none
SigmaTel STAC 975X AC97 Sound driver for DELL Laptops

Question

• After doing some digging, I finally  found the sound driver that works on my DELL Latitude D610. 

It also works on:

Inspiron- 6000, 93000, 9200, 2200, 1200, XPS Gen 2

Latitude- D610, D810, 110L, D510, D410, X1

Precision- M20, M70

Computers- MXG051

This should help other Dell users as well.  God help us all.......

Here's the link:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/audio/R99254.EXE

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Where can I find this driver?
    Friday, June 16, 2006 3:45 PM
  • I reposted the link in my post.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 4:27 PM
  • Thanks Joe, seem to be working great, all except the on screen volume controls, related? - don't know :)
    Friday, June 16, 2006 5:39 PM
  • The driver mentioned above is just the Windows XP driver provided by Dell, which can be installed on Vista.

When I installed Vista Beta 2, and Beta Build 5456, both times Vista failed to find the audio driver automatically during installation.

However Windows Update provided a driver called "SigmaTel C-Major Audio", which has a newer version than the Dell XP one.

Although, using the Windows Update driver is fine with the onboard laptop speakers (Latitude D610), but no output is possible through the headphone jack  (it reports that it is mono, but is stereo and works fine under XP).

Does anyone know how to resolve this output issue?   (Note : The XP driver causes it to report no jack information)

Driver details below.

Windows Update Vista driver

SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Driver Provider = SigmaTel
    Driver Date = 04/08/2005
    Driver Version = 5.10.4643.0

Details

drmk.sys = Microsoft = 6.0.5456.5
    portcls.sys = Microsoft = 6.0.5456.5
    STAC97.sys = SigmaTel = 5.10.4643.0  (nd234 cp1)
    staco.dll = SigmaTel 1.0.4643.0  (nd234 cp1 built by WinDDK)

Dell Windows XP driver (on Vista)

Driver Provider = SigmaTel
    Driver Date = 11/03/2005
    Driver version = 5.10.0.4255

drmk.sys = Microsoft = 6.0.5456.5
    portcls.sys = Microsoft = 6.0.5456.5
    STAC97.sys = SigmaTel = 5.10.4255.0
    stac97co.dll = N/A = 1.0.0.1
    STAC97.cpl = SigmaTel = 1.0.0.12   (this control panel item now causes a registry key error)

• Proposed as answer by rayan1999 Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:07 PM
    Monday, July 24, 2006 4:39 AM
  • does this work in windows vista beta 2 build 5384? (Dell Latitude D610)

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:24 PM
  • Hey bud, thanks much for that tip. but every time i use the update, no update for my audio :( so idk how to download it and if tried searchin for it all over. any ideas man? let me kno. thanks.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:42 PM
  • Any word on this? Any hacks\solutions? Is there a MS bug on this?

And no - it does not work on the latest build..

Friday, September 01, 2006 6:54 PM
  • I just installed the RC1 build 5600 of Vista and it automatically installed the driver for the AC97! Awesome right? Not. My headphone jack wasn't working. I downloaded the above driver and Vista found it, installed it and now everything works! Thanks for the help.
    Friday, September 08, 2006 1:53 AM
  •  Dragonomous wrote:
    I just installed the RC1 build 5600 of Vista and it automatically installed the driver for the AC97! Awesome right? Not. My headphone jack wasn't working. I downloaded the above driver and Vista found it, installed it and now everything works! Thanks for the help.

Ok, i tried this too. I have a Dell Inspiron 9200. This driver didn't fix my headphone jack problem, and also I have no control over the subwoofer.

If anyone knows how to fix my problem, please reply. Cheers!

Saturday, September 16, 2006 2:09 PM
  •  Dragonomous wrote:
    I just installed the RC1 build 5600 of Vista and it automatically installed the driver for the AC97! Awesome right? Not. My headphone jack wasn't working. I downloaded the above driver and Vista found it, installed it and now everything works! Thanks for the help.

Ok, i tried this too. I have a Dell Inspiron 9200. This driver didn't fix my headphone jack problem, and also I have no control over the subwoofer.

If anyone knows how to fix my problem, please reply. Cheers!

