none
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 installation fails with error code c0000034

Question

• I've seen several entries regarding sp1 instalation errors, but none with this one: falat error c0000034 applying update operation

Machine is x64 (intel core i7), with 8gb mem

tried installing sp1 via windows update. there were three patches to install, one of them, sp1

did the two first, before, and then tried sp1.

It failed while rebooting (not remember the code, sorry), but i was able to do a system restore to pre-sp1.

them, got the full SP1 media from msdn, and did install it in offilne mode. Setup looked faster (of course?) and in reboot, this fatal error c0000034 appeared. But this time, no option for system restore.

if i try to enter in safe mode, i get stuck on driver loading (last loaded is classpnp.sys)

if i try to run, as seen in other threads, the sfc tool, i get a "there is a system repair pending which requires a boot to complete..." Of course, reboot just gets me to the 34 error.

As i cannot get to Windows, no InPlace setup is available...

So, i read about DISM could be used as a before-last resourt... How? I'm not sure what this error is, so i'm a bit lost about getting something out of DISM to correct it.

Any help?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• //
    // MessageId: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
    //
    // MessageText:
    //
    // Object Name not found.
    //
    #define STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND     ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000034 L)

boot from the Windows 7 DVD or Windows Recovery Environment (F8)[1] and run the command prompt and run this:

DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

(replace C: with the drive where you installed Windows 7)

This reverts all pending operations. Now you should go back to Windows 7 RTM.

Have you used Driver Sweeper to remove the ATI Inbox drivers? Yes, check this:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 fails to install with 0x800f0a13 or 0x800f0826

If not, Please run the Windows Explorer and go to the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\" and copy all files to your document folder, also copy the setupapi logs from the folder C:\Windows\Inf and the file "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log" to your document folder (otherwise you can't upload it), zip all files into 1 ZIP and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [2] and post a link here.

[1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

no driver sweeper used

I've run dism, but got error 2, which i read somewhere else (by you,  think) it is error not found, and it did nothing to stop pending actions

i've placed all the log files refered in this and other threads regarding installation (poqexec.log, cbs.log, setupapi, dism.log, ...) in here:

http://cid-1a5c47239c51c0aa.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/W7Sp1Logs.zip

For what is worth, i do not have any full system backup of the down machine, but have a different, pre-sp1 x64 w7 ultimate one available if needed to get some files.

thanks for all your help

miguel

• Edited by Miguel Saraiva Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:37 PM added info
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:36 PM
  • also, trying to boot with f8 and Last known good configuration, enters the same error, trying to apply update operation, and repair does not find anything wrong, and just says to restart after a while.

miguel

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:53 PM
  • 2011-02-23 16:15:50, Info                  CBS    Failure in poqexec.exe while processing updates. [HRESULT = 0x80071a2d - ERROR_TRANSACTION_NOT_ACTIVE]
    2011-02-23 16:15:50, Error                 CBS    Shtd: Failed while processing non-critical primitive operations queue. Non-critical primitives will be retried from SMSS. [HRESULT = 0x80071a2d - ERROR_TRANSACTION_NOT_ACTIVE]

//
    // MessageId: STATUS_TRANSACTION_NOT_ACTIVE
    //
    // MessageText:
    //
    // The requested operation was made in the context of a transaction that is no longer active.
    //
    #define STATUS_TRANSACTION_NOT_ACTIVE    ((NTSTATUS)0xC0190003 L)

1cbd37244f44df3: 74c, c0190003 , 7b75, 0, CreateFile ;\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Backup\amd64_microsoft-windows-w..ient-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_7.5.7601.17514_hu-hu_5e9bd461d23f97af_wuaueng.dll.mui _297f975d

so this CreateFile command failed because the transaction is closed.

This can be fixed the the system readiness tool. But the problem is that you need to return to RTM.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:23 PM
  • any brute force method exists to stop the system to try to update on boot, instead of using the dism? dism does not work

thanks

Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:29 PM
  • rename the pending.xml from the WinSxS folder. this forces Windows to stop the installation.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi Andre

How would you go about deleting that file from the command prompt?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:24 PM
  • delete/rename the pending.xml from the WinSxS folder. this forces Windows to stop the installation.

i did that but system gets stuck on starting windows screen.. any other solution
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:06 PM
  • delete/rename the pending.xml from the WinSxS folder. this forces Windows to stop the installation.

i did that but system gets stuck on starting windows screen.. any other solution

I have same problem and same result....
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:00 PM
  • i did that but system gets stuck on starting windows screen.. any other solution
    what do you mean with stuck?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Reboot and press F8 right after the Bios Screen.

Select Windows Recovery Environment [this should be the top option].

Select keyboard option and login for your account.

=> Open the "Command Prompt"

=> find your Windows directory (my PC was on D:)

=> cd to Windows\WinSxS folder

=> type in this command move pending.xml pending.old

=> exit command prompt

=> run "System Restore"

=> select the option for Service Pack 1

=> exit and reboot

That fixed my system...

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:45 AM
  • He probably means the same thing as I see.  Tried using DISM, no luck.  Tried renaming pending.xml, rebooted & system hangs at Windows Startup logo.  When I try F8 Safe Mode, it takes about the same time to hang & it always stops at CLASSPNP.SYS so I suspect the same is happening when I try to boot normally.  With pending.xml in place, I also get the C0000034 fatal error.

I really need to get this machine running again but cannot afford the time to reinstall all the applications & they are obviously unharmed.  What are my options?  If I reinstall off the installation disc, will my current installation be properly repaired or will it wipe everything out?  Is my data drive (D:, a separate physical drive containing my User Profiles, accomplished with a minimal unattend.xml) in any danger?

Friday, February 25, 2011 5:45 AM
  • He probably means the same thing as I see.  Tried using DISM, no luck.  Tried renaming pending.xml, rebooted & system hangs at Windows Startup logo.  When I try F8 Safe Mode, it takes about the same time to hang & it always stops at CLASSPNP.SYS so I suspect the same is happening when I try to boot normally.  With pending.xml in place, I also get the C0000034 fatal error.

Totaly same result...
    Friday, February 25, 2011 8:12 AM
  • I have the same error as everyone else. FATAL ERROR C0000034. 

I tried the DISM thing and I also tried renaming pending.xml. Neither worked.

My computer wont boot into safe mode and I have no system restores available. When I renamed pending.xml, I stopped getting the error, but now Windows just stalls at the startup screen. 

I also tried going to Last Good Configuration, and that didnt work either.

What should I dooooooooooooooo?

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:40 PM
  • I have the same error as everyone else. FATAL ERROR C0000034. 

I tried the DISM thing and  I also tried renaming pending.xml.  Neither worked.

My computer wont boot into safe mode and I have no system restores available. When I renamed pending.xml, I stopped getting the error, but now Windows just stalls at the startup screen. 

I also tried going to Last Good Configuration, and that didnt work either.

What should I dooooooooooooooo?

Totaly same as I... You can reinstall your PC or wait for fix (like me). Now I am running Linux (ubuntu) Live CD.....
    Friday, February 25, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Well, i tried all possibilities and suggestions. Brute forcing removing pending.xml did not work. I also tried removing "temporary" fix folders,

The result was booting, and stalling in a black screen. no messages. F8 Safe modes did not work either.

So, for me, clean install. Moved everything into an OLD folder. This way, all drivers and so on are readily available (install pointing to system32\driverstore)

I did weight the option of wating for some fix for this, but by the time someone gets some answer, i already have everything installed and running (and a freshly installed computer is a must :)

So, thanks a lot for André Ziegler for all help, and for his massive work analysing all the log files that many people put in skydrive.

Regards, and best of luck for all (and for me. i still have two machines waiting for sp1)

Now it's time for all the SDK, API, Frameworks and so and so... A calm friday :)

Miguel

Friday, February 25, 2011 1:05 PM
  • I THINK I FOUND A WAY TO FIX IT!!

I WILL POST AN UPDATE IN 45 MINS...

Friday, February 25, 2011 2:22 PM
  • I THINK I FOUND A WAY TO FIX IT!!

