none
USB Device not recognized

Question

• I've had a issue with my USB device for 3 weeks probably now...I've fixed the problem temporarily trying ideas I've found on the web including the whole unplug your computer power cable from the wall for 20 seconds to a min then plug it back in to let the motherboard reset(which worked for a whole 3 days).

My problem is this I apparently have a usb device that malfunctioned obviously and because it did...it causes my PC to freeze anytime it is installed onto my pc again.Well before I could uninstall it and it'd work fine for a day before add new hardware re-installed it automatically but now not even 30 seconds later after uninstalling it so I can at least use my pc for a day it automatically installs this faulty device and is making me unable to do anything..since it will freeze not even 5 mins later or so.I've tried the whole just "Disable" and ignore it thing that will work for a little but then the "USB device not recognized" will pop up 3 hours or so later then 5 mins after that Freezing occurs.

So I am curious what real options do I have here...I've already thought about taking it in and getting the device just removed from my computer since I have 5 other good working USB devices but is there any other way I can get rid of this issue without having to remove anything?Honestly could solve all this if windows would let us either just disable auto hardware wizard and let us prompt it when we want it or if they made it so when you uninstall something it doesn't go looking for that particular device and re-install it.
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:14 PM

Answers

• I've had a issue with my USB device for 3 weeks probably now...I've fixed the problem temporarily trying ideas I've found on the web including the whole unplug your computer power cable from the wall for 20 seconds to a min then plug it back in to let the motherboard reset(which worked for a whole 3 days).

My problem is this I apparently have a usb device that malfunctioned obviously and because it did...it causes my PC to freeze anytime it is installed onto my pc again.Well before I could uninstall it and it'd work fine for a day before add new hardware re-installed it automatically but now not even 30 seconds later after uninstalling it so I can at least use my pc for a day it automatically installs this faulty device and is making me unable to do anything..since it will freeze not even 5 mins later or so.I've tried the whole just "Disable" and ignore it thing that will work for a little but then the "USB device not recognized" will pop up 3 hours or so later then 5 mins after that Freezing occurs.

So I am curious what real options do I have here...I've already thought about taking it in and getting the device just removed from my computer since I have 5 other good working USB devices but is there any other way I can get rid of this issue without having to remove anything?Honestly could solve all this if windows would let us either just disable auto hardware wizard and let us prompt it when we want it or if they made it so when you uninstall something it doesn't go looking for that particular device and re-install it.

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:19 PM

All replies

• Evening Creedant

What event viewer errors are happening?

What is being reported in the device manager? any yellow exclamation marks next to USB controllers? or devices?

Your not exceeding the powet requirements for your hub or adaptor are you?

support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Which version of windows installer are you using? Window 4.5 has a few more rules for device driver installs

What are your bios settings? Plug and play os? High speed?

Each motherboard is different so cannot help you out too much here.

Are there any impatient users that have turned your system off? Some bios revert bios setting back, and do not always play nice with windows.

What services are running?

services.msc

Plug and play?

Storage device?

support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Speaking of device what type of device are you having a problem with ?

Have you re-installed the usb.inf from this folder? (assuming this is xp not installed over w2k)

c:\windows\inf

Re-installed the device driver? Are you using the latest viersion if this is wireless? a storage back up devices?

Is this some device that depends on fire wall settings?

Using Active sync? Sync toy?

Tried this device on another computer to elimate the hardware device going bad?

Checked the cable connections and computer, device connections for small specs of dirt or metal?

Tried the cable on a different device?

Speaking of cabling using a slow speed cable on a high speed device?

Using a rubber eraser from a pencil cleaned the connections on the adaptor? or cables?

Or use lint free cloth and isopropel etoh?

See if a universal power supply with adaptor set, to see if a bad ps?

You didnt mention if this is Sp3. Remember this is a Sp3 or post Sp3 forum.

Fire wall blocks more ports then Sp2 did.

Hopefully something here helps you out.

Keith

Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:53 AM
  • In the events viewer didn't see anything about my device manager and in device manager I usually have it disabled so just a red X next to my "Unknown device" and today its Greyed out and the only way to see it is to check "Show hidden files" in view this is what I get for properties in it

Device type:Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Manufacturer: Unknown

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I have never unplugged this device and some days it actually recognizes it and will show it on the list without having to check "Show hidden files" on those days I usually disable it and days like yesterday everything was fine the whole day my pc ran and did not freeze.

I have tried unplugging all USB devices including my keyboard.mouse,wireless card and then running in safe mode it ran good for about 30 min's while I went online to seek information on fix's for this issue...then it froze again so that tells me none of my usb devices are causing it.I even updated my USB devices software ect. to see if that worked it seemed like it did for about...a week before problems arised again.