Saturday, September 16, 2006 2:11 PM
  • so, this is what worked for me.  first, completely uninstall the sound card through the device manager.  don't let windows reinstall it either.  next, download the dell driver, and right click on the file, selecting "properties".  click on the "compatibility" tab along the top of the properties window, and from the "compatibility mode" drop down menu, select windows xp sp2.  click ok at the bottom.  then, just to be sure, right click on the file and run it as an administrator.  finally, make sure the sigmatel installer does all the work.  don't let windows handle it.  hopefully, this is something that gets fixed, because this is a pretty irritating issue, and has been bothering me all day, until fixing it now.  hopefully, this works for you too.  
    Monday, September 18, 2006 8:19 PM
  •  

Nice one Aegies!. Thats totally sorted it for me. I can now use headphones and the woofer has kicked in. Altho theres no level adjuster for the woofer, its beefy enough as it is.

I just got to try blag my headphones back off my girlfriend now.. eek. cheers man!!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 1:13 PM
  • I have a Dell inspiron 600 and had the problem with the mic jack not working.

I tried everything mentioned above and nothing worked but I have found a solution when installing the new driver doesn't work -

Download the .exe file from dell (the one in the op) BUT don't click on it.

right click on the file and use winzip to extract the files.

Go to the Driver properties for the Sigma Tel C-Major Pro audio device in device manager - click on update driver

Use the option to find the Drivers yoursef and browse to the folder you unzipped the driver files to. Vista will then update the device and it should work   - well it did for me when nothing else did!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:41 PM
  • I'm running Vista RC2 on a Dell Latitude D600.  While I was able to get a sound driver working when I updated the device automatically through the internet, the headphones jack didn't work.  I've tried downloading the XP drivers to no avail.  Anyone else had success with the specific hardware mentioned?
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:02 AM
  • A sincere thank you to you all for the information and guides.  If you didn't take the time to post people like me would be scuppered.
    Friday, October 27, 2006 3:42 PM
  • Thanks for all the posts but I have tried all of these solutions with no success. I have a Latitude D810. Headphones don't work. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Friday, October 27, 2006 6:55 PM
  • I have an Inspiron 6400 and headphones do not work despite installation of latest SigmaTel driver.
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:07 AM
  • Headphones don't work here too. :(
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:05 PM
  • I followed your recommendations but the headphones on my Dell Inspiron 6400 still do not work. Any suggestion from anybody?

It seems that Microsoft has removed many built-in drivers support from Vista in its entirety.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:49 PM
  • I've got the Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, and tried everything above, numerous times and for all variations, but to no avail (no sound through the headphone).  What finally worked for my Sigmatel C-Major was the Realtek AC'97 XP drivers (I've read bad things about their Vista beta drivers).  I uninstalled my existing drivers, and ran the realtek install program in XP SP2 compatibility as administrator.  Can't remember where I got the drivers, but they are on the realtek site (didn't use that site though as it's so slow).  The install did take a few attempts to work - weird things happened with Vista trying to re-install drivers (old or new I don't know), and the install program hung on at least one occasion.  Also, one time it appeared to work, and then after rebooting there was no sound at all, not even through the internal speakers.  However, I've persisted, and everything now seems fine.  I'm still getting sound through speakers and headphones after several reboots so it all seems to have settled in.  Control panel still reports no information for the jack, and there are no seperate level controls for the jack but it does respond to the master volume level.
    Saturday, November 04, 2006 3:08 PM
  • I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 and my audio connectors did not operate despite many trials of all sorts. I went to the Realtek site (www.realtek.com.tw). Then to their download page. In the paragraph "Windows", I downloaded the Windows 98Gold/98se/Me/2000/XP driver (version A3.94) dated 2006/10/30 (execution file). It is 17,885 KB long and is very very slow to download. Once downloaded, its name comes to WDM_A394. Uninstall the present SigmaTel C-Major Audio driver and then run the WDM_A394 program (as is). Follow the Realtek instructions. After reboot, the audio connectors work.

