none
a connection to the deployment share could not be made.

Question

• Hello there.

I am very new to MDT 2010, so please take it easy.

I was running the RC and managed to successfully build a test Win7 image from a Reference machine. I did this by deploying the standard Enterprise image, but rather than 'capture' it straight after, I did some test tweeking to the image, as this is what our company requires.

Once happy, from the reference machine, I opened up the "litetouch.vbs" script from the DeploymentShare$\Scripts and invoked a 'sysprep and capture' task I had previous created. This ran perfectly, created my custom OS back to the server and I was then able to deploy it to my test target.

OK - so I was quite excited by all this - so far, so good.

Yesterday, I installed the new 'final release' of MDT 2010 and I spent some more time on my reference machine, making sure it was 'perfect' as a base release.

Once happy, I browsed back the DeploymentShare$ to run "litetouch.vbs" and although the wizard does start, allowing me to choose a Task Sequence and take me through credentials - at the end of the wizard, it just ends - no job is started.

Sometimes when I run the .vbs, I get a 'wizard error' popup ...  "A connection to the deployment share () could not be made. The deployment will not proceed".

Things I have done: rebooted both client and server. Recreated the 'sysprep and capture' job. Updated the MDT.

Can anyone help?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:51 AM

Answers

• I hit this problem yesterday with two Dell PCs. I use MDT 2010.

The error message was totally off...

The problem in BOTH cases was caused by bad local hard drives. Diskpart's "clean" fixed the problem.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:03 PM

All replies

• i am having the same issue i think. After you begin the TS go to C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS and open the bdd.log. I bet you see something like this.

Validating connection to \\SERVER\Distribution$ LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:25 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Already connected to server SERVER as that is where this script is running from. LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:25 PM 0 (0x0000)
    DestinationDisk and DestinationPartition are not set, reading from TS.XML LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:25 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Property OSDComputerName is now = System Serial Number LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:25 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Validating connection to \\SERVER\Distribution$ LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:25 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
     LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:26 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Unable to connect to \\SERVER\Distribution$.  Sleeping for 5 seconds. LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:26 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
     LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:31 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Unable to connect to \\SERVER\Distribution$.  Sleeping for 10 seconds. LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:31 PM 0 (0x0000)
     LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:41 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Unable to connect to \\SERVER\Distribution$.  Sleeping for 15 seconds. LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:41 PM 0 (0x0000)
     LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:56 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Unable to connect to \\SERVER\Distribution$.  Sleeping for 20 seconds. LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:49:56 PM 0 (0x0000)
     LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:50:16 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Unable to connect to \\SERVER\Distribution$.  Sleeping for 25 seconds. LiteTouch 9/10/2009 1:50:16 PM 0 (0x0000)

i am curious if you see this as well.
    I have a thread started asking about this problem but i havent had any replies.
    Tech with Alberta Education
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Friday, September 11, 2009 4:25 PM
  • seems to be a different issue then I am having
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:28 PM
  • hmmm ok, but have you tried this? Your problem sounds just like the one I was having, and this solved it for me.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:33 PM
  • my problems happens when i intiate a TS in windows not in PE.

Friday, September 11, 2009 4:33 PM
  • I experienced the same thing when launching the litetouch.vbs from a XP workstation. I was using this command

\\myserver\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs

I changed it to

\\172.10.15.26\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs

and it worked. Something in using an IP verses the computer name.
    Orange County District Attorney
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:22 PM
  • no luck for me. i tried a number of things.
    changing the bootstrap.ini to use IP, server and and WQDN and then combinations of excuting the litetouch.vbs from the 3 different paths all ended up with the above errors.

Friday, September 11, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Hello Mykel and Sandy Wood.

First of all, sorry for late replying - just got back to this.

Good news: It worked for me using the \\10.10.1.x\deploymentshare$ method.

However, when it came to providing the credentials, I noticed and error on the crendials popup that said

"Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

... which is exactly what your problem is in the logs Mykel.

All I did we re-input my domain admin un/pw again and the capture kicked off.

