none
Error code 80246001 in Windows Update

Question

• Hi,

I have Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit). When I tried recently to install SP1 using Windows update, it got a little way through the download then dropped out. I was allowed to try again a few times, but it didn't work. Now Update tells me that Windows is up to date and SP1 doesn't appear as an available update. When I look at the update history it shows the SP1 update as having failed. If I view details the error code is 80246001. There appears to be virtually no information on this error on the web or on Microsoft support.

I am also trying to install an updated driver to my NVidia GeForce 8800GTX card, but when I do I get the message "Setup detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista [32-bit]". From some info on the web I think this problem may be related to not having SP1 in place.

I thought I could just manually download SP1 (KB936330) from the Microsoft download centre and install it, but there is a warning there that strongly recommends only installing SP1 through Windows update as there may be some driver incompatibility issues that update knows about and is therefore not installing SP1.

What should I do?

Thanks

Rohan

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:32 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Service Packs/Windows Server 2008 Service Packs)
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:58 PM

Answers

• Rohan

The internal description of that error code is:

0x80246001 - SUS_E_DM_URLNOTAVAILABLE (The requested file does not have an URL).

In your case, I would suspect that there are more updates that need to be installed, prior to installing SP 1. The official date for SP 1 to be 'pushed' from Windows Update is April 18, 2008.

I would wait and keep checking Windows Update, often, for any more updates that may be required prior to installing SP 1. 

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:50 PM

All replies

• Rohan

The internal description of that error code is:

0x80246001 - SUS_E_DM_URLNOTAVAILABLE (The requested file does not have an URL).

In your case, I would suspect that there are more updates that need to be installed, prior to installing SP 1. The official date for SP 1 to be 'pushed' from Windows Update is April 18, 2008.

I would wait and keep checking Windows Update, often, for any more updates that may be required prior to installing SP 1. 

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Thanks.

It turns out that Windows Update offered me SP1 again today. So downloaded & installed it no problem. It hasn't fixed the issue of not being able to install the NVidia driver, but that's another story!

Cheers

Rohan

• Proposed as answer by MissAngieTexas Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MissAngieTexas Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:21 AM
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:20 PM
  • Rohan

Glad you got it installed. Enjoy.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:26 PM
  • I'm not sure if you ever figured this out, but I've been struggling with it for a while and finally came up with the answer!

I have a Dell laptop with a nvidia GEForce 8400 M GS.

The microsoft update is for an GEForce 8400 GS (not for the notebook graphics card).

You can go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

MAKE SURE THE PRODUCT SERIES IS "M" or notebook

And download the

Verde 280.26 Driver

Version:

280.26 <sup>WHQL</sup>

Release Date:

Operating System:

Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit

Language:

English (U.S.)

File Size: