none
"WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" fails

Question

• HELP PLEASE

i was installing an update and it keeps saying "WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" and it fails everytime, how can i correct this problem?

please email me back
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, June 09, 2010 4:28 PM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Saturday, August 09, 2008 12:46 PM

All replies

•  

I have the same issue too. It happens when it is trying to install service pack 1
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Did you get any answer to your question?

Stefan

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:38 PM
  • no not yet

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:40 PM
  • hey i have thw same problem so if you figure it out i need some help with that

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:57 PM
  • I have a Customer's computer with MS Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and when trying to install SP1 For Vista x64 It Starts to install giving me the usual "Do you agree" page and I agree to all.

After clicking next I get the Windows update Screen showing that windows update is installing SP1 for vista x64.

The instalation bar Goes about 2/3rds of the way befor it instantly stops and Shows an Error:

"Code 8024200D"

Windows "Get help" link only gives this in a Troubleshooting window in its search bar:

"WindowsUpdate_8024200D WindowsUpdate_dt000"

There are no programs running at the time of attemted install. the computer is not being used while attempting to install also.

Any help or a link to the Working SP1 DVD ISO From Microsoft would be a Great help (Granted if that would help...), Cause I am working on a lot of Vista rigs now days.

Thanks Guys And I hope to see more technet Events in Spokane, WA

=Nexis=

Darknexis Inc

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Same problem. I've just purchased a new Pc and upgraded it to Ultimate allegedly with SP1, but I'm getting this message. This is my first post - do Microsoft monitor these issues and watch these sites, or are they just here to stop us complaining?

p

Saturday, August 30, 2008 1:56 AM
  • I've got the same problem.  Running Windows Vista 32-bit, trying to install Windows Service Pack 1 & keep getting error code 8024200D.  Looked at my installation history & it shows that KB936330 and KB947562 failed to install.  I have all my programs closed except the Windows Update, not working on anything, accepted license terms, deleted my temporary internet files, emptied my Recycle Bin, did not cancel the installation process or disconnect from the internet...no help.

A couple of weeks ago I installed an update and my internet slowed down to a crawl.  Tried to get help from my ISP, who of course said the problem was my computer, told me to run the disk that came with my computer, ended up re-booting or whatever...anyway it re-installed Vista, and now my Outlook personal folders are in a .pst file that I can't open or move to Outlook.

I guess you might say I'm just plain bummed

Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:39 AM
  •  

hjälp
    Monday, September 01, 2008 7:42 PM
  • I've been searching for a fix for this problem for ages...its seriously annoying and the only fix is reformatting obviously but other then that no one knows...seems that not even microsoft knows..utterly hopeless help and support. i tried numerous ways like the auto installer and standalone safemode etc etc..
    so much for a "reliable" updater....what a joke.

Sorry i cant give you a fix people...apart from re-installing vista.
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:30 PM
  •  

WindowsUpdate_8024200D yes I too am a victim of this wonderful error, I wish Microsoft would take some time out of their busy day and crunch this down its really annoying and hindering the overall performance of my personal computer, as well as the output of work im able to do in a day.
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 12:43 AM
  • if i happen to find a fix ill let you know. Iam running Vista Home Premium 32.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 1:13 AM
  • FYI:  Same problem here.  Everything works perfectly on this PC, but ******** if I'm going to get SP1 installed.  Sad

Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:08 PM
  •  CANADA1981@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

HELP PLEASE

i was installing an update and it keeps saying "WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" and it fails everytime, how can i correct this problem?

please email me back
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Hi we would all love to help....but the fact of the matter is we cant help ourselves as we cant locate what the problem is.
    Keep you posted
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 3:13 AM
  • Hello, all.  I was able to submit a support request to Microsoft & got in contact with a support professional there.  He helped me to finally get SP1 installed.  In addition to Vista SP1, I was unable to install update KB947562.  This is what he had me do:

1.  Download the System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) from the link below according to your System Type & save it to your desktop.

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 32-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 64-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en

2.  Double click on the dowloaded file to run the System Update Readiness Tool & restart your computer.

3.  Download update KB947562 from the website below & save it to your desktop.  (He recommended manually downloading the update KB947562 in Normal mode and installing it in Clean Boot mode.)

Update for Windows Vista (KB947562) 32-bit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49aa7826-8543-4f24-8f88-46e454df3063&DisplayLang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49aa7826-8543-4f24-8f88-46e454df3063&DisplayLang=en

4.  Disable all startup items & third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista updates:

1.Click on "Start", type MSCONFIG in the search box & press "Enter".

2.Click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

3.Click on "Services", check the "hide All Microsoft Services" box. If "Disable All" is NOT gray, click on it.  If it is gray, click on "Startup", click on "Disable All", click on "OK", and restart your computer.

5.  Double click the downloaded KB947562 standalone installer in your desktop and follow the instructions to install Vista updates.

