none
Black Screen on startup

Question

• I've looked on these forums and I can't find the answer so i'll post the question. Sorry if this is a double post. I don't really know if this is the right area to post this or not let me know if there is a better area. Here we go:

I restarted my computer and it got stuck on a black screen, when the logon screen was supposed to be (the screen where you pick the user to logon). But the screen isn't completely black. On the corners is various text. It says Windows Vista Build 5700. The cursor moves but the keyboard does not respond.

This was a fresh install. I have been using RC1 for a month now or so, whenever it came out to previous CPP people.
    Here's my info:
    P4 3.0, 1G RAM, 2SATA HD, GeForce FX 5200

If you have an idea or something please let me know.
    Thank you,
    GCRaya
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 12:36 AM

Answers

• I fised it. I just booted to the last knowen good configuartion. Then it worked. I don't know what caused it but its all better now.
    Friday, October 20, 2006 4:37 AM

All replies

• I fised it. I just booted to the last knowen good configuartion. Then it worked. I don't know what caused it but its all better now.
    Friday, October 20, 2006 4:37 AM
  • Good it' solved.

Good luck

Friday, October 20, 2006 6:32 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  Can not log into Vista at all.  Everytime I tell it to boot to the last known good configuration, the same black screen appears.  I have tried booting it in Safe Mode with no luck.  I am out of options and need help please.

Thanks,

Jordan

HP zd8000

P4 # 3.0 GHz

1 GB RAM

ATI Radeon x600 Mobility

Windows Vista

Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:45 PM
  • I have been using Vista for a couple of months, and now I am getting the same problem.  I have tried the restore which does not help.  I have even tried remote desktoping into the system.  The result is the same black screen.

Build 5600

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob Sanders

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:28 PM
  • I was able to restore the system by booting into safe mode and doing a system restore from the previous day.  It appears that a windows update was performed that may have caused the issue.  It is working now.

Bob

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Anyone had any firther luck with this?

We were running fine on Vista for a couple of months, but then we experienced this same problem a couple of weeks ago. After messing around the entire day, eventually reformatted, and re-installed fresh. This resolved the problem.

All was fine for about a week. Then yesterday, logged on, and the problem is back.

Tried the system restore

Tried the last known good configuration

Tried the repair.

Nothing helped.

Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL responds, and so does CTRL-ALT-ESC.  Apart from that the screen is entirely black.

There is no task bar, no side bar, no start menu. Right-clicking on ther black screen does nothing. Pressing the windows key on the keyboard does nothing (was hoping for a start menu to materialise)

OK, but we can run things by pressing CTRL-ALT-ESC and using the 'New Task' button, then typing commands that we know of, such a MSConfig (Oddly enough - every app I have managed to get into like this works fine without any errors!)

Form here, I deactivated everything I could see (Services, Startup, etc), and chose every option for logging , no GUI, etc, so I could see what was going on.

Rebooted, could see DLL's loading. Got to log on screen. Logged on. Takes quite a long time with the Welcome screen (does not tell me what it's trying to load in the background)... same problem still.

There is now barely anything running (No services, no 3rd party software which I though might be the cause), so it seems to be something really low level causing the problem.

This was a machine specially purchased for the purpose of running Vista, and all hardware was supposed to be Vista compatible.

Some more info: using a domain and roaming profiles. Logging on as this user on another XP machine works fine. Logging on as another user (domain user or local user) both work fine on the Vista machine.

This same user seems to run OK for a while before developing the problem. The problem is consistent every time (once it starts hapenning, that's it, you can't sometimes get in and sometimes not) All latest patches have been aplied. Doesn't seems to be related to the applying of a patch, as the problem started just before the latest updates were approved for installation.

Anyone got any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

Maya

• Proposed as answer by Elsa Haughton Friday, August 14, 2009 6:21 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:43 AM
  • I've been using Vista for a few weeks now, unfortunately. The only reason I'm using this god awful operating system is that I need to repair Vista systems.

I haven't found a permanent fix yet, but it seems to be related to an update, possibly NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA or Silicon Images Pseudo Processor Device. If you've run into this issue and have recently installed these updates from Microsoft, please make it known. My temporary fix is to open the task manager, click file, click New Task, and type in explorer.exe then hit ok. This should finish loading windows.

There seems to be a problem loading all the services after these updates. On another note the repair function isn't able to detect my OS after these updates. Hope this helps. I'll try to post a permanent fix after I figure this out.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 6:04 AM
  • i have a similar problem and will post here hoping for a solution ...

symptoms:

my computer boots fine, i log in and only see a blank desktop background with my documents folder open.  cant right click on the desktop at all.  i have to ctrl+alt+delete .. i see explorer.exe running but there is no start menu or icons or sidebar.  i relaunch explorer.exe from the New Task option and walla! here i am, using vista like a pro.

I am running vista business and I did an upgrade from xp home.  I work in the IT department and am the first to test this in our office and so far I must say that no one here is upgrading to Vista with a problem like this..

any one else get this problem?  i would think 90% of the people out there wouldn't know how to get as far as CompGuru and I have...

i use the same fix that CompRepairGurus suggested, by by re-launching explorer.exe ... why do we have to do this? 

i see an explorer.exe already running, is this the XP version of explorer runnin?

Monday, May 14, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Im having almost the same problem.  The difference is that I get the load screen and when it should switch to the login screen all I get is black.

Ive been running vista on this system for a solid 2 months with no real problems... a few lockups while playing games that have since been resolved with vid driver updates... but thats it.  However, 2 days ago it decided not to boot anymore.    Ive tried to boot into safemode but it hangs after the drivers are loaded, last driver to load is crcdisk.sys.   Ive also tried safemode w/ command prompt, same deal... it stops after loading crcdisk.sys

I tried updating the bios on the system w/ no effect.  Ive read proly over 100 posts and seen thousand's more where people have been running vista fine for months then here just recently they are experiancing a black screen death. 

I havent installed anything since my last sucessful boot a week ago (hardly ever turn off my system unless a storm is comming).   No one seems to have any idea what is causing this, though some suspect a MS update... though I havent applied any myself.  If anyone figures out whats going on please post the solution on any forum you can find.  Many of us are fustrated beyond belief.

Sys Specs

AMD 64FX

ASUS M2N32-SLI Delux  (Nforce chipset)

2Gig Corsair XMS ram

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX

2x 200Gig Seagate Baracude HDD (SATA) in RAID 0

BFG PhysX card

1kW power supply

All stock settings, no over clocking

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:00 PM
  •  lono wrote:

i have a similar problem and will post here hoping for a solution ...

Same issue.  Some workaround.  No solution.  Any ideas?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:09 PM
  •  

Please see Spydawn or SpyLock spyware.

Reformat works as well.  

Why is it I never get any answers here?

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Thanks for this temporary fix. For some reason windows is not loading. Did you find a permanent fix yet? If so let me know.

Thanks

Joe D

Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:12 PM
  • I had the same problem a couple of days ago.. I formated and reinstaled every thing.. It worked fine, but I was wondering.. I had this peoblem after updating my windows..Did anybody try to uninstal the lasts windows updates?
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:41 PM
  • An update,  My powersupply was going out, but didnt know until it started throwing fire and sparks.  As a result I cant get vista to run or install stabally on a RAID set up.  Im pretty sure the MoBo is farked from the powersupply spike.   Since my setup was working farily stable for the previous 3 months or so, I can only assume that the problem was hardware rather than software.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:37 AM
  • Same problem after a windows update. But does someone know how to uninstall the last windows update ?
    Friday, June 08, 2007 6:43 PM
  • after couple of months using vista business on 2GIG ram, I then installed another 2x512MB RAM... Guessed what? I've got the black screen back. Is there anyway to bypass this ?
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:23 AM
  • Your approach is the only one that works for me.  I guess Apple will be running a new set of commercials soon with everyone experiencing the same problem.
    Saturday, August 04, 2007 1:50 AM
  • Hey WestonD,

Did you end up finding a solution?
    I have the same Motherboard, RAM, and Hard drive setup.

I am running dual boot Vista and XP.

Both get to the windows load screen and when they are about to go to the logon screen black screen.

I did load the vista dvd, and did a repair the first time, it did detect proplems with the start up, and said it would fix and reboot, and just stopped at a dos screen with the cursor flashing, after a reboot the system booted fine!

after running XP for a little while, it froze again, and apon reboot same problem was back.  I thought oh well, vista DVD again.. Vista disc goes to load and the background comes up but the dialog box doesnt.

Ever since I have gotten this motherboard when I goto do a BIOS update and reboot, XP BSOD's, put the BIOS back and it boots normally, the only way it seems to let me do a bios update is if I re-install xp from scratch. Thats another problem.
    Although after bios update, vista boots fine. Just XP BSOD's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

ValTrum
    Monday, August 06, 2007 11:15 PM
  • I am getting the same problem.  Black screen upon startup with a solitary documents window opnened up.  I am able to put a background image up, but I have no desktop icons or start menu.  Right clicking on the dektop does nothing.  Going to try the iexplorer fix, but there has to be some alternative to having to do this everytime one reboots.  Any one find out why it is doing this in the first place?

Friday, August 17, 2007 12:15 PM
  •  

I ended up finding my issue, one of my 8 hard drives was dropping off for what ever reason, and when the machine started to freeze, I ran cmd.exe and tried to go through my drives, and found out which one it was.. unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it seems to be going alot better, not sure if its the hard drive, the cable or the port.  But I'll be switching motherboards real soon, so I will see how it goes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

ValTrum

Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:12 AM
  • I had the same problem after a windows update. Vista downloaded an updated driver for my video card and the thing completely screwed up my laptop. The feature that automatically download new software drivers without even alert the user is one of the stupidiest thing I've ever saw in my entire life....

Frank

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:21 AM
  • I am having a similar problem. I have 2 user accounts on my laptop and ive noticed that it only happens on the administrator account. Originally i was the administrator and every time i logged in i saw the welcome screen for a coulpe of minutes before a black screen appeared. I could see and move the mouse cursor but had to wait a few minutes before my desktop appeared. I then switched to a normal user and set my girlfriends account to administrator. Now i can log in fine with no delays but she now has the black screen problem. I did the switch again and its definitely linked to the whoever is administrator. ITS DRIVING ME MAD!!!!

Sunday, September 02, 2007 11:21 AM
  • Ive also now noticed that this problem only happens from the bootup procedure. If i switch user or just log off, logging into the administrator account happens without any problems at all. But if i turn the laptop on from cold, or reboot etc and then go to log in as the administrator straight away i get the long blank screen. Again the standard user account logs in with no problems regardless.

Monday, September 03, 2007 10:53 AM
  • I don't know if this will help or not, but I thought I would send it over.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906510/en-us

Monday, October 22, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Ur a star mate i had tryed every thing and was about to put my foot through the screen then you came up with the answer nice 1 mate

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:41 PM
  •  

i have a similar problem... at first, i was able to see the logon screen and type my password... then the black screen appears with the mouse cursor... hitting ctrl+shft+esc opens the task manager and i can open files from here... but cannot access c:\...ive done some trial and errors but the situation became worse... i cannot see the logon screen anymore...just the black screen and the cursor...i can no longer open task manager or perform ctrl+alt+del... any ideas?

Monday, December 24, 2007 8:17 AM
  •  

i have the same problem... i never considered NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA update as the cause of the problem... but if this is the case... what solution do you have in mind?
    Monday, December 24, 2007 8:22 AM
  • I'v got that exact same problem it started i dont know when (i just leave my computer on in sleep mode) it auto updates at 3 am every morning. do you think rolling back to the old video card drivers may help?

god the only reason i got a vista machine was so i could run all my graphics software.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:28 AM
  • Symptom:
    Vista machine appears to be freezing after logon screen. Explorer is not actually loading (at least that's what it is on mine).

Cause:
    Still investigating.

Workaround:
    CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to open task manager.
    File - Run - type in "explorer".

Solution:
    Still checking...

