none
Winpe 3.0 - Need a Yes/No Utility for Batch Files

General discussion

• I need a utility that can be called in a batch file and prompt for a Yes/No response in Winpe 3.0 64bit.  I tried choice.exe, that I copied from Win7 64bit, but it does not display [Y,N] when called in Winpe.  It just displays empty brackets and does not respond to any input.   I have tried other utilities that serve the same function, but they are not compatible with 64bit Winpe.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:27 PM

All replies

• Well, I tried the same batch file using Winpe 3.0 32bit (x86), and had the same problems.  I used choice.exe from Vista Ultimate 32bit and it displayed the same behavior - I am guessing there is some support file(s) needed for choice.exe that are not in Winpe.  I also tried a little utility I have used many times over the years called YN.com.  This file works fine in Vista 32bit, but in Winpe, it says it cannot find the file - which is code in Winpe for I don't know what to do with this file.

So - if anyone knows of a way to do this rather simple task of prompting for Yes or No (Y/N) in a batch file, in Winpe, please let me know.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:50 PM
  • I ran into the same problem with the 64-bit version of WinPE 3.0, however choice.exe v5.2.3790.0 worked fine for me when I used the x86 image from the WAIK. Which version are you using?
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:01 AM
  • The one from Vista32 (SP2), v6.0.6000.16386.  Is your version from XP?
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:26 AM
  • For anyone else trying to get this working... this version of choice.exe is in Windows Server 2003.  It may be a part of the Resource Kit, but I happened to find it on one of my older servers.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:32 PM
  • ... and the choice.exe does work with the new Windows 7 build of Windows PE 3 for x86...
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:48 PM