none
Where can you find "Action Center" solutions?

Question

•   Does anyone know where to go to get the solutions that are flagged in the "Action Center"?

My Action centre tells me that it has solutions to a couple of issues that are plaguing my System 7 installation but each time I open it and click on "Solution" I get the message:

"Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later."

And yes, I am connected to the internet at the time.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 12:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Chopa9,

You may consider to search the solutions for the issues you encountered from Windows 7 Solution Center.

In addition, you may also run the following steps to check if Action Center can work normally.

Reset TCP/IP, proxy and DNS

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following commands, and press enter after each

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

NETSH  WINHTTP  RESET  PROXY

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

4. Restart the computer to check the issue.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you run Hijackthis and fix the items begin with O17. After that, please check if Action Center can connect to the Internet.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Chopa9,

I would like to suggest you disable antivirus program and check for solution in Clean Boot.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:11 AM
  •   I've tried with antivirus uninstalled with same results, I'll try Clean Boot tomorrow. Thanks for the link. :-)
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Hi Chopa9,

I would like to confirm the result in Clean Boot.

In addition, you may refer to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting and run the troubleshooters to fix the issues which were unable to download the solutions.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:20 AM
  •  Hi Arthur_Li,

First I disabled AVG anti-virus. 

Then I went through the whole Clean Boot procedure Steps 1-7 trying to access "Action Center solution" each step of the way. Same result each time:

This solution could not be downloaded

Most likely causes:

• Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later.

I also tried the Troubleshooter route you suggested with the following result:

Internet Connections
    Publisher details

No issues detected
    Detection details
    Expand
    Informational
    Network Diagnostics Log
    File Name: 5DD24B47-26FB-4C07-83D1-6E093CEEC364.Diagnose.Admin.0.etl
    Informational
    Other Networking Configuration and Logs
    File Name: NetworkConfiguration.cab
      I can only conclude that the problem lies in a Microsoft service that is not accessible to the Clean Boot routine, or the Action Center solution is simply unreachable.
      Can you tell me the address for the action center solutions so that I may try connecting to it directly, either via the troubleshooter routine or via browser please?

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Hi Chopa9,

You may consider to search the solutions for the issues you encountered from Windows 7 Solution Center.

In addition, you may also run the following steps to check if Action Center can work normally.

=====================

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you run Hijackthis and fix the items begin with O17. After that, please check if Action Center can connect to the Internet.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Hi Chopa9,

You may consider to search the solutions for the issues you encountered from Windows 7 Solution Center .

=====================

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT

I am at a loss why someone from Microsoft would throw this issue (clearly one directly within Windows 7) away and not provide a real solution , instead offering a 3rd party program that they don't even sanction for a solution.

Resetting the IP, Proxy and DNS has nothing to do with it. That's smoke and mirrors. Obviously if the people encountering this problem are posting here, they have sufficient inet capability.

Now, *please* address the real problem with Window 7 being unable to download solutions in Action Center to a problem with Nvidia cards and BSOD.

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Still waiting for a response. Please address the issue with a proper fix.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I am having the same issues have been for about 4 months, I have posted in multiple forums looking for help only to have smoke blown up my.....
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:16 PM
  • In order to fix the issue we need to identify the root cause, for which some information is required.

1) are you connecting on corporate network or at home?

2) Have you tried HiJackThis as previously suggsted. To explain what it does: It's written by a leading Anti-Virus Vendor Trend Micro and will identify key changes from Windows default of key system files/registry settings. It will list information that is OK (i.e. changes made to install Anti-Virus software) but the info can be looked at to identify any items that may impact your system.

3) Some additional information can be collected to help identify the cause of problem

a) Try Process Monitor http://live.sysinternals.com/procmon.exe and run this while repeating your problem. Then stop logging and save PML file. If I can get a copy then I can look at it to help find cause

b) Use Windows 7 built in network logging to find cause:

1) Open command prompt as administrator (I type cmd into start search bar then press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Enter) The window should have 'Administrator' in the title

2) From command prompt run command

netsh trace start capture=yes report=yes

3) Repeat your problem , trying to download update

4) When done run command

netsh trace stop

This will create a file called NetTrace.cab if I can get copy can look at this to identify potential causes.

regards,

Malcolm.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:58 AM
  • If all the above suggestions fail, don't forget one thing to keep in mind: If "checking for solutions" fails and doesn't offer anything, it may simply be that your issue isn't happening too often, and the database doesn't contain any help. Think of the billions of possible hardware/software configurations that exist, and you should understand that. Usually, a Bing/Google search will get you faster - though not "authorized" - solutions.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Hello

Here is my copy of NetTrace.cab

It started shortly after Windows 7 came out - and seems to have been caused by an update.