I do admit tho this all did happen about 2 weeks after installing my new wireless card a external nextel one that I had in a USB device located on the side of my pc(when the problems did happen) I switched it to the back of my pc after hearing that it helps,it did help for a short while but then it started popping up frequently and right now as I am speaking it installed the "usb device" its still unknown but I have it disabled so that I can at least write this without having to restart my pc after about 10 mins.

Oh I had a sp2 but since I figured it was something to do with windows not recognizing it ect. I decided to upgrade along with security upgrades ect,because I had read about some virus or something that can make windows think that a usb device has malfunctioned and cause system errors but I've done virus scan's ad ware scans ect. Everything turned up clean(running Avast! anti-virus btw and Spyware terminator) I've tried Regcure,thinking it was a error in the registry also and that fixed nothing if anything it made it freeze faster for a little period of time.

You mentioned usb.inf files and re-installing them one of the internets ideas of fixing this issue was to uninstall those files if I remember correctly and I'm not sure how to re-install them I did pop in my hardware cd which is a Insignia Restore DVD and I re-installed my USB drivers but that fixed nothing all my other USB Devices are Intel made but these I remember just saying generic windows or something(the ones i am having issues with)

I did open up my PC and check for dust and what not and I got say glad I did because my fan needed a cleaning lol So I cleaned all that blew some air in the usb devices to and dust got me in the eye so they did need some cleaning but it didnt work to my guess only for three days or so.

I have not tried remove the USB device(dont want to accidently fry my mother board removing it from my pc) I'm talking about a usb driver(whatever you call the plug in for your usb devices)thats malfunctioning btw not a Mouse or wireless card,I killed that theory when I unplugged all USB devices from my pc and still got the "Windows cannot recognize this usb device" and then system freezing 5 mins later.

I'm pretty sure this device doesn't depend on firewall settings it might I am not sure not that skills in computers to know that much.

Bio setting not sure how to check and if i should,dont want to screw anything up in there if it'll further damage my pc.

Everything else that went unanswered you'd have to tell me how to check since I am unsure but thank you for the quick reply glad someone out there is giving advice.

I've tried re-installing the driver.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  

evening

hmm sounds like something else is causeing your problem. If you tried the items listed in the kb posted earluier then take a look at the event viewer as shown in this microsoft kb. And we shall see if we can trouble shoot the problem

support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Keith.

Monday, September 22, 2008 3:03 AM
  • Well in Event Viewer-Application section there is a lot of these displayed
    Event Type:    Information
    Event Source:    ServiceLayer
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    0
    Date:        9/18/2008
    Time:        7:31:57 PM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    CREEDANTS-PC
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ServiceLayer ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

For ServiceLayer,Bonjour Service and iPod Service

In security there's only one thing that says failure and its this-
    Event Type:    Failure Audit
    Event Source:    Security
    Event Category:    Policy Change
    Event ID:    615
    Date:        9/21/2008
    Time:        10:34:31 AM
    User:        NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Description:
    IPSec Services:     IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

For System info-
    Event Type:    Warning
    Event Source:    W32Time
    Event ID:    36
    Date:        9/22/2008
    Time:        9:44:28 AM
    Description:
    The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Which I find weird because my time/date is right.

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    ipnathlp
    Event ID:    32003
    Date:        9/21/2008
    Time:        10:34:30 AM
    Description:
    The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

Data:
    0000: 1f 00 00 00               ....   

Event Source:    Service Control Manager
    Event ID:    7000
    Date:        9/18/2008
    Time:        9:24:24 AM
    Description:
    The npkcrypt service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Event Source:    DCOM
    Event ID:    10005
    Date:        9/16/2008
    Time:        4:16:56 PM
    User:        CREEDANTS-PC\Owner
    Description:
    DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service usnjsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {98AC5C33-EE18-4EC2-BE25-3B16EE8F75F1}

Event Source:    DCOM
    Event ID:    10005
    Date:        9/16/2008
    Time:        9:00:08 AM
    User:        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

My anti-virus just has warning of virus's it has found or errors when my computer froze and it failed to update is my guess.

and Internet explorer says "There are no items to show in this view"

hope that helps somewhat I showed what I could since it started and my guess is its a system thing.

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:19 PM
  • When I find problems with the Plug and play system

Installing Dot Net 1.1

Uninstall all the USB roots. Shut down the system and then reboot.

Try reinstalling every thing on the USB on reboot.

Sp3 had issues with USB devices and detecting them during install. Some people report Windows installer 3.1

I have found Windows installer 4.5 seems to fix most things when installing devices.

Suspend and resume issues can be fixed from the motherboard manufacturer hot fixes. 

Saturday, January 08, 2011 11:43 AM

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:19 PM
  • WHY is this marked as an answer when all it is is a quoted copy of the question?

There is no answer here. This is insane and highly counter-productive. What are you thinking?

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:23 AM