I think, Mykel, that this must be permissions related. I assume, like me, you are trying to capture a WORKGROUP pc. I wonder what would happen if you joined the PC to the domain and tried from there? Have you tried this? I know this isn't what you want but it might help to narrow down ...

I'm really sure this is 'just' some sort of network trust permissions things between the client and the server share ... maybe try relaxing the permissions on the share$ to allow EVERYBODY everything to see if this can help in the shortterm ... I think with Sandy Woods idea and my experience, we must be on the right lines.

Most problem are permissions problems, let's face it :)

I'll keep you posted on any more findings I have. As I said, I'm a novice, this is my first time with MDT so I may not be the most helpful of people at the moment but I'm happy to try anything out for you.

Thanks again guys ...

S.S.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:44 AM
  • the machine i am using is already connected to the domain and i am trying to intiate an upgrade or refresh OS install (USMT and what not). The bootstrap.ini has a user account specified and i think that maybe causing some issue.

In RC it never used the bootstrap.ini credentials when intiating a upgrade or refresh install within windows. However, with RTM 2010 i think its trying to open new connections to the share with the bootstrap credentials when there is already an open connection to the share.

As well, when i do a capture TS it does the capture fine but then reports the TS failed in the end and the show the exact same errors as above. This is the only time i see these messages while in WinPE. Baremetal installs work perfectly i think due to it just using the bootstrap.ini credentials only.

lastly permissions on the share and folder are set to everyone full access.

if i reinstall RC everything works fine. If i do RTM it fails.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:44 PM
  • I've got the same issue back when trying to launch a Capture today ... I think you could be right about the bootstrap.ini causing problems - i've been playing with that trying to get it to bypass the initial connection page in the LiteTouch, but to no avail ...

This worked first time in RC .. you say that if you roll back to RC it works fine ?! ... i might give that a spin, as I'm wasting hours here.

I wonder if perhaps a total uninstall and reinstall is needed - did you just install the RTM over the RC (like I did?)

S.S.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:59 PM
  • I opened a ticket with MS on this and was told that its an issue with MDT 2010 RTM.

With help of the support technicitian I was able to create a work around of mapping a network drive to the distribution share then intiating the litetouch.vbs.

I made this batch file to be used to intiate the vbs.
    @echo off
    cls
    Echo MDT Task Sequencer Started...
    pushd \\SERVER\distribution$
    \\SERVER\distribution$\Scripts\LiteTouch.vbs

This is only used for intiating the litetouch within windows (upgrades or refresh installs). The problem of multiple network connections while doing a capture is still unresolved but really not much of an issue since it still does the capture anyways.

I wonder if perhaps a total uninstall and reinstall is needed - did you just install the RTM over the RC (like I did?)
    I did a clean install of mdt 2010 rtm on another box and had the same issues when trying to start a simple TS.
    • Proposed as answer by Mykel Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:43 PM
  • I'm so glad you did that Mykel.

I uninstalled and did a complete fresh install and yet my first LiteTouch Capture didn't work with the same kind of errors you are talking about.

I think i'm cursed - I always manage to find "The Bug" straight away ... I hope they make a fix very soon (pretty bad this wasn't checked and how it managed to slip in between the final RC and RTM!)

I will try your script and report back.

Thank you again - because I am a novice with MDT, I kept blaming myself or my set up!

S.S
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:50 AM
  • Can I just say that you are a star! Your script works great. Even my bootstrap.ini is now working and i'm no longer being challenged on the LiteTouch start up.

Thanks so much ... it's still capturing and i'm sure i'll come across other problems, but you really have stopped me going insane! I wasted about 7 hours on this yesterday! People need to know about this one.

Thank you again Mykel - have a good day

S.S.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:20 AM
  • An even madder thing - I don't seem to be able to launch a PXE boot from the MDT 2010. It lauches the LiteTouch but then bomb out. Yet, your script gets around this if I launch LiteTouch via the script ... is something seriously broken in MDT 2010 !? Is anyone else capturing or pushing out images OK? Obviously not having PXE is a real pain !

I should have stuck with Acronis Snap Deploy - so much easier !

S.S.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Just deployed MDT2010 and seems I hit every bug mentioned here -- but PXE boot I have working.