Friday, August 13, 2010 11:30 AM
  • If all the above suggestions fail, don't forget one thing to keep in mind: If "checking for solutions" fails and doesn't offer anything, it may simply be that your issue isn't happening too often, and the database doesn't contain any help. Think of the billions of possible hardware/software configurations that exist, and you should understand that. Usually, a Bing/Google search will get you faster - though not "authorized" - solutions.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    In that case it would return "No solutions could be found", and not "Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later."
    Friday, August 13, 2010 11:34 AM
    In that case it would return "No solutions could be found", and not "Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later."

Are we *really* back to saying that this is due to a lack of internet access?

Logic tells you that if I am here reading this and posting to this that I am very much "connected". This is not a one in a billion problem either, as many people continue to post about this problem and get no response even though the exact scenarios are taking place.

Friday, August 13, 2010 3:36 PM

Are we *really* back to saying that this is due to a lack of internet access?

Logic tells you that if I am here reading this and posting to this that I am very much "connected". This is not a one in a billion problem either, as many people continue to post about this problem and get no response even though the exact scenarios are taking place.

No, we're not as this message isn't about a lack of internet access in general - its about the Action Centre thinking there is : ergo a bug...
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:15 PM
  • You NVIDIA people don't have to feel alone. It's an ATI problem as well. I get to see a bsod with atikmdag.sys
     several times a day.  Action Center says I'm not connected to the internet, yet here I am typing on a forum.

I spent a lot of money on Win7 Ultimate on a once stable computer. The worst job in the world must be being a tech for Microsoft. It's not the techs fault. Microsoft once again, puts out an OS with unfixable bugs. I've tried all the fixes listed in these two forums, to no avail. Looks like I'm forced to reformat ONCE AGAIN to downgrade to XP, until Microsoft gets off it's behind to fix what could be a fantastic OS.

Google atikmdag.sys error, or the Nvidia equivalent, and just see if it's some isolated problem. It's not.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:53 PM
  • I have a NVIDIA card, and I am having the same problems as Chopa 9. I want to keep Windows 7, but will this problem grow into something larger? Will my whole computer get ruined due to the graphics card having problems?
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:07 PM
  • Hello all.

I am having the same problem. Numerous crashes with an nVidia GTS-250 card. Some BSODs, citing nvlddmkm.sys, pcw.sys, and cng.sys. Mine tend to occur during StarCraft II. But all the errors int he Action Center give me the "solution could not be downloaded". Obviously I have internet access.

I am looking to Microsoft on this - you have hundreds of instances of this error being investigated SOMEWHERE. What is the error? Or is the Action Center pointing us to an outside Microsoft does not control that is being blocked, so it is giving a return code that looks like a downed internet connection? Or is it going thru a port that most firewalls block? This is not rocket science here...

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Ok folks... as you can see, multiple people are having the *same* issue. It is a *known* issue with Action Center and yet we go around and around in the same circles asking us to use unsanctioned, non-certified applications to identify a Windows related issue. Can we have someone who can "play jazz" and help resolve the issue? We all obviously have internet connections. The problem seems to be specific to issues related to graphics cards as a whole and how Action Center then fails to check the issue online properly. I would suggest attacking the problem first with Action Center as this seems to be the tie that binds us all together. Next would be individually how Windows 7 is interacting with the various video cards. As the problem seems to span across ATI/NVIDIA cards, and I can assure you we all have up to date drivers for our cards, can we please have someone address the problem that obviously exists *within* Windows 7 (and specifically the Action Center's handling of the problems)? 

Thank you again for your timely response to this thread and any help you can be.

Monday, August 23, 2010 7:51 PM
  • I don't know if this will work, but ever since I downloaded this, nothing bad has happened:

http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/

Select Graphics Cards, then select your series (mine was GeForce 8/9 Series), select OS, and download it.

I don't know if this really makes a difference yet in the long run. I thought when I first made this computer, and installed Windows, that it had automatically downloaded the correct driver software. Maybe it already did download the correct software, and this is another issue as WindowsAddict implies, but so far, so good with the download. I will try to post later on my status after the download.

• Edited by Josh Kemm Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:11 AM select OS,
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Thanks Josh but those drivers did not help me. Some things I have done that have minimized the impact - but NOT fixed the problem are:

1. In Adjust Visual Effects turn OFF all Animate options

2. Disable Aero Peek and Disable Transparency

3. Uninstall NVidia's 3D software

4. Enable CPU for PhysX

5. Lowered video settings on StarCraft II to Med and disabled 3D portraits

I still crash but much less often the past 24 hours. I will keep this forum approsed if these things help.

