none
Event ID 2 error - Homegorup Log has failed to start

Question

• Folks,
    Each and every boot up leaves the following event ID error  -- any thoughts? Bug?

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
    Date:          1/18/2009 1:39:42 PM
    Event ID:      2
    Task Category: control session
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      session
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Owner-PC
    Description:
    Session "Homegroup Log" has failed to start with the following error(s) 0xC0000035
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}" />
        <EventID>2</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>4</Task>
        <Opcode>20</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-01-18T18:39:42.704101500Z" />
        <EventRecordID>9</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1008" ThreadID="2848" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="SessionName">Homegroup Log</Data>
        <Data Name="FileName">
        </Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">3221225525</Data>
        <Data Name="LoggingMode">285212677</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:06 PM

All replies

• Do you have a printer attached but not shared? Your network LAN is trying to find something. You may need a better print driver
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Proposed as answer by sommoner Monday, March 21, 2011 5:34 AM
    Monday, January 19, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Hi Mark,

No printer attached at this point, nothing shared, just free standing machine.

Further thoughts?

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:32 PM
  • The Performance Monitor creates those logs. I would look around for something running in there. I don't think it's default for the Homegroup to have a log going. I would guess some hardware driver failure. like a network card device driver is doing that.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:38 PM
  •  >I would guess some hardware driver failure. like a network card device driver is doing that.

Nope, no failures listed. I'll just ignore it for now.

Gib

PS Hey, nice picture Mark! Haven't I seen you on nanae in the past?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Hi!

Just installed my Windows Seven Public beta (build 7000). And I've got the same error message in system events.

Date:          02.02.2009 9:32:48
    Task Category: control session
    Keywords:      session
    Computer:      SERVER
    Description:
    Session "Homegroup Log" has failed to start with the following error(s) 0xC0000035
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}" />
        <EventID>2</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>4</Task>
        <Opcode>20</Opcode>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-02-02T06:32:48.034712200Z" />
        <EventRecordID>40</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1016" ThreadID="1776" />
        <Computer>SERVER</Computer>
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="FileName">
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    • Proposed as answer by Don__Robin Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Don__Robin Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:20 PM
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:40 AM
  • Does anybody have the same issues?
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 9:48 AM
  • yeah man.. mines almost identical to yours.  i look forward to hearing some solutions. 

im using:

windows 7
    asus p5q pro
    intel e8400
    corsair dominator two 2x1gb @ 1066 kits downgraded to a lower mhz
    corsair 750 W psu
    xfx 9800gt

i recently overclocked and have been having issues. 

i have been clearing my cmos frequently due to failed overclocking.

i also flashed my bios earlier today.
    Friday, February 06, 2009 4:49 AM
  • By the way i'm using ASUS Commando (intel P965 chipset), EVGA 8800GTX, 4x1gb OCZ, PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750W.
    Sunday, February 08, 2009 2:56 PM
  • I am seeing the same Kernel-EventTracing Event 2, several times in a row, a second or less apart.

In my case, the text is:

Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" has failed to start with the following error(s) 0xC0000035.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Nothing to worry about, the system repeatedly tries to start the logger session until it succeeds. A temporary failure to start mostly (but not always) happens during a system state transition from standby -> running.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:37 PM
  • willy denoyette said:

Nothing to worry about, the system repeatedly tries to start the logger session until it succeeds. A temporary failure to start mostly (but not always) happens during a system state transition from standby -> running.

Hey, I'm not worried, I just wondered why it continually generates the same error message. This is not a "temporary" failure, but and ongoing, always repeated error and from the posts in this thread, I am not the only one getting it.

So...msft folks, can you address and fix this error?

Gib
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:58 PM
  •  

Since your question or comment has gone unanswered, you can send your request to the development team in this thread. 

Have Comments about Windows 7 Beta

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:13 PM
  • lately i had been having a weird boot sequence thats possibly related. 

ill push the power on button, the pc fires up, 1second later it shuts off,  then two seconds later boots and runs fine with my OC remaining.

ive spoken with various tech support's about this.  Corsair claims the problem is related to my P45 chipset and my 4x1gb of ram. 

this doesnt happen everytime i boot.  perhaps some others have something similar.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:25 PM
  • > lately i had been having a weird boot sequence thats possibly related. 

How so? I reported and Event ID homegroup error, this is not a boot error. Suggest you post in hardware thread.

>ill push the power on button, the pc fires up, 1second later it shuts off,  then two seconds later boots and runs fine with my OC remaining.

