none
how to get my speakers working again with Windows Media Player

Question

• My speakers were working fine, but now they're not.  Here is the error message I get: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." How to get the sound working again?  I use Windows XP. Thank you for any ideas.
    Monday, April 29, 2013 4:12 PM

Answers

• First try re-installing the driver software for the sound card/audio chip.

If that doesn't cure the problem, then uninstall the driver software, reboot the computer, and install the driver software again.

If neither of the above fixes the problem, then your sound card/audio chip may have died.  If it's a plug-in card you can try it in another computer.  If it's an audio chip on the motherboard you should be able to disable it in the BIOS and install a third party sound card.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, April 29, 2013 4:28 PM

All replies

• First try re-installing the driver software for the sound card/audio chip.

If that doesn't cure the problem, then uninstall the driver software, reboot the computer, and install the driver software again.

If neither of the above fixes the problem, then your sound card/audio chip may have died.  If it's a plug-in card you can try it in another computer.  If it's an audio chip on the motherboard you should be able to disable it in the BIOS and install a third party sound card.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, April 29, 2013 4:28 PM
  • ok going to look for what is a softwere driver and an audio chip and whic driver fits the one i might find.........
    Monday, February 03, 2014 4:53 AM