none
Why is half my desktop missing?

Question

• When I boot into RC1 normally I get the splash screen, then a minute or two later, I see the desktop with the fish but no icons, no toolbar and no Start Button.  I know that Win7 has loaded because I have Speech Recognition loaded and when I speak into the microphone I can hear the sounds associated with the commands 'Start Listening' and 'Stop Listening'.

If I use the 'Use Last Known Configuration' option the computer shows a Welcome screen after the splash screen and then opens the Win7 desktop with all my icons and the taskbar showing.

I can get a bootlog file if I open Windows 'normall'y but not if I use the 'Last Known Good Configuration' option which is my only way of getting Win7 to work, so I cannot compare the two to see if there are any differences.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where the problem lies?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 12:45 PM

Answers

• I agree.  After a lot more hassle trying to re-install RC1 I tried another, much older, monitor with only an analogue input and found no problem re-installing RC1 and booting into Win7.  When I reconnected my normal monitor, and both analogue and digital inputs, I could not boot into Win 7, the process hung after the desktop picture was displayed, but no icons appeared.  After I switched off I disconnected the digital input cable to the monitor and switched on again and I now appear to have a working Win7.  It will be a little while yet before I decide that the problem is solved, but I am hopeful.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• I was wondering the same thing,I have a recycle bin on the desktop...period.
    It seems everything is in the start panel that would need to be accessed by windows..
    Also at the bottom where quick launch used to be you notice 3 icons...everything is able to be accessed there as well...
    It seems everything is simpler and more confusing and will be taking a bit of time to become accustomed to the user interphase.
    I have had this build 7100RC installed for 6 days and seem to be getting it down pretty well.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:17 PM
  • It seems I'm facing the same problem using the RC1, k0065126, and didn't find a solution yet.
    After the, as you name it, splash screen, two possibilities. Either the welcome screen wil appear or a black screen. In case of the welcome screen everyting goes right and works fine, but in case of the black screen, after a while only the background and gadgets appear on my system; no windows orb, no icons, no systembar or whatever, nothing.
    The only thing I can do in the last case  is pushing ctrl alt del and the screen is immediately turning into black. Then it only remains for me to push the powerbutton for a short while and the system shuts down.
    Restarting then delivers not the screen where I can choose for normal or save mode or so. Restarting then goes directly in normal mode, but again I have to wait wether the welcome screen wil appear or the black one.

Tried to reinstall the W7 RC1 as upgrade, but that gave no solution.

Using the build 7000, there was not such a problem, as I described, at all.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:23 PM
  • After some browsing around here, I remembered that I'd connected my monitorscreen and desktop with two datacables. After Disconnecting one cable, the problem seems to be solved on my system. I have it still disconnected and everything goes smooth. Maybe I'll try to connect it oncemore as a test.

Still stands, why there were no troubles with my connection using the W7 Beta.

Anyway I can go on testing, now this basic problem seems/is solved.

Take a look at your own datacable(s) may be it helps.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:41 PM
  • I agree.  After a lot more hassle trying to re-install RC1 I tried another, much older, monitor with only an analogue input and found no problem re-installing RC1 and booting into Win7.  When I reconnected my normal monitor, and both analogue and digital inputs, I could not boot into Win 7, the process hung after the desktop picture was displayed, but no icons appeared.  After I switched off I disconnected the digital input cable to the monitor and switched on again and I now appear to have a working Win7.  It will be a little while yet before I decide that the problem is solved, but I am hopeful.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion but it does not look like the same problem, mine seems to be that if I connect my monitor using both the digital and analogue inputs then RC1 will not boot properly.  Connecting only the analogue input solves the problem.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:00 AM
  • I think my problem is solved now...(however? I hope so).

Between my monitor and desktop, there was a third connection cable. Cable with (in my case) blue plugs.
    After unplugging that one I could reconnect  aswell the digital as analogue at te the same time. Made several starts en restarts, tried also sleep function and so one and had no more monitor problems.

Found out that the one with the blue plugs is meant for an extra monitor.....and not as a third connection.

Might be you have the same issue k0065126.

Success! 

Friday, May 15, 2009 11:37 AM