I WILL POST AN UPDATE IN 45 MINS...

Oh yes... I am waiting... :)
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:26 PM
  • do this please to help other users.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Yes please ! Same problem there in France on several virtual Windows 7 64 bits in french
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:08 PM
  • I am trying the solution from Tim Hoover...It's long to restore at the end.

I'll keep you aware.

But I think that this problem is really critical for Microsoft...

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Thanks for the steps, but I don't have that ID in my file...
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Indeed, I found other ways to find that part. Line 1697, char 142 marks the end of the section in my case. The start can be found using the end part of the preceding tag.

Holy shit, it worked. I'm in. Do you like beer?

PS: it didn't work right away. I got a few errors and reverts, then another reboot. Now, I can login. There's no way that I'm trying this update again soon.

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:45 PM
  • ok, I bookmark this. Can someone with the c0000034 test this and verify it?

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:12 PM
  • I tried the instructions from Tim Hoover above, and this is what followed:

After renaming the pending.xml file, System Restore almost finished running, and then said it could not complete successfully (choosing the SP1 install restore point).  I went ahead and closed the window, allowing the computer to restart itself.   Voila! It booted normally, and appears to have rolled back the service pack.  I will wait until a fix is found for this issue before attempting a re-install.

If that had not worked, thiswoot's suggestion was my next bet.  Though you may be able to simplify the proceedure thusly:

F8 when your computer boots and chose "Repair your computer"

Set the keyboard layout and login with your administrator password

Choose Command Prompt from the menu

Type:  C:   and hit enter

Type:   notepad.exe c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Resume with step 11 from thiswoot's post.  :-)   My apologies if this doesn't work, but that's how I open files in Notepad while in the Windows environment.

Cheers,

Mög

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:16 PM
  • PLEASE paste all the blue selection here http://pastebin.com/.

my pending.xml is a bit different

I need to know specific lines to delete... the "blue selection" I useless for me....

• Edited by javurmar Friday, February 25, 2011 4:28 PM ....
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Same problem for me...

I can find  ._0000000000000000.cdf-ms" destination="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\File

But lines after seems differents...

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:31 PM
  •  

• Proposed as answer by javurmar Friday, February 25, 2011 5:25 PM
    • Edited by thiswoot Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:06 PM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:33 PM
  • I did it by removing several lines starting with <SetFileinformation.... and with the tons of AAAAA...FFF..II...AAA..BBBB letters.

I imagine that it removes the blocking lines...

I will see if it is stable and if I can restart SP1 update :)

Yes I am crazy.

This is what I removed thanks to windiff :

http://pastebin.com/00MRcbnx

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:42 PM
  • It has worked for me.

But I know this is absolutely not explainable...and not sure at all.

Friday, February 25, 2011 5:11 PM
  • lol nice job
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:18 PM
  • YESSSS ... My windows is working too. But I can not explain too what lines I had deleted...
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:24 PM
  • You saved my data/time everythink... THX
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:26 PM
  • This Worked  Many Many thanks you are a life saver.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Unfortunately too late for me.  I got online with a MS tech last night & ended up wiping my system install.  I haven't lost data (yet) but now I have to reconfigure & reinstall all my applications & user profiles.  I figure the grand total time lost will be a full week, including 2-3 days remaining to get it to a useful state.

I don't know if I should try to install SP1 before or after I get my machine to a useful state again.  It was 100% stable & up-to-date right before the failed SP1 attempt.  Given that SP1 is *supposed* to be minimal, I'm tempted to install it before migrating my old User Profiles.  What a nightmare.

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:27 PM
  • i retyped the whole URL from my phone (on which i was reading this given my PC crashed) just to thank this guy.

You sir (or ma'am) are a genius! Thank you!

Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:51 AM
  • glad you got it working polymorphicPinapple, ron325, javurmar!!!

Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:02 AM
  • I attempted Tim Hoover's suggested method to no avail.  I have also found that the entries:

<DeleteFile path="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\program_files_x86_reference_assemblies_microsoft_framework_v3.0

and:

<DeleteFile path="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\_0000000000000000.cdf-ms"/>

are not present in my pending.xml file. 

I removed:

<Checkpoint/>
            <MoveFile source="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\e56db1db48d4cb0199440000b01de419._0000000000000000.cdf-ms" destination="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\_0000000000000000.cdf-ms"/>

and rebooted, but it seems to hang at the "starting windows" screen as many other members have reported supra.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Pete

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:01 AM
  • I removed:

<Checkpoint/>
            <MoveFile source="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\e56db1db48d4cb0199440000b01de419._0000000000000000.cdf-ms" destination="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\_0000000000000000.cdf-ms"/>

and rebooted, but it seems to hang at the "starting windows" screen as many other members have reported supra.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Pete

Wait about 5 minutes (literally) at the "starting windows" screen before giving up and rebooting. 
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:06 AM
  • Yes, it is working beautifully now. 

Thank you again for your assistance!

What do you suspect that the issue was?

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Thank You very much dear sir!!! i have only one question - what should i do now - should i replace the altered original pending.xml, with "back up" version, or was that only a precaution?
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:10 PM
  • enderock - Yes the backup was only precaution. You can either delete it or leave it. Do NOT rename it to pending.xml. It could mess stuff up.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:31 PM
  • god damn! that worked like a charm. thank you soooo much.

- steve

Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Thank you so much thiswoot. This worked perfectly. 
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Thanks thiswoot . Worked like champ. Appreciate ur help
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Excellent!! Thank you. Worked for me on two different pcs.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:39 PM
  • thiswoot,

Not only are you a lifesaver, you're a genius to boot!  Thank you very, very much for providing this fix. I, once again, am a happy man...

Roberre

Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Hello Tim,

I tried using your method, however, there was no pending.xml file in my WinSxS folder --- do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks....

Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Hello,

I tried to use your method to fix my system, however, when I reached Step #11 - there was no pending.xml file in my Winsxs folder.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you...

Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Really thanks Thiswoot for the easy steps!

It worked for me! You're a hero!

Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:42 AM
  • THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Yes it worked!

Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:11 PM
  • This worked perfectly for me, thank you very, very much for your kind efforts and hard work.

Instead of using the notepad aspect of your solution I used my Ubuntu dual boot option and accessed the folders and Pending.XML file through that. I supposed the Ubuntu live CD would be just as effective. But, ultimately it was down to the solution you posted here that worked for me. Thank you again. :¬)

• Proposed as answer by thiswoot Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by thiswoot Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:50 PM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I'm one of those.

Editing that large xml with notepad was a pain, but it seems to be working, my affected computer booted alright and is currently reinstalling the service pack as if nothing happened.

Thx a real lot @thiswoot, I don't know how u figured that out but it's great. U saved my day!

Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:59 PM
  • OMG i love you you saved my laptop

tho it did take some time to find it and the file was in drive E or something

but thank you SOOOOOO much i will forever worship you!!!!!!

Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:16 PM
  • As the others have said.....Thank you!
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Marvellous ! great ! Many thanx.

What i figured out that changing the pending.xml in such a way that it fails the update process prior to getting it stuck is the key to this solution.

Because now after the logon, it says Update failed to install and in details is shows invalid parameter.

I must say even the destroying the proper syntax of this xml file would also do the trick.

any how saved one of my client big time because no backup, not able to boot in any safe mode, dism command also failinig with error=2, no past images or restore points, this the only DC with no ADCs and other options entailed redeployment of whole infrastructure i-e AD, Exchange, SharePoint with considerable data loss.

Update process is smooth, problem originated because of electric failure during the update process.

Shahid Roofi
    • Proposed as answer by Shahid Roofi Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:52 PM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Same error here but my machine has been acting terribly just prior to that. Such as "Unleashing mode" errors, crashed within minutes when logged into like WoW with blue screens. After dl SP1 everything pretty much stopped. I can't boot up, I get stucked on the same fatal error 282 out of ( forgot the number).

Now I am trying woot's tutorial but when I opened the notepad, it shows 3 hard drives and my supposly C drive is now on D.