6.  Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to your System Type and save it to your desktop.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 726.5MB)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/b/83b8c814-b000-44a4-b667-8c1f58727b8b/Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe

7.  Double click the downloaded Windows Vista SP1 standalone installer in your desktop and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

8.  To restore your computer to use a Normal Startup, click on "Start", type MSCONFIG in the search box & press "Enter".  Click on "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.  Click "Normal Startup" on the "General" tab, click "OK", then restart your computer.

Steps 2 & 7 take a little time so don't get discouraged.  I hope this works for everyone...I would tell you how I got to Microsoft to submit an incident report but that I don't remember.  I think I went to https://support.microsoft.com.  I did get a response within 24 hrs. - on the weekend yet - and like I said, I finally got SP1 installed. 

Monday, September 08, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Delete all extra languish in Vista(only English left), install SP1 without problem.

Monday, September 08, 2008 6:41 AM
  • I, too, am plagued by the 8024200D error code.  When I look at my machine's profile it says that SP1 is already installed, presumably as purchased (very new machine) as it does not appear on my update history. 

Would following Sharon M's advice for the KB947821 portions only be appropriate?

With thanks.

Monday, September 08, 2008 6:51 PM
  • The Windows Vista SP1 that I was having trouble installing had a KB # of 936330.  If you already have this installed on your computer, then the steps that I went through might not be what you need.  I'm not a technician, the info I provided came from a technician at Microsoft Support.  I suppose you could try it, if you feel comfortable doing so, but I don't know if that's a general solution to the 8024200D error code or not.

Monday, September 08, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Sharon M; thank you for your comments.  As I am not sufficiently knowlegeable to understand the consequences of following your instructions for installing KB947562 without SP1, I have decided not to go down that route.  I can find no way to relate the SP1 KB936330 to my factory insatalled Vista/SP1.  Your notes did prompt me to further investigations, and I came across a Microsoft Vista helpsite through which I posted an incident report on my specific difficulty.  I will post Microsft's responce here for you and others.

Thanks again for your help.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:52 PM
  • I re-installed Vista and I still get this error when trying to install service pack 1.  I think Vista needs some serious help!  It came with this computer or I would not have it running.  I am going to wait until someone comes up with a solution and see what happens.  Also if it ever installs, like it did for me with the first Vista version, be prepared for other problems that tech support cannot solve.  I wish they would fix all the bugs before putting the stuff out there for people to use.

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:13 AM
  • I am having the same problem and I have not been able to fix it. Can ayone help with this "WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" Error?

Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:36 AM
  • I tried this step by step and still cannot install SP1.  Like I said, I'm going to wait until they come out with a solution to this problem and the problems you have once you do get SP1 to install.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Hi, when i'm at step 5 where i shall run the update i downloaded.. It says "The update is not valid for your system".. What else can i do to download the SP1?

Saturday, December 06, 2008 9:46 PM
  •  I have the same issue too,but it happens when it is trying to install service pack 2!!!  what can i do now???

Friday, July 03, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Thanks to Sharon M 5 weeks of failure now installed was giving up hope :-)
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:31 PM
  • what about those of us who have a problem with SP2? i've had this problem for over 2 months and i can't find a solution, please help!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Please follow the steps Given below

1. Unnistall the Anti virus software
    2.Perform a clean boot, goto START>MSCONFIG> Enter>Select StartupTAB
    >Disable all>then select Services TAB > Hide All Microsoft Services>Apply or
    OK>
    3. Goto Start>services> enter> Stop the windows udpate services
    4.Goto Start>Computer>Local Disk C:\>Windows>Software distribution folder>
    Try to rename it as SD.OLD
    5.Restart the system and Try to install SP1
    6.After completing the SP1 installation Please Goto START> MSCONFIG> General
    TAB>Select Normal Startup > Select Apply or OK
    7.Restart the system in normal mode You SP1 installation is done.
    Monday, June 07, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Just in case, have you try to disable the update service from services.msc and restart it? I guess you may have to delete some folders/files so they can be re-generated right after restart the service. Please let me know if you need me to explain this solution in details, so I can provide accordingly.

mvh.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:18 PM
  • "WindowsUpdate_8024200D"

I had seems and I am trying to fix this trouble; Vista Ultimate SP2 I had upgraded from XP Pro. And I believed this product is compatible with my all applications which I am used. Could anybody help me in this error massage which is frequently coming when I update Vista.

Thanks

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:38 AM
  • hey, i get the same problem, using windows update to install sp1 for Vista Home Basic, (i got my laptop when Vista first was released) it says error 8024200D, i've been trying to install sp1 for a while now, HELP PLEASE!
    SirHobbes3
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:18 AM
  • I just bought a new laptop running Windows7 premium and have the same error code 
    Monday, August 08, 2011 1:08 PM
  • This can fix everything , I had same error , so try it and you will have SP1 :)
    http://archive.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=114597&cat_id=654
    Wednesday, July 04, 2012 10:17 AM