First, MUCH THANKS to Mykel for that useful batch file.   I am not able to capture a PC via PXE boot, only running the Litetouch via the script...but that's just fine for my particular workflow. For deployment of my captured images, however, I am able to PXE boot into the system.   In order to do this, you need to have WDS installed, and then you simply add an image from the MDT Deploy share's "Boot" folder as a Boot Image in WDS.  To do this I went into WDS mgmt tool, added a Boot Image, and pointed it to the MDT's Deployment Share --> \Boot\LiteTouchPE_x86.WIM (or LiteTouchPE_x64.WIM, whichever OS deployment you are doing).  

Once the LiteTouchPE_x--.WIM file is added to WDS, it's now available for PXE boot (it was for me, just after I added the proper 066 and 067 Scope Options to my DHCP environment)

Hope that helps.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Hey Guys,

There was a posting by deployment guys in the blog in somewhat this issue, have a looks

Link: http://blogs.technet.com/deploymentguys/archive/2009/09/23/making-winpe-wait-for-network-in-lti-deployments.aspx

Hope it helps

Rakesh Sahoo
    • Proposed as answer by Mykel Friday, October 23, 2009 2:44 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:54 PM
  • script did the trick for me.  Thanks!!

Note that in the past (MDT 2008) I would remove the machine from the domain, then run litetouch as local admin.

This script requires you to be in the domain and logged in with an appropriate account t run properly.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:24 AM
  • I'm having the same issue in the first post.

In the log I am seeing:

Unable to connect to \\server\deploymentshare$
    Connection OK. Possible cause: Invalid credentials.

But I don't see how this is possible as I am using the same credentials to connect and run the vbs script as I am inputting into the wizard to connect to the deployment share.

I tried connecting via IP address instead and it worked! So thanks Sandy Wood for that. But I can't see how this solved the problem? Up until now everything I have done has been using the hostname, not IP address.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Hi guys!

There is a bug in MDT 2010 with the multiple connections to the deployment share.
    I don't know if you've already seen this link, but I'm sharing anyway!

"This problem seems to occur most often when logged onto the client machine as one user and entering different credentials into the deployment wizard or customsettings.ini."

http://blogs.technet.com/msdeployment/archive/2009/09/18/fix-for-multiple-connections-to-a-server-or-shared-resource-by-the-same-user-using-more-than-one-user-name-are-not-allowed-problem-with-mdt-2010.aspx

Have a nice weekend!
    • Proposed as answer by Andreas Buevik Friday, October 23, 2009 6:54 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Hi

I was geting the same Wizard Error but I got it all working now.

The only thing I did was that I run net use */d  and check afterthat with net use that I didnt have any connections to my mdt server.

//Andreas Fransson, CGIT
    • Proposed as answer by jori5 Friday, July 02, 2010 11:54 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:57 AM
  • I had the same problem today, i was able to resolve it by connecting to my MDT server using the FQDN. (my client is an xp machine in a workgroup)

but then i hit another problem, like described here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/3929fe26-e66c-482b-8402-c5111c896430?prof=required

I'll try the batch mentioned here, hope it helps in my case.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Hello all! I was having an issue similar to this one:
    I'm having the same issue in the first post.

In the log I am seeing:

But I don't see how this is possible as I am using the same credentials to connect and run the vbs script as I am inputting into the wizard to connect to the deployment share.

I tried connecting via IP address instead and it worked! So thanks Sandy Wood for that. But I can't see how this solved the problem? Up until now everything I have done has been using the hostname, not IP address.
    After troubleshooting using WireShark, I noticed one of my TARGET computers had a WRONG date/time which causses some errors like:

1. "The user context supplied is invalid" (COMMAND LINE)
    2. "Unable to connect to \\SERVER\SHARE. Connection OK. Possible cause: Invalid credentials" (MDT 2010 deployment wizard)

Hope it can saves you deploying time.

Thanks,

Julio César.

P.D.

