nuts.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 8:32 PM
  • I don't have a shell option in WinNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

All I have is autorestartShell
    Background
    Chachedlogonscount
    DebugServer
    Disable CAD
    forceunlocklogon
    LegalNotice
    passwordexpiryw
    powerdownafter
    reportbootok
    scremoveoption
    shutdownFlags
    ShutdownWithout
    Userinit
    VmApplet
    WinStationsDisab

Sunday, May 03, 2009 5:48 PM
  • KSOD Black Screen of DEATH ! Try this FIX !  For the people that could not fix there pc's from the above solutions.

Backup Entire Computer to Image on External Hard Drive, Then get a pad of paper and log everything (back out plan):

While all attempts still failed for me.  I was able to turn on the administrator account and logon.  This by no means is the solution; but gives me something to think about. *see below

My problem appears to be a privileged problem, my clients user account is in the administrators group but does not have admin privileges to start some service.

Here is the link that i found for activating the administrator account: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_administrator_activate.htm

Here is what I tried so far:

NT Authority\Network Service - was already default
    Disable Services 5 at a time, restart pc each time until all were disabled.  KSOD everytime
    Safe Mode works everytime
    Tried new user account admin - KSOD everytime
    Removed, Disabled NVIDIA drivers, services, etc - KSOD everytime
    Removed Roxio - KSOD
    Removed Latest Updates, No Defender, Removed Yahoo, Google - Still KSOD's
    Removed all unecessary Registry startup items, plus msconfig disables - Still KSOD's

Nothing worked for KSOD's except enabling administrators account.  I will work on issue tomorrow, but I will not return to client this way, so if no permanent solution is found I will have to wipe computer and reinstall applications. as this is a paying customer and this solution is not an ideal fix.

*Okay: Update
    With Administrators account on, I went into Control Panel - User Accounts - Turned Off UAC and Restarted Computer.  I was then able to get into Owner-PC (administrator's group) account.

Next: cmd, type" Net User administrator /active:no " to disable administrator account then log off pc, or restart, then log on, it works !!!!

Now the cleanup process has to be done, fix everything that i turned off or uninstalled.

KingwoodPCRX.com
    Matt
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 2:33 AM
  • I managed to resolve this. The issue was caused by a Sophos AV "Expert" who when I was having problems installing Sophos he told me to remove the "Everyone" permission from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE

IDIOT!

But I followed his advice and then got the black screen.

To resolve I had to boot from a Vista disk as described above and open the command prompt

regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

load hive C:\Windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE

then I wasnlt able to add the permissions but I was able to tell it to get permissions from its parent

Unload the hive and reboot. Voila! Wasted a day and a half of my time and I was on the verge of reinstalling Vista. Without the help and tips I found here I never would have worked out how to solve my problem

Thanks
    Friday, May 08, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Hey Ubman1

Thank you so much for your post, I rarely reply to these solutions that I so often find online, but yours has saved my bacon BIG TIME!!

I spent 5 hrs trying everything mentioned in this thread and a few others and your solution worked a treat for me, thanks man, my whole livelihood is on this laptop and the prospect of a format and re-build was not an option to be taken lightly AND I have a deadline today so this would have screwed things up badly for me.

If you are ever in Edinburgh let me know as I owe you a few pints!!!!

Cheers

Mr HACCP
    http://www.haccpnow.co.uk
    Monday, May 18, 2009 10:14 AM
  • This Worked For Me!  I used Vista install disk >> repair computer >> command prompt.  Followed instructions per ubman1 and it totally worked. 

Just so you know my symptoms...

black screen at logon with mouse pointer  (no crtl + alt + del, no sticky keys to get explorer, no nothing worked)
    safe mode == same problems

Basically I tried everything you can find on the net (for 2 days now) nothing worked except for ubman1 fix. 

Amazing that Logs have the ability to crash your system, this was my last resort before a clean install.  Even had a second partition with Vista running fine, but I didnt want to transfer/backup all of my files from the corrupt partition (original)

THANKS UBMAN1

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:05 PM

• Sad thing, I have same problem tried all the suggestions above but none work.  I also tried ubman1 with eagreness to no avail.  I am running x64 version, and could live with rebuilding the O/S but now bothered it might reappear!
    ubman1
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Same problem last night... black screen with only the mouse cursor on  sight...

Safe mode the same.

Tried everything, until i read Ubman1 post... PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks a million.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Hi!
    I've encountered a very similar issue and I want to share my experience with you guys, this thread is great!

