none
Unable to display current owner

Question

• Hello. I have windows 7 Home premium, and I am trying to delete a file on me hard drive, D:. It is not a system file or anything specifically important, it is a launcher for a video game. A few days ago the file disappeared, so I downloaded a replacement. Everything worked fine. Now all of a sudden, without changing anything, this is my computer and I am the only person who has ever been on it, I do not have permission to delete the file. Under the "securities" tab there is a note saying "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings." If I click on "Advanced" I get the same message in all windows except the "Owner" tab. In the "Owner" tab the "Current Owner" line says "Unable to display current owner." If I try to change the owner from the "Edit" window, I get the error: " Unable to change owner on APBLauncher. Access is denied."

I have done a lot of research into the issue to find out how to solve it. So far, nothing has worked. I receive the same messages if I am logged into the "hidden" administrator account. I have used takeown commands, I have used Lockhunter, I have used "take ownership" commands implanted into the GUI, nothing has worked.

Any help in solving this problem would be very much appreciated. I have seen no benefits from W7 and vista over XP, and even W2000, these operating systems have become beyond inconvenient.

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you try to use Icacls command to grant the administrator account full permission on this specific file:

icacls filepath  /grant   administrators:F

Please kindly refer to the following article:

Icacls

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you try to use Icacls command to grant the administrator account full permission on this specific file:

icacls filepath  /grant   administrators:F

Please kindly refer to the following article:

Icacls

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I have a similar problem and tried the solution you suggested but it doesn't help. In my case it's not a file but a folder that is affected.

At the command line it still reports Access denied. I have administrative rights on my computer and I ran the command line (cmd.exe) as administrator to be on the safe side.

Funny enough: I created the folder and now I cannot even look at the content via Windows explorer or command line (using dir).

Friday, November 25, 2011 10:18 PM