Hope this helps.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 11:16 AM
  • I have the black sceen problem as well, but I can't even get the log in screen. Right after you see the Vista boot up screen, (the one with the little green bars scrolling across the bottom), POOF! Instant black screen. the keyboard doesn't respond and, yes, I did wait for Vista to go in, but it doesn't go in, even after TWO HOURS! Some help would be appreciated, thank you. Oh yeah, one more thing, this was when I restarted after I installed a Microsoft update.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:19 AM
  • i have the same situation

i had run windows vista ultimate stable for a year now

on 17-jan-2008 i did an update on nero 7 reloaded (some mb because didnt update for a longer period of time)

at the same time it seems a windows update took place (i didnt recognize)

after nero update was finished it offered me the choice to reboot

i did and since i have a black screen with mouse pointer instead of the login screen (even waiting a whole night doesnt change this situation)

CTRL-ALT-DEL / ESC does not work

mouse moves but no popup menues

screen saver / energy saving seems to work because the mouse pointer disappears after while but get activated again on mousemovement or keyboard

booting in savemode shows diskcrc.sys loading last - then again the same blackscreen with mouse pointer at lower resolution

how can this be solved / troubleshooted

is there any bootlog that can be enabled / looked up

i already tried the repair options (startup) from the vista dvd but it didnt help

any ideas ?

HELP !

kind regards

tnx in advance for any help

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:19 PM
  • ditto same problem here! please help.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:13 AM
  • am also having the exact same problem as wolfgang plz help thxs

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Same here.

Ran spybot and it found an entry under startup keys relating to Win32.Startup and Shell!Explorer.exe

Fixed and all better. Worked for me, as I was having to manually start explorer.exe (looked here afterwards...)

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Same problem here guys and mine started yesterday!
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:39 AM
  • I think an experience I just had sums up Microsoft's incompetence......

So I'm on the phone with microsft tech support trying to install a vista update which fails everytime. They get me to delete various temporary files as well as renaming certain folders to .old. We then start in safe mode, disable nearly everything in startup and services then reboot as normal. After attempting to install the update (which failed!!), and subsequent re-boot I get the the black sceen with mouse pointer.

Horrified, I tell the tech support guy what has happened. He tells me to hit F8, boot in safe mode (no joy) and then with last known good configuration. No change.

He then tells me it is nothing to do with what he'd instructed me to do and tells me to contact the PC OEM and hangs up, leaving me with an issue that is clearly a known microsoft problem....

and judging by the number of posts here a common one.

Unbelievable!!!

Other info:

Mouse moves the pointer, tryed clicking everywhere on screen - nothing

Nothing on my keyboard works except the sleep button which does actually send the computer into sleep mode. Neither ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-shift-esc do anything.

core 2 duo 6400

3GB Ram

Nvidia GS7900

No idea of vista build No.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Yeah, it has been months now and Microsoft has not adressed the problem. They have left us here to fend for ourselves and rely on our fellow computer comrades for help. Jeez, why did I ever get Vista...

Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:55 AM

• Finally made a breakthru!!!!!!

Here's what I did:

1) Hit F8 during boot up to enter the safe mode option screen
    2) Select the "disable driver signature enforcement" option.

Hopefully Vista will now show the login screen (it did for me). Now do a celebration dance and return to the PC.

3) Once logged in, Vista will be missing things such as the control panel in my case. So from the start button, type "restore" in the search box then click the "system restore" option.
    4) now select a restore point from the list from a time when you know the PC was working.
    5) computer will reboot and hopefully life returns to normal, until the next bug.

I also hid a vista update in the windows update box as I think this may have started the problem. To do this do a check for updates then right click on the update and hide it.

Worked for me.....

Good Luck.
    Friday, February 08, 2008 2:38 AM
  • A second potential solution which I am trying currently is just repairing with the vista ultimate dvd. This has probably already been suggested, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers,

Night

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:20 PM
  •  towz wrote:

Finally made a breakthru!!!!!!

Here's what I did:

1) Hit F8 during boot up to enter the safe mode option screen
    2) Select the "disable driver signature enforcement" option.

Hopefully Vista will now show the login screen (it did for me). Now do a celebration dance and return to the PC.

3) Once logged in, Vista will be missing things such as the control panel in my case. So from the start button, type "restore" in the search box then click the "system restore" option.
    4) now select a restore point from the list from a time when you know the PC was working.
    5) computer will reboot and hopefully life returns to normal, until the next bug.

I also hid a vista update in the windows update box as I think this may have started the problem. To do this do a check for updates then right click on the update and hide it.

Worked for me.....

Good Luck.

did not work on my tries described above (tried also "disable driver signature enforcement" / admin etc)

only black screen (no key combos worked to activate something)

for me there was no other way than the typical windows solution to the several unsolvable problems

lots of work for reinstallation of windows and products

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  

i would just uninstall all the updates from december, because thats when the problem started.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:05 AM
  • My son recently had the "black screen of death".  I have tried every thing mentioned above and even went crawling around the hard drive using the command prompt.  I'm an old DOS and UNIX user so the command prompt isn't foreign to me.  I've looked at device drivers etc, all to no avail.

Here's an idea to those that have the skills beyond me .......................

What if ......... is it possible a spybot or spyware made changes to the registry that disallows the users to do anything?  It looks like the system doesn't boot but, really it does.  I do know with the advent of WinNT Professional, XP and now Vista, an administrator can set up users on a PC and limit what they can do.  They can make their screens show icons or NOT show icons.  I think that this black screen thing could be related to the ability an admin has to control how a user wants the PC to look ... or maybe they have guidelines that all users need.

My point, and I hope I'm explaining it well ... I think this is a simple problem and is related to how we can make our screens appear.  I look forward to seeing/hearing what others have to say on this topic.

adoni

Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  overcustomized mike wrote:

i would just uninstall all the updates from december, because thats when the problem started.

and how would i do an uninstall of the december updates on the blackscreen

i didnt have the possibility to start an explorer/taskmanager etc on the blackscreen before login

and with the repair console started from the windows dvd it was also not possible (at least for me)

i also tried all windows start options (F8 on boot) but no change

so -> reinstall was the only chance i have seen

Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Solution:

Uninstalling is pointless at this time. My experinece is that the update just did not go through, so you need to delete the temp files and start over again.

Reboot using <F8> / Save mode with network. Delete all Temp files as I read in one of the other posts (search for "temp" and delete files in these folders). This will get you back to Vista as you know it.

Then restart (revived-by-that Vista) 2-3 Times until Shutdown button does not include the update icon.

Then you need patience. Install every single update seperately.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:41 AM
  • I too have been plagued by this problem for months now with my Dell Latitude D630 and is quite embarrassing because I am a consultant that goes into clients with this problem and they see me boot up and then login to the black-screen-of-death and I am forced to shutdown and boot up again.  Strange thing is that if it was a Microsoft Update it would do it every time.  The problem only appears upon cold boots when the computer has been turned off for more than a couple of hours.  I purchased the same laptop for my wife and her's does not exhibit this problem.  I have loaded Windows Vista Ultimate x86 on both laptops and done so using the same build/installation procedure.  Think that SP1 would resolve this issue, I loaded it and needless to say the problem still exists on my laptop only.  I have yet to try and install SP1 on my wife's laptop.  I will keep all posted.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Please, please respond to this.  It must be the case that this is an issue for others.

I'm running the same, Dell Latidude D630, with Vista Enterprise. First got the computer a month ago.  Black screen of death one time out of four on startup.  (Not blue screen.  Just a complete hang.)  I took it to the IT guys at my university and they told me that it was a hardware issue.  Frustrated, I sent my computer back to Dell.  Dell sent me a brand new D630.  I'm having the same problem with this computer.  Plainly appears to be a software issue; perhaps a conflict with other programs, but there's not much on here apart from Adobe Design Premium.

I am desperate for help.  Dell is useless.  Microsoft is not helping much either.

Things I've discovered: Evidently the external 500 GB Western Digital hard drive sometimes conflicts with boot, so this can be a problem.  I have that drive, but i seem to experience boot problems even when i'm not attached to that drive.

Also, I have two different d-port replicators for my office at home and at work.  Thought perhaps that there were conflicts between the two configurations.  Still, the hang happens to me even when I boot up independently of the configuration. 

So Airborn: please correspond.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 5:50 AM
  •  Professor Ben wrote:

I am desperate for help.  Dell is useless.  Microsoft is not helping much either.

Well your might still be a hardware issue with a software cause. lets try a test, goto you power options (from right-clicking the little battery icon at the bottom right). click on "Change Plan Settings" under whatever plan you have. click "change advance power settings" , then scroll to "Prossesor power management" under "Minimum Prossesor state" change both values to 100%.

If this solves your problem find the percent that is llow enough to save power but still keep the black screen away.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 7:45 AM
  • I HAVE A ZD 7000 PAVILION HP NOTEBOOK. I am using XP professional. I also have a black screen and i tried all you tried to no avail. My beautiful screen is gone. I can only see the content of my notebook by pluging in a external monitor. So far the new nvidia drivers will not install to fix the problem. the few times i got them installed involved installing XP again and losing all my settings and icons. It worked for a day or two and then i booted up to a black screen again. this machine use to work beautifully with no problems. I am again using an external monitor for this notebook. I know this is a software and hardware problem and someone out there has the solution. I refuse to give up. Can anyone help. My adapter is a geforce fx 5600 type.    

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 10:46 AM
  • Professor Ben, one thing I did was to let the black screen take its course and after 7-10 minutes the computer finally rebooted.  Upon reboot I was able to login to the system and notice that there were errors in the Problem Reports and Solutions in the control panel regarding errors with the Dell Internal Network Card Power Management and Quickset or something like that.  So the suggestion to change the power options for the processor might be a good start as I do notice that it happens most often when running from battery.  So far (knock on wood) I have not experienced a black screen after letting it run its course.  I will keep you posted if anything changes.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 5:17 AM
  •  

i waited 24 hours

no reboot . no login possibility . nothing

Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Nothing seems to be working for me either.  I tried the min and max processor use thing discussed above.  All at 100% already. 

I have been struggling with this incompatibility boot/startup issue for over a month now.  As I mention above, I have a brand new Dell d630 that I share between two Dell d-port replicators with various configurations at each d-port.  Whenever I try to boot, about one out of three times, my computer hangs and requires a hard reset.    Usually if I do this and I opt to delete the restortation data, then I can start up Vista without any complications.

I have to rebuild my search index, and Microsoft outlook often says that "Outlook was not closed properly."  I'm coming to believe that the issue is not so much with the the startup, but with the shut down.  My reasoning is that

It seems possible that my problem is related to this problem noted here, but cannot say for sure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928135/en-us ....  The symptoms, at least, are the same

Has anybody tried this hotfix?  Does anybody know if this hotfix is included in the most recent service pack (SP1)?  Is there anything else that might be causing this???

This is killing me.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 6:01 AM
  • I too had the same issue.  I googled same ... found this aswer:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071230235216AAQrJLs

After following the steps in the link above, I then ran win doctor.  This seems to have worked for me ... for the time being anyway.

We have two toshiba satellite lap tops, one seems to have failed opening the explorer.exe and the other seems to have trouble keeping it open.  They were both purchased within the last 6 months.  Both running on Windows Vista.

Good Luck!

Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:01 PM
  • I have a new HP high end desktop with Vista Home Premium that developed the problem intermittently (black screen no HD activity after the green bar--dead in the water after about 60 seconds) after I hooked up my Western Digital MyBook USB external drives from another machine. For a month prior it had been fine.  Last year someone on a different forum suggested that disabling "legacy USB storage detect" in the BIOS helped in this circumstance.  For a week now I've had no problem after changing this setting. 

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Hello everyine, I too "had" the same problem about 30 minutes ago.. I restarted my comp after a big itunes update. Everything booted normal and the I got the black screen, it never made it to log in. So I restarted and tried safe mode, nothing. Tried all other modes and none of those worked either. So I decided to try safe mode one more time before i dropped a bomp on my pc. Turns out safe mode took about 10-15 minutes to finally load. After which I did random checks on my computer to make sure everything was working fine, which it was. So i resarted and went right to normal start up. Waited and waited and waited untill low and behold the good ol log in screen came up. So all I can recomend is when you start up  give some time, it worked for me.....
    Friday, April 04, 2008 4:31 AM
  • i gave 48 hours

still wasnt enought

Friday, April 04, 2008 10:08 PM
  • First time posting so I hope I'm doing it correctly.