BUT, I am running a GTS-250 with 1GB of ram on a Win 7-64bit machine with 8GB of DDR3 w/an AMD Phenom II 965 (3.4 GHz)...I should not have to mimize my settings so badly.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Your welcome, and sorry it didn't work for you. So far, everything has been fine for me, so it might have made a difference for me. Hope you find the problem's source.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:09 AM
  • I have never been so frustrated IN my life..I have literally not gone about my normal day to day activities in hope of being able to resolve this issue which keeps crashin my computer and for some reason Microsoft cannot offer a solution to this problem..I've only been tryin for a couple of weeks so I can imagine what the rest of you guys out there must be feelin.I do hereby vouch to never purchase a Microsoft product again in my LIFE!!

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Thank you, Arthur. I tried the solution, however, it has not resolved the issue. In fact I get no O17 items from HiJackThis.

Have any other ideas?

Is there a way to find out the ID of the solution it is trying to get?

Perhaps if we could get that information it might be easier to resolve this. Most forum posts I've seen about these issues are relating to the exact same problem. This makes me think it is an issue not with our network connection, but actually with the "solution".

Is it possible that these are false positives and there is not really a solution to our problem?

Saturday, October 30, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Well this is still ongoing in 2011??? seems so.

Monday, February 28, 2011 9:18 AM
  • I've been having this exact problem for a few months now.  I finally got tired of it and started to poke around for the solution.  I have an ATI card in my Dell Laptop.  It started to blue-screen Win7 x64 Home Premium back in December.

Windows displays the same message "Consider sending more information about a problem with ATI display driver"  - the whole message doesn't display in the box, it also contains the text "Hewlett-Packard is interested in gathering additional feedback"

When I click the "view message details" button I then see...

("Opening Solution...")

This solution could not be downloaded:   Most likely causes:  Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time.  Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later."

I've tried disabling my virus scanner (McAfee) - that didn't help.

I then Archived the message.  Upon opening it the message "This message was hidden from the Action Center"  And all it says "There was a problem with the ATI graphics driver... [blah blah]"

Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:01 AM
  • I've been getting the same problem with my nVidia and the so-called solution that can't be downloaded because I'm not on line....  at the same time I'm writing this actually.  It's infuriating - especially since you guys have had the problem since last year.  Why doesn't MS just admit.  It doesn't know and it doean't care too much!
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Same problem here:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 + Nvidia.

I have seen the BSOD´s before also with the "nvlddmkm.sys" (nVidia driver). But that was perhaps once a month and didnt care to do anything about it. Now after applying SP1 it seems to come every 1-2 days, and I have the exact same issues as you guys, Action Center cannot download solution. Network for sharing, internet, etc works just fine.

This computer runs as a media center 24x7 and no changes are done to the configuration except Windows patches. I did try to upgrade the nVidia driver after SP1 and the first 2-3 BSOD´s but no luck.

Sad to see that after buying such an expensive license that problems like this go unresolved for so long.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:56 PM
  • I also have the problem. I just noticed this flag and got the same problem y'all are having. I don't know if it's related, but a few days ago, my screen blacked out, then came back and in the system tray it said something about the graphics driver crashing, and it recovered successfully. Then it blacked out like 3 more times. I restarted the computer, came back, and same thing after 5 minutes, then it froze. Since then I have had no problems though. At the time I was downloading, which I've heard is a common thing people are doing when it happens. Anyways, maybe 2 different problems, I don't know.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 3:40 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem with the nVidia drivers on Windows 7 32 bit. I just installed the latest driver from nVidia four days ago (a CERTIFIED driver!) and am still getting a BSOD. And exactly the same 'solution could not be downloaded' messages as everyone else.

Maybe MS will have a fix by July. Hah!

Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:07 PM
  • I have read through this thread with interest, and I think that the Action Center is a 'red herring'.  Your real  problem is the BSOD.  Concentrate on fixing that without the Action Center (which is flawed).  It sometimes works, but the only error it ever returns is the "can't connect to internet" one.

So forget the AC, fix the BSOD!

Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Add my computer to the bunch... get the same "error" every time ... it flags "there is a solution available"... and when I click to get it...
  • Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later.

My "solution" is probably to show me an "empty solution" i.e. there is NON to show... because every time I manually have to push the reset button is when windows starts up without any graphics output... i.e. black screen ... but there is sync and signal out... monitor is happy that is (but black screen)... I can log in blindly sometimes... so I reset it... get a dump... and a proposed NON retrievable solution as per above.