I am so lost I have been trying to fix my machine for days and nothing is working. Repair doesn't and tells me my computer can not be repaired, sp1 deleted my restore points and when i tried to make an restore to the 24th of this month, that is when all stopped and I get hung up on the fatal error code.

I, as well don't have a backup disk, well I have one from last july but not sure how to work it. And dl an recovery disk, same thing nothing works. I don't know how to reinstall W7 since I don't have a disk.

What can I do? Any help would be so appreciated.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:41 PM
  • How did you repair your clients PC, via remote controlled programs?

Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:43 PM
  • boot with any win7 DVD or window 2008 R2 DVD, and choose repair option on startup. use command prompt option down the road.

browse to c:\windows\winsxs folder and open pending.xml in notepad (takes a while)

then try to make the changes in the file as suggested in this blog.

Works like a charm.

Shahid Roofi
    • Proposed as answer by Shahid Roofi Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:03 PM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Ok I did all this ( I hope I did it correct ) and it did a system restore as well ( one I have tried previously and didnt seem to work ). I did change  the boot up back to regular w7 and not from the disk.

Via blue welcome screen it did some windows updates and once done and desktop showed up, i got this error

http://i52.tinypic.com/2v9651z.jpg
    Thank you in advance
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Ok I did all this ( I hope I did it correct ) and it did a system restore as well ( one I have tried previously and didnt seem to work ). I did change  the boot up back to regular w7 and not from the disk.

Via blue welcome screen it did some windows updates and once done and desktop showed up, i got this error

Thank you in advance

If you are able to log into Windows (which is what it looks like), I wouldnt worry about the SP1 installation being unsuccessful. Just wait until Microsoft fixes the problem and install it again.

Monday, February 28, 2011 6:44 AM
  • WOW!  This saved my computer!  I thought I was going to have to wipe and reinstall!  I started with Error c000009a; then after trying to trouble shoot got the c0000034 error - and just about lost it all; then I found this forum and this other forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/error-code-c000009a-problems-applying-update-to/365bb5ac-065f-422e-901b-843496ff1245

that notepad.exe in cmd prompt saved the whole process for me!  Thank you ALL so much!!!

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:28 AM
  • LOL at your long way around

just do notepad exe, open reboot.xml

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
    <PendingTransaction Version="3.1">
        <POQ>
            <DeleteKeyValue path="\Registry\Machine\COMPONENTS" name="PendingRequired"/>
        </POQ>
    </PendingTransaction>

copy that out and drop it into your pending.xml

few restarts done by sp1 and the computer will revert to previous settings, walla your in windows again. have a good day

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:39 AM
  • you rock man!  It worked;

Also for those of you getting the C000009A Error - hit ctrl F again and type in amd64_microsoft-windows-e..atibility.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_pt-pt_  if it doesn't find it type in atibility.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_pt-pt_

Once your search finds this line of code find the first '<' that appears before it.  Type in '!' right after the '<' 

save the file and close notepad and the command prompt and restart your computer and go through normal install just as thiswoot posted.

Thanks again!  You saved my computer!!!

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:27 AM
  • Yes it does and thanks so much...

but now I am back to another problem which was the original one such as when I log into any game, watch a youtube clip etc, it gives me the blue screen of death and I don't know why.

Monday, February 28, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Yes it does and thanks so much...

but now I am back to another problem which was the original one such as when I log into any game, watch a youtube clip etc, it gives me the blue screen of death and I don't know why.

It might be a problem with your video card or ram.

In the Windows search bar search for Windows Memory Diagnostic and run a memory scan. If thats not the problem try updating your video card drivers.

Also search for the blue screen error message on google.

Monday, February 28, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Cheers guys - two days of searching the web for a solution to this issue and have now fixed thanks to you :)

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Yes I did upgrade my drivers a few weeks back, but I guess I have a bad card it's an Nvidia GT220 and I have heard it is bad. I have called "Cyberpower" where I bought my PC from today and after charging me $32, they are sending me a W7 OEM... and I may have to go for a clean install.

Thank you very much for your help though :)

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:04 AM
  • what causes this kind of problem? Microsoft should fix this, i've already xperienced this error twice, at first i had my PC reformatted, and now it's d same error again,,, just want 2 ask, is the "LAUNCH STARTUP REPAIR" is built only w/ certain brand of PCs, cause i cant find it in my LENOVO laptop, i pressed F8 as my PC boot, but it only shows this SAFE MODE SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT LAST GOOD CONFIGURATION START WINDOWS NORMALLY pls help thanks
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:36 PM
  • what causes this kind of problem? Microsoft should fix this, i've already xperienced this error twice, at first i had my PC reformatted, and now it's d same error again,,, just want 2 ask, is the "LAUNCH STARTUP REPAIR" is built only w/ certain brand of PCs, cause i cant find it in my LENOVO laptop, i pressed F8 as my PC boot, but it only shows this SAFE MODE SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT LAST GOOD CONFIGURATION START WINDOWS NORMALLY pls help thanks

Try pressing the reboot button on your PC while windows is on the black "starting windows" screen. Then once it starts up again, dont press F8. Just let it start up and see if "Launch Startup Repair" is one of the options.

Here's how you can do the same thing though with the Windows 7 DVD instead:

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
    2. Press a key when you are prompted to restart from the disc.
    3. In the Install Windows window, select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard input method or other input method, and then click Next.
    4. In the Install Windows window, click Repair your computer.
    5. In the System Recovery Options window, click the version of the Windows 7 operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options window, click Command Prompt.

Once you finish that, go to step 07 from my original post with the solution.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Thank you very very much! I helped me too!

But suddenly appeared new problems:

1) Bluetooth manager stopped working at all.

2) Printers in the network are not working.

3) Windows update menu is crasged. I can see only the book picture and ... nothing.

Do you know how to solve those problems?

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:02 PM
  • I have one big problem. When I try to save the pending.xml after having made the adjustments mentioned above, the notepad.exe freezes. At first I thought it was just processing so I let the computer be. But after 15 mins I finally gave up and restarted the computer. Tried it a couple of times now (tested Save, Save as and exiting and clicking save when prompted) but everytime ends the same way.

So frustrated knowing this is the final step from getting my computer back on track. Panicing, what to do?

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 5:19 PM
  • I have one big problem. When I try to save the pending.xml after having made the adjustments mentioned above, the notepad.exe freezes. At first I thought it was just processing so I let the computer be. But after 15 mins I finally gave up and restarted the computer. Tried it a couple of times now (tested Save, Save as and exiting and clicking save when prompted) but everytime ends the same way.

So frustrated knowing this is the final step from getting my computer back on track. Panicing, what to do?

At the top of notepad click Format and make sure "Word Wrap" is not checked. It makes notepad go a lot slower. By restarting your computer while it was saving, you couldve corrupted pending.xml, so delete pending.xml and make a copy of the backup you made earlier and name it pending.xml. Then open it. I would leave the file saving for 20-30 minutes this time. If it takes longer than that, you could burn a linux live cd and edit the file thru there. But first try turning off "Word Wrap" in notepad and leaving it for 20-30 minutes.

Vladimir - Im not sure. I dont use bluetooth, but my printer and windows update still work normally. What errors are you getting?

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:14 PM
  • I did this and it worked but now when I boot to the desktop all I get is a black screen. I can safe boot with a screen. The only time I see nothing is when I go to the desktop. And I can't load the task manager either. Can someone help? Some how my system restore got cut off and I would hate to have to redo my whole system just because of windows!!! I have a laptop.
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:45 PM
  • I also get a message that says failure to display security and shutdown options.
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:12 PM

At the top of notepad click Format and make sure "Word Wrap" is not checked. It makes notepad go a lot slower. I would leave the file saving for 20-30 minutes. If it takes longer than that, you could burn a linux live cd and edit the file thru there. But first try turning off "Word Wrap" in notepad and leaving it for 20-30 minutes.

Vladimir - Im not sure. I dont use bluetooth, but my printer and windows update still work normally. What errors are you getting?

I'm so unbelievably frustrated now. Now when I try opening the pending file I receive: "the file is courrupted or unreadable". That goes for all the other pendingfiles as well with numbers following the name. Felt so close and now I just feel further away. And the copy I made is apparently blank sigh.. so now I'm screwed??? Or can someone upload theirs? Or they are personal for each computer?