Just received my gateway 540s and anxious to be able to use dual monitors since my acer notebook won't handle my Samsung SyncMaster 206BW.  In talking with techies (I'm not, only enough knowledge to be dangerous), I thought the NVida 8600 would be good for me.  I use photoshop lightroom extensively, no gaming.  Computer came with the Gateway FPD1976W monitor.  After spending $200 on cables I have the gateway connected to the DVI and the Samsung to the HDMI with a DVI/HDMI cable.  Would get the black screen with both attached.  Could start up with only the Gateway monitor.  Could then attache the Samsung but if I shutdown I would get the black screen on the next start up.  I've downloaded drivers from samsung and updates from microsoft and now it will start up fine but the samsung isn't active. As soon as I go to the NVIDIA controll panel and choose to configure monitors independently (Dualview) computer freezes as soon as I click activate.  Do a hard shutdown - hold the button for five seconds and then power on choosing to restart in windows and I'm up and running but still with only the Gateway monitor.  So here are some thoughts/questions.

Is there a problem with the samsung driver or windows or with NVIDIA or what combinations?

Are others having problems with the black screen because of the second monitor?

Should I reverse which is my primary monitor?

I have a big project to finish and would really like to have dual monitors, one for menues and one for the photo window but I'm afraid to keep trying and really screw things up?

Hope this helps.  Any suggestions?

Nordogg

Sunday, April 06, 2008 2:33 AM
  • I am having this problem as well. I am running a Dell Dimension 9100 Desk top with Win XP Pro, GeForce 6800, Pen D 3.00GHz 2GB RAM. 

Screen goes blank at login:

This problem started about a month ago. Everything seems to be working fine. I shut down my system at night to save energy. When I turn it on it seems to start up ok. THEN when I log on to my account it looks like it is loading my settings and then the screen goes blank. I force a shut down and then I can login in Safe Mode.

I have tryed updating, and or re-instaling drivers, tryed Microsoft Suport (Artical 318027), and a bunch of diferant system utilities. Nothing seems to fix the problem.

I ended up doing a system restore. Going baack a week at a time after going back 6 weeks the problem stoped and I was able to login. I reset all the little stuf that never seems to resore, run updates, shut down, restart and then creat a restore point. Then in a day or two I shut my system down and the problem comes back. If I try my recent restore point it does not fix the problem and once again I have to go back as far as 6 weeks to get a good restore point.

Since I am seeing that I am not alown and there seem to be a verity of computer models that are having the problem I suspect the problem is being coused by ither a Microwsoft or Nvidia auto update as that looks like the most common programs we are all using. Everywere I look though everyone keeps refering back to Micosoft help ot Tech suport.

What more can I say.... OM F..ing G can anyone tell us how to fix this problem before my computer gets flying lessions. I am so sick of Micosoft supper BS Apple here I come...
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:34 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with XP Pro. Tryed all the thing listed. Same problem with XP not just a Vista issue.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:41 PM
  • I'm having this problem with XP pro too. I think you are corect though NVIDA and or Microsort update. I am running XP pro with all recomended updates, GForce 6800. So it might be in an update that is made for Vista and XP.

I hope this helps, every clue we can get might just help find an answer to this problem.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:50 PM
  • Man, this stinks.

I just built my brand new screaming machine last night and after I installed the drivers for the nVidia 8600GTS, I got the same black screen all of you are talking about.

Here I've been for months backing Microsoft saying "Just give Vista a chance...it's great!" I of course didn't have Vista yet and now that I do I'm quite ticked!

It seems that there hasn't been any real resolution yet, but I hope that everyone keeps writing here to let anyone know if something comes up.

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:53 PM
  •  

Ok guys.. I have an HP dv2047. about 3 months ago one day I got home and started the computer from habirnation and it was giving me the black screen deal. After manually turning it off and on a couple of times I got it to work.

After that it worked just fine until two weeks ago.

Sometimes when I restart, I turn on the computer or I start from hibernation I get the black screen.

I have done alot of research and many different things.

1. did a disk check from the BIOS

2.reinstalled windows 2 times.

3. did destructive recovery 2 times.

4. installed vista and installed xp again.

5.open the notebook and check everything was connected right.

and I am still having the problem with the black screen. Sometimes It seems that the processor does start and others I see the lighst come on but I hear no sound from the processor.

I am still looking for an answer....

Things I heard might work but I havent done.

-reinstalling BIOS or a fix

-putting a new graphics card.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:41 AM
  • I've had a problem over the lat 72 hours or so on my Vista Ultimate machine running SP1...

The problem commenced mid afternoon while listening to media player and using my other PC - so I was not active on the system.  When I returned to the PC, I found my USB keyboard and mouse weren't responding.  It wasn't a system hang - both media player and task manager were working normally.  I switched my keyboard and mouse to my other PC to check they were OK, and they were.  I rebooted, and plugged both keyboard and mouse into the PS2 slots, and system worked.  No other USB devices on the system were working, although the USB slots were providing power (I could charge my phone, but not synch it).  I figured I'd had a USB Controller failure on the motherboard.  A pain, but not a killer as my PCI USB controller was still working.

On advice from someone, I carried out a cold boot.  My system got through the moving green bar screen on startup, but BLUE SCREEN'd where the splash screen would have appeared prior to login.  This happened repeatedly.  Rebooted in safe mode successfully, and rebooted in Last Known Good successfully, however on Last Known Good, most of my USB drivers and devices weren't recognised, and could not update drivers.  There had been a Windows Update on the 18th, but not one I was aware of, or one that appears to have rebooted the system.  Resoring to a previous restore point on the 17th produced the same problem. 

Cold Booted again, and encountered a black screen in place of the previous blue screen - movable cursor in the middle, but no keyboard commands brought anything up.  Same occured in Safe Mode, and Last Known Good.  System did not appear on the network.

Disabled USB on the motherboard, and booted from the Vista Disk.  Tried a repair on the boot sequence, but it did not detect any errors, but on reboot, black screen'd.  Did another system restore back to the 17th, and this time the system has successfully booted. 

My plan is to clean out my temp files, reboot, and see if it comes up successfully again.

I'll then re-enable the USB controller in the BIOS, reboot, and see if I have any issues

If not, I'll try the USB devices on the motherboard USB slots again.

The question is....

Has a Windows Update screwed my system up, and its only been discovered on a cold reboot

or

Has my USB controller really failed, and its slowly taking the rest of the system with it?

or

Is it a combination of both?!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:32 AM
  • hey yeh i had the same problem as well. i installed the last windows updates and then when i restarted my computer my start up would come all black except a window of 'My Documents' and that is how im using my pc now. everything seems to be functioning okay even interenet n word n stuff but i get a black desktop with no icons or taskbar or anything. anyone any idea what might be happening?
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:37 AM
  • Apparently (according to the system restore points) there was a Windows update on the 18th, so my restore back to the 17th took the system back to a stable state.  I think this update screwed my system up.

I have:

Hidden the update, so it wont install

Changed my Microsoft updates to install on command rather than automatically

Cleaned out the temp files

successfully rebooted

Re-enabled USB controllers in my BIOS

Successfully rebooted

Plugged USB devices into my motherboard USB slots.... and they worked!

So whatever happened, and I think it can only have been that update on the 18th as its the only system change I haven't reapplied, it appeared to have disabled my USB controller randomly during use, and then on hard reboot, blue screened my PC, and then on attempting to fix, black screened it. 

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:16 PM
  •  

First, download the free Autoruns program, which is made by Sysinternals (a Microsoft-owned company).

Once you've downloaded and installed the program, right click on it and run it as an administrator.

Next, once the program is running, you will see a list of all the start-up functions in the registry and elsewhere. You will probably want to look for places where it says a file that the registry is supposed to load is not found, and either uncheck that entry or change the location to the one where the file is, if it still exists on your computer.

The key to solving the black screen is lsass.sys.

The final step I took that solved the problem was to uncheck the command to run lsass.sys at startup/login. Once I did this and then closed the program and restarted my computer, it worked properly.

lsass.sys will still start up but I believe removing it from the list of startup items delays the start up of the file.

I think what is happening is that it tries to start too early and causes the system to hang while it waits to start (but never does).

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:23 PM
  •  

After months of trying different things I finally fixed mine. I took it to a repeait shop and they told me it was the motherboard in which I decided it wa snot worth it. But then I read about removing the battery from the mother boar, for about two hours. I  think it reinstalled the BIOS or id did something to it. Now my computer is working like new. Ever since I did that I never had the black screen.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Hello! do you know what he meant by the following?? I did the first part of the instruction, but I couldn't do this so, the problem was not solved..

2. delete all unncessary startup programs from
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Run

Thanks so much!!!
    Sunday, June 08, 2008 2:16 PM
  • I will quote this from another forum that I have found. It actually solved my problem. I hope it does so for you too.

I have your solution, it is registy problem, boot up your pc, when it stops at the black screen with my documents open hit cntr+alt+delete and then task manager, run a new task called regedit, now in the left hand collum navigate to HKEY_local machine/software/microsoft/WindowsNT/Currentversion/winlogon. now in the right hand panel click on shell.

Source: http://forum.soft32.com/windows/vista-opens-black-screen-pointed-documents-fold-ftopict362718.html

Monday, June 09, 2008 3:07 AM
  • I'm having similar problems but I don't think anyone as yet has reported exactly what I am seeing.
    When I boot the machine normally it gets all the way to playing the windows jingle and showing the windows icon, then there's a slight pause that never used to be there, the hard disk light goes off, but after about 15 seconds it gives me the logon screen. If I logon, using either of the two users, I get a black screen, with a moveable mouse cursor. No applications start and no explorer shell is invoked. It does not respond to any key presses (ctrl-alt-delete, ctrl-escape, windows-r).
    Pressing the power button I get a little bit of hard drive activity but it never shuts down.
    The hard drive only churns for about 10-15 seconds after logging in, which is considerably shorter than I would get on a successful boot.

I have left it on with the black screen state for a good half hour. It just sits there with no disk activity.

I have also tried booting into safe mode, safe mode with low graphics, safe mode with command prompt, disabling signed drivers. All of these result in  the same thing. I log in and it hangs.

The only way I can get any response from the system is booting via the Vista installation disk.
    I have run the system check - no problems found.
    I have run system restore and wound back the OS as far as it will go - about 10 restore points and three weeks - the system was perfectly fine the but it still fails to boot, same problem.
    The only way I can get into my system is to use the command line option from the Vista boot disk, but this is no help.

Leading up to the failure there was no new software installed on the system, it has an up-to-date version of McAfee installed and is a genuine copy of Vista as provided by Dell, with the laptop.
    Specs for those that care:

Dell Inspiron 1520 - 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Disk.

If I have to restore the system from scratch - I.e. installing a new version of Vista, - will I be able to preserve all my documents if I move them into a directory other than the c:\Users structure?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:44 AM
  •  

I am having the same problem as Wintee above. Running a genuine Vista Ultimate 32-bit OS, SP1, and the machine was running fine until Sunday morning when it froze. Reboot attempts generate the same symptoms as listed above - machine boots to the login screen, then once a user is selected it goes to a black screen with the mouse cursor. No icons, no taskbar, and it does not respond to the keyboard. Booting in safe mode produces the same results except that the Vista build info is displayed at the top of the screen and "Safe Mode" is shown at the 4 corners. Booting from the Vista installation DVD works, I tried going back to a restore point prior to the last round of Windows updates, but after "successfully" restoring to that point, the startup behavior is unchanged.  The only major difference I see with Wintee's situation is that my system is a desktop and has Kaspersky Internet Security instead of McAfee.

If this could be some kind of spyware, is there a command line or CD-bootable utility I can use to remove it? Also, if this is the "lsass.sys" problem, can that file be moved from the safe mode command prompt?

Thanks,

-- Matt

Monday, June 16, 2008 1:57 PM
  • This problem seems to be spreading, I am having the same problem. I read on a microsoft KB that this is fixed in SP1, well I had already installed SP1 before this problem occurred. From all the posts and docs the only solution is to restore from a backup. How can microsoft spend so long on producing this kind of rubbish?

Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:35 AM
  •  

Hello,

Have you ever tried a disk check. When you first boot your computer press f8 and then run throught the repair my computer stuff and then when that finishes then you can go to the advanced options and chose comand prompt. From there you can open up a comand prompt and then it will show up as X:............ Imput into the box C: and hit enter.