Here it's the BDD.log
    <![LOG[Property LogPath is now = X:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS]LOG]!><time="02:26:24.000+000" date="10-11-2009" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[FAILURE ( 5203 ): A connection to the deployment share () could not be made.  The deployment will not proceed.
    Connection OK. Possible cause: invalid credentials
    .]LOG]!><time="02:26:24.000+000" date="10-11-2009" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Just throwing this out there, changing server name to IP address in bootstrap.ini fixed my problem as well.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:21 PM
  • In my environment, I solved the issue joining to the domain the workstation...

Greetings
    Monguitronik
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:38 PM
  • I had to join the machine to the domain but I also had to log in as a domain account that had admin privilege on both the client machine and the Server that had MDT 2010 configured on it.   Running the script as local admin did not work correctly.

Monday, March 29, 2010 12:51 PM
  • I had to join the machine to the domain but I also had to log in as a domain account that had admin privilege on both the client machine and the Server that had MDT 2010 configured on it.   Running the script as local admin did not work correctly.

Monday, March 29, 2010 12:51 PM
  • I deploy my LiteTouchPE_x86.wim (from MDT 2010) with a WDS on Server 2003 for Windows 7 Deployment.

I press F8 in the Windows PE to get the command prompt. then i typing in it "date" enter the synchron time of the server, where the wds and mdt located.

i start the client again with pxe-boot and it works fine.

• Proposed as answer by VolP Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:38 PM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:32 AM
  • I hit this problem yesterday with two Dell PCs. I use MDT 2010.

The error message was totally off...

The problem in BOTH cases was caused by bad local hard drives. Diskpart's "clean" fixed the problem.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Can I just say that you are a star! Your script works great. Even my bootstrap.ini is now working and i'm no longer being challenged on the LiteTouch start up.

Thanks so much ... it's still capturing and i'm sure i'll come across other problems, but you really have stopped me going insane! I wasted about 7 hours on this yesterday! People need to know about this one.

Thank you again Mykel - have a good day

S.S.

Tray to make a map network drive for ur share

Ahmed Hosni

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

I have faced this type of issue; this is a Network credential issue. My suggestion is add the user credential in Edit bootstrap.ini under the deployment properties.

I am giving a step for this: Open the Deployment Workbenchà Deployment Shareà R/C and go to properties on Deployment Share which you are createdà click on Rulesà Edit Bootstrap.ini

[Settings]

Priority=Default

[Default]

DeployRoot=\\servername\Deploymentshre$

UserID=Administrator

UserDomain=ABC.com

UserPassword=XXXXXXXXX

Friday, May 13, 2011 7:37 AM
  • I experienced the same thing when launching the litetouch.vbs from a XP workstation. I was using this command

\\myserver\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs

I changed it to

\\172.10.15.26\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs

and it worked. Something in using an IP verses the computer name.
    Orange County District Attorney

This worked for me, interesting difference I noticed during on the credentials screen was the format of the domain. Instead of the domain being in Pre 2000 format (DOMAINNAME), it automatically changed it to (domain).local. Not sure if this is significant.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:05 AM
  • This worked for me as well. 

What was frustrating to me is that it worked fine before (with the Hostname), then after all my customizations to my deployment share, it stopped working.  I was convinced that it had something to do with my PE drivers, so I completely scrapped my setup and started from scratch but only to find out, that the problem still occured.

I don't know what exactly went wrong, but part of me believes that I must have been "erroneously" joined to the domain for the first capture that worked.  I'm not sure if it would make a difference, but at the moment, its the only thing that comes in mind.  What do you guys think?

Just wanted to put it out there, that after two years, your suggestion still works.  Thank you.

• Proposed as answer by AmyRedwing Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by AmyRedwing Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:01 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:41 PM
  • I'm having the same issue in the first post.

In the log I am seeing:

I was having this problem also.  I was trying to image a machine with MDT that had been imaged in the past with MDT and the only thing I can think is it might have been using cached credentials from the previous imaging process.  Turns out all I had to do is wipe the target drive and then I was back in business.
    Friday, December 02, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Just had the same problem described here. I was getting an ip address and the networking was working ok but I was still getting this message. The solution was to physically delete the iso and the wim files from the deployment share Boot directory and update the Deployment Share. Please note that I tried several times to use the option to completely regenerate the images and this did not work. I had to physically delete the files.
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:36 PM
  • & all people with the following issue: Connection OK. Possible cause: Invalid credentials.