Sunday, November 05, 2006 8:26 PM
  • I come back to my previous message. Once WDM_A394 downloaded from the Realtek site, just run it. There is no need to uninstall the SigmaTel driver. Just follow the Realtek instructions. After reboot, the audio connectors should work.
    Sunday, November 05, 2006 10:41 PM
  • I installed Vista RC1 and my internal speakers work but if I plug in external headphones or spakers to my Inspiron 2200, no sound. This driver doesn't work. Someone help me...please.
    Tuesday, November 07, 2006 4:46 AM
  • Please see my two last posts. They should help.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 5:37 PM
  •  

Dell D610 - Windows Vista Ultimate

Using the Dell XP driver all you have to do to get the headphone jack to work is to;

1.  Uninstall the device from the Device Mgr and make sure to check DELETE DRIVER option

2.  Reboot

3.  Install XP driver listed in the first message of this thread

4.  Enjoy your audio :)

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 8:12 PM
  • Well... I seem to have found a solution.

I was quite upset that trying the solutions using Dell's Drivers didn't work for me. I had a sneaky suspision (eh, I'm in a rush, forget spelling) about trying to use Microsoft's Windows Update (did it via "Update Driver" and selecting "Search automatically for updated driver software"). Subwoofer works as well as headphones, but I haven't checked the mic (have no way to do that in my current setting).

Make sure when you uninstall the drivers using Device Manager that you select "Delete driver software" (or the option that has something similar to that). ALL of them need to be out of there. I tried this before when I had one of Dell's was still in Vista's driver folder/database (or w/e you want to call it), and it didn't work. Once all are no longer in your system, restart your computer to let all changes take effect. Go to Device manager, and if you computer hasn't already found the "unidentified device", make sure it does. Right-click, select "Update Driver", and "Search automatically blah blah blah". Once it finishes, restart your computer to let all changes take effect.

If this doesn't work, I don't know what else you can do but search the Internet for more ways to solve it. My laptop is an Inspiron 9300, btw.

Good luck and I hope this works for you. I know I'm just overjoyed to hear my music with that nice deep boom or via the jack with my uber nice headphones. =D

Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:28 PM
  • Deal all, thanks a lot for all your inputs, unfortuantely none has worked for me so far.

when i install the realtecAc97, it said it did not pass the windows compatiability test and there is a problem installing this hardware.....

my laptop is inspironn 2200, windows xp..

any suggestions?

thanks a lot!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:21 AM
  •  

I am using the SigmaTel Audio driver for the Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S2110 on my Dell Latitude D810 and the Headphones jack works fine in stereo.  The Details of the driver are:

Driver  - SigmaTel STAC9753 Codec  - LIFEBOOK S2110
    Title: SigmaTel STAC9753
      Date: 15.04.2005
    Size: 2,7 MB
    Version: 5.10.4469.0  
    Manufacturer: SigmaTel
      Language: Supports all languages
      Operating systems: Windows XP Professional
    Windows XP Home
    Windows 2000 Professional
      Use in the following products: LIFEBOOK S2110

It's available from the support section of the Fujitsu Siemens website: http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/support/downloads_1.html

Hope this helps.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 8:46 AM
  • DELL have finally released official drivers for Windows Vista and the DELL Latitude D610 laptop

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=LAT_PNT_PM_D610&os=WLH&osl=EN

However to solve this problem i simply installed the older version Windows XP driver available here http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R90052.EXE and my Headphone socket worked just fine as did all other audio functionality. 

Just make sure you turn your auto updates off so Windows doesnt download and install the latest version til we know it works 100%

Saturday, December 09, 2006 6:18 PM
  • Aegies this worked perfectly. Great job. I am only going to add one detail, something that confused me for about a minute: The file that you need to adjust the compatibilty mode on is Setup.exe and is locate for me at C:\DELL\drivers\R99254\. Good luck to everyone.
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 4:20 PM
  •  InuLink X wrote:

Well... I seem to have found a solution.

I was quite upset that trying the solutions using Dell's Drivers didn't work for me. I had a sneaky suspision (eh, I'm in a rush, forget spelling) about trying to use Microsoft's Windows Update (did it via "Update Driver" and selecting "Search automatically for updated driver software"). Subwoofer works as well as headphones, but I haven't checked the mic (have no way to do that in my current setting).

Make sure when you uninstall the drivers using Device Manager that you select "Delete driver software" (or the option that has something similar to that). ALL of them need to be out of there. I tried this before when I had one of Dell's was still in Vista's driver folder/database (or w/e you want to call it), and it didn't work. Once all are no longer in your system, restart your computer to let all changes take effect. Go to Device manager, and if you computer hasn't already found the "unidentified device", make sure it does. Right-click, select "Update Driver", and "Search automatically blah blah blah". Once it finishes, restart your computer to let all changes take effect.