From there you can type dskchk and then it will run a disk check that will take hours to do. On my XPS 420 the problem was with RAID because it was set to autodetect which seems not to work in Windows  Vista for some reason.

Well I hope this sheds a little more light on the issue!

Monday, July 07, 2008 4:47 AM
  •  

Had this problem myself today.  In the end I managed to get it working by pressing F8 on bootup, selecting the Repair option, going to restore and picking a restore point from a previous day.  The last restore point had been created yesterday after a Windows update so assume it must have been that causing the problem.
    Tuesday, July 08, 2008 2:11 PM
  • Turns out its a simple registry error.

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=923903

Who's your daddy?

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 3:52 PM
  • u need to go to the update windows link and change ur settings to download but not install. that will send a message to u that there ur updates available and u can choose to install any or all of the updates.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 4:25 PM
  • has anyone found a fix for this yet? my winlogon shell string was already set to only explorer.exe but i had to get into the registry with the UBCD for windows. anyone have any ideas?

Monday, July 28, 2008 1:56 PM
  • cool....

I dont know this procedure will work for u or not...!

Just press F11 when booting the system (before window logo apears)

select system manager- here u can farmate ur entire system, u can backup files before farmating ur system

and it takes 15-20min......I hope this will work....good luck

Friday, August 01, 2008 2:34 AM
  • have you found a solution

Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Black screen after start up happened to me also but i F8 after boot and hit repair which then led me to being able to restore my comp. Restored it to yesterday and worked fine and dandy.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:56 AM
  • I rebooted my computer and it has a black screen with a cursor and I can't do anything.

Monday, September 01, 2008 6:33 AM
  • I have the worst situation ever. My screen is black once I turn it on it keeps restarting itself with no luck. Help?

Friday, September 05, 2008 12:40 AM
  • I just got the black screen today after leaving my computer on all night, again something to do with windows VISTA downloading an "UPDATE" ...

The solution for me was to press F8 after booting the laptop and hit repair and then restore. Restored it to a couple of days before and is working fine so far.

Thanks to everybody for contributing on this tread.

Monday, September 15, 2008 4:42 PM
  •  GCRaya wrote:
    I fised it. I just booted to the last knowen good configuartion. Then it worked. I don't know what caused it but its all better now.

Try this if your problem seems like mine:

I purchased the HP-Compaq C765TU Presario, serial # CND81233B5, from Octagon Computers May 2008. My notebook came with only "Freedos" because I was going to Dual-boot Windows XP Professional & Linux, but I found out that my notebook is only “Vista Compatible,” because I could not find the drivers for the sound card & Atheros wireless adapter & the Linux I used, Ubuntu does not have all the drivers needed, so I uninstalled, & I added the only Windows Vista OS that I could get here at Octagon Computers in Tacloban City, Leyte, Philippines, “Windows Vista Starter!” (I’m an American married to a beautiful Filipino woman 1 year younger than me, & we are living in the Philippines. I’m, also, Retired USAF.) I went to the HP-Compaq site & downloaded all the new drivers and essential update for my notebook to make sure my notebook was as it should be by HP-Compaq standards. All is well, but only for a little while!

The first problem that I encountered was that after I would Logon, the Welcome screen would do its processing then go to a blank desktop with the cursor - no icons, no taskbar, nothing, so I used “control, alt, delete” to bring up the tasks page & started Task Manager. I found that the “Explorer.exe” was not listed, so I ran a “New Task” from the file menu, & my whole desktop came up. The notebook runs fine after this is done, but I had to do it all the time.

So, I found & bought a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate on the Internet & was forced to do a clean install because it was a full version (not an upgrade), which formatted my Hard-drive, but I had backed up all my files ahead of time, so as to not lose all my important data. I went back to HP-Compaq site & downloaded all the new drivers and essential update to make sure my notebook was as it should be by HP-Compaq standards. After doing this New Install, my notebook worked perfectly! However, the same problem has come back as I had with Windows Vista starter.

I have always used Anti-virus, and I run “System Mechanic Professional 8” because it has all the tools needed to seek & destroy viruses, spybots, etc…, & recover/repair data.

I have never had this problem with Windows XP Professional, but this laptop is designed for Vista, and I didn't know that before I bought it. I'm still looking for a permanent FIX. There must be a way to fix this problem permanently!
    Monday, September 29, 2008 7:01 AM
  •  GabrielPol wrote:
    I had the same problem a couple of days ago.. I formated and reinstaled every thing.. It worked fine, but I was wondering.. I had this peoblem after updating my windows..Did anybody try to uninstal the lasts windows updates?

I managed to uninstall all MS Windows updates except for these four:

KB943729 - Error

KB937287 - Error

KB938371 - Won't uninstall

KB935509 - Won't uninstall But, I still get the blank screen after the Welcome Screen, so I'm still searching for a cure for this Plague called Vista!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:42 AM
  • Go to the Start Button - click- find Control Panel on the right side of the popup menu & open. Next find Programs & click to open. Find Programs and Features at the top & click on View installed updates - click to open. All updates will load. Find the section with Microsoft Windows Updates & right-click on each update to reveal "Uninstall" & click. This will remove the update if it is removable because some will not uninstall. Do not Uninstall SP1 (Service Pack 1).

Let me know if you have trouble. Please rate if I helped you...

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:01 AM
  • i have the same problem but with no desktop or start menu and i have a black screen and i need help urgently

Thursday, October 02, 2008 8:50 PM
  •  Jordan Hahn wrote:

I am having the same problem.  Can not log into Vista at all.  Everytime I tell it to boot to the last known good configuration, the same black screen appears.  I have tried booting it in Safe Mode with no luck.  I am out of options and need help please.

Thanks,

Jordan

HP zd8000

P4 # 3.0 GHz

1 GB RAM

ATI Radeon x600 Mobility

Windows Vista

Friday, October 03, 2008 12:58 AM
  • Is this XP or Vista?

For both Windows XP & Vista:

Go to Start button on task bar on left side - Click start & find Control Panel on right side of Pop-up Menu & click on it. Next, the Control Panel will come up & look for Uninstall Programs (XP) or Programs (Vista) & click to open a new window for both XP & Vista. Find a box at the top about 1.5" from the top on the window righthand side of the window in XP that says "Show updates" & check the box to see all updates. Click on the updates one at a time to see a popup that will ask you if you wish to change or remove, just click on the box & removal will begin. If no box pops up, then the update cxannot be removed. Follow all instructions to remove the updates completely & do not worry about the popup that says "this update effects these programs." Click okay & continue. I have never had problems of removed updates affecting my programs. Do this procedure for all updates, but do not restart until you are done removing all the updates that you want to remove.

In Vista, look on the righthand side of the windlow, which says "Programs & Features" & find "View Installed Updates" & click on it. Under "Microsoft Windows" you will see all the updates that are on your computer. Right click with your mouse to bring up a popup that says "Uninstall" & click on it. If you do not get the popup that says Uninstall, then  the update cannot be removed.

That is the complete procedure for both XP & Vista.

Here is how to fix the blank screen with cursor:

Most likely a damaged or altered registry entry. Clicks start and type
    'regedit' and hit <enter>. Expand the keys at left to reach:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Click on this key, then locate the shell string in the right pane. Double
    click it, replace the contents with just:

explorer.exe

Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot.

Source:  http://forum.soft32.com/windows/vista-opens-black-screen-pointed-documents-fold-ftopict362718.html

If you are not confident with working within the Registry, then get a computer tech to help you, or ask for help here.

Freebro...

Saturday, October 04, 2008 2:25 PM
  •  

thanks for providing with all your help and support but please read the forum before you give advice that problem is there is no start button or no way to get to the task manager so everything you are saying has been said already or tried so for the sake of all of us read before you tell us how to solve it...not trying to sound like a *** but i just needed to say
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 8:34 AM
  • Well, I have to say something to your absurb comments. I read the forum rules, & I gave advice for the Vista question to get to task manager. You are not the only person who has this problem - there are XP users, too.

Read all my posts before you consider yourself as the forum police or, in this instance, a Jerk! On top of that, I've been working on computers since 1984!!! Who knows, I'm 57, so I just may know how to do this stuff better than you think, if you will give better details. So, mind your mouth on these forums... & pay attention. You just might learn something.

Now for the problem:

In Vista, you can always get to Task Manager by hitting ctrl+alt+delete because it goes to the big Green & Blue Screen with several choices. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. If you get the blank screen after the login, you can do just what I told you.

If your running XP, you still do ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the Task Manager.

Either OS, you still run a "new task" (explorer) from the File Menu. Then the Desktop "Will" come up, unless you have a more serious problem with the computer or OS. If the desktop comes up as it should, open File & run Regedit.

Any questions, contact me, & I will assist you further. I still have other hints, too!

Sunday, October 05, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Now for the problem:

If you get the blank screen after the login, in XP or  Vista, you can always get to the "Task Manager" by hitting ctrl+alt+esc to go straight to the Task Manager or ctrl+alt+delete to go to the big "Green & Blue Screen" with several choices - click on "Task Manager." You will see the Task Manager come up, open "File," run a "New Task," type in "Explorer," & hit "Enter."

Either OS, you still run a "new task" from the File Menu (> type explorer in the popup box & hit enter). Then the Desktop "Will" come up, unless you have a more serious problem with the computer or OS. If the desktop comes up as it should, use the "Task Manager" to open File, run Regedit & find this string:

HKEY_local machine/software/microsoft/WindowsNT/Currentversion/winlogon. 

Now open the file on the right-side of the window called Shell by double clicking. The only words in the value should be explorer.exe. If there is anything extra there, delete it. Close the Registry & restart your computer to finalize the saving of the registry. If you have a program that can backup your registry, do so before you restart.

Your computer should come up Normally when you restart.

Any questions, contact me, & I will assist you further. I still have other hints, too, but this is the one to fix the blank screen with cursor! Also, Please vote, if this helps you.

Monday, October 06, 2008 7:24 AM
  • This is a registry problem because like you I tried all that you have done, even to the point of reinstalling the Vista Ultimate OS. Do not worry about Isass.sys because it is not part of this problem. Also, if you have problems with programs shuting down with a popup that says "Run32.dll" has stopped working, this fix will stop all the problems of the blank screen with cursor.

Okay, now for the fix: (Note: you must know how to go thru a Registry & do only what needs to be done, or the OS will crash.)

This seems to be a common issue with Vista after certain updates, so I removed all updates that I could & will not download any more updates until SP2 (if there is one later).

Once you select the User name and enter the Password, the screen should be going blank.

Try pressing “Ctrl + Alt + Del” keys to open a Full Menu of other tasks and select the “Task Manager” toward the bottom of the list or press “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys to open the “Task Manager” directly.

In the Task Manager window, go to the “Menu” at the top left & click on “File” > go to “New Task” (Click to Run).

Type Explorer.exe in the box and click on OK.

You should be able to & will get the Desktop with the icons, taskbar, start menu etc. Now, you need to open a New Task again but type Regedit, & the registry will open in a new window. Maximize the window to fill your desktop for ease of finding this string by double-clicking the folders:  

Click on this key a folder at a time until you get to Winlogon, then locate the shell string in the right pane. Double

”explorer.exe” (Note: Do not use the quotes!)

Click “OK”, then close the registry editor window and reboot your computer to see if Windows will start correctly after Logon.

If you are not confident with working within the Registry, then get a computer tech to help you, or ask for help here, but you will do just fine, if you follow these directions carefully. It would be a good idea to print this out to follow as you do the steps.

Freebro...

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:37 AM
  • Let me be the 1st:

Fix blank screen is very easy now.

This seems to be a common issue with Vista after certain updates, so I removed all updates that I could & will not download any more updates until SP2 (if there is one later).

Once you select the User name and enter the Password, the screen should be going blank.

Try pressing “Ctrl + Alt + Del” keys to open a Full Menu of other tasks and select the “Task Manager” toward the bottom of the list or press “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys to open the “Task Manager” directly.

In the Task Manager window, go to the “Menu” at the top left & click on “File” > go to “New Task” (Click to Run).

