none
Windows 7 Install Hangs at "Starting Windows" Screen

Question

• Having problems installing Windows 7 Home Premium from DVD on a newly built computer. When I run the Windows 7 Home Premium disc I get past "windows is loading files..." and then freeze on "starting windows" just after I see 4 little colored balls in the center of the screen.

Here's what I've got:

Monitor: Samsung T260HD 25.5in Rose/Black LCD w/ATSC

HDD: 2 x Seagate 1.5TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G

Memory: Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz (3x2)

DVD: LG 22X DVDRW SATA

Motherboard: ASUS P6TD Deluxe Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 MB

Power Supply: Corsair 950w 80 Plus Power Supply

GPU: 5850 is backordered, so am using an old Nvidia (6400 GT?) to attempt to install Windows

I've done lots of research and tried:

1. Using a PS2 keyboard/mouse
    2. Disabling USB in bios
    3. Disabling just about everything else in bios
    4. Tried w/ 2MB, 4MB and 6MB ram

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:37 AM

Answers

• Well, it turns out the problem was my Corsair 950TX PSU.  Someone on the Tom's Hardware forums tipped me off as he/she had the same mobo and PSU and ran into the same Win7 install problem.  So strange because I was able to boot to bios, Corsair makes good PSUs and 950 watts is way more than I need right now!

Tried a different PSU and Windows 7 booted without a hitch.  I may be a glutton for punishment because I went with another Corsair PSU, the 1000HX, but it's working fine.  RMAing the 950TX.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions and a happy Thanksgiving!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:44 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to do an Upgrade install, or a Clean install?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Clean install.  Brand new home built computer.  Brand new HDDs.

I tried two new things since last night:

1. tried a newer GPU - Radeon 4850
    2. tried both DVI and VGA cables

Still hangs at exactly same spot "starting windows" screen.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Hi Stentorian,
    I have run a check on your motherboard:  http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=1H6537GW0fPVHNhO

Storage Controller
        Southbridge
        6 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports
        Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
        Marvell 88SE6111
        1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices
        1 xExternal SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)

The actual SATA controller on your motherboard
        Chipset Intel X58 / ICH10R
        Link:  http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020644.htm

Boot your Computer into BIOS.

Verify if there is a "SATA Controller Mode Option:".  If there is, then change it to "Compatibility".
    If you are not using the RAID functinality, then contact ASUS for the correct settings (Settings varies according to Hard-Drive use).  The "SATA Controller Mode Option:" may vary according to different manufacturers.  The above settings should work if "Compatibility" is an option to select.

Note:
    If the "SATA Controller Mode Option:" is set to "AHCI", then you will not be able to access the Hard Drive/DVD-Rom properly even if you boot from the Windows 7 DVD-rom.  Making the above changes should fix the current problem.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Hi shgtss,

I tried running in compatiblity mode, but it didn't work either.

I'm at a total loss.

Thanks for trying.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Thanks Stentorian.

-Try reinstall the OS (Load the new driver/Step-1 below).  Delete all partitions and perform a new install under "compaitibility" or using the initial BIOS settings.  Verify if the machine boots up OK.

1.  Try download the certified driver for your SATA from this link:  http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=1H6537GW0fPVHNhO (Load this driver during the Windows 7 Setup - Custom Setup).  If you received a message that Windows has a newer driver, then load the driver from ASUS anyway.

-I strongly suggest that you contact ASUS if you can't boot from the new install.  The link to the manual for your motherboard:  http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=1H6537GW0fPVHNhO (Settings for yoiur SATA:  3.3.5 Storage Configuration)

Thanks.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:49 AM
  • I don't even get to the option to select what type of setup I want to do or load drivers.  The systems freezes during install before I even get that far. 

Here's exactly what I'm doing:

1.  Everything possible is disabled in bios, USB, sound, etc. and unplugged from mobo.
    2.  Mouse/Keyboard connected through PS2 port.
    3.  Bios set to compatability mode as you suggested above (I've tried IDE, SATA, and AHCI with the same results).
    4.  Boot priority set to DVD first.
    5.  Windows 7 DVD loaded in the DVD drive.
    6.  Turn on computer.
    7.  Windows 7 DVD loads and immediately goes to the "windows is loading files..." screen with the grey progress bar on the bottom.
    8.  Progress bar fills 2x
    9.  "starting windows" screen loads, just as the four colored balls appear the system freezes.  No DVD or HDD activity.
    10.  Put head through wall  <--- repeat, repeat, repeat

I've tried this with every conceivable bios setting, 1 - 3 sticks of 2MB RAM, 2 x HDDs, 1 x HDD, DVI cable, VGA cable, you name it.

