none
XP will not load properly after SP3 Install

Question

• I loaded SP3 on my HP Pavallion model number a1129n and I cannot get the system to start normally.  I can only get it to run in safe mode.  Please help... 

Thanks!  John

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:53 PM

All replies

• I have the very same problem, my P.C won't start up after installation either. I've had to restore my computer to an earlier time. Please Help,

Martin

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:00 PM
  •  Coolbird wrote:
    I loaded SP3 on my HP Pavallion model number a1129n and I cannot get the system to start normally.  I can only get it to run in safe mode.

You have an AMD processor on a PC pre-loaded by HP with a faulty configuration of XP.  Please boot into Safe Mode and follow the instructions in Workaround Method 1 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:10 AM
  •  Irishrego wrote:

I have the very same problem, my P.C won't start up after installation either. I've had to restore my computer to an earlier time.

You have not provided enough information to help you.  You say the PC won't start up, yet you also say you were able to restore it to an earlier time - so you must have been able to start the PC in order to do that.  Please describe your problem in more detail (for example, exact texts of any error messages), and provide the brand and model number of PC.

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:13 AM
  • I have a user with a Dell D830 Latitude, intell chip. Loaded xp sp3 last night. machine will not boot this morning. He cannot get to safe mode or last good configuration. Ends up with blue screen of death. I'm getting the error codes from him. He has no system restore disk. Is there a way to to the sp3 uninstall without being able to load windows?

Friday, September 19, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Error message is

AN ATTEMPT WAS MADE TO EXCUTE NON-EXECUTABLE MEMORY

*** STOP: 0x000000FC (0xBA5038E8, 0x0AA60963, 0xBA503848, 0x00000001)

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:04 PM
  •  nhutchinson wrote:
    AN ATTEMPT WAS MADE TO EXCUTE NON-EXECUTABLE MEMORY

*** STOP: 0x000000FC

The most likely source of such a stop is a buggy third-party device-driver.  Just in case it is USB-related, ask the user to do the following one by one until it doesn't crash:

- plug in a USB memory stick before powering up;

- if using USB mouse or keyboard, replace them with PS2 mouse/keyboard;

- unplug any FireWire device.

If none of the above works, then boot the PC from an XP installation CD, and go into the Recovery Console.  Remove SP3 using Method 4 of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

When back in SP2, update all installable device drivers for this model from Dell Support, and try again with SP3.

There is just a faint chance that the user might be able to work around the 0xFC stop by disabling hardware support for NX/DEP in BIOS settings, if such a BIOS setting exists in this model.  This disablement is not something that should be retained in the long term, as it is an important part of the protection that DEP can offfer.

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Thanks!  This post saved me from a ton of work!!  It fixed the problem and was extremely easy to do.

Friday, October 03, 2008 11:50 AM
  • Hi, I hope I'm posting this message in the right place. I've also had serious problems installing XP service pack 3 on an otherwise problem free computer. In common with other users, my computer won't start normally and will only run in safe mode. I've removed and re-installed the service pack twice, with the same result each time. All previous microsoft updates have installed without problem.   The only error message I'm getting appears just at the end of shutdown - before the reboot, when a box appears briefly saying C++ runtime error.

I'm running XP Home Edition V5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254 : service pack 2

The computer is an HP Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ with 1.00GB of Ram

There's 143Gb of memory free on Drive C, 149GB on D and 5.98GB on E (all without S pack 3 installed)

I'd be grateful for some help overcoming this. Regards, Siobhan Duff.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 11:03 AM