none
Cannot Boot from Drive with Windows 7 install, previously ran Vista on other Hard Drive

Question

• I recently bought a new hard drive to install windows 7 (C:), I previously had Vista64 installed on another hard drive (D:).

Currently when I start up with the D: it will bring me to a boot screen with a choice of OS to use.

I had installed windows 7 on the drive with the intention of formatting the Vista64 drive to use it as a storage drive.

It was recently brought to my attention that windows 7 installs the boot file on the first hard drive listed in the bios, in my case the D:

I tried booting from the C: with the windows 7 install, and it does not boot.

I have tried booting the windows 7 disc and running the system tools, using the cmd prompt to run:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

The first command works, but the second and third commands give me a message of "element not found" when I hit enter.

I also tried running the auto boot fix from the system tools, everything I have tried still doesn't allow me to boot from my C:

I was hoping someone could help me solve this problem.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:59 AM

Answers

• I finally fixed the problem, I used the administrative tools to make the Windows 7 Drive "active". Before it was set as the boot disk, but I noticed it was not "active" in these windows settings when adding another hard drive.

After changing this setting I booted the windows 7 disc and after running the the repair a couple times everything was fixed.

I did run into the activation problem described by another member on this board, after changing the boot settings windows told me it was no longer activated. This took a bit to fix but all has worked out in the end.
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 3:37 AM

All replies

• Hi, can you try this disconnect the power cable and ( sata or ide ) cable on the harddisk. Where you have vista installed, then power up with Win 7 install disk and use the repair install.  Next time for anyone who read this always disconnect other drives, if you don't want to have the same thing happening. When the install is finished then re connect other hard disks. Slan go foill, Paul  
    • Edited by artiste1 Friday, September 11, 2009 8:44 PM correction
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:46 PM
  • I tried disconnecting the power cable to the other harddisk, but I ended up with the same result as setting the other hard disk as the boot drive.

I ran both the bootrec commands and the auto repair, the bootrec commands had the same "element not found" and after the auto repair it would not boot into windows.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 5:15 PM
  • > I tried booting from the C: with the windows 7 install, and it does not boot.

Of course! You have installed Win7 in dual boot with Vista, so the system disk
    is that with Vista. It is just this disk that contains all boot info, whereas there is
    no such info on Win7 disk.

To make Win7 disk the system disk and to store the boot info on it:
    1) Set in BIOS boot priority as follows: DVD first, then Win7 disk, then Vista disk;
    2) Boot Win7 DVD and press Shift+F10 to start the command prompt;
    3) run the command:
    "bcdboot.exe C:\Windows"
    (supposing that disk C: is the disk with Win7);
    4) I am not sure, whether the previous command modifies the
    boot sector of Win7 disk as well to make it bootable.
    So make it bootable explicitly (just for the case) riunning the command:
    "bootsect /nt60 C:".
    5) Now restart into hdd and see what happens. If everything is OK,
    then You will have a single boot to Win7 and will be able to reformat the Vista disk.

Friday, September 11, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I tried running the bcdboot.exe command but that would not execute properly.

Running the bootsect /nt60 command worked, but after rebooting it still won't boot from the win7 drive if I make it the primary disk.

I tried running the auto repair again after doing this and it didn't work either.

I'm hoping someone out there has a solution otherwise I'm gonna have to find a hard drive to backup stuff and reinstall windows 7...I wish I had known that windows 7 installs the boot files to the hard drive listed as the primary in BIOS before I installed it...
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:23 PM
  • > I tried running the bcdboot.exe command but that would not execute properly.

What do You mean by "would not execute properly"? Can You display the
    error message of bcdboot here? This cold help to diagnose the reasons
    of failure. Are You sure, by the way, that during the boot from DVD Your
    disk with Win7 installation is labelled C: yet?

In any case, You can try as well to copy manually the Win7 boot manager
    (the file D:\bootmgr on the Vista drive) as well as the boot database
    (the folder D:\boot together with all its content) to the Vista drive and to see, whether
    this will help. To see/copy these files You are to make first all hidden and system files
    visible inside the Windows explorer, checking the corresponding View options.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:43 PM
  • I finally fixed the problem, I used the administrative tools to make the Windows 7 Drive "active". Before it was set as the boot disk, but I noticed it was not "active" in these windows settings when adding another hard drive.

After changing this setting I booted the windows 7 disc and after running the the repair a couple times everything was fixed.

I did run into the activation problem described by another member on this board, after changing the boot settings windows told me it was no longer activated. This took a bit to fix but all has worked out in the end.
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 3:37 AM
  • > I used the administrative tools to make the Windows 7 Drive "active"

Would You please describe exactly how You did this?
    I failed to find in Administrative tools-->Disk management menus
    something permitting to do this operation :(
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Sure, I went to:

Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management > Right Click the disk > Mark Partition as Active

If your drive is already active, it will say so in the description and the option will not be available.

My Vista Drive was already active, for some reason the windows 7 drive was not after installing windows.

After I booted into the windows 7 disk and the repair, it automatically detected a problem with the boot files on that drive and offered to repair them and restart. I did this and it did not work. I ran the windows 7 disk and repair again, it did not automatically detect anything but I ran the automatic boot fix and afterwards everything worked like it was supposed to (save the activation problem).
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:14 PM