I'm goin crazy here, I can't lose the files on my OS drive.

Btw the OS drive has become E:\ instead of C:\. Is this relevant at all to the problem??

Additionally, when trying to start windows now it doesn't hang up on the fatal error code thingie. Instead it comes up some text about checking C:\ and that one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. It then tries running a ckhdisk but seems to fail:

"autochk can not run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package"

It tells me to try to do system restore from control panel. Unspecified error (766f6c756d62e63 3f1) is also mentioned.

After awhile it continues on to a black screen where only the mouse cursor appears and then nothing more happens...

I'd appreciate any help terribly much!

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:19 PM
  • I did this and it worked but now when I boot to the desktop all I get is a black screen. I can safe boot with a screen. The only time I see nothing is when I go to the desktop. And I can't load the task manager either. Can someone help? Some how my system restore got cut off and I would hate to have to redo my whole system just because of windows!!! I have a laptop.
    Boot into safe mode and login to the account you usually use. Then search for msconfig.exe and open it. Under the Startup tab, click disable all and apply. Then see if youre able to boot into windows normally. If so, you can re-add some of the stuff to msconfig that you normally use.
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:46 PM
  • You're added on messenger!
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:03 PM
    Boot into safe mode and login to the account you usually use. Then search for msconfig.exe and open it. Under the Startup tab, click disable all and apply. Then see if youre able to boot into windows normally. If so, you can re-add some of the stuff to msconfig that you normally use.

Nope no go still a black screen. I noticed in safe mode the banner at the top says sp1 and I think thats part of the problem. I'm running the 64 bit home premium does that make any diff?
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:28 PM
  • I give up. I got past the original problem. Once the pending.xml was fixed the chkdsk went about and it started fixing and recovering orphaned files. When it finished it rebooted but after the starting windows screen there was just a blue screen and reboot. Error message mentioned "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)"

Googling it says something about faulty sp installation can be the cause. So I take it that I'm pretty much screwed now? I don't mind reinstalling everything, however I would wanna save my files before make the format and clean install. I figure I can do the notebook.exe approach and manually copy important files over to my other hdd but is there a faster and more efficient way to do this? I'm not that experienced with computers. I don't have a external cabinet to put this drive into another computer and copy the files.

Any suggestions? So many hours for nothing today :( Still very grateful for all the help I've received here today!

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 11:44 PM
  • DUDE YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!! I spent a day in a half trying to get my laptop back on and in 5 minutes of searching I found this remedy. It took a little time to find the .cdf-ms line but after I removed that and waited 20 mins to restart- it loaded and tried to reinstall SP1 update then it failed but it allowed me back to my files, folders, pics and music. I am copying all of my data to an external HDD right now and I plan on installing a fresh new copy of Win7 in a few days just in case this happens again. You have just saved my life THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guys is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:31 AM
  • ^^thanks so much it actually worked.

It still shows that I need to update this SP1 but I'm afraid to do so.

Is it really necessary? Would Microsoft be able to help me?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:06 AM
  • I can only show my problems.

How can I attach the snapshots or video?

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:50 AM
  • I'd just like to say Tim Hoover & @thiswoot should be commended for their effort here. It's unimaginable that a company as big as Microsoft would allow such a catastrophic service pack hit the market to cause so many problems. That @thiswoot has stuck around this forum to try and help as many as he can is something Microsoft should take notice of because they certainly haven't helped many with these problems like he did.  Thank you again to Tim Hoover & @thiswoot for this fix.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:07 PM
  • this process worked great for us!   thanks!!   Mark
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Thiswoot, you are a saint and a genius. Your fix worked. You saved me and my data and now I'd like to have your babies.
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:10 AM
  • Thanks for the fix, thiswoot! I looked through half a dozen of the 75+ threads on this, most of them with nothing more than some unhelpful "blame the user" solution before I found one where someone had linked to this fix. Worked great, no reinstall needed!
    Friday, March 04, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Hooray! Thank you.
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:31 AM
  • A big THANK YOU from Germany. 

Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:13 PM
  • I'm not sure I have the same problem* because my screen doesn't display the error number (just several "0"s, followed with "...")! I do have the same section in the pending file, however, except that it says:

"(...) PendingRenames\17e628ea97d5cb0121450000d801940e. (...)"

So can anyone tell me if I should try this fix / if it's "reasonably safe" and/or "reasonably likely it'll work"?

* My computer crashed when the power plug got disconnected, then installed some updates when rebooting... and hasn't been able to start Windows (Windows 7, 64-bit) ever since. I tried to "restore to an earlier version" (or something like that), with the only option being before some critical update from March 5 [not sure how that could've been SP1... I *thought* I had installed it on this computer some days ago, but who knows??!]. I didn't check before how many updates the computer was trying to install, but at least now it's 116,948, and there's a fatal error at update operation 282.

Sorry, I'm afraid that's about all I know. Sorry for being so ignorant about computers! :o((

Thanks a million for each and every piece of advice!!!

Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Thanks so much, thiswoot!! ... I'm currently working at logging into Windows Messenger (I keep getting error messages, possibly because of the computer I'm using now). I'll get in touch asap. :o/
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 9:58 PM
  • YEP I GOT IT WORKING!! I DONT KNOW IF MY METHOD IS THE BEST BUT IT WORKS!

This method works without Safe Mode, without backups, without System Restore, without DISM, and without a Windows 7 DVD repair disc.

INSTRUCTIONS:

01. Reboot your computer while it's starting up.

02. When your computer starts up again, choose the option "Launch Startup Repair" 

03. When the Startup repair starts, click cancel.

04. After you click cancel it will show a box. Click "Don't Send" 

05. Click the link "View advanced options for recovery and support"

06. In the new window click Command Prompt at the bottom.

07. In Command Prompt type this and press enter: %windir%\system32\notepad.exe

08. Notepad will open. In notepad go to File-->Open.

09. Change the type of files notepad views from .txt to All Files (see pic)

10. Now in Notepad, go to C:\Windows\winsxs\ (or whichever drive Windows is installed on)

11. In that folder, find pending.xml and make a copy of it

12. Now open the original pending.xml (it will load really slow because the file is huge)

13. Press CNTRL+F and search for the following exactly: 0000000000000000.cdf-ms

14. Delete the following text (yours will be a little different):
    <Checkpoint/>

Your PC might not have all 3 sections of code (<Checkpoint>, <DeleteFile>, <MoveFile>). Just make sure you delete section "Checkpoint" and whatever other sections have "000000000000000.cdf-ms". They will be right next to eachother.

15. Save the file, close notepad, close command prompt, restart your computer.

Once your computer starts up, do a normal startup (it may stall for 5-10 minutes at the "starting windows" screen, but leave it going) and the Service Pack will install some more stuff and restart a few times and then everything should be working! For some people, it reverts everything and cancels the service pack installation. For other people, the service pack installation completes. Either result is fine.

If you have any problems with the steps let me know.

Thank you! It works for me.
    • Proposed as answer by xxxek Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:19 PM
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Hello everybody!

Finally I solved all problems! I would like to share the way of doing that.

1) Thanks thiswoot for his GREAT offer! I did exactly as he wrote and my Windows 7 Ultimate N x64 finally launched.

2) Many of services, menus and options were hurted and did not work. I download from MSDN site the new DVD, Windows 7 Ultimate 7 x64 WITH SP1. You all must download appropriated OSes.

3) I chose option for updating Windows and after day and night ... EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE!!!

Thanks you thiswoot and you guys for the help!

Sunday, March 06, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi everybody...

Just a question....

I have the same problem but a different error code...

My installation of SP1 stalls with error c0190003 trying to update amd64.... something

So, I have an intel processor. Why do I need the amd64 files?

What if, right after download finishes and before restarting, I just delete all the folders named amd64xxxx from WinSxS folder and then restart?