My Vista-32 bit laptop has been unfortunately run into a power loss during a system repair operation!
    It couldn't boot anymore, and always crashed after "crcdisk.sys" is loaded, with a BSOD (Stop 0x24, NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM).
    Using the recovery CD, I could launch "chkdsk /R /F C:" in a command prompt: nomore BSOD, no reset, but the infamous black screen with mouse pointer .
    No Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    No available restore points.
    No sticky keys available.
    Safe boot didn't work either (same black screen with mouse pointer)
    I tried your fixes:
    No problem with Winlogon Shell registry key (already explorer.exe)
    Renaming the event Logs directory didn't help.
    The RpcSs solution didn't apply either (NT AUTHORITY/NetworkService already)

Actually it was chkdsk's fault!
    As it was fixing my broken C: after the power loss, it resetted the permissions of every single file in the disc!
    "Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file <xxx>"

The solution is to fix all file permissions!

The recovery disk fortunately contains icacls.exe: all files in C: drive had a crippled ACL, limiting access to SYSTEM and Administrators; adding read+execute for users (icacls C:\* /grant builtin\users:(RX) /T) has made me go past the black screen to the logon screen! Things were still messed up since permissions in C:\Users were incorrect, and I had to fine tune permissions a few more times; I guess setting full control to everyone (icacls C:\* /grant everyone:(F) /T) would have made my laptop running fine faster. Maybe one of you guys know how to restore permissions to their correct value in a more clever way.

Note that you can easily backup your drive with the vista recovery CD with robocopy.
    • Proposed as answer by f_cava Monday, June 22, 2009 7:33 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:54 AM
  • I had the same problem.  Using the restore disk I was able to turn back the system before the OS update.  We have 6 identical machines.  I have set the other machine to NOT update.  What should I now do regarding the installing reccommended updates by microsoft.

Please advise... 
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:06 PM
  • All the same issues (no command prompt, safe mode not working).  However I'm using Vista x64 and the fix doesn't seem to work.  Does anyone know if the log structure is different and what the impact would be?

Thank you,
    Josh

Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Hi!
    I've encountered a very similar issue and I want to share my experience with you guys, this thread is great!

My Vista-32 bit laptop has been unfortunately run into a power loss during a system repair operation!
    It couldn't boot anymore, and always crashed after "crcdisk.sys" is loaded, with a BSOD (Stop 0x24, NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM).
    Using the recovery CD, I could launch "chkdsk /R /F C:" in a command prompt: nomore BSOD, no reset, but the infamous black screen with mouse pointer .
    No Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    No available restore points.
    No sticky keys available.
    Safe boot didn't work either (same black screen with mouse pointer)
    I tried your fixes:
    No problem with Winlogon Shell registry key (already explorer.exe)
    Renaming the event Logs directory didn't help.
    The RpcSs solution didn't apply either (NT AUTHORITY/NetworkService already)

Actually it was chkdsk's fault!
    As it was fixing my broken C: after the power loss, it resetted the permissions of every single file in the disc!
    "Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file <xxx>"

The solution is to fix all file permissions!

The recovery disk fortunately contains icacls.exe: all files in C: drive had a crippled ACL, limiting access to SYSTEM and Administrators; adding read+execute for users (icacls C:\* /grant builtin\users:(RX) /T) has made me go past the black screen to the logon screen! Things were still messed up since permissions in C:\Users were incorrect, and I had to fine tune permissions a few more times; I guess setting full control to everyone (icacls C:\* /grant everyone:(F) /T) would have made my laptop running fine faster. Maybe one of you guys know how to restore permissions to their correct value in a more clever way.

Note that you can easily backup your drive with the vista recovery CD with robocopy.
    Hi I didn't reach this point while I was reading all possible solutions, but I arrived at the same solution. Fortunatly on the same system I have 7 64 so I replaced the permission to all files to everyone. Probably not the better think, but it works.
    I thing that this case is helpful only if you have the "replacing invalid ...." message
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Ubman1,

Thank you for your clear, simple instructions. This fixed the problem with a Dell Studio 1737 running Vista which would only boot to black screen / white mouse in normal or safe modes, and the sticky key solution did not work. The computer keep insisting it was trying to restore from a previous restore point during the boot up.

Once your fix was applied I tried to create a new restore point. Both the create and restore buttons were greyed out. However after several minutes they became available and I was able to create a new restore point. The previous points were still present. I have not had a chance to look at the Logs_bad directory (folder).

Many thanks again.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:10 PM