none
Laptop says "Charging" but dies when I take out the ac adapter

Question

• I have an HP Pavilion dv5 I purchased a year and a half ago.  The original battery died on me, so I bought a new 12 cell for the increased battery life.  It was working fine, getting 3 - 5 hours of battery life depending on what I was doing.  Last week, I encountered the old "System Tool" virus that somehow wormed its way in.  Thanks to this board and a few others, I was able to rid myself of it.  However, since then, I have to keep laptop plugged in.  The icon says "Charging 60 %", but as soon as I unplug the AC, it just dies. 

I've tried going into the Device Manager and deleting the battery then "scan for new devices".  That didn't work.  I ran ubuntu off a disk to see if it was the virus still hanging around, but it did the exact same thing.  I've pulled out the battery with the AC plugged in and then put it back in (didn't work).  I've noticed a LOT of people encountering similar problems on this board and others with various devices.  Is this a driver issue, hardware or what?  Or does no one know?  This battery is barely a month old, and my computer recognizes it's there; it just won't run off the battery, nor charge it any higher than 60 percent, nor let me run off the thing.  I even tried unplugging it for a few days, just to see if the battery would die.  It didn't.  When I plugged it back in, it said it was still charged at 59%. 

If anyone knows anything, please help.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 4:37 AM

Answers

• Go to HP driver download portal, search for HP pavillion dv5 and download and install any battery drivers and(or) battery utilities that may be avaliable.should work, if its not the battery fault

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

First, please perform System Restore to get back to the state which the issue didn’t occur.

Troubleshoot power problems

You may also try to set your power plan to "High Performance" whether plugged in or not in Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Power Options.

Change, create, or delete a power plan (scheme)

If there is another power management software, please also disable it and have a check.

Please also check in Safe Mode and Clean Boot.

Reference:

Laptop computer is not charging battery.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:23 AM

All replies

• Go to HP driver download portal, search for HP pavillion dv5 and download and install any battery drivers and(or) battery utilities that may be avaliable.should work, if its not the battery fault

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

First, please perform System Restore to get back to the state which the issue didn’t occur.

Troubleshoot power problems

You may also try to set your power plan to "High Performance" whether plugged in or not in Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Power Options.

Change, create, or delete a power plan (scheme)

If there is another power management software, please also disable it and have a check.

Please also check in Safe Mode and Clean Boot.

Reference:

Laptop computer is not charging battery.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:23 AM