Try with this:

Simply dis-click/deactivate Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

This should solve your problems, 4 pretty sure!

U can reedit again Bootstrap.ini and rewrite it in original state! If you do this don't forget at the end to update deployment share in deployment workbench and replace *.wim file from \DeploymentShare\Boot in \RemoteInstall\Boot\x86\Images respectively \RemoteInstall\Boot\x64\Images.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:07 AM
  • I have an MDT 2010 built and it was working fine, until i did Some changes in the bootstrap.ini file, and now my deployment is not working,
    giving error "connection to the deployment share could not be possible - connection ok, invalid credentials"
    [Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\Deploymentshare\MDTShare$

UserDomain=XXX
    UserID=XXXXX
    UserPassword=XXXXXXXX

DeployRoot=\\Deploymentshare\MDTShare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs
    can anyone help me on this.......

Friday, October 12, 2012 10:28 AM
  • First, after reading the above thread and others I am convinced there are at least 2 bugs involved, possibly more.  None of these are bad enough that everyone sees the problem but certain configurations (different from obvious defaults) cause these to manifest -- otherwise everyone would get the problem and it would have been fixed long ago.

The first -- and worst bug -- is that ERROR MESSAGE -- it is indeed indicative of "bad credentials" and at least a half dozen OTHER problems, some of those not even being the Admins fault, but bugs in there own right.

"connection to the deployment share could not be possible - connection ok, invalid credentials"

This error message is causing people to look (repeatedly) at credentials (which could be a legitimate problem of course), when their real problem is frequently something else.

It is probably causing the Microsoft developers and others experts, who would normally help, to put the whole thing down to "Admin Error".

Bad/missing NIC drivers, time out when the NIC drivers load too slow, name resolution, permissions, disk being 'dirty', multiple logon credentials, etc etc are all 'reasons' this is failing.  (And these are just the one that I remember seeing and believing they possibly somewhat matched my situation.)

To be clear, I am experiencing this on DTK 2012 and still getting it even though I can MANUALLY connect  (from command prompt) with those precise credentials.

That alone means there is at least one other bug (besides the bogus error message):  If you can connect manually, then LiteTouch should connect automatically.

Apparently, the 2010 version has already had code added to "wait" longer for the Net to initialize.

--

HerbM

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:49 AM
  • First, after reading the above thread and others I am convinced there are at least 2 bugs involved, possibly more.  None of these are bad enough that everyone sees the problem but certain configurations (different from obvious defaults) cause these to manifest -- otherwise everyone would get the problem and it would have been fixed long ago.

The first -- and worst bug -- is that ERROR MESSAGE -- it is indeed indicative of "bad credentials" and at least a half dozen OTHER problems, some of those not even being the Admins fault, but bugs in there own right.

"connection to the deployment share could not be possible - connection ok, invalid credentials"

This error message is causing people to look (repeatedly) at credentials (which could be a legitimate problem of course), when their real problem is frequently something else.

It is probably causing the Microsoft developers and others experts, who would normally help, to put the whole thing down to "Admin Error".

Bad/missing NIC drivers, time out when the NIC drivers load too slow, name resolution, permissions, disk being 'dirty', multiple logon credentials, etc etc are all 'reasons' this is failing.  (And these are just the one that I remember seeing and believing they possibly somewhat matched my situation.)

To be clear, I am experiencing this on DTK 2012 and still getting it even though I can MANUALLY connect  (from command prompt) with those precise credentials.

That alone means there is at least one other bug (besides the bogus error message):  If you can connect manually, then LiteTouch should connect automatically.

Apparently, the 2010 version has already had code added to "wait" longer for the Net to initialize.

--

HerbM

I'm experiencing the same on DTK 2012 update 1. Have you found a solution for the problem? 

/Anders

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:38 PM
  • This actually solved it for me. Thanks a whole lot!
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:26 AM
  • I had a similar issue: battery on the motherboard failed and the date/time were wrong. Changing the battery + configure date/time solved the problem. Thanks !
    Monday, March 03, 2014 12:06 PM