none
BELKIN (F5D8001-V1xxx) N1 Wireless Desktop PCI Card

Question

• All I have had is problems after getting my new desktop with Windows 7 64BIT on it. I got a Sabrent N+ wireless PCI card that would get installed and work for maybe 1 hour and then stop working for the next 24-48 hours. I just didn't know what the issue was. I got the latest drivers for the card from RALINK's website that was win 7 compatible too...NO LUCK. COnnection seems OK in the system tray, but browsing is dead. When you run diagonitcis, it would say DNS server is not responding...and the DNS server is just fine because all other PCs on the network are working on vista like a charm.

So I decide to buy a BELKIN card (without any research!!) since the belkin router was pretty good to deal with. To my horror it had a Win XP CD...And the drivers weren't recognized when i point to the driver folder on the CD. even the executable on the CD did not get installed.

So I find this vista 32/64 bit executable on belkin's site and tried installing it (tried all compatibility options XP , XP SP1, SP2, SP3, Vista, Vista SP1, SP2, windows 2000, etc)...all I get is the same error message every time - THE VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE COULD NOT BE DETERMINED....

Please do share yoru thoughts on what else I could do in this case. Belkin's tech support have no clue on then the right drivers for windows 7 would be available and Sabrent never called em back despite several voicemails and messages left at their reception in their CA office.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

DP
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that both of your Wireless PCI cards have the problem with working on Windows 7. In order to avoid confusion and keep track of the troubleshooting steps, we usually troubleshoot one issue per thread. This is to ensure we find a resolution as soon as possible.

For the Belkin’s (F5D8001-V1xxx) N1 Wireless Desktop PCI Card you just purchased, from the System Requirements mentioned in the PDF, it is just not compatible with Windows 7. In addition, since you have tried installing its driver in different compatibility mode (XP , XP SP1, SP2, SP3, Vista, Vista SP1, SP2, windows 2000, etc) but without success, please contact the retailer to make a refund and purchase a new Belkin’s Wireless Desktop PCI Card that is compatible with Windows 7 to resolve the issue. I believe it is the most efficient way to resolve the issue in a timely manner. 

Otherwise, let’s focus on troubleshooting Sabrent N+ wireless PCI card issue. Since the connection is normal and you have already installed its Windows 7 compatible driver, please try the following steps and collect the information as requested below.

1. Click the Start button, then in the "Start Search" box, type CMD but DO NOT press Enter yet.

2. In the list above, under "Programs" right-click on CMD that appears above and choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Continue".

3. In the open window, type the following command and press Enter:

IPCONFIG/ALL

Please capture the screenshots with the output and your network card settings and then upload the screenshots to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

Then, please try to log on Safe Mode with networking to check if you can browse Internet with the Sabrent N+ wireless PCI card used.

===========================

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode with networking, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto the default administrator account or any user account with the administrator privileges.

Note 1: In Safe Mode with networking, your system display and desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To go back to Normal Mode, we just need to restart the computer.

Note 2: If after keeping pressing F8, nothing happens. It is because the settings have been changed by the computer manufacturer. Please refer to the user manual or contact the computer manufacturer for the information how to enter Safe Mode with networking.

Please let me know the result.

If the issue persists, please try the following steps to clear the hosts file and the Domain Name Resolution (DNS) cache.

Step 1: Clear the Hosts file

--------------------------------------

1. Click the Start Button, type "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click on the file "Hosts" (without quotations) and choose Delete.

3. Click Continue to confirm the deletion and verify the administrator permission.

Step 2: Clean up the Domain Name Resolution (DNS) cache

1. Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks), in the search result list, right click on Cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.

2. Click Continue button to verify the administrator permission.

3. In the popup window, type: "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

After that, if the issue persists, you could change to different DNS servers and see if that helps the situation.

Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Right click --> Properties --> IP V4 --> Click properties Then select use the following DNS Server addresses and enter new DNS servers such as OpenDNS

Judy :)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that both of your Wireless PCI cards have the problem with working on Windows 7. In order to avoid confusion and keep track of the troubleshooting steps, we usually troubleshoot one issue per thread. This is to ensure we find a resolution as soon as possible.

For the Belkin’s (F5D8001-V1xxx) N1 Wireless Desktop PCI Card you just purchased, from the System Requirements mentioned in the PDF, it is just not compatible with Windows 7. In addition, since you have tried installing its driver in different compatibility mode (XP , XP SP1, SP2, SP3, Vista, Vista SP1, SP2, windows 2000, etc) but without success, please contact the retailer to make a refund and purchase a new Belkin’s Wireless Desktop PCI Card that is compatible with Windows 7 to resolve the issue. I believe it is the most efficient way to resolve the issue in a timely manner. 

Otherwise, let’s focus on troubleshooting Sabrent N+ wireless PCI card issue. Since the connection is normal and you have already installed its Windows 7 compatible driver, please try the following steps and collect the information as requested below.

1. Click the Start button, then in the "Start Search" box, type CMD but DO NOT press Enter yet.

2. In the list above, under "Programs" right-click on CMD that appears above and choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Continue".

3. In the open window, type the following command and press Enter:

IPCONFIG/ALL

Please capture the screenshots with the output and your network card settings and then upload the screenshots to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

Then, please try to log on Safe Mode with networking to check if you can browse Internet with the Sabrent N+ wireless PCI card used.

===========================

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode with networking, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto the default administrator account or any user account with the administrator privileges.

Note 1: In Safe Mode with networking, your system display and desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To go back to Normal Mode, we just need to restart the computer.

Note 2: If after keeping pressing F8, nothing happens. It is because the settings have been changed by the computer manufacturer. Please refer to the user manual or contact the computer manufacturer for the information how to enter Safe Mode with networking.

Please let me know the result.

If the issue persists, please try the following steps to clear the hosts file and the Domain Name Resolution (DNS) cache.

Step 1: Clear the Hosts file

1. Click the Start Button, type "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click on the file "Hosts" (without quotations) and choose Delete.

3. Click Continue to confirm the deletion and verify the administrator permission.

Step 2: Clean up the Domain Name Resolution (DNS) cache

1. Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks), in the search result list, right click on Cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.

2. Click Continue button to verify the administrator permission.

3. In the popup window, type: "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

After that, if the issue persists, you could change to different DNS servers and see if that helps the situation.

Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Right click --> Properties --> IP V4 --> Click properties Then select use the following DNS Server addresses and enter new DNS servers such as OpenDNS

Judy :)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Hi Judy

took me a while to reply. I put back the sabrent card and ran into the issue in about 10 mins after it was working fine. Tried all options, inclusing safemode same issue.

I alreday had the DNS pointing to opendns. Delete the hosts file as well.

My IP log is here - http://cid-a707e97c40692f24.skydrive.live.com/embedicon.aspx/.Public

Let me know if there's anything else I could do with this computer.

thanks much,

DP
    Friday, December 04, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Seems like a bigger issue.

Spent another $90 on a Linksys WMP600N fully comnpatible card....

Drivers installed perfect from the internet, vrified.

Guess what systray icon says "not connected - no connections available"

Can't believe this!
    Friday, December 04, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Fund the culprint! The kaspersky NDIS Filter on the adapter!

For others who have this problem, before you give up, uninstall your Antivirus/Internet security software and see how it goes.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 5:17 AM