Try pushing the power button the second time only :)

>ive spoken with various tech support's about this.  Corsair claims the problem is related to my P45 chipset and my 4x1gb of ram. 

Then run a memtest and check your chips. (Search for memtest, go from there).

>this doesnt happen everytime i boot.  perhaps some others have something similar.

Perhaps it is related to your keyboard somehow. Apparently your caps key is not working and the BIOS signals an error at POST and it someohow corrupts the master boot record. Just a thought...

Gib
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:15 PM
  •  

Gib Macs of the Lumber Cartel said:

willy denoyette said:

Nothing to worry about, the system repeatedly tries to start the logger session until it succeeds. A temporary failure to start mostly (but not always) happens during a system state transition from standby -> running.

Hey, I'm not worried, I just wondered why it continually generates the same error message. This is not a "temporary" failure, but and ongoing, always repeated error and from the posts in this thread, I am not the only one getting it.

So...msft folks, can you address and fix this error?

Gib

My reply was actually meant for bnborg, sorry about the confusion.

bnborg said:

I am seeing the same Kernel-EventTracing Event 2, several times in a row, a second or less apart.

In my case, the text is:

Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" has failed to start with the following error(s) 0xC0000035.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 9:24 AM
  •  The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may become unavailable

You might be having some problem in the power settings. I would try this Vista fix.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:00 PM
  • willy denoyette said:

I figured this was directed at me.

Thanks.

Brian
    Monday, February 23, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Gib Macs of the Lumber Cartel:

Have you tried Windows 7 RC to see if this problem is fixed?

-Nick
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Gib Macs of the Lumber Cartel:

Have you tried Windows 7 RC to see if this problem is fixed?

-Nick

Nick - I installed Windows 7 RC (build 7100) on a newer platform and went with the 64 bit edition. I do not see the same Homegroup error that I saw on build 7000, 32 bit edition.

So, does this mean:

1. The "problem" (which no one ever admitted to) has truly been fixed?

or

2. Is the error not showing in the 64 bit version for some reason?

Is anyone else still showing this error?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Same issue here only it's occurring an average of 15 times per day since I installed the RC.  With the BETA it occurred less frequently. 
    Dell Dimension 9100
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 Ghz 2992Mhz   32 Bit
    4Gig RAM
    Win 7 RC  6.1.7100

I'm not sure if it's related, but Win 7 freezes many times throughout the day.

The only software installed is:
    MS Office 2007 Enterprise Ed
    MS Visio Professional
    MS Visual Studio 2008

I've completed a fresh install twice now with the same results.  I find one error and one warning in the log files:

1)  Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

2)  Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -

1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-542818234-3617776949-410497509-1001:

Process 2848 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-542818234-3617776949-410497509-1001

Thursday, July 02, 2009 1:05 AM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same error in the "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin" log (from Custom Views, Administrative Events)
    I just installed Windows 7 RC1 (Build 7100) on my laptop (Lenovo T61) yesterday and today when I booted up, I closed the lid for a moment during the boot. I realized it went to standby mode. When I opened the lid again, it tried to come back from standby, but the screen was black. I tried to close the lid and open again to let it to go to standby and back again, but the screen was still black and I couldn't see the login screen. So I shut down from the button.
    After I restarted, I could log in and seemed to be ok, but one gadget from the desktop was missing (weather gadget). I tried to open up gadgets (right click on desktop and select Gadgets), but nothing comes up, even after rebooting several times.
    This is how I started to troubleshoot in Event Viewer and found the same message about "Homegroup Log". I don't think is related to Gadgets, probably I had this error before but never looked in Event Viever before.
    I guess coming back from standby was a bug, it shouldn't happen like that.

This is my related event log message:

Date:          7/24/2009 11:27:54 AM
    Task Category: Session
    Keywords:      Session
    Computer:      T61
    Description:
    Session "Homegroup Log" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <EventID>2</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Opcode>12</Opcode>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-07-24T15:27:54.876067400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>9</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="924" ThreadID="3940" />
        <Computer>T61</Computer>
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="FileName">
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Friday, July 24, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Same error here.  Win7 Ultimate x64 RTM.  Has there been any solution?
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:18 PM
  • I didn't get that error under Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing for a while now. Yesterday I just found one more error, but I used my laptop for many days since I checked before and it didn't happen every day. I cleared yesterday and I will see if I will have it again. Today is still clear after reboot.
    I had a few windows updates since then, it might be fixed by one of them.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:11 PM
  • anyone fix this i get this with not beta version of windows 7 home premium all the friken time driving me nuts what is fix for this anyone figure it out?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:48 AM
  • I am seeing the same Kernel-EventTracing Event 2, several times in a row, a second or less apart.