Could that just do all other updates and finish? Would it just skip (file not found) all the deleted updates and continue?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Mars

Monday, March 07, 2011 11:54 AM
  • So, I have an intel processor. Why do I need the amd64 files?

amd64 is the codename of the 64Bit consumer Windows because AMD sold the first 64Bit consumer CPU (Athlon64)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Monday, March 07, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Hmmm.... Thanks Andre... I knew it was kind of a stupid suggestion and that I was missing some important information :p
    Anyway, I seem to have solved the issue quite simply....

I just downloaded and run the System Update Readiness Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=914fbc5b-1fba-4bae-a7c3-d2c47c6fcffc

note: The above is for Win7 64bit

I restarted and reinstalled the SP1 through Windows Update... something peculiar happened...

The first time SP1 appeared in Windows Update it was only about 90-100MB. I clearly remember that...

After the System Update Readiness Tool, the SP1 was reported about 150MB.

Anyway, it installed like a charm. Restarted and done.

Mars

Monday, March 07, 2011 3:50 PM
  • I love you...Your method saved my work when I was flipping out thinking I was screwed. I can't thank you enough!
    Monday, March 07, 2011 4:32 PM
  • You Simply ROCK my friend !!! I normally turn off MS updates because of the terrible track record they have, for producing very poor updates. Going all the way back to Win95.... I like to check every few months and make sure there are no bugs then update. But I installed Win7 64 about three weeks ago worked very well then SP1 was pushed out and during the part where is says " DON'T TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS UPDATE" the system rebooted and thats all she wrote! This fixed it up ! 

Thank you Thank you Thank you! 

PS I've turned off my updates..... 

G. :)

Monday, March 07, 2011 7:44 PM
  • my pending.xml does not have the "000000000000000.cdf-ms" section in it, or any other even similar to that, section.

NOTE: Before finding yor post i had installed windows 7 in the other partition of my harddrive.

In the one partition the Winsxs Directory has "rebbot.xml" and "poqexec.txt" documents

the other partition the Winsxs Directory has nothing but various subdirectories

There is, alhough, a 3rd, small partition (33.6MB) called BOOT where the "pending.xml" file can be found in the Winsxs Directory but as i said no "000000000000000.cdf-ms" in there.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Hi, I did exactly as you recommended and it worked perfectly. I do not know if I shouldtry installing the service pack again, or if I should take some kind of action before proceeding.
    Any suggestions?
    Anyway, thank you!

;-)

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:33 AM
  • I also do not have "000000000000000.cdf-ms" in my pending.xml file. This is the 32bit version. I ran the readiness tool and everything before running the service pack update. I did notice that it did not shutdown properly doing the shutdown process. This is probably what caused the issue.
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Same error here but my machine has been acting terribly just prior to that. Such as "Unleashing mode" errors, crashed within minutes when logged into like WoW with blue screens. After dl SP1 everything pretty much stopped. I can't boot up, I get stucked on the same fatal error 282 out of ( forgot the number).

Now I am trying woot's tutorial but when I opened the notepad, it shows 3 hard drives and my supposly C drive is now on D.

I am so lost I have been trying to fix my machine for days and nothing is working. Repair doesn't and tells me my computer can not be repaired, sp1 deleted my restore points and when i tried to make an restore to the 24th of this month, that is when all stopped and I get hung up on the fatal error code.

I, as well don't have a backup disk, well I have one from last july but not sure how to work it. And dl an recovery disk, same thing nothing works. I don't know how to reinstall W7 since I don't have a disk.

What can I do? Any help would be so appreciated.

Same for me. Didn't work!

I can't access c: anymore (it will format). I just can access x: which is called Boot.
    There I can find a 'pending.xml' but it doesn't contain any mentioned strings...

Any chance to rescue my files??? I just need to rescue my data and then I can reinstall windows...

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Anyone with problems can add me on Windows Messenger and I will help

thiswoot@hotmail.com

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:19 PM
  •        I also had many of the above problems with Sp1, however I don't use Windows Restore, but use Roxio Back on Track.  I was able to restore back before I unsuccessfully installed SP1.  Should I wait until Microsoft fixes this (maybe never),  or do as one did and buy or download Win7 with with SP1 already installed?  Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by TexasTrucker Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by TexasTrucker Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:55 AM
  •        I also had many of the above problems with Sp1, however I don't use Windows Restore, but use Roxio Back on Track.  I was able to restore back before I unsuccessfully installed SP1.  Should I wait until Microsoft fixes this (maybe never),  or do as one did and buy or download Win7 with with SP1 already installed?  Thanks.

hi ,

from the moment you use roxio or any other third party software the risks of malfunctions are greater , ...

check as to why it did not work , did you follow instructions ? updated and patched before the SP ? firewall or other security software (and hardware) like norton , mcafee off ? full admin rights ?

it would be a waste of time to rebuy win seven just for that reason , ... if you have the money , go for the ultimate version if you can use it

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 4:17 AM
  • Thanks WOOT your the man worked first time ...  Bloody Microsoft
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:26 AM
  • I expect you're getting used to being congratulated, thiswoot, but your fix worked for me too! Many thanks.

Incidentally, I'd also like to shake warmly by the throat, the person who gave the 'go-ahead' at Microsoft to push out this service pack. Judging by the volume of people having problems, it's clearly defective and ought to be withdrawn.

Al
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 9:11 AM
  • works. excellent. 

Any sign of Microsoft to fix this, when is it safe to turn  Windows Updates back on?

http://learnerps-dotnet.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 12:27 PM
  • This issue just occurred on my Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit PC this morning. I was about to peform a recovery when I read this article. Upon making the changes thiswoot detailed and rebooting, my PC performed a service pack roll back and booted right up. Very nice instructions thiswoot.

Pro
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Windows update ran last night on my PC and SP1 was installed. It crashed with exactly the same error. I was certain that I was going to have to reformat but I tried this and it worked like a charm. It rolled back my SP1 install which I will now wait for a while before I try it again. Thanks guys. This was outstanding. You just have to be very careful in following the instructions.but they were very clear. I was lucky that my situation was exactly like the one in the post.
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:02 PM
  • thiswoot's solution worked for me.  It ended up reverting the changes.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Awesome you rock.  I am grateful to you for your detailed explanation and screenshots.
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:56 PM
  • This also worked for me. Thanks!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 6:09 PM
  • OMG! thiswoot! You are a god! My battery ran out while my Windows update was configuring and I had a fatal error.  I work from my laptop and I thought I was screwed, but I followed ur steps and it worked like a charm! Ur a life saver!!! xxx
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi have the same problem and have been trying to do the fix however, when I try to go to View Advanced Options, a login screen appears asking for my user name and password.  When I enter the user name and password it doesn't recognize them and I cant get to the command prompt.  I have also tried going in through Safe Mode and it stalls.  What can I do to get around this??
    Thanks in advance
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Hi, I have the same problem but here is an additional one.  When I access the start-up repair screen and then chose View Advanced Options, first a drop down asking for the language / keyboard appears so of course I choose English... the a login screen appears with my user name already on there (I can't change it) and it wants my password.  When that is entered it gives me a message saying the user name or password is wrong and I know it isn't.  Does anyone have any suggestions to get around this?

Thanks in advance!!
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Hi, I have the same problem but here is an additional one.  When I access the start-up repair screen and then chose View Advanced Options, first a drop down asking for the language / keyboard appears so of course I choose English... the a login screen appears with my user name already on there (I can't change it) and it wants my password.  When that is entered it gives me a message saying the user name or password is wrong and I know it isn't.  Does anyone have any suggestions to get around this?

Thanks in advance!!

You are being prompted for the credentials for your local account. You may be on a domain, if so those credentials won't work. Use the username and password that was setup on the PC originally.

Pro
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:31 PM

Thanks in advance!!