Will contact ASUS tomorrow, but this is not an unusual mobo / memory / HDD combo - I've seen lots of people listing similar setups.

Ugh.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:11 AM
  • -I have to agree with you.  The setup that you have should be fine.
    -Either there is something in BIOS that needs to be set correctly or bad hardware.
    -A similar setup works just fine; except that the motherboard is from "Supermicro" (Identical to yours).

Note:  Forget to mention with your above configuration:  PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz.  I think that is Over-Clocking.  You may need to access BIOS and set the correct option for your memory (Timing, Frequency, and etc) before you can use your machine.

Keep us informed.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Hi Stentorian,

It seems that you have not ever tried installing other systems like Windows XP and etc on your new built computer. It is difficult for us to determine if the computer actually works.

In addition, since the installation process has not even passed first stage to copy the installation files to the memory. The issue is likely to be caused by incompatible hardware such as the incompatible motherboarad, RAM and etc. Therefore, it is strongly recommended contacting with the hardware manufacture or the retailer to help you check the issue cause you may spend too much time on testing the issue by yourself.

Or you can also try installing Windows 7 on one hard drive and plug in one memory card (2MB, 4MB and 6MB respectively) to check if it works.

NOTE: During the installation, please unplug all the unnecessary hardware devices to avoid any conflicts.

Judy :)
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Well, it turns out the problem was my Corsair 950TX PSU.  Someone on the Tom's Hardware forums tipped me off as he/she had the same mobo and PSU and ran into the same Win7 install problem.  So strange because I was able to boot to bios, Corsair makes good PSUs and 950 watts is way more than I need right now!

Tried a different PSU and Windows 7 booted without a hitch.  I may be a glutton for punishment because I went with another Corsair PSU, the 1000HX, but it's working fine.  RMAing the 950TX.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions and a happy Thanksgiving!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Thanks ya'll for the posts on this thread.  I just ran into the same / similar issue during OS Setup, with Win 7 hanging for a good chunk of time (15-20m) between operations.  I had to remove my Firewire card, unplug a bunch of my USB devices, and try again.  I think the PSU in my system may not have enough power to sustain everything during OS install, thus the freezing.

After going to a "bare-bones" level I was able to install with ease.

Good luck to everyone with thier installs / boot issues.  Looks lke it's time for me to get a new PSU. :/  Hopefully Santa is reading this thread too.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays everyone.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:51 AM
  • The actual SATA controller on your motherboard
        Chipset Intel X58 / ICH10R
        Link:  http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020644.htm

Boot your Computer into BIOS.

Verify if there is a "SATA Controller Mode Option:".  If there is, then change it to "Compatibility".

Well, I was having a similar problem - first time boot up with the Windows 7 DVD, and once I got past "windows is loading files", the sytem hung on the "Starting Windows" screen (did not get to the 4 colored balls).  Note the hardware has been running XP MCE 2005, not upgrading that OS, fresh install on a new SATA drive.

Anyway, I was unable to find the SATA "compatibility" setting in my bios (Mobo: Asus M4A785TD-M EVO).   However, this clues me in that someone (shgtss) thinks the problem is with SATA (or maybe the external SATA BluRay/DVD drive connected via USB).

I solved the immediate problem of not being able to install Windows 7 by switching the Win7 disc to an IDE DVD drive connected via USB.  Windows is now installing and appears to be cruising along.  Time will tell if I have a problem with getting the DVD/BluRay later, but at least I am installing Win7 now.

Slight problem getting it to boot to the new hard disk after the files are copied (instead of the DVD), but should get past that.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 6:43 PM
  • I just wanted to add my own experience to this..

It kept freezing on the “starting windows” screen for me as well.. just before you get the first window for the install..

I couldn’t figure out this one until I decided to unplug one of my two usb hubs.. one of which was plugged into a dedicated pciex1 card.. apparently this was causing the freeze.

But there was more...

So I thought all was good, but it then kept freezing on the “Completing installation” line of the setup.. I finally narrowed this down to the actual pciex1 usb expansion card itself.