In my case, the text is:

Same here. I don't know if it's related but I noticed this problem after examining why my notebook sometimes stubbornly refuses to go to sleep when the lid is closed. Running 7 64 bit ult.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:50 PM

In my case, the text is:

Same here. I don't know if it's related but I noticed this problem after examining why my notebook sometimes stubbornly refuses to go to sleep when the lid is closed. Running 7 64 bit ult.
    Exact same errors but this fixed it for me (
    There probably more to it and this may be just a workaround but its working since--no errors )

2 Then  Did the folowing

(from cmd ) 
    • ipconfig  /all   -- return (save results for next time---its microsoft)
    • ipconfig /Flushdns   --return
    • ipconfig /release /all  --return 
    • quit
    Make sure DCHP is enabled (well I had to), then you will have to reboot
    --on restart, it re-registered with dns 

Ive had no errors since thankfully. Im not very techy so hope the above makes sense. hopefully it might help somewhat.

Below is what I think happened in my case

(Ive a small home network with 5 networked devices) Windows 7pro  32bit

ID 2 pcs mapped manually(This must be treated like a private network automatically?Somehow the subnet was set (automatically) to 255.255.255.255-- which is wrong but Ive no idea how it happened )
    Although both devices were OK and I had net access all the time (homegroup), the system was also trying to allocate 2 extra addresses to the SAME 2 mapped pcs (which are been recognised as 2 seperate devices on a private network--- and cant be registered with dns,) so basically my system was retrying over and over--giving the errors above.

I dont know why this started in the last few days. and Theres prob a far better resolution but Ive been OK since

Finally
    To call Microsoft support 'complete shite' is an insult to shite. Its beyond shite

It DOES MATTER when we're all wasting time here looking for help & my time and bandwidth are limited---I doubt Im the only one
    • Edited by eire_mac Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:22 AM clarity
    • Proposed as answer by FriendlyDutch Friday, February 22, 2013 12:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:17 AM
  • NB an example of Microsoft support at work.

Due to errors above, event logs were sent ( from w.m.console) and an .etl file sent back by microsoft but Windows didnt recognise its own file extension (ETL (Microsoft Event Trace Log File)) so I was linked here:

This page will help you find software needed to open your fileFile Type: ThermaDataT Logger FileFile Extension: .etl Description: ThermaDataT Logger File

• <cite style="color: #568e1a; font-style: normal; word-wrap: break-word; ">shell.windows.com/​fileassoc/0409/xml/redir.asp?​EXT=etl</cite>

and from here,  (the only link available) a Microsoft support site sent me here :

http://thermometer.co.uk/   thermometers!!!!

• Edited by eire_mac Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:08 AM does it matter
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:05 AM
  • My problem is displayed a bit different: here is one examle below,  about 20 of them in approximately 5 to 10  sec. at every boot.

Error    19/02/2010 8:50:35 AM    Kernel-EventTracing    ID 2    Session   
    Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

I do not see in my event viewer window any mention of this been related to homegroup like your description.   I may not be looking in the right place or we may not talk about the same thing, but it seems very similar.

Thanks to you and your detail description I was able to relate my problem to a change I did a few days ago, about the time I start receiving the above error message.  The change that I did was to leave the homegroup (in the : change homegroup settings windows)
    They say the homegroup only work with other win7 system on the network and since I do not have another win7  to share media and file on the local network I figured I did not need it.  Well that is when approximately that I started receiving these errors messages.  As a trial solution, I re-enable the homegroup and rebooted the system, the error message did not reappear so far, I keep my finger crossed.

Leaving the homegroup did not stop me from sharing file through a regular workgroup on my local network,  I am still confuse as to why they have to introduce this homegroup at all. 

Best of luck

• Proposed as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:25 AM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:31 AM
  • It is malware that has infected your BIOS. That must have been an XP machine before you installed Win 7.

Watch searchprotocolhost.exe and searchfilter.exe

Also audiodg.exe is hijacked.

The same group that wrote Waledac.

