none
Ctrl, Alt, Del, resulting in failure to display security and shut down options

Question

• When every i press Ctrl+ Alt + Del on my acer 5742 the screen will turn black then a error message pops up saying "failure to display security and shut down options. The logon process was unable to display security and lofon options when CTRL + ALT + DEL was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch." I press Esc and it goes back to my desktop but all other programs become unresponsive. I am unable to open any programs. I try to shutdown but it goes to the "waiting for programs to close" page and says "waiting for program... explorer.exe to close. Playing logoff sound." At this point the computer becomes completely unresponsive and pressing force shutdown has no effect. I have run multiple antivirus and malware scanners but none have picked up a virus. I have started the computer in safe mode and everything works fine. I can access multiple programs and start task manager. I am running on Windows 7 x64 and was wondering if this is a viral problem, software, or hardware, and if it is one of the above, how can i solve it?
    Monday, January 21, 2013 6:49 PM

Answers

All replies