You should be able to & will get the Desktop with the icons, taskbar, start menu etc. Now, you need to open a New Task again but type Regedit, & the registry will open in a new window. Maximize the window to fill your desktop for ease of finding this string by double-clicking the folders:  

Click on this key a folder at a time until you get to Winlogon, then locate the "shell" string in the right pane. Double

Click “OK”, then close the registry editor window and reboot your computer to see if Windows will start correctly after Logon.

If you are not confident with working within the Registry, then get a computer tech to help you, or ask for help here, but you will do just fine, if you follow these directions carefully. It would be a good idea to print this out to follow as you do the steps.

Freebro...

Note: If your problem is more complex, please reply to this post, & I will help you again.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:59 AM
  • Freebro, i never meant for this to turn into a conflict but yes i was more than likely bringing out the jerk in me which i say sorry to you for, i guess i was just going off my problem and i got frustrated with it so bad i took it out on the people trying to help but for my instance when i press ctrl alt del nothing will come up and i know other people have had that already in this forum so for me its hard to do anything without that i have changed everything in the registry but that is not working for me...any ideas?

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 5:12 AM
  • I'm sorry too Bro, but I'm a little sensitive when I'm trying to help all these people get their problems fixed. The Blank screen really got my goat when I spent 3 weeks searching every part of my computer & the web, but we're gettin a handle on it.

My Blank Screen problems happened on September 12, 2008 when I did a big update download & install. I removed all my updates (except 3 - will not uninstall) before I fixed the problem of the blank screen. I will not get anymore updates until SP2 (if there will be 1) comes out, but I will watch others before I install. this way I will know if the update SP2 is good.

Now, it appears to me that you are not even able to get to the Logon screen? Or is it logging on but not able to bring up the task manager? This is very important because, if it's not coming to the logon screen, then you will have to use the method of booting to the Vista DVD & do a repair action when you get to the Install screen.

I suggest doing the repair 1st, &, if that doesn't work, do a restore to a date before the last updates that you downloaded & installed.

Repair will be at the bottom off the list on the install screen. When this is done, you can reboot & see if it will come all the way up to the Logon screen. If you can log on but the screen turns blank, try the ctrl + alt + del to see if Task Manager comes up. If the Task manager appears, follow these steps closely.

Click on this key a folder at a time until you get to Winlogon, then locate the “shell” string in the right pane. Double

Let me know what happens... Freebro

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Hi everybody,

I'm encountering the same frustrating blank screen error as described quite a few times above... I've tried literally everything except for formatting my machine. Here's my take on the problem:

I'm running Vista Business 32bit on a Core 2 Duo machine i built myself last year. I've only switched to Vista in March of this year. I had to keep XP Pro, tho, because Oracle 9i does not agree with Vista. So i set up a new partition on the same HDD that XP is, and installed Vista on that. I've been using the dualboot configuration for months now, problem free. Until Sunday night... My network suddenly stopped funtioning, for no apparent reason, so i just gave the machine a restart. Now this usually fixes the problem. After my restart... that dreaded blank screen greeted me. I have a movable mouse cursor, and because i use a tablet for art, the tablet input box is visible. The input box only gives me a virtual KB, tho, instead of a writing pad. Anyway... i waited for a while, then frowned and restarted the machine again. This time, however, it actually showed my desktop and a few shortcuts, but not all of them. Everything loaded incredibly, painfully slow. Furthermore, not all of my gadgets were showing. Luckily, the system monitor one had popped up. The memory was nominal at 30%, but the one core was idling while the other one was racing along at 95-100%. I tried going into the start menu, and everything grinded to a halt. I'm not very patient with such things, so i restarted it again. From then onwards, i only ever get the black screen with a controllable cursor. I've tried Safe mode, and all the derivatives of Safe more, as well as Last Known Good configuration; they are all the same. Then i tried using my Vista disc to do a startup repair. It reported that no problems were detected. Then i tried a system restore point. I uninstalled a modem driver before the problem, so i tried rolling back to before that point. The process completed sucessfully, but the problem remained... After that, i decided to restore to an earlier point in time. To my suprise, there were no more restore points available! All 10 had disappeared. At this point i should also mention that my computer had not been updated recently. The last time was about two weeks ago... The memory diagnostic test also ran successfully without picking up errors of any kind...

Anyway... from here on i booted into Windows XP without hitch, and i checked that my files and discs were intact. I also ran a complete system scan with Norton 2008. It picked up that other annoying trojan.brisv.a virus on some of my music files, and i took care of it. I have wondered if this virus could be responsible for my boot failure, but i don't think so... i've discovered it on my PC a few times before this problem occured. Notably it destroyed my Celine Dion folder... Is that a bad thing? *chuckles*

Seriously, tho... I'm totally stumped... I know many people are having this problem... but is there another way of getting into the registry to fix those files? On my blank screen there is no way of getting in, and no key combinations are working. Maybe there is a way to fix it from my XP installation?

Really really - any help will be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to resort to a clean install Sad

My system specs, for the record:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
    Intel GF965 MB
    2GB 667MHz DDR RAM
    iChill Nvidia 8600GT
    160GB SATA (split into a 120GB and a 40GB partition) plus a 250GB SATA
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Look at my posts in this thread & see if there is a post that is like or close to your problem.

Follow the instructions in that post & let us know what happens with more details of when the blank screen appears (before or after Logon) to help us give you more information & instructions.

I don't think there is a way to get to the Vista Registry in XP, unless you search for it manually & bring up as a text file to edit it, but you must save as a registry file type. It is so much easier to do Regedit in Vista Task Manager.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Hi Freebro!

Thank you so much for the prompt reply Smile

I read the entire forum, and on several occasions the problem reported is identical to mine. But the solution doesn't seem to work for me... Unless i'm doing it wrong. I'm not an expert whatsoever, so that could easily be the case, heh.

More details on my bootup:
    When my machine starts up, i get the normal BIOS screens, and then an option to boot from either Vista or XP. Here i can also run a memory diagnostic. Vista is set as my default OS. When i pick Vista, i get the scrolling green bar at the bottom, and after that the Vista orb appears and the startup jingle plays. Then i get the blue-green welcome screen. I don't have separate accounts on my machine, so it would continue directly to the desktop from here. And this is where the screen fades out and turns black... And all HDD activity eventually ceases. The mouse pointer is always available, tho. If i leave my machine like that, the power saving options would switch off the screen after 30 mins, accompanied by some HDD activity. Other than that, it's dead...

I hope this helps! and once again, thanks very much for the reply!
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Read this before doing anything! Print this out to follow the steps easier. 

Okay, it is just a little different for your computer because you will have to force Task Manager to come up by holding down ctrl+shift+(& hit)esc, & you will or should go from the blank screen straight to the Task Manager. Then follow the steps below:

Type Explorer.exe in the popup box and click on OK.

You should be able to & will get the Desktop with the icons, taskbar, start menu etc. Now, you need to open a New Task again but type Regedit, & the registry will open in a new window. Maximize the window to fill your desktop for ease of finding this string by double-clicking the folders 1 at a time:

Click on this key's folders until you get to Winlogon, then locate the “shell” string in the right pane of the window. Double
    click on "shell" & replace the contents with just:

Let me know what happens... Especially, let me know if the Task Manager refuses to come up. Freebro   

Thursday, October 09, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Hey Freebro! Thank you muchly again ^.^

I followed your instructions, and even tho ctrl+shift+esc (tapping on esc, right?) failed to bring up the Task Manager, i played around a bit and discovered that Sticky Keys still worked! Tapping Shift 5 times popped up the little confirmation dialog. From there i was able to go into control panel, and there i started explorer.exe! I had my wallpaper, taskbar and desktop icons right back. I tried to run "regedit", but nothing happens. Same thing with "msconfig". I just get a busy pointer. Still, i can now access my folders and files, which is just great! After a while, explorer disappears again, but my desktop background remains. When i try to use sticky keys again, i can just hear the sound, but the little window does not appear anymore.

We're getting somewhere - what do you suggest from here? Smile

Regards,
    ~W~
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Great! Now let's check to see if you can do the following.

See if you can now right-click on the taskbar to bring up the menu & click on Task Manager in the list to see if the Task Manager will come up from there. If so, then click on File > Run> Type Explorer.exe, & see what happens. Explorer.exe should show up in the processes list, if it wasn't there when you looked for it. We have to get Regedit to open to fix the problem.

Do the same thing, again while in Task Manager to open "File," run a "New Task," type in regedit in the box , & hit "Enter." to bring up the Registry, then follow the procedure that I gave you above. Remember to Re-boot to make the change permanent.

When your computer restarts, it should come all the way up with no problem. This will keep Explorer from disappearing on you. Let me know how it goes. Freebro...

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:51 AM
  • Hi Freebro!

Thank you very much for the reply!

When i try to bring up the Task Manager from the taskbar (btw, thank you tons for this hint! I always used the long winded ctrl+alt+del method), the green grid icon appears in the system tray, but the task manager itself doesn't appear. Trying to double-click or right click on the icon doesn't open a menu either. Also, there is no activity whatsoever displayed on the icon.

After about 10 minutes, everything save for the background disappears again... After this, the Sticky Keys trick doesn't work anymore, until i restart the machine.

I'm leaning towards just formatting it and using my functioning XP installation to backup the data...

Again, thanks for the continued assistance!

~W~

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Sorry to get back so late because I was on travel to Southern Leyte, got back Sunday night to find my Internet was offline.

I put the wrong word in the 2nd paragraph of my last post because it was explorer.exe 1st, and it should be run > regedit 2nd to bring up the registry to fix it.

Don't format yet until you try this: Put your Vista DVD into the CD ROM & close the window or exit from the popup for Installation. Bring up a command prompt & type "sfc /scannow" (make sure there's a space after the c - don't use the quotes. Command prompt is found in Accessories, along with the Run command.) & hit enter. It will give a summary after it is done.

Sfc /scannow will search for corrupted files & repair them for you, so do this 1st & check Vista. If this doesn't work, then it's time to start over, & don't get the updates because 1 of the updates is causing this bvlank screen problem.

Let me know if you need more help. Please rate all the post of answers that I have given you as to how helpful they were for you. OK?!

Note: Another trick to get to the Task Manager is to press Ctrl + Shift + Esc.

Freebro...

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Hi Freebro!

Thank you for the reply! Smile  And don't worry about taking long to reply, it's no problem at all.

When i switced on the machine now to try the steps you gave me, i noticed an interesting change. There seems to be a tad more HDD activity, and when i bring up Windows using my Sticky Keys method, it now has the Aero glass theme applied. Usually, in this state, it would use the Basic Vista theme. Also, my Antivirus software attempted an update, which it never tried with my computer in this state before. Some useless information, hehe. It does look promising, tho.

Anyway, i'm able to bring up a command prompt now, and type in the command you gave me above. It requires me to be an administrator running a console session, tho. Now for an embarassing question - how do i do this again? Sorry about that silly question. I simply can't remember how to do it...

I completely forgot to rate your answers, thank you for reminding me! I'm on it. Smile

Kind regards,

~W~

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:13 PM
  • That information is not useless because it shows that your computer doesn't need to have a re-installation of Vista. This is what I wanted to hear. Also, there are no silly questions, except the 1 you don't ask...

You should open your Profile or User Account to check & make sure that you an "ADMINISTRATOR with Password." Now, when you start your computer, you will have a "Logon Screen" for the Password to perform Administrator actions. It is recommended that you have a Password to keep your information safe from prying eyes & thieves, who might steal your computer...

Here's the information to fix the problem of the blank screen:

Bring up Task manager, run a new task called regedit. This will bring up the registry, so look in the left hand column navigate to:

HKEY_local/machine/software/microsoft/WindowsNT/Currentversion/winlogon

Go to the right hand panel & double-click on Shell. (Something missing or added is in Shell, so) Replace the contents with just:

explorer.exe

Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot.

Let me know how it goes.

(Print this out for reference)

Freebro

Note: No format & reinstall Vista needed!!!