If you know how to take your hard drive out of your computer, you can plug your hard drive into a different computer and edit pending.xml from there (starting from step 8). Also if you have a boot disc, you can boot into Linux or something and edit the file from there. If you need help message me on Windows Live - thiswoot@hotmail.com

First try to do what ProSeriesNewb said above. If that doesnt work, do what I said.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Worked perfectly. You saved my day!!!!
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Another satisfied customer :)

I tried a few other methods before I found your post, followed your instructions and got the machine back up.  The one issue I have is that after rebooting, it appeared to be installing SP1, then it came up with an error: Failure Configuring Service Pack - Reverting Changes.  It came back up to a login prompt and I logged in OK however it shows that SP1 is installed.  I think things may not be exactly right, though at least we can login and use the computer.  I may just reimage with our new Win7SP1 image to be safe.

Thanks...

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Thiswoot, you just saved the day. At least half a dozen PCs had this problem at our site, and your solution worked for all of them. Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Crisis Averted Thanks To You!
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:00 PM
  • I don't have string "0000000000000000.cdf-ms" in my file, nor the alternative pending.******* file.

What should I do? I tried "Last Known Good," but it stops at 'Starting Windows.' What lines can I delete?

• Proposed as answer by bobvu Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bobvu Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by bobvu Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:40 PM
  • 0xC0000034
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2011/03/09/error-0xc0000034-during-service-pack-1-installations-for-windows-7-and-windows-2008-r2.aspx
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:18 PM
  • 0xC0000034
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2011/03/09/error-0xc0000034-during-service-pack-1-installations-for-windows-7-and-windows-2008-r2.aspx
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thanks a lot .. I performed this, without the second step (it said not found). I rebooted (circular reboots without loading any Windows 7 icon). Did it again, it found it this time, and now it's doing circular reboots (no icon).

Any other options? I cannot believe this happened.

It's a bluescreen, config_initialization_failed. The Windows drive seems to be moved to drive D. Could that have something to do with it?

My install is totally screwed ...

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:45 PM
  • 0xC0000034

Thanks a lot .. I performed this, without the second step (it said not found). I rebooted (circular reboots without loading any Windows 7 icon). Did it again, it found it this time, and now it's doing circular reboots (no icon).

Any other options? I cannot believe this happened.

It's a bluescreen, config_initialization_failed. The Windows drive seems to be moved to drive D. Could that have something to do with it?

My install is totally screwed ...

Message me on Windows Messenger and I will try to help - thiswoot@hotmail.com
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Hey, It really works!

Thank you!!

You maked my day!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:44 AM
  • HI,

I tried ProSeries NewB and your suggestions.  I tried a boot disk but my 'puter wouldn't load it even after chainging the bios boot order.  I now have the hard drive in another computer.  When I try to change the win.sxs file in notepad, I can't save the changes.  I get a message saying the file name or path do not exist and the the SaveAs dialogue menu opens with the path open to the file.  When I try to save it again I get the same message.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't want to have to wipe the drive clean and reload everything....

Thanks again in advance!!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:01 AM
  • HI,

I tried ProSeries NewB and your suggestions.  I tried a boot disk but my 'puter wouldn't load it even after chainging the bios boot order.  I now have the hard drive in another computer.  When I try to change the win.sxs file in notepad, I can't save the changes.  I get a message saying the file name or path do not exist and the the SaveAs dialogue menu opens with the path open to the file.  When I try to save it again I get the same message.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't want to have to wipe the drive clean and reload everything....

Thanks again in advance!!

Try making a copy of pending.xml from your old hard drive to your desktop on your working computer. Then edit it from your desktop (with notepad) and save it. Then rename pending.xml on broken computer hard drive to pending2.xml and move the pending.xml from on your desktop to that folder.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:56 AM
  • I still get the C00009a issue,,how do i turn into into a c0000034 issue so that i enjoy everyone's company here.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:11 AM
  • HI I have tried that now as well.  I can copy the file to the computer but reload the changed file.  I can't change the file name It won't allow me to make changes... says I don't have the necessary permissions.  I checked security and the  only user listed with the permissions to alter the file is "Trusted Installer".   I have tried to modify permissions for adminstrators and even the system and it won't allow a change.  What can I try next?

Thanks again :-)
    • Edited by ffiire Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:58 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:46 AM
  • HI I have tried that now as well.  It won't allow me to make changes... says I don't have the necessary permissions.  I checked security and the  only user listed with the permissions to alter the file is "Trusted Installer".   I have tried to modify permissions for adminstrators and even the system and it won't allow a change.  What can I try next?

Thanks again :-)

Try this:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how-to-delete-files-protected-by-trustedinstaller/

Except dont delete it obviously

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:57 AM
  • Thanks that worked!! And then the file edit worked as well.  The computer is back up and running!  Thanks for all your help.  I really appreciate it

Fred

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Perfect, thank you very much.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:20 AM
  • I had FOUR customers calling in today with exactely that problem since SP1 got rolled out with auto update.

Thank you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/608ecca8-b815-4ff6-8f3c-a828518434a7/

did not work...

To Microsoft: Cannot keep up with the quality level you set with Win7 ?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:22 AM
  • thiswoot, you are a champ!

Had the error on 4 out of 5 new identical machines this morning.... the one that worked with the sp1 update, guess what it had a newer Bios...

the other 4 fixed with the suggestion of the pending.xml alteration - updating the bios of these as we speak...

UPDATE: updated the latest bios and it now installs sp1 flawlessly. So thats something else to check guys...

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Sehr guter Beitrag! Hat bestens funktioniert!
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Works !

I have about 10pc's in my company. They all failed this morning after the service pack 1 for windows 7 x64 systems.

I wonder on a global scale what financial damage this service pack caused. Isn't a service pack made for fixing issues instead of creating new ones.

So now what? Tomorrow windows installs it again and the company stops working again? Is there a fixed update in the making???

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:00 AM
  • hi tim

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:02 AM
  • I applied sp1 trough wsus.. 2 systems failed this morning.

The fix won't work , I can't find the 000000000string in the file...anyone another working solution?

thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Today, ALL PCs with Windows 7 Pro 64bit gives the C0000034 error.

I have done the modify at the pending.xml, removing the 0000000000000000.cdf-ms string.

The PCs now works but the SP1 has failed at the 35%.

If i try to reinstall the SP1 it doesn't work because the last SP1 is frozen inside the OS.

It wants to reboot to complete the first SP1 installation, but this doesn't happens.

So : the first SP1 isn't complete and it wants to reboot the OS (but nothing changes), the second SP1 can't be installed because the first SP1 can't be uninstalled.

I think this is a big big big problem...

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hi,

We have sucessfully used this fix,

We have Experience the only pcs here, thats affected is 64bit - where the sp1 is automaticly installed.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Try this it

02. When your computer starts up again, choose the option "Launch Startup Repair" 

--> PIC: http://notebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Recov-1.jpg

--> PIC: http://i52.tinypic.com/xgjriw.png

--> PIC: http://i51.tinypic.com/50imu8.png

--> PIC: http://i51.tinypic.com/35nd74z.png

10. Now in Notepad, go to C:\Windows\winsxs\ (or whichever drive Windows is installed on)

12. Now open the original pending.xml (it will load really slow because the file is huge)

<Checkpoint/>

--> PIC: http://i54.tinypic.com/adzpzp.png

Your PC might not have all 3 sections of code (<Checkpoint>, <DeleteFile>, <MoveFile>). Just make sure you delete section "Checkpoint" and whatever other sections have "000000000000000.cdf-ms". They will be right next to eachother.

Once your computer starts up, do a normal startup (it may stall for 5-10 minutes at the "starting windows" screen, but leave it going) and the Service Pack will install some more stuff and restart a few times and then everything should be working! For some people, it reverts everything and cancels the service pack installation. For other people, the service pack installation completes. Either result is fine.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Thanx for this!!!!!!!

i had 4 computers chrash out on this update (incl. the bosses)

you saved me a shitload of abuse and time and i REALLY want to thank you, so....THANX!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:42 AM

• The fix works, or better it permit to complete the OS boot.

The problem is that the SP1 installation is like frozen, because it hangs at 35%. And this are the results :

- the OS thinks to be a W7 SP1

- the Windows Update says that the PC needs to reboot to complete the SP1 installation (but it will be never completed)

- in Installed Applications the SP1 doesn't appears

If you try to reinstall the SP1 this isn't possible because the first installation wasn't complete.

