none
Windows 7 (32-bit) Installation Error 0xc00000e9

Question

• I've tried to install Windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron 6400.
    When windows is loading setup files I get this error.

"Windows had encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer. This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive ......"

info: An unexpected I/O error has occured

I don't have any USB device connected on my laptop.
    Does anyone know a solution for this problem?

Thanks,
    Adriaan
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:46 PM

Answers

• OK. I've solved this problem by burning the Windows 7 iso file again on a lower speed (in stead of 8x, i burned it on 2x).
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:53 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same problem, but with a normal PC.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:16 PM
  • OK. I've solved this problem by burning the Windows 7 iso file again on a lower speed (in stead of 8x, i burned it on 2x).
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:53 PM
  • I have the same issue with W7. A real Vista DVD does boot. I made two disks and same issue. I guess I can try going from 4x to 2x. The image works in Virtual machine just fine. Guess it could be an overburn issue.

Thought it might be an issue with an add-on usb card.???

Wonder too since my test system is a dell. Some odd bios issue?

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:39 PM
  • I had this error. Errors are almost always erroneous, as far as verbatim interpretation.
    It said a piece of hardware had been disconected after initialization, or something like that.

System: Dell Optiplex 755, BIOS A10

Went into the BIOS and changed the "SATA Operation" setting from "RAID Autodetect / AHCI" to "RAID Autodetect / ATA".
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:57 PM
  • OK. I've solved this problem by burning the Windows 7 x64 7100 iso file again on a lower speed 5x aprox with alcohol
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:25 AM
  • The slower burn at 2x did not help me.  The dvd boots ok on another system I have so I know it's usable otherwise - just not on the system I need.  Will try going into the BIOS I guess - jeez MS... can't we make this easier?
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Hi all,

I too had this same 0xc00000e9 error with a Windows 7 installation CD that I knew worked, because I had used it to install on my Desktop and another Laptop however it would not work on my Laptop.

However! Burning a new CD with Windows 7 on has worked (I used IMGBurn). So I guess it just didnt like that CD!

So if you are having this error:

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

Then try burning a new Image of Windows onto a fresh CD and try that, as mine is now working perfectly.

Hope it works for you, and if it does, then let us know!
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:15 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem trying to install 32 bit Windows 7 (clean install) to my system. I ended up disconnecting everything except the drive, dvd, mouse, keyboard, and display adapter-in other words, the basics. I still got the error. Then I put the 64 bit dvd installer into the drive and restarted another install. This time NO ERROR. Hope this helps someone. Well, either the dvd wasn't being read properly or I'm wondering if the io error was memory related(?).

There are NO failures-only incomplete succeses
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:42 AM
  • I had this error. Errors are almost always erroneous, as far as verbatim interpretation.
    It said a piece of hardware had been disconected after initialization, or something like that.

System: Dell Optiplex 755, BIOS A10

Went into the BIOS and changed the "SATA Operation" setting from "RAID Autodetect / AHCI" to "RAID Autodetect / ATA".

Thanks Jeff, changing to ATA as you described solved it for me too!

:)
    Mojo
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:41 AM
  • I had the same problem on my Windows 7 machine, the problem was i have 4 HD on my machine and they were all close together. I serparated them and this fix the problem. Looks like my HD with the OS on it overheated and it was causing this error.

Friday, April 29, 2011 3:02 AM
  • I got this from the Original installation DVD - not something I burned.
    See other threads.

Solution: Sell the POC to some poor mug on eBay and buy a Mac

Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:46 PM
  • you haven't solved SQAT indiot
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Apple was never alive. jobs just joined it dip shit
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 1:25 AM