I think that while the infection cannot be removed the malware on Win 7 cannot steal your info and passwords - just a gut feeling based on behavior of the malware

It keeps its data directly on the hard drive but out of the NTFS file system -

Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:52 PM
  • its not malware as my machine was a clean vista machine before it was win 7 lol.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 12:58 AM
  • Do you have a printer attached but not shared? Your network LAN is trying to find something. You may need a better print driver
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Hi,

I will vote helpful: in my case the message is on a HP DV5 with W7/64. Home network is through a router;  another laptop has attached a printer on USB (HP P1005). Error starts after i was installing the printer driver (from the printer's cd driver); probably the driver is not the best one or the new one. In the future i'll try to upgrade my printer's driver to see if the error stops. I have to mention that my HP is linked with the printer via BT?!?!?
    My error: Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035, looks close, but a little different
    Thx,
    Corlae
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Try Ticking off the TCP/IPV6 from Local Network Connection Propeties.
    • Proposed as answer by Eyal N Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:10 AM
  • eire_mac,

You are great! Thanks... Its working for me too, and now I have no errors Kernel-Event Tracing!

• Proposed as answer by 4runningwin Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Yes, I recently purchased new hp laptop w/windows 7, and encountered this very same error code--a strange phenomenon--after installing some new hardware had also played a DVD movie. I remember the Windows Live media asking me to give my location where I lived, and when I did it said that windows 7 could only make that change 5 times !!! or something stupid like that. A bit later...I had to pause the movie (made in Canada) after a phone call, shut down the computer and when I tried to get it back, it wouldn't let me log back on.  That's not the whole story...

I had decided to plug the USB cord for the digital camera into the computer before booting up--the one I had just installed earlier (this very morning). when it wouldn't show the fingerprint reader light or allow me to log in with administrator password, then I shut it down again unplugged the USB to camera and tried to bring it up again. It came up fine, but I found all these errors in my event log, only seconds apart.

Not sure what will happen next, or how to undo whatever it was I did wrong....

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:19 PM
  • eire_mac,

You are great! Thanks... Its working for me too, and now I have no errors Kernel-Event Tracing!

kenny
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:28 AM
  • eire_mac,

kenny

kenny
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:29 AM
  • Has anyone upgraded their defaults for page sizes and/or the defaults for realtime processes commited?
    sommoner
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:38 AM

In my case, the text is:

Exact same errors but this fixed it for me (
    There probably more to it and this may be just a workaround but its working since--no errors )
    2 Then  Did the folowing

(from cmd ) 
    • ipconfig  /all   -- return (save results for next time---its microsoft)
    • ipconfig /Flushdns   --return
    • ipconfig /release /all  --return 
    • quit
    Make sure DCHP is enabled (well I had to), then you will have to reboot
    --on restart, it re-registered with dns 

Ive had no errors since thankfully. Im not very techy so hope the above makes sense. hopefully it might help somewhat.
      Below is what I think happened in my case
    (Ive a small home network with 5 networked devices) Windows 7pro  32bit

ID 2 pcs mapped manually(This must be treated like a private network automatically?Somehow the subnet was set (automatically) to 255.255.255.255-- which is wrong but Ive no idea how it happened )
    Although both devices were OK and I had net access all the time (homegroup), the system was also trying to allocate 2 extra addresses to the SAME 2 mapped pcs (which are been recognised as 2 seperate devices on a private network--- and cant be registered with dns,) so basically my system was retrying over and over--giving the errors above.
    I dont know why this started in the last few days. and Theres prob a far better resolution but Ive been OK since
    Finally
    To call Microsoft support 'complete shite' is an insult to shite. Its beyond shite

It DOES MATTER when we're all wasting time here looking for help & my time and bandwidth are limited---I doubt Im the only one

Ok,. I am nots sure what your network config has to do with this error.  But, I'll bite. Microsoft in teh above link says to To resolve this problem, change the mask of the address pool to the subnet mask that the external network uses.

so how do u do that??

Saturday, May 14, 2011 7:54 PM
  • The answer of running the 64 bit sounds right to me since the problem of homegroup log failure error 3221225525 started for me after switching to 32 bit in order to run a newer version of flash player.
    not givin up
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Solution: Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center

Choose homegroup and sharing options

Leave the homegroup

Why? Resolve windows error

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:35 AM
  • I ran into trouble with this, and it was a Homegroup issue and here's what I think caused it. I created a Homegroup on my computer and my wife joined it on hers. Via Homegroup, her computer discovered my printer and installed the drivers. That was the plan, she wanted to print on my printer. So far so good. But at some point down the road I happened to find myself inside of Homegroup, and I saw a message about Homegroup finding a printer which I thought was a little strange. It asked me whether I wanted to install the printer and I said yes (I figured my wife had somehow uninstalled our shared printer on her computer or something). What actually happened was that Homegroup discovered an old printer driver on her computer from a printer she used to use a long time ago.