Now i'm looking to a solution for this : uninstall the broken SP1 and reinstall it launched by the file.

And i've seen another thing : if you install the SP1 inside the OS (with Windows Update) and ONLY THEN you reboot the PC, is all OK.

But if you shutdown the PC and (before the PC has stopped) there is the installation of SP1... At the start probably you will have the problem.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:57 AM
  • This worked for me on 3 machines, all machins rolled back and did not go on to finish the sp1 install.

2 w7 ultimates 64bit and 1 w7 ultimate 32bit

nice work you clearly worked late on this.

I wonder if MS will "recall" the update from their global update service CDN, until this is resolved. I for one have denied the sp1 update on my update services server until im happy this has been resolved.

Thanks again, much appreciated, im sure you will end up helping millions with this post.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

Just to thank you for the solution!!!

We got 3 workstations that crashed on the sp1, got them working in 3 hours after the crash.

Thank,

Maarten

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:15 AM
  • A lot of people today !
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Hi thiswoot - you are indeed a genius hero who has saved 4 machines in my office alone. Please can you advise how I should now proceed to install the update with SP1 for Win7 which failed in each case on our machines?

Microsoft Windoze 7 - the new Vista?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Hi thiswoot,

Just tried your above instructions to no avail.

The machine I'm working on has two pending files.

One is dated a few months ago and the other is current.

The current one only had mention of the 00000000... file in a string of text like you suggested.  Tried deleting all as per your instructions still getting fatal error.

Also tried doing this with the older pending file but this one had a lot of references to the 00000000... string of text !? I tried deleting the string that looked relevant from the older file and still no luck.

My error is:

fatal error c0000034 applying update operations 282 of 118534 (_00000...)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:30 AM
  • a noi è successo su 7 workstation Hp, e su tutte ha funzionato.

mentre non ci sono stati problemi sui pc ( hp) e nemmeno sui notebook ( tutti con windows 7 pro 64 bit 

Grazie ancora

Galliano

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:43 AM
  • I got the same error on Windows 7 Enterprise x64 when applying update 291. I used the steps outlined by thiswoot and it worked. Cheers.

The only problem I had was getting the command prompt as it was asking me for the ASPNET account password just after step 5 in thiswoot's guide. A way around this is to boot off your Windows 7 installation disc and at the screen where it asks you to pick a language/time/keyboard, press Shift+F10 for a command prompt. What is usually my C: drive was mapped to D: but other than that, I could complete the rest of the steps.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:48 AM

Thank you in advance

This is the mine !

0x80070057

Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:02 PM
  • a noi è successo su 7 workstation Hp, e su tutte ha funzionato.

mentre non ci sono stati problemi sui pc ( hp) e nemmeno sui notebook ( tutti con windows 7 pro 64 bit 

Grazie ancora

Galliano

Però adesso come sei messo con l' SP1 sulle 7 workstation ?
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:15 PM
  • stasera, prima di spegnerle le clono .... non mi va di avere sorprese domattina perchè l'ufficio tecnico non si deve fermare. ( e qui stamattina erano tutti fermi)

poi valuterò il da farsi da come reagiscono al riavvio.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:16 PM
  • You made my day thiswoot! Many thanks to you!

We received in our small company via WSUS the SP1 yesterday for our Win7 x64 Systems and this morning 4 from 5 PC's crashed with the fatal error C0000034!
    After google and finding this posting from thiswoot we can now work again.

But, how is it with reinstalling the SP1? I tried it, but Windows said there are missing some system components...
    And i check google once again but didn't find anything.. The problem is, Windows said SP1 is installed, but it isn't!!
    Any idea or help for this?

Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Thank you very much!
    Work perfectly for me and saved me a lot of time and troubles!

Systems were Win 7 Ult 64bit, Error was "Schwerer Fehler "C0000034" beim Updatevorgang 291 von 142731 (_00000...)" (german version)
    SP1 was installed to the clients via WSUS on a SBS 2008

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:15 PM
  • You made my day thiswoot! Many thanks to you!

We received in our small company via WSUS the SP1 yesterday for our Win7 x64 Systems and this morning 4 from 5 PC's crashed with the fatal error C0000034!
    After google and finding this posting from thiswoot we can now work again.

But, how is it with reinstalling the SP1? I tried it, but Windows said there are missing some system components...
    And i check google once again but didn't find anything.. The problem is, Windows said SP1 is installed, but it isn't!!
    Any idea or help for this?

Thanks

If you try to reinstall the first problem is about a driver folder ATI (even if you have Nvidia card) that is missing in Windows\System32\Driverstore\Filerepository.

I have put inside the missing driver folder, but the next error step is that it can't uninstall the frozen SP1.

It's my same situation, i have 15 PC with this "problem" now.

As you can see on my upper posts.

Bye

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:33 PM

This method works without Safe Mode, without backups, without System Restore, without DISM, and without a Windows 7 DVD repair disc.

INSTRUCTIONS:

<Checkpoint/>

If you have any problems with the steps let me know.

ITS SOLVED MY PROBLEM

Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:58 PM

This is amazing, thank you so much!! 2 out of 3 of our computers at work failed after installing SP1. After a morning of getting nowhere I found and tried your solution and it worked perfectly! This has saved me so much time and effort! 
    Got a few more computers to update still but not half as worried now I have this on hand! 
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Thank you for your hard work in this matter.  I am getting the same error message at boot up, but when I follow ThisWoot's instructions, I cannot find the 0000000000 file in my pending.xml.  I've got three PCs down right now.  Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Not sure what happened to my previous post, but I am still having issues with this on three different PCs.  But when I follow ThisWoot's well documented fix, I do not find the cdf-ms line to remove.  I'm at a stopping point right now.  Everywhere on Google points to this page.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:45 PM
  • It worked for me, Windows 7 Professional 64bit!

Thanks!

F.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:59 PM
  • I tried the method detailed by thiswoot (thank you for the investigative work) but when I bring up the Command Prompt and Notepad, I don't have an accessible c:\ drive.  It looks like the computer refers to the c:\ drive as the x:\ drive (a.k.a. "Boot") and the pending.xml file in the x:\Windows\winsxs\ folder does not contain any of the script that is listed to look for (no "<DeleteFile>" or "<Checkpoint>" references at all).  When I use Notepad to open the c:\ drive, the only thing that shows up is the SYSTEM file (no folders or other files of any type).  Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?  Thanx.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:00 PM
  • If you have an EFI based PC, probably you will find the pending.xml in D:\windows\winsxs

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:06 PM
  • @thiswoot -

that worked a charm - thanks!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:19 PM
  • HUGE Thank You goes to ThisWoot for his time in finding the resolution to this problem and to dickfrey for pointing me to the correct winsxs folder.  I was trying to edit the pending.xml file in X:\Windows\winsxs not D:\Windows\winsxs.  Did not know there were too.  This solutions has saved my butt.

Eric

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:37 PM
  • We are in the same boat. After doing what thiswoot suggested we were able to at least get Windows 7 back up and running, but even though the Service Pack failed, Windows thinks it is installed.  I manually loaded the update on some test machines in the office a few weeks ago and had no problems.  I thought it was safe to roll it out with WSUS so I did and about half of my machines had fatal errored this morning....

I would highly advise people to not push this out with their WSUS server yet until there is more information out there on why this is happening.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hello Thiswoot

It worked for me too. What does interesst me is how do you find the solution? Because I spent a lot of time to check many, many log files but did not find any hints on this solution. Thanks again.

Martin

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Thanks you for posting this with great detail. This helped me get all our computers up and going this morning!!!
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:57 PM
  • First... THANKS!

My only goal was to get the machines back up, 75% of my windows 7 laptops failed to install sp1 and 50% were rendered useless with the fatal error. I ended up just copying the pending.xml from x:\windows\winsxs to %systemdrive%\windows\winsxs. After a couple of automatic reboots, the service pack fails and rolls back. So users were able to get back to work.

Does anyone know the link to tell Microsoft the disaster this SP is doing? It's all I have been doing this morning. I think, it only affects 64bit-Laptops. Other than that, I cannot find other commonalities among the affected stations. Any clues?

