none
shared printer won't print

Question

•  

I have three vista systems networked.  One has the printer directly attached through USB, it's an HP LJ 1600.

The desktop that the printer is attached to can print without issue.

My Notebook prints to the printer without issue

The second notebook will not print to the vista printer, the print job shows up in the printer job list as "printing" and I can't cancel, delete or do anything to remove that job.

The funny part is, if I restart the print spooler service on the desktop the job goes through.

I really don't understand why two of the three systems print fine, but the third in order for the jobs to print, i always have to manually restart the printer spooler on the host computer that is sharing the printer.

I'm using the latest drivers from HP and have reinstalled the printer many times and tried many settings.

The only other thing that I figure that I'd mention is that when I try to disable print spooling on the host, by putting a check next to "print directly to printer" on the Advanced tab, it gives the error:

Printer settings could not be saved.  Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000070c)

Any ideas?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hello Ryan,

To troubleshoot spooler related issue, we may need some steps to narrow down the problem’s scope. It’s recommended to perform a clean boot on the involved client, as the first step:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Let us know the result if possible.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:15 AM
  •  

I followed that guide and I'm still having problems.  I even did a full OS reinstall of Vista on the notebook that could not print.

I figured I might reinstall my OS on my desktop as a last resort, but that doesn't explain why my second notebook prints fine.

I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:58 AM
  • Hello,

Before troubleshooting this issue on the Windows Vista-based desktop, we’d better to narrow down the problem’s scope again.

1.    Pause the printer on the desktop. (Printers – Right-click involved printer – Pause Printing)

2.    On problematic client side, make a simple text file with Notepad, print to printer connected to desktop.

3.    Check if the print job has been sent to desktop. (On desktop, Printers – double-click involved printer)

If the job has been sent successfully at once, the root cause of this issue may be from desktop side. Otherwise, we may need to check the LAN connectivity.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:22 AM
  • the desktop is receiving the print job

anyway, i gave up and formatted back to xp and printing works fine now

Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:31 AM
  • Yes I have the same problem. you formated but I can't Sad as that is my boss laptop. Please if somebody know this problem help me.

Actually the problem which  I am facing is that,

the printer is connected to print server. That is the same printer HP Color Laser Jet 1600, I installed on other laptops containing windows vista, but only his laptop is having this problem. He is trying to print but it didn't. The print goes to printer showing printing and then it gives an error and removes the printout from the printer.

And user (my boss) he said that if he prints one document 20 times then it is printing only once.

Please if somebody has any solution share with me.

Thankyou

A. Ghafoor

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:08 PM
  •  

I have same situation here. 2 Vista Clients connected to 3rd Vista which has shared the LJ1600. I have to restart print spooler always when I want someting out (what's prented from Vista Client). Systems were running fine with XP. So I think that there must be something with (un)interoperability/(un)compatibility with LJ 1600 Drivers and Vista Print Spooler.

I quess there will be no solution without separate network print server:

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1205533953621+28353475&threadId=1182675

T.omi

Friday, March 14, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Since you posted this entry many months ago, I assume you either found an answer or got a new printer. I will post a reply anyway because other people may have the same problem and need an answer still. I wrote a blog entry on how to fix this problem: http://www.tittle-tattle.org/?cat=19
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:58 AM