If this doesn't work, I don't know what else you can do but search the Internet for more ways to solve it. My laptop is an Inspiron 9300, btw.

Good luck and I hope this works for you. I know I'm just overjoyed to hear my music with that nice deep boom or via the jack with my uber nice headphones. =D

InuLink, you are a genius. LOL I followed your steps above and now my 9300 has sound through the headphone jack again. It'll be great to be able to use my headset again with Teamspeak. Thnx for the solution.

Friday, February 09, 2007 7:20 AM
  • thanks tom u saved my day hear is my email addres brisk123@hotmail.co.uk
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:29 PM
  • I have a similar problem......
    I downgraded my gateway mt6451 laptop to winxp pro sp2 (this notebook had vista installed by default), i have problems searching a driver for sigmatel STAC-9250 audio device. this device be incorporated with a ati radeon xpress 200g amd hammer chipset on a gateway motherboard. i tried to install 5.x drivers(for winxp) and works for a moment and then , the drivers die. i tried with 6.x drivers (vista) too, but don't work.

help please....:(
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:01 AM
  •  

Shane,

I have read thru other posts that the headphones will indeed work.   Disable the mute thru the audio device properties located in the control panel, sound applet. Hope that works for you.

- lammy

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:05 PM
  • After searching high and low i finally ran into your post thank you it worked great. I can finally hear my Audio now. I still have a problem with my SD Card Reader every time i insert it for some reason it gives me a Code 10 error i can hear the sound when i insert it but i have a yellow ? mark on the side when i go into my hardware devices. When i try upgrading it for some reason it says no better version found. I also uninstall it to reinstall it but still same problem . Does any one have a solution for this any hardware device i would have to download. Thank You
    Monday, May 21, 2007 5:23 PM

• i have the same Dell 6400 laptop. I didn't like Vista, tried it for a few months, so decided to install my licensed version of XP. when installing XP fresh i was told by Dell support over the phone that i could delete the partitions, except for C: of course. Did that, and once it installed, in device manager i get three "base device" errors, a PCI device error, and network controller error.

There is no audio at all. The codecs and everything are fine, in the device manager there are no errors on sound, but in control panel - sound devices, it says there are none installed.There's no mixer at all. I tried this Realtek download and nothing. ive tried all the drivers from the Dell site....nothing. I tried the driver CD that came with Vista out of desparation, but nothing.

this is most frustrating. any ideas? i have the Sigmatel 9200 for Audio, ATI Radeon x1400 for Video.

thanks!
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:16 PM
  • To get Audio working you need to install MS High Definition Audio drivers from KB888111, before installing the audio drivers.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

This patch is available in the Dell Modem driver (R114200.EXE) for Inspiron 6400 etc

Download R114200.EXE, extract it using WinZip or similar, run KB888111.exe

However I think you need to rebuild your system from scratch to get above Audio solution working.  Try below steps.

Build with XP

Install KB888111.exe

Install latest Intel Chipset software/drivers (from Intel website, currently v8.3.0.1013)

Install all remaining devices/drivers

To aid installing drivers, you could download a very useful tool (spdrvscn)

This tool scans folders to find drivers, and then inserts the drivers locations into the registry so Windows can find them.

(info at http://www.vernalex.com/tools/spdrvscn/)

Good luck with it.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 6:43 PM
  • I have an Inspiron 6000.  After reading all the above possible solutions, I simple deleted the driver which was then automatically reinstalled and hey presto I now have sound through my headphones.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:52 PM
  • i downloaded and tried to install the driver but got the following error message plz help

Error Code: -5006 : 0x80030005
    Error Information:
    >Kernel\CABFile.cpp (751)
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1329)
    PAPP:C-Major Audio Driver and Applications
    PVENDORTongue TiedigmaTel (http://www.SigmaTel.com)
    PGUID:A462213D-EED4-42C2-9A60-7BDD4D4B0B17
    $10.0.0.159
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.6000.16473

Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:39 AM
  • Thanks alot Aegies!

Totally worked right away.

Much appreciated for your help.

