none
Configuring Windows 7 IEEE-1284 Controller Driver for USB to Parallel Port Adaptor Cable

Question

• Hello, I am trying to get my Texas Instruments DSK6711 DSP board communicating with my Windows 7 64-bit DELL Inspiron 15R laptop. The DSP board has a DB25 IEEE-1284 compliant parallel port ad my laptop has a USB port. I bought a USB to DB25 Parallel Port Adaptor cable to connect the DSP board to my laptop. Windows installs the USB Printer Support driver automatically but the DSP utility fails when invoked to check the connectivity. The DSP board documentation suggests I change the parallel port mode to ECP or EPP but I have no idea how to do that. I am also using Code Composer Studio V2.1 to send exedcutable code to the DSP board which is expecting an LPT printer port to be available but there is only a USB port with the adaptor cable plugged in. Can anyone suggest what I can do to get this cable working with my laptop and DSP board?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:15 AM

Answers

• I can only suggest visiting the manufacturer's support for the adapter for details on configuring the port. Most of the usb to parallel adapters I have looked at were designed for printers and thus lack any ability for port management.

A more direct adapter that may create a managable port would a PCMCIA or Express port card bus adapter card.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:11 PM

All replies

• Connect all of your cables and devices.

Click Start=>type devmgmt.msc in the search box and select devmgmt (device manager) from the results.

Click on the Ports category to expand it.

What do you see?

This is where you find and configure the port. Right-click on a port and select properties.

For example, a parallel port has an option for Legacy plug and play which would need to be checked.

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Friday, August 12, 2011 8:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hi there, thanks for the reply to my problem posting. I have tried what you have suggested but there is no Ports category in the Device Manager list of devices. Under Uinversal Serial Bus controllers there is an entry "USB Printer Support" which is the standard driver installed by Windows 7 when an IEEE-1284 compliant adaptor of this kind is plugged into the USB port. Right-clicking on this driver and selecting Properties does not help either as there is no way to configure the adaptor.
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

“The DSP board documentation suggests I change the parallel port mode to ECP or EPP but I have no idea how to do that.”

I suggest that you may contact the adapter's manufacturer to check this issue.

“I am also using Code Composer Studio V2.1 to send exedcutable code to the DSP board which is expecting an LPT printer port to be available but there is only a USB port with the adaptor cable plugged in.”

Please contact the hardware provide, since Microsoft Corporation hasn’t much information about this hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:05 PM
  • I can only suggest visiting the manufacturer's support for the adapter for details on configuring the port. Most of the usb to parallel adapters I have looked at were designed for printers and thus lack any ability for port management.

A more direct adapter that may create a managable port would a PCMCIA or Express port card bus adapter card.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:11 PM
  • I run into this most times using a usb to LP Printer port for old printers with no firewire port.

You will see the IEEE 1284 Controller in your devices like in your Device and Printers under start menu.

I just add the printer, choose the USB virtual which was created by the IEEE 1284 than select divers. Might be able to do the same with add device what you are working on.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Hello Dear Friend

Could you help me please? I have the same problem at this moment with a DSK671 DSP BOARD from TI.

I haven't any parallel port on my laptop, only USB and posibly the same parallel to USB cable. An USB Prinet Driver has been automatically instaled.

Thank you in advance.

Pdt. Sorry for my write, english isn't my first language.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:18 PM