• Edited by MaPaMa Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:13 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:58 PM
  • I also have seen that the computers that I have done this fix to they show as SP1 being installed but it actually reverted the changes when it booted up after changing the pending file.  Does anyone know how to get sp1 installed properly after this happens.  I would say about 50% of my machines had this failure.

Also to note.  All of the machines had system restore enabled however, when I tried to do a restore there were no restore points.  When I got them booted back up it also showed no restore points.  Why would it delete them?  Makes no sense to me!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:09 PM
  • We are having this same problem on the computers in our organization that are encrypted using Truecrypt.  The fix works fine for computers that are not using truecrypt.  The D: drive shows up, but "Needs to be formated."  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Sam

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:14 PM
  • this worked for me, THANK YOU SO MUCH

any chance you might be willing to share with us the method you used to find the culprit? at least in brief.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Hi I followed your instructions but after restarting the pc it would go into the recovery mode. Then there are two options:

1. launch startup repair

2. start windows normally

However every time I choose the second option, it would revert back to this screen again (very quickly, only takes a few seconds). I have tried this many times but it always ends up like this, so is there any other advice that you could give me? 

Many thanks!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:31 PM
  • We are in the same boat. After doing what thiswoot suggested we were able to at least get Windows 7 back up and running, but even though the Service Pack failed, Windows thinks it is installed.  I manually loaded the update on some test machines in the office a few weeks ago and had no problems.  I thought it was safe to roll it out with WSUS so I did and about half of my machines had fatal errored this morning....

I would highly advise people to not push this out with their WSUS server yet until there is more information out there on why this is happening.

IMHO the problem is born when the SP1 is installed with a shutdown. All the PCs that yesterday was turned off with the installation of the SP1, today alla give the problem. The PCs where the SP1 was installed inside W7 (without shutdown) are all OK. Probably the SP1 wants A REBOOT NOT A SHUTDOWN. So this is my experience.
    • Proposed as answer by Frankvl777 Friday, March 11, 2011 10:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Frankvl777 Friday, March 11, 2011 10:46 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:39 PM
  • @Sam from Canada

I think that you can only use a live cd with truecrypt inside.

The problem is that your hard drive is now encrypted...

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:42 PM
  • @seaaa

You need a boot disk for W7 x64.

If you have another PC W7 x64 that is running, go to the message center and then create a boot disk.

Is something similar, now i don't remember because i'm using an XP.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:44 PM

IMHO the problem is born when the SP1 is installed with a shutdown. All the PCs that yesterday was turned off with the installation of the SP1, today alla give the problem. The PCs where the SP1 was installed inside W7 (without shutdown) are all OK. Probably the SP1 wants A REBOOT NOT A SHUTDOWN. So this is my experience.

In our situation, that isn't the case.  Our users had their computer on and logged out so the update would be pushed through.  They came in this morning to the fatal error screen.  What sucks is that I can't find a solution that actually lets me load the Service Pack on the failed machines after I use thiswhoot's method. 
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Thanks so much to THISWOOT!!!  Your solution worked on multiple Windows 7 computers with this MS Update of SP1 problem.

We are able to boot back up but SP1 failed to load.  Has anyone tried downloading the file directly from MS instead of through MS Updates?

MICROSOFT:  Take a look at this forum and look at all the wasted time and money that was caused not to mention those people that have not responded.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Truecrypt - We were able to boot into a Ubuntu Live CD, install Truecrypt, open the Volume, and then edit the pending.xml file.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Thanks so much to THISWOOT!!!  Your solution worked on multiple Windows 7 computers with this MS Update of SP1 problem.

We are able to boot back up but SP1 failed to load.  Has anyone tried downloading the file directly from MS instead of through MS Updates?

MICROSOFT:  Take a look at this forum and look at all the wasted time and money that was caused not to mention those people that have not responded.

Yes, it will fail to install.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:22 PM
  • THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:47 PM
  • /agree

Beer for you!

however, you don't mention whether you should try to reinstall this update or not.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:48 PM
  • This worked for me.  Had 5 machines that this happened to.  Four were the exact same model and configuration...one was a little older.  The commonality was that all five users used "SHUTDOWN" to install the update.

I had already messed up one PC before I found your post.  I installed another instance of Win 7 64-bit...now I need to figure out how to undo that and revert to the old installation.

Thanks Thiswoot

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:24 PM
  • This solution worked for me. A big THANK YOU to thiswoot for posting and updating this!!
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Thank You!

I had this hit my school lab of 35 computers. Took an hour to fix them all, but the alternative was not that great.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:11 PM
  • After trying various other solutions that didn't work, this one did.  I appreciated the screenshots also.  Many thanks.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Have we heard what is causing this problem? Microsoft, what's going on; what is the solution?

Sam

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:28 PM
  • This only seems to affect some computers an not others. I had 7 in domain network that had this error occur on 3/9 the other 3 had no issue installing the SP1 the following day. Not sure what is triggering this? I ave 4 more workstations at other locations I instructed not to install unitl I could get to them. Called Microsoft Support the tech I got did not seem to be aware of this issue last night (3/9/11)!!! He also told me there is no way to intercept the downloaded update files from installing that I had to let them install. Fortunately the last 3 machines I had installed ok the rest with exception to one did not with the above fix.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Thank you for the solution, it worked on all computers with the problem.

I'm wondering in what state the installation is afterwards. It displays Windows 7 SP1 but I'm not sure if it's installed correctly. Reinstalling the service pack doesn't work, it says that components are missing.

What I'm also not sure about if this issue is somehow related to the WSUS server. All other computers on that I installed SP1 manually or through Windows Update didn't have any problems. Only the clients that get their updates through a WSUS server had these issues. We had these problems at a number of customers site all with their own WSUS server so I think it's not the installation of the server itself, but maybe the way it distributes the update to the client.

Alex

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:49 PM
  • The commonality was that all five users used "SHUTDOWN" to install the update.
    That was my experience also. Users who clicked the icon in the notification area and installed from the Windows Update control panel applet had no problem, while users who clicked "install updates and shut down" at close of business yesterday got the fatal error this morning. The fix from "Thiswoot" got us back in business, but I now have a bunch of workstations with questionable installs of SP1.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Same issue at one of my customer sites. They have 3 identicle HP Windows 7 64 Bit systems. They did the shutdown update, 2 worked fine 1 got this error. The fix above worked. Thank You!

1) Is Microsoft aware of this issue, by this thread it seems it's a serious issue that's affecting quite a few systems.

2) By changing the pending.xml what are the ramifications? What happenes if we reinstall SP1? has anyone tried yet to reinstall?

Scott Anthony
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Firstly, a big THANK YOU!

A quick note that I couldn't get to the "advanced options for recovery and support" because it wouldn't accept my password (??) 

I used this:;  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-from-a-Windows-7-installation-disc-or-USB-flash-drive and followed your instructions from #6 onwards. 

All is now well.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:06 PM
  • For those impacted on this thread can you find these logfiles on your system and send them via skydrive to e_bitzie-at-hotmail.com?

1.            Registry hives. COMPONENTS, and SYSTEM

a.            C:\Windows\System32\Config\

2.            CBS log directory

a.            C:\Windows\Logs\CBS

3.            Sessions.xml

a.            C:\Windows\Servicing

4.            Poqexec.log

a.            C:\Windows\WinSXS

5.            Pending.xml

a.            C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

6.            “Dir /s /b” Directory listing of c:\windows\winsxs

Please this is a high priority at Microsoft and they need to see these log files.

And ping me at susan-at-msmvps.com

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:30 PM

I ran into the Same Situation.

Does anyone know of a Fix to PREVENT this error from occurring before installing Win7 SP1. I am going to try installing the update manually on some workstations.

Additionally, I am concerned that this update is also for Windows Server 2008 R2. Does anyone know if it will break Windows Server 2008 R2?

I am in agreement with many on this posting, in hopes that Microsoft has taken witness of the problems this error has created, and hope that Testing Analyst are used to improve and augment hotfixes and service packs BEFORE being released to the public.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:55 PM