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:13 PM
  •  aegies wrote:
    so, this is what worked for me.  first, completely uninstall the sound card through the device manager.  don't let windows reinstall it either.  next, download the dell driver, and right click on the file, selecting "properties".  click on the "compatibility" tab along the top of the properties window, and from the "compatibility mode" drop down menu, select windows xp sp2.  click ok at the bottom.  then, just to be sure, right click on the file and run it as an administrator.  finally, make sure the sigmatel installer does all the work.  don't let windows handle it.  hopefully, this is something that gets fixed, because this is a pretty irritating issue, and has been bothering me all day, until fixing it now.  hopefully, this works for you too.  

This worked great for me! Awesome, thanks... the only thing was when I tried it first it didn't work. So I went back to the setup's properties, and also made the same changes for the settings of ALL USERS - which is also in the properties of the file - and then ran the setup and that's when it worked.
    Friday, September 14, 2007 9:34 PM
  • Does anyone know what will work for the same problem but on a Dell Inspiron 1521?  I downloaded xp pro 2pack because of consistent problems with Vista and now I have no sound?  I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:22 PM
  • When I tried to download this it said that something wasn't present. Does anyone know why this might have happened?

Thanx.

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:44 PM
  •  aegies wrote:
    so, this is what worked for me.  first, completely uninstall the sound card through the device manager.  don't let windows reinstall it either.  next, download the dell driver, and right click on the file, selecting "properties".  click on the "compatibility" tab along the top of the properties window, and from the "compatibility mode" drop down menu, select windows xp sp2.  click ok at the bottom.  then, just to be sure, right click on the file and run it as an administrator.  finally, make sure the sigmatel installer does all the work.  don't let windows handle it.  hopefully, this is something that gets fixed, because this is a pretty irritating issue, and has been bothering me all day, until fixing it now.  hopefully, this works for you too.  

Totally worked out well for me ! Thanks alot, new to Vista and been struggling with this for ages ! I suggest that whatever model you have, download the driver for "XP Sp2" and follow the same instructions above. It worth a try anyway.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:46 AM
  • I downloaded the above-referenced driver. However, I want to check and ask if this will work on my Dell Inspiron E1405 Media Center Edition notebook with Windows XP OS. If it will work, that will be great. But please note that I do not have Vista. Even if this driver will work for me, I still have a serious problem with Philips CD/DVD software (error msg. corrupted or missing driver--can't solve that problem.)

HISTORY OF PROBLEM(S)

The internal CD/DVD drive stopped working. I bought a Lacie external drive that was supposed to be plug-and-play. Didn't work. Have to return it.

The problem as I see it (intermediate skills):

CD/DVD Philips software stopped functioning, error message: due to corrupted or missing driver. Tried updating driver. Failed. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, using Device Manager. No progress. Tried downloading driver from Dell and able to do so. Installed. Same failure/error message. Retried download several times.

Volume icon stopped appearing in taskbar, so went to Control Panel>Sounds>Speech and Audio Devices and got message that needed to go to Add or Remove Programs in order to get volume icon to appear in taskbar. (Voice playback, Default device SigmaTelAudio Volume

error message: Windows cannot execute SndVol32.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel to install.) Could not make sense of that.

Thought maybe I had a Windows Component problem, but cannot activate more components since don't have functioning CD/DVD drive, into which to insert Dell WXP SP2 installation disk and not knowledgeable enough to browse to location for designated file.

Trolling through programs on C drive, looking for a way to solve problems. Came upon SigmaTel Audio Blaster... and installed from programs file. Then went to Speech and Audio Devices>SigmaTel and got msg. SigmaTel audio driver is inaccessible. Please make sure it is installed and enabled. Program does show in Add or Remove Programs (Sigmatel v.5.10.5210.0).

Checked systems in Computer Manager and found one unrelated disabled service (disabled by Dell program that I have removed), and enabled that system. No disabled systems showing (went through them one by one).

So now don't have Philips CD/DVD software with uncorrupted driver (went to their site and they don't provide the one I need. Dell driver does not work.). Went to Sigmatel site and got message that I must get needed drivers from OEM Dell.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marian

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:23 AM
  • how do you get the bass and trebel controlls to work? they are not highlighted or not availalbe. what's the trick. i get too much bass in my sound through my speakers.

Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:16 PM
  • how do i activate the bass and trebel controls. i got to much bass and not enough trebel going. the bass and trebel check boxes are not available to click on and change. i used the link above and it worked just too much bass

Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:22 PM
  •  aegies wrote:

Did this on a Dell Precision M70 and it worked ... thanks Man! Was beating my head for a while there, but this worked!

Saturday, September 27, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Let's Take this One Step Further When you Uninstall the driver, check mark erase the driver also, then make the driver compatible with windows XP SP2 and install The Driver. It should work, Because it worked for me. You will then have sound in the Headphones jack. 

Saturday, November 08, 2008 8:02 PM
  • thanks very thanks, this drive I search for all web, you have solution my problem
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:56 PM
  • I have a DELL XPS M1210, with Windows XP.
    Will this driver work on my laptop?
    My sound card is cutting in & out when playing a song, video, etc.  Could it be the driver?  or incompatible software?
    I can't find a reference to this problem.
    Help????
    Monday, February 02, 2009 1:51 AM
  •  Dell Latitude D610 SIGMATEL STAC 975X AC97 Driver A02:
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Dell-Latitude-D610-SIGMATEL-STAC-975X-AC97-Driver-A02-Download-69924.html

This driver works no problem.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:27 PM
  • fantastic help dude . now help me for pci modem driver for dell Inspiron 2200
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Thanks for the link the folks at DELL wanted me to install net frame then 3.1 installer.  here I am replacing video cards cpu's hard drives and the flippin sound gets in the way of me collecting my 20 dollars I spent 8 hours working to get.

Thanks for the link!
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:58 AM
  • thanks Joe - this works on Windows 7 just tried it!
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:57 AM
  • :-( this is fine for XP but is there a version for VISTA?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:52 PM
  • thank you so much for the dell sound card info fixed my prob
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:22 PM
  • so, this is what worked for me.  first, completely uninstall the sound card through the device manager.  don't let windows reinstall it either.  next, download the dell driver, and right click on the file, selecting "properties".  click on the "compatibility" tab along the top of the properties window, and from the "compatibility mode" drop down menu, select windows xp sp2.  click ok at the bottom.  then, just to be sure, right click on the file and run it as an administrator.  finally, make sure the sigmatel installer does all the work.  don't let windows handle it.  hopefully, this is something that gets fixed, because this is a pretty irritating issue, and has been bothering me all day, until fixing it now.  hopefully, this works for you too.  

Came across this forum by accident. Am I glad I did? After upgrading from XP to Windows  7 I had no sound/audio. Tried loads of different sound drivers.
    Found one that worked, but it kept crashing. because it wasn't compatible with my motherboard.  Now thanks to your advice all is well.

PS: follow aegies instructions. If you don't the  driver wont work.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:48 PM
  • That was awesome this was a chance link I reinstalled xp had a cd for apps and drivers but it did'nt work but the drivers were corrupted. thanx's  
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:43 AM
  • I managed to Get the D410 Audio Drivers for Windows 7. I was very happy, blogged it so I don't forget nextime I reload windows on the D410 Dell D410 Windows 7 Audio Drivers for Multimedia Audio Controller
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:50 AM
  •           I have a 2005 edition 0f a Dell Inspiron 9300 with winxp home premium & upgraded to win7 home premium. Had sound on xp & after upgrade to win7 no sound all, downloaded the R99254.exe file audio link above several times & every time it will give an error 40 after the download.what do I do the fix this problem. Every thing else works fine. This is my only problem.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Link to Dell’s R99254 Sigmatel AC97 v5.10.4255 Audio driver

(HTTP site – verified working link)

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R99254.EXE

enjoy!
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:16 AM

there's no Vista-specific edition of the Sigmatel 975x AC97 Audio driver, swedishalan.  the Win2k/XP Sigmatel AC97 sound driver from Dell's R99254 package should work okay under Vista/Win7, although some Vista/Win7 users may have to run the Sigmatel AC97 Audio driver setup program in XP Compatibility mode to properly install the drivers.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:20 PM

there's no Vista-specific edition of the Sigmatel 975x AC97 Audio driver, swedishalan.  the Win2k/XP Sigmatel AC97 sound driver from Dell's R99254 package should work okay under Vista/Win7, although some Vista/Win7 users may have to run the Sigmatel AC97 Audio driver setup program in XP Compatibility mode to properly install the drivers.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:20 PM
  • if anybody knows how to search hard for a working program, its definately this guy. hey man i just wanna say thanks. downloaded the wrong software and ran into this site later on that day.... really I appreciate this.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:54 AM
  • This was SO helpful, thanks for posting!
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Yes, it worked with my Inspiron 9300 perfectly.