• Proposed as answer by Beauty4U Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Can some one please assist me with this problem. I have the same problem as all of you. My son has a Toshiba Qosmio F45-AV11 using Vista Ultimate os. On Wednesday we uninstalled a program that was causing the system to freeze up. It then told us we needed to up date the video driver which we did. Then it told us that there were windows up dates and once we downloaded those we got the black screen and flashing white cursor. I have done all of the things each of you said I have tried reinstalling from the boot cd, I have tried rolling back to a earlier time when the system was working fine, none of these options worked, I tried the fix start up problems from the boot cd that didn't work. I've tried the sticky key thing with no success, ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+alt+esc don't work, it won't let me boot in safe mode using the F8 key all it will allow me to do is F12 and F2 which is not helping me to solve the problem. Please help me to fix my computer.

Deseparate

Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Stacyboo59, let me help you with your problem, and let me know if you need more explaination.

Please print this page to be able to follow easier as you fix the problem.

This is a registry problem because like you I tried all that you have done, even to the point of reinstalling the Vista Ultimate OS. Do not worry about Isass.sys because it is not part of this problem. Also, if you have problems with programs shutting down with a popup that says "Run32.dll" has stopped working, this fix will stop all the problems of the blank screen with cursor.

Okay, now for the fix: (Note: you must know how to go thru a Registry & do only what needs to be done, or the OS will crash, so pay close attention to the steps.)

This problem seems to be a common issue with Vista after certain updates are downloaded & installed, so I removed all updates, after I got my Desktop back & fixed the problem in the Registry that I could, & will not download & install any more Vista updates, but will consider installing an SP2 (only if there is an SP2 put out later, but I will watch to see if others have problems, then I will not install it).

This next step is optional (but advisable) & can be done later when your system is online & running fine, unless you want to make yourself shown as an administrator for your computer. Go to Start > (signifies go to & left-click) Control Panel > User Accounts & Family Protection > User Accounts to see what is listed as your User Name & Account type > Change Your Account Type. This is where you can add or change a password to protect your computer from invasion & designate you as an administrator.

Once you select the User name and enter the Password, the screen should be going blank, & this is where the next steps will rid you of the problem.

You made an error when you tried to bring up the Task Manager with Ctrl + Alt + Esc because it should be Ctrl + Shift + Esc. (Try it to see)

Try pressing “Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to open a Greenish & Bluish Full Screen Menu of the other tasks that can be done, so select the “Task Manager” toward the bottom of the list or press “Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the “Task Manager” directly. In the Task Manager window, go to the “Menu” at the top left & click on “File” > go to “New Task” & left-click on it. A box will open for you to type the task in. Type Explorer.exe in the box and click on OK. Leave the Task Manager open because you will need it for a New Task.

You should be able to & will get the Desktop with the icons, taskbar, start menu, etc. after following those steps.

Now, you need to open a New Task again but type Regedit, & click on OK. The registry will open in a new window. Maximize the window to fill your desktop for ease of finding the registry key by double-clicking the folders in the following registry key:  

Double-click on this key one folder at a time until you get to Winlogon, then locate the “Shell”  string in the right pane. Double-click it & replace the contents with just:

Explorer.exe” (Note: Do not use the quotes!)

Click “OK”, then close the registry editor window and reboot your computer to see if Windows will start correctly from “Boot” or after “Logon” to the Desktop.

Note:

If you are not confident with working within the Registry, then get a computer tech to help you, or ask for help here, but you will do just fine, if you follow these directions carefully. Use the print-out to follow as you do the steps.

Freebro...

Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:13 AM
  •  

Freebro ,

I have attempted your fix with no luck. I cannot bring up task manager from the desktop so went through repair to access command prompts to get to the registry. Unfortunately I am getting the message that the admin account has been disabled so I have limited access and the fix will not take. I am at wits end here, any other ideas for me. Much appreciated!

Monday, October 20, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Okay HGNS, I will help you find another way to beat this problem from boot-up. (Print out for easy reference & read thru to see what you have or have not done)

Step 1:  (these will take some time, so be patient) (you may skip the ones you have tried)

A.     I don’t know all that you have done, so I will give you all that can be done with F8 to help you with this problem.

B.     Put your Vista DVD in the CD ROM, & restart the computer. Hit F8 continually until the screen fills with a list or menu of different actions you can do.

C.    Pick Last Known Good Configuration & hit enter. If the computer responds correctly, do the steps in my previous posts to get the desktop & fix the registry. If not, go to the next line.

D.    Pick Command prompt with CD ROM support, & hit enter. The command prompt should come up, so type SFC /scannow (make sure to have a space between C /), which will search & fix all bad system files. After it is done, reboot to see if the computer will come up to Logon or Desktop. If the screen is still blank with a cursor, try to do Ctrl + Shift + Esc to see if the Task Manager will come up, & if it does go to the steps to fix the problem that is above in my previous posts. If the Task Manager will not come up, go to next step.

Step 2: Time to use the Vista DVD to try to do a repair action, so when the screen comes up to run CD, do it. Follow the instructions & look for the page that will have a choice for Command Prompt &/or Repair Your Computer so run the task you want Repair.

A.     On the next page, Windows will now search for Windows Installations. Highlight Microsoft Windows Vista & click Next.

B.     You are now at the "Recovery Options" menu, select "STARTUP REPAIR".... From here, Windows will search for problems. If problems are found, then Windows will attempt to repair them.

C.    Once the repair is completed, Windows will prompt you to click "FINISH" to complete the repair. Do so unless you want to read the Diagnostic & repair details. 

D.    When Finish is clicked, the computer will now reboot, and if Windows was successful in its repair, then it should boot to the desktop or login screen. 

E.     If this does not work, go back & do “A” to “B” again in step 2, but choose to “Restore to an earlier date.”  Pick a date that was before the last time you Downloaded & Installed Vista Updates because one of the updates caused this problem. (I would suggest “Not” to download & install updates in the future, or this problem will return)  

Step 3:  Back up all data, format, & reinstall Vista.

Let me know what happens, Freebro…

Monday, October 20, 2008 9:46 AM
  • same here. i have a Toshiba A200 PSF6A  250GB, 2GB RAM, HD2600, 2GHZ, Centrino Duo with Microsoft Vista Home preimum SP1.

after turning on and displaying the BIOS menu my screen turns black, hard drive status stops blinking.

i waited 3 hrs to no avail and i repeated this over and over again repeatingly pressing the F8 button until finally after 4 tries it comes up: safe mode, normal etc.

i choose safe mode. restarted.

happened again and i kept trying to press F8 after 3 failed tries.after i got the menu up i choose normal mode.

sometimes if i just use my power source it works once or twice b4 going back to the problem. same with the battery

i have recently installed True image 2009 and created a secure zone, a partition. it started after i installed the secure zone. is there any smart genius out there have a solution?

i know its no physical problems.

is it registry or something? or is it a virus (i very much doubt, i online scanned my comp with kaspersky, ESET and trend micro. not a single malware to b found!)

oh and system restore DOES NOT WORK

can some1 please help?!!!     so much for stupid vista . knew i shoulda told the guy to install xp / mac then vista!

(i dun want to tell me parents yet, so no paying, repair shops, computer shops just yet ok?)

Monday, October 20, 2008 10:37 AM
  •  

Okay sw7071068212, 

Please print this out for following the instructions.

This could be BIOS settings were changed by the new software you installed.  The reason I say this is there are 2 indications that your BIOS has been altered. If I understand you correctly, you said that the blank screen happens after the BIOS check & the hard-drive seems to stop. If the blank screen is happening at this point, there is not much that can be done from me because the BIOS needs to be checked for the right values. If you do not know how to set these values correctly, the laptop will be an over-priced paper weight, but let's not go there.

Go into the BIOS at boot-up (use the pause button to stop the loading, so you can see how to access the BIOS), & reset to default values to be safe. Here is a URL for Toshiba's support page: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp

The Toshiba that you bought seems to be a Vista only model because of the drivers I saw are the type for Vista priority hardware, like my HP-Compaq. I tried to install Win XP Pro but to no avail, so I was forced to go to Vista. If I had known this fact, I would have searched harder for an XP Pro compatible. Anyway, now I know a lot about Vista & its Quirks. 1 of the updates is causing the blank screen, but I don’t know which 1, so I uninstalled all the updates, & I will not download & install any more.

I mentioned this problem could be caused by the new software that you installed - Acronis True Image Home 2009 URL: http://www.tweakhound.com/blog/?p=582 - for creating a backup for your system & files, plus you created a partition as a secure zone, but there is a problem with that. Vista needs to be deep fragmented to consolidate files together so as to keep a partition from cutting thru an installed program or system files.

I believe the partition that you created did just that, & your system has lost files that Vista needs to load properly. All is not lost, but this will be hard to fix, if you cannot get to a command prompt. Load the Vista DVD in the CD ROM & restart your computer. As the computer starts up, keep tapping the F8 button to bring up a menu of actions to perform to start your computer in like safe mode, command prompt with or without CD ROM, etc. When you have a command prompt with CD ROM, type SFC /scannow & hit enter to run. This is a system file checker to fix lost system files. It will take some time to check, so be patient. There will be a detail list of files found bad & fixed. At the command prompt, type win & hit enter to load Vista. If Vista doesn’t load, restart the computer to see if it will work better or is fixed.

If you get further to the blank screen with cursor, we can get the desktop from there. Look back on this thread & print out the instructions on how to bring up the Task Manager to load a new task – explorer.exe – to load the Desktop & next - regedit – to fix the registry problem. Follow the instruction carefully.

You should be able to fix this. Let me know how it goes.

Freebro… (Not a Genius)

Monday, October 20, 2008 1:55 PM
  •  Freebro wrote:

Okay HGNS, I will help you find another way to beat this problem from boot-up. (Print out for easy reference & read thru to see what you have or have not done)

Step 1:  (these will take some time, so be patient) (you may skip the ones you have tried)

A.     I don’t know all that you have done, so I will give you all that can be done with F8 to help you with this problem.

B.     Put your Vista DVD in the CD ROM, & restart the computer. Hit F8 continually until the screen fills with a list or menu of different actions you can do.

C.    Pick Last Known Good Configuration & hit enter. If the computer responds correctly, do the steps in my previous posts to get the desktop & fix the registry. If not, go to the next line.

D.    Pick Command prompt with CD ROM support, & hit enter. The command prompt should come up, so type SFC /scannow (make sure to have a space between C /), which will search & fix all bad system files. After it is done, reboot to see if the computer will come up to Logon or Desktop. If the screen is still blank with a cursor, try to do Ctrl + Shift + Esc to see if the Task Manager will come up, & if it does go to the steps to fix the problem that is above in my previous posts. If the Task Manager will not come up, go to next step.

Step 2: Time to use the Vista DVD to try to do a repair action, so when the screen comes up to run CD, do it. Follow the instructions & look for the page that will have a choice for Command Prompt &/or Repair Your Computer so run the task you want Repair.

A.     On the next page, Windows will now search for Windows Installations. Highlight Microsoft Windows Vista &      click Next.   

B.     You are now at the "Recovery Options" menu, select "STARTUP REPAIR".... From here, Windows will search for problems. If problems are found, then Windows will attempt to repair them.

C.    Once the repair is completed, Windows will prompt you to click "FINISH" to complete the repair. Do so unless you want to read the Diagnostic & repair details. 

D.    When Finish is clicked, the computer will now reboot, and if Windows was successful in its repair, then it should boot to the desktop or login screen. 

E.     If this does not work, go back & do “A” to “B” again in step 2, but choose to “Restore to an earlier date.”  Pick a date that was before the last time you Downloaded & Installed Vista Updates because one of the updates caused this problem. (I would suggest “Not” to download & install updates in the future, or this problem will return)  

OK, I have used up all of the steps here as well. *sigh* Only difference being that it is a Toshiba Laptop that like most now days did not come with the actual Vista OS disk. (I sure love the cheap @#*$&^$(# for not wanting to give a disk with the systems that they send out, because they have the recovery partition.) Anyhoo to get to where I needed to be along my troubleshooting path, I googled and found a repair disk for Vista offered up from NeoSmart Technologies. Downloaded and burned it to disk, then popped it in and followed the directions for recovery and or repair, it went through the recovery but still no desk top, tried to do a repair from command, it tells me that it cannot perform the action until restart, so I exit restart and wait for it to come back up and start on doing the repair..it does not, just goes back in like it is going to boot, goes to login screen and then fades to black once again. Totally frustrating to say the least.

Step 3:  Back up all data, format, & reinstall Vista.

