none
Cannot connect to the internet using windows 7

Question

• Hi
    I was using XP as an operating system and decided to give the windows 7 a try. Previously on XP I had no problems connecting to the internet but now
    when I start Windows 7 up and click on the internet connection it says I have no network cable plugged in. I am using a netgear router to connect and
    just to be on the safe side I have replaced the network cable but still the same error. I have tried dissable and enable the network adaptor but still no connection. I have also tried
    to find a wireless connection but it says none available I know there is one because this laptop I am using now is using one. Any ideas to solve this would be
    a great help.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:49 PM

Answers

• Try uninstalling the NIC and/or Wireless adapter via Device Manager.  Shut the system down and unplug it. Let it sit dead for 2~3 minutes.  Plug back in and start the system back up again.  NIC and/or Wireless adapter will be reinstalled by the time you log in and reach the Desktop.

Also try:  Command Prompt:ipconfig /release - wait a few seconds - Command Prompt:ipconfig /renew.  You may even try:ipconfig /release - shutdown and unplug system - again let sit dead for 2~3 minutes.  Plug back in, start up system, once you're logged in and at the Desktop - Command Prompt:ipconfig /renew.

HTH
    GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansign Speakers...
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:39 AM

All replies

• you should make sure you've got the latest nic/wnic drivers installed, but clearly that's an issue for you from your booted win7rc opsys.

from your xp opsys, you could visit: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/ using internet explorer and search for an appropriate driver pack(s) for your hardware.

hth.

* If you feel your question was answered helpfully, please mark the reply as the Answer, so others can find it.
    * If you are helped by an answer to another member's q-n-a, please vote for the thread as Helpful.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:57 PM
  • have you had any further luck with your connectivity issue?

* If you feel your question was answered helpfully, please mark the reply as the Answer, so others can find it.
    * If you are helped by an answer to another member's q-n-a, please vote for the thread as Helpful.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 2:45 AM
  • I take it you are using a wireless connection to connect to the internet, click on the wireless icon in the bottom corner, then "open network and sharing center" at the top of this window you should see a connection showing a line from your computer to the internet, if you do not then you do not have a network connection or your computer is not connecting to the internet through your router.
    If this is the case connect your computer to your router using a wired connection, check to see if you can connect to the internet, if you can with the same connection active go to your device manager, double click on your wireless connection and update driver.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Try uninstalling the NIC and/or Wireless adapter via Device Manager.  Shut the system down and unplug it. Let it sit dead for 2~3 minutes.  Plug back in and start the system back up again.  NIC and/or Wireless adapter will be reinstalled by the time you log in and reach the Desktop.

Also try:  Command Prompt:ipconfig /release - wait a few seconds - Command Prompt:ipconfig /renew.  You may even try:ipconfig /release - shutdown and unplug system - again let sit dead for 2~3 minutes.  Plug back in, start up system, once you're logged in and at the Desktop - Command Prompt:ipconfig /renew.

HTH
    GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansign Speakers...
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:39 AM
  • problem is that are a non-trivial number of wnics that don't even get recognized yet, so no auto-driver-install happens. it's just that the full driver compliment isn't included yet. i'm confident that it'll be better once the rtm is out, but for 7000 and now 7100, many folks need to get and install a driver pack, either through wu or from the vendor support website.

cheers.

Friday, May 29, 2009 5:46 AM
  • I have a related issue tha is very similar.... Network and Sharing center is reporting that I DO NOT have a connection to either the LAN or WAN thru IPV4 and IPV6 but that is not the case as I am using that very same connection to browse the internent in IE8 right now....

Reloading hardware drivers, reloading software, changing networking settings all do not improve the situation.

Annoyingly this worked until the 4th Windows Update session competed and then the problems started to show up.

Any ideas?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:35 PM
  • wow for three days now trying to get windows 7 to connect to the internet.I bought the family pack for 3 computers but damn I am not putting this on 3 computers way too many bugs. first I could not enter product key kept saying invalid key please re enter after installing 4 times finally it took the key.now the internet thing.been going on for 2 days.I still got to put my programs on this I should of stayed with my xp pro and puppy Linux dual booting.Everybody was talking about how great it was so I fell for the hype and wasted my money on windows 7. don't waste your money on windows 7 stay with xp it will be good till 2014 by then windows 7 should be well gone. I reformatting and going back to dual booting xp and linux. putting this family pack on craigslist or ebay for 100 bucks.

PS windows 7 is really bad I am having flashbacks from when I had windows me
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Hi burts bug

I think you should leave windows 7 alone and wait till the full windows 8 comes out

Regards,

Matthew

matthewhector

• Proposed as answer by Matthew 1804 Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:20 PM
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:20 PM