Many Thanks!

Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:07 AM
  • After doing some digging, I finally  found the sound driver that works on my DELL Latitude D610. 

It also works on:

Inspiron- 6000, 93000, 9200, 2200, 1200, XPS Gen 2

Latitude- D610, D810, 110L, D510, D410, X1

Precision- M20, M70

Computers- MXG051

This should help other Dell users as well.  God help us all.......

Here's the link:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/audio/R99254.EXE

this driver realy works well thanx joeyou saved me a lot of time

Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Thank you. This was exactly what I needed when I needed a fix in a hurry for my son's Dell Latitude D610. Works great and was very easy to install all components. Classes will go on!!!
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Thanks! Worked for me for a Dell Latitude D510 Laptop with Win 7 Pro!
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Thanks. Greate. I works fine in My M70 and Win7 Ultimate. I did search these over five hours, before I found this.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:54 PM
  • installation error :(
    Friday, October 29, 2010 12:36 PM
  • joe, thanks for posting this link,i accidentally on purpose deleted this to try and fix ashut down problem [it didnt]went to cnet, the down load there wouldnt complete do to windows non validation,this put audio back to xp pro latitude d810 specs. back on line thanks again, regards willygt
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:08 AM
  • BIG Thank-you!!!! I could not find this sound driver anywhere on the Dell site.
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:04 AM
  • I can see that this audio from Dell is really a source of problem upgrading to Windows 7.

I found a different compatible RealTEK driver to fix this issue using a true Windows 7 Driver.

Download this RealTEK driver from CNET. It is free

http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-AC-97-Driver-Windows-Vista-Windows-7/3000-2120_4-10962344.html

Unzip the file to a directory locally.

Go to Device Manager and right click the audio device you are having a problem with > click Update Driver Software > click Browse my computer for driver software. Point to the directory where you unzip the RealTEK driver you download. It should install the driver now called RealTek AC'97 Audio.

Goodluck!

• Proposed as answer by Van Vangor Friday, August 17, 2012 2:13 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Thanks it worked on windows 7 Ulitimate.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Please help,

I have a dell D610 and i installed fresh windows XP and have no speaker sound. I downloaded the sigmatel c major audio from the dell website and it downloaded the sound icons etc but there is still no sound from the speakers. I checked the headphones and there is sound but no sound from the inbuilt speakers.

Does it mean anything wrong with the speakers or some drivers etc are missing. Please help

Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Awesome aegies
    • Proposed as answer by IR8D8R Monday, March 05, 2012 12:12 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, Lindma!  It worked great for me.

I setup my D610 with a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x86 w/SP1 and all patches from Microsoft.  Of course, the sound card was an unrecognized device that showed up under "other devices" within Device Manager.

I had had a boatload of problems with the SigmaTel sound driver back under Windows XP where the sound suddenly stopped working, so I was dreading going back to that crappy driver from Dell.

Instead, I tried the Realtek AC'97 Windows Vista/7 driver suggested by Lindma, and it worked great.  I used the following procedure:

• Download the driver from http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-AC-97-Driver-Windows-Vista-Windows-7/3000-2120_4-10962344.htm
    • Extract the zip file.
    • Open Device Manager
    • Right-click on the "Other Devices -> Multimedia Audio Controller" device and select "Update Driver Software"
    • Browse to zip folder and select it.
    • Driver is not signed, so you have to override the default settings and install it anyway.
    • No reboot required.
    • Sound starts working right away.

I hope that this helps other poor saps that are struggling with the sound card on the Dell Latitude D610 under Windows 7.

See Ya!
    Van

Venice, FL, USA

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:25 PM
  • thanks a lot for this article

you save my poor life, i was transforming me in a beast because i couldn't fint these drivers when you arrived with your solution and......by ftp

God exists, thanks again

greetings from Spain

Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:00 AM