Monday, December 13, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

You are required to make use of all the possible solutions to solve the issue of system hangs experienced in your system during installation of Windows 7.

The users should scan their system using effective virus scanned which would easily identify the presence of virus and its infections in your system.

You may also use effective antivirus software to remove as well as to block the entry of virus.

In case of insufficient memory, you can enhance your system’s memory by increasing the system memory.

You can make more space in the available system memory by deleting all unwanted and unused files, folders and software found in the system.

Get more information to fix windows 7 hangs during installation :

http://supportformicrosoft.iyogi.com/windows-7/windows-7-hangs-on-install.html

Hope this information helps you.

• Proposed as answer by Pierrot USA Sunday, November 04, 2012 5:36 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:23 AM
  • In my case disabling the LAN from the BIOS solved the problem. After that I was able to access the HDD for anything. I still don't get how that would prevent windows to load or install but it made it hang at the starting windows screen...
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Hi there, I just went to the same problem.

I was doing a clean install (no recovery partition just a brand new hard disk) of windows 7 starter on my

samsung NP-N150 netbook and it passed the after "loading files screen" but then freeze on "starting windows"

This is what worked

1)Configure the hard disk to compatible mode in BIOS and the MOST important

2)Pluggin the netbook to an electrical outlet. I think the battery alone is not enough power to install.

Note : I tried the compatibility hard disk mode in bios alone and it did not work. When I connect the laptop power supply it worked like a charm.

What does a power supply has to do with the installation anyway?

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Hi, 
    had similar (even identical) problem on a brand new Asus F501 notebook (with no dvd drive) which came with Windows 8 installed in ahci & uefi mode.
    After creating a Usb Bootable Uefi Windows Installer had "starting windows" splash screen freeze.
    Either IDE or AHCI sata mode didn't help.
    I solved the issue by enabling in this (horrible) bios, the feature "enable csm" under boot.

Don't know if your motherboard has identical bios or this "magic" feature, hope my post helps.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:37 AM
  • Hey man !

i have the same exact problem,( first system hangs randomly, then it stops giving video out, i thought the problem was with my video card but after some attempts in BIOS like defaults setup and it became alive again... Phew! , but unfortunately the hanging problem was still there. ughhh.. so i thought may be this is the problem in windows so i reinstalled win7 after formatting C drive. it took me 5-6 attempts to reinstall windows as system got hanged during installation itself. but finally i made it. windows is installed but system still gets hanged)

while searching for the solution for the problem i got this thread.. so my question to you is this how to proceed now ? how did you know your PSU was faulty ?

system config:

PSU:corsair GS 600

CPU:i52500K, ASUS p8Z68-V mobo,GFX card zotac 560, 8 Gb RAM, 1TB HDD seagate.

Thanks in advance

• Proposed as answer by HemantKV Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by HemantKV Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:55 AM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 5:48 AM
  • ok after so many hours looking for the problem, decided to dissemble all components and clean them properly. after removing cooling fans from GFX card and processor reapplied thermal paste. after assembling and connecting them again it started like a charm. dont know how it happened and what was causing the problem at the first place.

probably some loose connection or dust might be affecting the system, that is all i can say.

suggest you all for this activity before jumping to any conclusion(like formatting my C drive .. damn it! ). hope it helps !

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:01 AM
  • I had the same problem and I googled the problem like crazy and I found a bunch of answers. Some suggested, changing the PSU, disabling things, removing components, disabling USB and so forth. I tried nearly everything. Eventually I found that I had to disable "Onboard LAN" in my bios. Now I don't have onboard LAN. But that's okay. At least I have a working computer. If I try enabling Onboard LAN after the installation completed, it still freezes.

Anyway, here's some info on my setup:
    asrock G31M-S mobo
    intel e5200
    2x2 gb ram
    1 gb hard drive
    installation freezes at disk.sys at loading.

Sunday, August 04, 2013 4:59 AM
  • Well, It took me 2 days, but I managed to install it on my Dell Inspiron 15 7537 i7-4500U 16gb ram, 1TB, 1080 p touch. I tried all BIOS tricks, enabling/disabling - no use, I replaced my HD with 200 GB Intel SSD and it worked, than I cloned it to original one I had. Didn't install drivers yet but Windows boots fine now.

Hope it helps for someone.

• Proposed as answer by FRIENDD Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:05 AM
    Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:03 AM