none
setup is preparing your computer for first use appears every time i boot

Question

• even though the message "setup is preparing your computer for first use" appears every time i boot, it works normally the way it should. but its an annoyance to see that message every time. Ive done every step as mentioned in the kb articles and also in this link

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/86bfe19d-bfd6-41d4-aac1-3a5d35051e5b

but still i am unable to get rid of this message.

ur quick consideration will be really appreciated
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Try to boot the computer to safe mode and see if the problem still happens:

1. Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured to boot multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.
    2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

If the computer stuck at certain file when booting to safe mode, the problem should be caused by this file. Boot the computer to windows recovery mode and rename this file by using Command Prompt:

rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\xxx.sys xxx.bak

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:27 AM

All replies

• by the way the above mentioned problem happens in my windows 7 home premium.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Hello,

Try to boot the computer to safe mode and see if the problem still happens:

1. Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured to boot multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.
    2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

If the computer stuck at certain file when booting to safe mode, the problem should be caused by this file. Boot the computer to windows recovery mode and rename this file by using Command Prompt:

rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\xxx.sys xxx.bak

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:27 AM
  • When using the P2P Adjust wizard to restore an image to different hardware, there's a possability that users could experience a re-occurring message at Windows startup that states “Setup is preparing your computer for first use”. The error occurs when a Windows installation was not completed correctly. The error will not have been displayed on the original computer, and is only visible after restoring an archive and performing a P2P adjustment. Steps to correcting this error: ****NOTE: It always recommended to perform a backup before editing the registry. 1. Within Windows, Click Start - Run, type 'regedit' and press Enter. 2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup 3. Within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup you will need to change the following values: **Here is an example of what the registry values could look like "SetupType"=dword:00000000 "SystemSetupInProgress"=dword:00000002 "SetupPhase"=dword:00000004 "CmdLine"="" (This field should be Blank ) "OOBEInProgress"=dword:00000001 ** This is what the values needed to be changed to: "SetupType"=dword:00000000 "SystemSetupInProgress"=dword:00000000 "SetupPhase"=dword:00000000 "CmdLine"="" (This field should be Blank ) "OOBEInProgress"=dword:00000000
    Monday, August 01, 2011 4:01 PM
  • VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
    VERY VERY VERY
    THANK YOU from DENZIG

VERY VERY VERY
     VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
    VERY VERY VERY
    THANK YOU from DENZIG

VERY VERY VERY
     VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
      VERY VERY VERY
    VERY VERY VERY
    THANK YOU from DENZIG

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Super helpfull. Windows kept bombing out during initial setup, after running the sysprep utility.  Resetting these reg entries fixed everything.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:18 PM
  • It happened to me when i was messing around with msoobe.exe and setup.exe :(

Usayd. Sea

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:05 AM