I was soooooooooooo afraid you were going to say that. lol 

Come on now, have we REALLY exhausted all possible fixes?? (Gawd I am starting to whine here, and I really hate it when I have to whine.lol)  This is a client machine..I hate Vista, have backed up data from them before on a couple machines but that was when the boss was around and from under his watchful eye should anything run amok..boss is on vacation this week and wouldn't you know it, I have this one thorn in my side to deal with.

One more question Freebro, I do have access to a tech machine with an external drive case to be able to hook this one up, woould there be the possibility of hand picking out and removing what I do believe to be the offending updates that are causing this? I am not afraid to do it, just not sure of the path I should take to get to them or the safety of it as I have not touched on that are yet.  Oh and BTW, did I mention that I HATE VISTA??? lol

Let me know what happens, Freebro…

Thanks again for the time you take to help,  it is very much appreciated. 

Monday, October 20, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Okay HGNS,    (again, read & print this for the directions)

Well, with this extra information, we may be able to get further without reinstalling windows.

Important Note:

Did you know that the manufacturer has to or must send you a copy of the installed windows recovery disks because it is the Law?! Yup, you paid for a copy & license of Windows, so they owe you!!! The manufacturers & sales people, also, don't tell you to create a set of recovery disks or do a complete PC backup after you have installed everything you need to for work & play, but this is what every customer needs to know.

When you got the blank screen with cursor, did you try the ctrl + shift + esc to see if task manager would come straight up? If the task manager will come up, use the File > New Task > explorer.exe & the desktop will come up. Then you can File > New Task > regedit to bring up the registry & fix the bad Shell string:

Double-click on this key one folder at a time until you get to Winlogon, then locate the “Shell”  string in the right pane. Double-click it & replace the contents with just:

Click “OK”, then close the registry editor window and reboot your computer to see if Windows will start correctly from “Boot” or after “Logon” to the Desktop.

I have a lot of time on my hands since I’m 100% disabled & unemployable, so my mind is still sharp, & I want to help people.

Please let me know if this helps you,

Freebro…

PS I just learned from TweakHound that you can take a shortcut to the Run Command – Windows Key + R will bring up the Run Windows you need for explorer.exe & regedit.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:26 AM
  • hello Freebro

thanks , i already have a Vista DVD ( used to install on my desktop comp)

what do i type in again can u put in EXACTLY what i have to type like "SFC /something".

the chances are if u put in the "SFC /scannow" correctly AND this is the issue, i would be having a perfectly good computer by the time u see this.

i have also used CCleaner and registry mechanic to fix my registry probs in case it is the registry as somewhere in the post it said something to with lsass.sys. ( i have not touched  lsass.sys)

thanks for all the explanation. u really r a genius. my school IT people dont have a single clue on how to fix my comp............

also can i also contact u on some other issues i have?

PS: any way can u also tell me on how to create a partition that is VISIBLE from explorer.exe using the windows partition creater or some other software.

thanks mate.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:00 AM
  •  

hello i have done what u sugested.

i have set my BIOS menu to default configration and run  SFC/ scannow in safe mode with command prompt.

the eroor has been sucessfully fixed TEMPORARILY.

after a few boots it went back to the blue screen.

i ran ccleaner and registr mechanic in case it was the registry's fault.

do u have any more suggestions?

thanks!

PS: oh one thing i find really amusing is this on the back of vista home preimum:

"A more secure and reliable windows OS"

"take advantage of updated features including Windows Defender (oh yeah, strangely dosent detect anything), Parental controls and Self healing (self healing? what the ____ do u call this microsoft? so much for self healing, look whats happening here mate)

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:24 AM
  •  

Okay sw7071068212, 

You didn’t tell me that your computer is okay until now. I was writting an answer for you other blog for help.

There's a small problem with the "SFC<space>/scannow" command because it cannot repair some problems, but it will tell you in am log file what is bad. I ran this check on my laptop & still got a message that it couldn't repair 1 problem. I, also, use System Mechanic Pro 8, but it still misses some registry problems. I've tried RegCure without perfect fixes, so I don't know of a program that is 100% accurate, except going into the Registry, searching, & correcting the problems by hand 1 @ a time...

Got to do this:

When you got the blank screen with cursor, did you try the ctrl + shift + esc to see if task manager would come straight up? If the task manager will come up, use the File > New Task > explorer.exe & the desktop will come up. Then you can File > New Task > regedit to bring up the registry & fix the bad Shell string:

I have an email on my profile that I use for helping people, so feel free to contact me with that 1.

Any partition you make can have different properties such as normal (visible), read only, or hidden. The normal & read only will be seen in the Windows Explorer as another hard-drive (HDD). If you have 2 partitions on drive 0, then drive 0 will be C;\ & the other partition will be D:\ unless there's a second slave HDD, which will be D"\ & the other portion of HDD C:\ will be E:\. In other words, the partitions show up in windows explorer after the physical HDDs.

Freebro...
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:49 AM
  • Have tried the cntrl shift esc yes, no luck.

Unfortunately I still cannot access the registry with administrative rights so any changes made there are null because with limited rights it just changes things back to what they were.

Also tried the TweakHound suggestion with no joy there either.

I am waiting on a call from the owner now, I spoke with her mother this morning to see if I could get any other info that might assist in researching this problem. Her mother did tell me that before the actual black screen started occuring, her daughter talked of a bluish screen that would show..she called it a mirror screen? I am uncertain as to what she meant by that so waiting to talk to her directly...am hoping that this will help get us a little further along. In the meantime I am going to hook her drive to the tech machine and back up her data just in case.

If anything, this has been a learning experience..lol but hopefully we can find a fix for it for future reference as well.

Thanks again for your time, again it is appreciated.

Oh did I mention..heh heh I hate VISTA? Wink

Have a great day Freebro.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Okay HGNS,

Just reply to this little note, & I will get back to you. Just remember to give as many details as possible, so I can brainstorm.

Happy hunting,

Freebro...

PS I'm not so thrilled about Vista either, but I loved Windows 98SE!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:09 AM
  • Sorry Freebo,
    i don't think u understand my situation here. (sorry maybe i didnt explain it correctly)

When my comp boots up, after displaying the Toshiba BIOS menu my screen turns black and stays like that forever.
    sometimes (1 out of 3 or 4 tries), repeatingly pressing F8, the options so up and i can  still use my computer normally.
    this definitely has something to do with Aronis True Image 2009 (we paid for it, not trial verison) after i created a "Secure Zone", a partition. or it has something to do with Microsoft Update.

i have done the "SFC /scannow" in safe mode with cmd (didnt find anything in the system scan). and i have reset my BIOS to defualt configuration.

this has only temporarily fixed it though.
    after a few boots it went back to problem  (
    displaying the Toshiba BIOS menu then the screen turns black)

is there any other recovery options WITHOUT USING recovery disk / reinstall of vista.

(A200 Satelliate (TOSHIBA) Microsoft Vista Home Preimum SP1, 2gb Ram, 2ghz, centrino duo, HD2600 ATI graphics card.)

Model number: PSAF6A (02J0IN)

if you want to see a video of my laptop, i can send this you through your email.

thanks for all your help!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:01 AM
  •  

Whelp mom called me back and staying with the same stuff. Nothing new.

Thanks again Freegbro, again appreciate your time and effort.

Going to try the recovery and see how that goes. I am starting to think that I am going to have to order the recovery disk, the one that I downloaded was for repair. Oh btw Mom found out from daughter the disk was actually lost..the HAD recieved one.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:11 PM
  •  

Yup sw7071068212, 

You’re right because I’m a little confused. I thought you told me that you got the desktop finally by doing F8, so I thought that you had done the Registry Fix, but it sounds like you didn’t get that far or into the Task Manager.

I really would like to see the Video, so I can see how it reacts. I could examine the details as they happen to see how far the computer gets. Go to my profile & use that email address that I have posted, & I will get it because I will be looking for it. Tell me in the email how you know me because of all the spasm, & this is my anti-spam account.

Freebro…

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:31 AM
  • Hey sw7071068212, 

Send the video to this email address: TheFreebro@hotmail.com, so I can examine it.

Freebro...
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:17 PM
  •  Wolferssa wrote:
    Hey Freebro! Thank you muchly again ^.^

I followed your instructions, and even tho ctrl+shift+esc (tapping on esc, right?) failed to bring up the Task Manager, i played around a bit and discovered that Sticky Keys still worked! Tapping Shift 5 times popped up the little confirmation dialog. From there i was able to go into control panel, and there i started explorer.exe! I had my wallpaper, taskbar and desktop icons right back. I tried to run "regedit", but nothing happens. Same thing with "msconfig". I just get a busy pointer. Still, i can now access my folders and files, which is just great! After a while, explorer disappears again, but my desktop background remains. When i try to use sticky keys again, i can just hear the sound, but the little window does not appear anymore.

We're getting somewhere - what do you suggest from here?

Regards,
    ~W~

I have been looking at every forum for an answer to the blackscreen with cursor problem I have. I have tried every suggestion and nothing worked for the last week.

I am able to get the Sticky Key message to pop up but dont understand how Wolfersa was able to get to the control panel from there. 

Also, is it possible to run sfc /scannow in the command prompt from the recovery cd? When I try, i keep getting a message that Windows Resource Protection will not let me do this function. Probably because you need admin privileges. So I'm stuck there too. 

BTW CHKDSK C: /F does not find anything wrong with the disk

Also whenever I adjust the shell string to 'explorer. exe' using command prompt from the recovery cd, it resets back to what it was before at boot.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Hello roemul4,

Basically, there's nothing wrong with the hard-drive (HDD), so Chkdsk is giving you the right answer. The problems are in the Registry, & I am having trouble with that problem, again, because of a registry repair program, Registry Mechanic, is checking my registry & putting the tagged on "C:\Windows\system32\" after the explorer.exe, which should be the only words in the Shell. I do not know why this is happening, so I need to investigate further.

I do not know if you tried the ctrl+shift+esc (I do this by holding down ctrl+shift & tap the esc key) to bring the Task Manager straight up from the blank screen, but it should work. It seams to be the Vista updates causing the problem, so that's something that I removed (all but 3 wouldn't Uninstall) & will not install again.

When my Vista Ultimate runs correctly, the laptop is unbeatable. But, I feel that Vista has too many problems right now, so maybe there will be a good SP2 come out to correct Vista problems, so it will run correctly. I love the way it looks in Aero Mode (graphics are amazing), but I need constant productivity from my laptop.

I do not know what else to do that hasn't been aready posted here in these pages. Most of the fixes that I have suggested start on page 6 on to the end. Just look thru the posts & print out the information & study it. I do not know what to tell you. Sorry...

Freebro...

PS What we have accomplish so far is just a temporary fix, & this really erks me because MicroSoft should be all over this problem. Instead, we the customers are doing what their techs should be doing. This problem of the Blank Screen with Cursor is a Major problem & should get the utmost attention from MSCE's of MicroSoft.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 8:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Freebro,

Unfortunately ctrl-alt-del does not work for me; ctr-shift-esc also does not work. The only respond from the cpu that I can generate with my keyboard is tapping shift 5 times, bringing up the sticky key message.

My previous restore points have also disappeared, and safe boot does not work in any setting.

I have a re-install and recovery cd but when I use command prompt in there I can't seem to change anything because of WIndows Security preventing me from doing it.

I can do regedit from prompt using the recovery cd, but it does not save what I changed. Is there any registry tools for vista I can buy or download that can help change the registry settings?

My only hope was the comment a previous poster made about getting to the control panel via the sticky keys trick, but I don't now how he did that. It has not worked for me to duplicate his achievement.

Thanks,

RoeM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Hey RoeM,

You have a serious problem because you can't get to the desktop or do anything to the registry & make the changes stick. I know this is frustrating because it drove me nuts, too! I've never had the severity of your problem, so I don't know what could be effective; however, there are programs to fix the registry on the market. I use System Mechanic Pro 8, but I still got the blank screen with cursor problem.

Most of us on this site & other sites believe that this problem is in the Vista OS, but I don't have the knowledge or skills of a program writer to fix Vista. I hate to say it, but Microsoft is ignoring us for reasons unknown to us, except that Big MS got our money, so We are on our own for now.