Long story short, if you use Homegroups to share a printer, the person who is physically connected to the printer likely doesn't want to install any printers found on Homegroup on their computer.

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:15 AM
  • In another forum 'richardvetman' has this solution. I haven't verified yet but this is what he said:

"Hi.

The circular kernel context logger takes frequent snapshots of the system into a 100MB RAM file (not on disk). It is needed.

To fix the "fail to start" error, find the following file in the %windir%\panther\ folder:

setup.etl

and rename it to

setup.old

It can stay in the \panther\ folder.

Reboot and all is done!

RichardVetMan"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2189-event-viewer-errors.html#post391234

• Proposed as answer by AxxellUK Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:05 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Hmm - I looked in %windir%\Panther but I did not find a "setup.etl" file there.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Hello..Do you know how to fix this??..
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Hello..Do you know how to fix this??..

Hello.

Sorry for my english, Im argentine. Im using W7 Home Premium 64 on my Dell XPS 17. I had the error "event 2" related to "Homegroup Log" during many weeks and definetivelly I could solve it allowing "Home Group" go through the firewall of Windows, because there was no rule that would allow it.
    An alternative to that manual solution, is use the Windows automatic tool to troubleshoot problems. Search "troubleshot problems with home group" and let Windows solve it. In that tool, deselect the chek box "solve the problems automatically" if you want to see exactly where is the problem.

At least to me, this solved the problem and now I have no more Event 2 error.

Greetings. 

• Proposed as answer by espimones Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by espimones Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:58 PM
    • Edited by espimones Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Marymmcc Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:36 AM
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:45 PM
  • I was playing my game and glanced over to my laptop and it had a blue screen all i saw was a stop error so I reboot, look in event viewer and it says 0 critical, and I have two errors. One was a Media Center Update that failed. Anyways long story short the update failed because it could not connect to the internet, shortly after I got the Kernel Event Tracing errors. I am wondering how these things coalesced into a Blue Screen. Im back fine now, and cant find any corrupt or missing files. DLLS seems to be fine. Drivers are fine no hardware issue in Device "Mangler"

Any comments would be appreciated

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:01 PM
  • One note (in reference to many of the comments)

IF you are seeing errors during start-up ... such as Kernel-EventTracing {whatever} and other errors.... it can sometimes have to do with the network configuration not having initialized before some requests are made requiring the network (or components) -

I see this often on Servers... and it is the same on WS OSs.... 

You can often delay the start-up of the offending item, but beware you MAY delay start something that yet another service etc. requires -  causing the error to cascade to that service

Now - to be VERY specific - if the error continues after a reasonable time (which depends on hardware, number of services and other start-up items) - then this is NOT the problem.

To be safe.... see if the errors reoccur 10 minutes after start-up. If they don't, then it likely IS a dependency and as someone else mentioned (too lazy to review - sorry), the system will have likely tried again with success - Of course looking through your services to make sure all automatic ones have started is a good idea (some automatics are ON DEMAND only... but if you try and start them they will stop with a note indicating that likelihood)

Some manual services are started automatically by other system requests.... (e.g. uPnP device host) - but these will often differ with different configurations - i.e. NO definitive list I can give...

Of course this DOES NOT only relate to Network services, but it is where I see it the most.... most often when drivers haven't fully initialized and IP assigned - some NICs with advanced tools actually take a fair bit of time to start and assign an IP... even STATIC IPs don't get assigned right away - they are assigned in sequence - appropriately - as the various related items are started and configured...

The person that mentioned file type associations (lazy again - hehe - sorry 'person') is also correct for this and other errors. This can happen for a bunch of reasons... The most frequent I have seen is allowing installers to change default associations of ANY type - a poorly written installer can corrupt(minor in this case) the registry causing many associations to get zero'd out. The better installers (e.g. Installshield) don't have issues, but sometimes custom written routines - even those by major vendors - can cause issues. As such I NEVER let any application installer change ANY default associations - it is SO simple to do it manually anyway. (well - I DO trust MS installers and apps that use installshield or the old WISE....)

Well - 'twas quite a long ramble....I'll stop now...

Cheers

ssampson

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Tried most of the previous suggestions in this thread to no avail - this one worked! Thanks RichardVetMan and duffmancraap.

I was getting the "Circular Kernel Context Logger"  version of the error.

BTW, this problem occurred on a Dell Cad Workstation running WIN7 Pro x64 in a domain environment.

• Edited by AxxellUK Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:06 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:04 PM