Win 7 Home 64 bit

ATI 5830 card

4 Gbyte mem

And still waiting for Microsoft to respond with a solution or at least an error number so I can trace whats wrong with Action Center.. because something amiss.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:51 PM
  • *******************************************SOLUTION***************************************************
    GUYS AS FRUSTRATING AS IT MAY BE THAT M.S CANT EVEN HELP US WITH THEIR OWN OS, AND JUST GIVE US SMOKE AND MIRRORS SUCH AS RESETTING DNS ETC TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE TRYING. THE FIX FOR THIS SOLUTION, REGARDING THE NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS CRASHING, THERE IS AN UPDATE DRIVER WHICH WAS RELEASED BACK ON THE
    8 SEP 2011, THIS WILL FIX YOUR BSOD.
    *******************************************SOLUTION***************************************************
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:42 AM
  • *******************************************SOLUTION***************************************************
    GUYS AS FRUSTRATING AS IT MAY BE THAT M.S CANT EVEN HELP US WITH THEIR OWN OS, AND JUST GIVE US SMOKE AND MIRRORS SUCH AS RESETTING DNS ETC TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE TRYING. THE FIX FOR THIS SOLUTION, REGARDING THE NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS CRASHING, THERE IS AN UPDATE DRIVER WHICH WAS RELEASED BACK ON THE
    8 SEP 2011, THIS WILL FIX YOUR BSOD.
    *******************************************SOLUTION***************************************************
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:43 AM
    GUYS AS FRUSTRATING AS IT MAY BE THAT M.S CANT EVEN HELP US WITH THEIR OWN OS, AND JUST GIVE US SMOKE AND MIRRORS SUCH AS RESETTING DNS ETC TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE TRYING. THE FIX FOR THIS SOLUTION, REGARDING THE NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS CRASHING, THERE IS AN UPDATE DRIVER WHICH WAS RELEASED BACK ON THE 8 SEP 2011, THIS WILL FIX YOUR BSOD.

MIGHT BE SAME SOLUTION FOR ATI

YES IT DOESNT FIX SOLUTION CENTER BUT ATLEAST YOU WONT GET BSOD IN THE MEANTIME

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:44 AM
  • I have the same problem "NVIDIA Graphics Driver has stopped working ...." and have found some improvment in the graphics performance by updating the bios on my graphics card. I have not found a solution to access the Windows Solution Centre. I don't believe there is a solution thier or it has been incorrectly posted so that the systems like ours are lead to think there is a solution but data can not be retrieved.

I now have; Win 7 Pro 64 bit and Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 with a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti, NVIDIA graphics card (VGA BIOS v GV-N560OC-1GI F31).

The problem "graphics card fails to respond" as reported by Windows,  still occures from time to time and more so when I a playing Battlefield BC 2 or BF3. Sometimes the screen will freeze and I need to cold reboot, other times I get BSD and rarely the system recovers with out crashing. The Graphics card bios update helped a lot. Before it would crash withing 2-3 minutes of the game starting now I can play for 2-4 hours.

Hope this info helps some.

Monday, December 19, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Ok, I tried something that I had thought I had already tried. I set my Outpost Firewall to 'Allow All'. Got every single Action Center message FINALLY. I did not think that it was the firewall, cause normally a window pops up saying if something is blocked. Going to put it back on Auto-Learn mode next time & see if it catches what proggy in Action Center is being blocked. If anyone knows what exact program name/exe/windows file, Action Center uses to access the internet for answers, please post it here. Whatever Firewall you have, Windows 7 built in or other, set it temporarily to Allow All or OFF. With PC Stop's Firewall I had to completely UN-install it to get a program past it. Left it UN-installed & went to Outpost Free Security Suite/Custom install/Firewall Only. Make sure your Anti-Virus/Anti Mal-ware programs are already installed. Turn off EVERYTHING in Outlook Suite Free Settings EXCEPT for the Firewall. I am off to try to find out what exe or whatever it was blocking in Action Center-Get Answer...Wish me luck.
    • Proposed as answer by isepiq Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Same problem here with Windows 8 Pro, Windows Defender antivirus/antispyware and Windows firewall.

A clean installation of Windows 8 Pro.

The message:

This solution could not be downloaded
    Most likely causes:
    Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later.

Also note that this message is in English while my Windows 8 Pro is in Italian.

Gianni

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Can you believe these problems still exist 4 yrs after the original post, and still no solution. MS are supposed to be world leaders in their class but it amazes me how much they don't fix. So anyway, I'm getting BSOD now whenever I do anything more complex than ms office. Crashes are so frequent its only a matter of time before it kills my system. Does anyone have a fix for the action center yet? I've tried every solution available but nothing helps, the latest drivers even make it worse. I'm only using a geforce 210 as its mainly a work PC with 2nd monitor, but whenever I play wizard 101 or similar with my child I get BSOD. Just wondered if a decent answer was ever offered,  as the AC solution is the only one I haven't tried, due to being unable to access it!
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:37 AM