There is 1 more shortcut that I posted but 4got where I put it & comes to my mind. You can get the "Run" command from holding the "Windows Key" (looks like the MS Flag Logo) down & hitting the letter "R", & the Run Window will come up. I tried this today, & it worked for me. Every command run from the Run Box should be automatically run as an administrator, so you will be able to save what you have done. Try to do this Run & let me know exactly how it goes.

Freebro...

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:59 AM
  • I really appreciate all the help and tips you guys have given. Window key-R was non responsive too. 

I finally gave up today and reformatted my drivee and reinstalled vista, having to re-install and connect tons of apps and games and prefs. It sucked, but at least I have a pc again (for a bit...)

Thanks for trying to help Freebro, unfortunately I gave up not wanting to wait a year for Microsoft to get their head out of their @ss.

RoeM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Hey RoeM,

Sorry to hear that, & let me give you a little advice about Vista. DO NOT download & install any updates because these are part of the problem that is put into the registry.

Freebro...
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:06 AM
  •  jtbh7558 wrote:

I rebooted my computer and it has a black screen with a cursor and I can't do anything.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:07 AM
  • Hi Sithara,

Please print this page to be able to follow easier as you fix the problem.

Okay, now for the fix: (Note: you must know how to go thru a Registry & do only what needs to be done, or the OS will crash, so pay close attention to the steps.)

This next step is optional (but advisable) & can be done later when your system is online & running fine, unless you want to make yourself shown as an administrator for your computer. Go to Start > (signifies go to & left-click) Control Panel > User Accounts & Family Protection > User Accounts to see what is listed as your User Name & Account type > Change Your Account Type. This is where you can add or change a password to protect your computer from invasion & designate you as an administrator.

Once you select the User name and enter the Password, the screen should be going blank, & this is where the next steps will rid you of the problem.

Bring up the Task Manager with Ctrl + Shift + Esc, or hold the Windows Key, which looks like the Windows Logo Flag, & hit the letter “R” key (this method brings the Task Manager straight up). If these don’t work, try pressing “Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to open a Greenish & Bluish Full Screen Menu of the other tasks that can be done, & select the “Task Manager” toward the bottom of the.

In the Task Manager window, go to the “Menu” at the top left & click on “File” > go to “New Task” & left-click on it. A box will open for you to type the task in. Type Explorer.exe in the box and click on OK. Leave the Task Manager open because you will need it for a New Task.

You should be able to & will get the
    Desktop with the icons, taskbar, start menu, etc. after following those steps.

*(See Note) Now, you need to open a New Task again but type Regedit, & click on OK. The registry will open in a new window. Maximize the window to fill your desktop for ease of finding the registry key by double-clicking the folders in the following registry key:  

Explorer.exe” (Note: Do not use the quotes! Also, check to see if any other words are there & remove them.)

*Note:

Freebro...

PS     This problem seems to be a common issue with Vista after certain updates are downloaded & installed, so, after I got my Desktop back & fixed the problem in the Registry that I could I remove all updates using the Control Panel, I will not download & install any more Vista updates, but will consider installing an SP2 (only if there is an SP2 put out later, but I will watch to see if others have problems, then I will not install it).

Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:58 AM
  • Hi Wolferssa

I had exactly your same problem (on MacBook Pro) and I found the same solution as you (5 times shift).

But I did a step forward and I solved the problem.

I launched MSconfig and disabled everything. Then I re-started Vista and this time it started correctly although with several services disabled.

Then I begun to launch a few services a time and I found that the VGA driver was damaged.

The problem was not due to registry nor a trojan, since my registry was correct as by instruction of Freebro.

If you have not already formatted your PC, if you follow my suggestions, much probaby you will solve your problem too (it must be, since it is the same)

Good luck

PS: in case you want to email me: giovanni.soldi@gmail.com

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Freebro thanks for all your imput

I am trying to fix my girlfriend's Dell D630 with Vista.  She has the problem with the "black screen".  It started about a month ago when she was on her computer it was working fine and one day it seemed/looked like it crashed like a normal blue screen idea.  Now when i start the computer up the screen goes right into the "Black screen"  I tried to set it to a different day setting hoping that it will fix the problem.  This helped worked for like about 5 mins. then same problem.  What happens now is I can start the computer and about 95% the time it goes into the Black screen,  and 5 % of the time it will start and I can sign on and be able to use the computer then go back to "Black screen after 10 mins or so" and it goes into the 95% going straight to black screen.

I had a feeling it might be caused by an update that went bad.

My question for you freebro or anyone out there who can help.  Is how do I get to these step to task manager and what not when i can not even get there from the beginning.  Should I keep restarted until that 5% works, and go from there.

I tried to reinstall vista, and willing to do that, but the CD seems like it is not working.  I either start it up and it goes black, or then it loads normally like signing onto the computer.  When should the reinstalling kick in?

Anyhelp will be huge help.

I am recommending everyone I know not to get Vista.  And it seems from this site that this is a huge problem

Pat
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Hey Biddy85, 

Did you try all the steps above? You should be able to do the 2 steps to bring up the Task Manager at the blank screen, but, if you can't, then see if the desktop will come up normal & go straight into Task Manager by using the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to bring it up immediately. Follow the steps above Giannni's message.

Read the message just above yours & see if you find a spytbot, trojan, etc causing a problem for you. I checked my laptop & found nothing with my spybot & virus killers.

Let me know just how far you get.

Freebro...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:58 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me

I finally got on last night and reinstalled Vista.  Seems like it fixed it.  The only thing I am confused by is that her Hard Drive only has 28 gb free out of an 80 gb drive.  I thought when you reinstall it would wipe the hard drive clean.  I could be wrong.

How do i turn the automatic updates off?

Thanks for your threads,  It was helpful when i was pulling my hair out last night trying to figure this out

P.S.  I reinstalled it b.c I did do your steps in Task manager and the explorer thing was in the name.  Thought that might of not been the problem, thats why I reinstalled.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Hey Pat,

Sorry to hear about the re-install, but sometimes that's the only resort. Did you try the repair from the DVD?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Well It was working for about a day after the re install, but now it isnt.  It automatic updated again, and now same problem.  I go and turn the computer on, but it is a black screen right off at the start.  The computer is running, but I cant do anything.

How do I turn off automatic updates off?
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Usually, Vista will wipe the hard-drive on any install, but a re-install will cause the Windows folder to be changed to Windows.old & be pushed to the side. I don't like for Vista to do that because everything has to be re-installed. Check to see if the Windows.old file is in the Windows Explorer when you bring it up.

Now about Automatic Updates, just go to the Control Panel from the Start Button & find Security & click on it. The Security Center will be at the top, so find & click on Automatic Updating On & Off to open the Choose How Windows Can Install Updates. Several choices will be shown, so choose the "Never Check For Updates" & Uncheck the Box for Recommended Updates. If this window will not let you change anything, then open "Check this computer's security settings" & another window will open up. Security Essentials will be the window that opens, so go to Auto Updating & check to see the setting of it & change it if you can. (Either way, you may have to start your computer with administrative rights.) Close out the Control Panel & Restart the computer to make the new settings stick.

About this part:

P.S.  I reinstalled it b.c I did do your steps in Task manager and the "explorer thing was in the name."  Thought that might of not been the problem, thats why I reinstalled.

Eventhough the explorer was in the Task Manager, the program may not be running to full function, so it is best to us File> Run> Explorer in the box> Click to go... Or, was the explorer in the box or shown running in task Manager? Anyway, this should get you going.

PS Remember Not to install any Updates & remove the Updates already in the Installed Programs Section of the Control Panel.

Freebro...

Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:32 PM
  • I reinstalled with the DVD (twice) and it fixed the problem. But after a while same problems start again. I figured out that it was the goddamn video-driver update from standard VGA to NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS.hope this helps you out Freebro. These problems started with a blue screen of death about month a go and Im using Fujitsu Siemens intel Core2 Duo with Vista Home Premium.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:58 PM
  • I'm just like the other guys having this problem because we are still trying to find the root of the problem, but it's not a driver of any kind on my laptop. The blank screen with cursor happened after I got the 1st three updatess for Vista. I will find the problem & fix it somehow. 

Freebro...
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 6:56 AM
  • Recently there have been some blog posts about a solution to this. Has anyone tried this:

http://sbsc.techcareteam.com/archives/325

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Well guys been months to find a solution with vista ..But now im running Windows seven and basically have done almost everything said on these forums ..checked all the registry and everything is in place ...

the only problem is i cant use my geforce 8600 gt ...windows seven updates the card on setup ..i can use the os if i disable the card but no games or anything that requires a graphic card ..its so fraustrating buying a new machine and you cant get any of the new benefits from it ..

im thinking ill by a card that isnt nvidia ..not to have a proper fix within updates or Nvidia is just a damn joke and sorta criminal ..

So as of now Windows seven + geforce 8600gt dosent look good

Any help would be good ...probably get a new card in weeks time if i get no joy with this ..let you guys know how i go
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:55 AM
  • I have a black screen on startup and when I use task manager I type explorer.exe in the new task I get my desktop and everything bavk. What is causing this problem?
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:23 PM
  • MY name is Asif Maqbool. I have Laptop Toshiba Satellite 2590s. My laptop have difficult probleb that duration with Starting laptop appears Black Screen. And No appear hardware setup.
    Plz gave me answer.
    My ID: asifmqbl401@gmail.com
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:27 AM
  • hey Freeboro;

You seem to be the go to person here. My wife began having probelms booting we are assuming after a windows update. We made that assumption since neither of us has added an application software to her laptop. The only other assumption would be a trojan or spyware.

In anycase, it began when a storm was approaching so we shut her laptop down. When we tried to boot by pressing the start button, NOTHING. Just black screen. She pressed the button several times and then the DOS menu started. Without going thru all the previous messages you have responded to, we tried all the different option for laoding windows and each time one of them turned out to be successful but never the same option.

Without making this too long, she is currently in Florida and I am in Michigan. I was wondering if the problem is DOS related or operating system related?

After we are able to bring the system up, is there a way for me/her to create a bootable disk (which she does not have) from windows? We are not novices but nor are we advanced users. We can follow instructions on how to do so if you have an answer for us.

I have checked a few blogs and am confused on the bootable disk we would need in order for her to get past the boot problem and still have access to all her drives and hardware and a workable operating system.

Better yet, have you a solution to her boot/black screen problem?

Thanks in advance.

BTW: she has VISTA on a Dell laptop
    gutz
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Hi Freebro~ thanks alot!! you saved my day!! =)
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:21 AM
  • This FIXED my Black Screen of Death problem. Go to F8 boot menu and pick "Disable driver signature enforcement at boot-up". I had only mouse cursor up, and CTRL+ALT+DEL/CTRL+SHIFT+ESC did not work, but this fixed the problem. I made sure to clean up all temp files and stuff with Ccleaner and webroot cleanup after the successful login. Gonna repeat the fix so everyone can see.

"Disable driver signature enforcement at boot-up"

Hope this helps.
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 2:28 PM
  • This is only a temp solution but we are still working on this issue.

If you can log onto the computer in safe mode, access the c:\windows\prefetch folder.  Please take note of the files that were updated within that folder (recent files).  Screenshot or write them down for later research/use.

Delete out the contents of the prefetch folder (windows will recreate them upon next bootup).  Make sure after deletion that you defrag the hard drive. 

Reboot the computer is normal mode and see if that works.

So far this works to a certain extent.  On some computers the issue happens again however we are investigating what files were updated and we will go from there

Good luck!
    Neil Marutani
    Medicis

Friday, March 05, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Hello,

After the logging in as a domain user on Vista Business 32 machines, I only get to the blank screen. The mouse cursor is visible and movable; task manager does not show up or function. This event only happens after any domain user logs in; local users does not have this problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Saturday, April 03, 2010 6:09 AM
  • same problems - that gradually got worse.

The answer was - my monitor was dying. Got a new monitor - all OK

Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Win 7 desktop icons, taskbar disappear, and no task manager after reboot for me, but resolved it by making my monitor DIGITAL as default setting instead of Analog that Win 7 did automatically.  The new setting to DIGITAL, completely repaired the problem.  Keep in mind I am using HDMI hookup for my monitor, which is DIGITAL.  Hope this helps someone.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:31 PM