none
Vista - Bootmgr is Missing

Question

• I've viewed several threads re: Bootmgr is missing. None have helped. My laptop uses Vista Home Premium with the recovery disk on the drive if you press and hold F8 during startup. I was able to get there once, I tried the fix system and it bonked the whole system further. I followed advice to download another copy of Vista to create a boot disk - this worked. I was able to start the pc from the disk and followed all of the bootrec prompts and still nothing has worked. The bootmgr has still not worked. I even tried to do the whole list partition sequence. Nothing. What is next?
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 4:28 PM

Answers

• If you're receiving the message "BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message? Don't stress! Its easier to fix

than you think. Here's how:

SOLUTION 1 :

- Get your Vista installation DVD and pop it into your drive.
    - Then restart your computer.
    - Set your computer to boot from DVD or CD in your BIOS.

Vista will ask you for language and keyboard layout information, after which you will be asked if you want to re-install

Vista or repair your existing installation.
    Select Repair. After which Vista's System Recovery Tool will start.

For more Info on bootmgr is missing

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:34 PM

All replies

• Here are all the steps to resolve the Bootmgr missing error message. I know you’ve tried some of them, but do run them all again:

Boot from the Windows DVD or a repair CD (you may have to change the first boot device to CD/DVD in the BIOS), answer a few questions, select the Repair option in the bottom left corner and choose:

1. Startup Repair (you may have to run it several times).

2. If the above doesn't cure the problem, go back to the Repair Option and this time choose Command Prompt, then type these 4 commands (in all instances the capitals are for clarity only):
    BOOTREC /FIXMBR and press Enter
    BOOTREC /FIXBOOT and press Enter.
    BOOTREC /SCANOS and press Enter.
    BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD and press Enter.

3. If it’s not successful or you receive ‘No operating system found’ or ‘Element not found’ messages, go back to the Command Prompt and make the partition active by typing these commands:
    DISKPART and press Enter.
    LIST DISK and press Enter.
    SELECT DISK N and press Enter (N represents the disk you want).
    LIST PARTITION and press Enter.
    SELECT PARTITION N and press Enter (N represents the partition you want).
    ACTIVE and press Enter.
    EXIT and press Enter.

Now go back to 1 above and run it again, perhaps run 2 as well.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 2:03 PM
  • After running Startup Repair I receive the following message.

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions.

Two Options - Send information about this problem (recommended)

- Don't send

Attached details have an event name (StartupRepairV2) and several Signatures - 1.ExternalMedia, 2. 6.0.60000.16386.0.0.0.0, 3. 0, 4. 65537, 5. unknown, 6. MissingBootManager, 7. 0, 8. 2,9. WrRepair, 10. 21, OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1, and Local ID: 1033.

I'll go thru step 2 again, but I've done this at least 6 times now.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 2:36 PM
  • On partition mode:

List disk - options Disk 0 (online, size-233gb, free-1528 gb) or Disk 1 (No Media, size-0, free-0)

Select Disk N, N=0 I would assume

List partition - Partition 1, Type-Primary, Size-11 gb, Offset-32 kb, Partition 2, Type-Primary, Size-222 gb, Offset-11gb

I've tried Partition 1 before - it didn't have enough memory, I've also tried Partition 2 - but I will do so again.

Bootrec /fixmbr - msg "The operation completed successfully."

Bootrec /fixboot - msg "The operation completed successfully."

Bootrec /scanos - msg "Scanning all disks for Windows installations.  /  Please wait, since this may take a while... / Successfully scanned Windows installations.  /  Total identified Windows installations: 0  / The operation completed successfully."

Bootrec /rebuildbcd - msg "Scanning all disks for Windows installations.  / Please wait, since this may take a while... / Successfully scanned Windows installations.  /  Total identified Windows installations: 0  / The operation completed successfully."

Now - I'm doing this all on the C: prompt, not the partition D:  is that correct?

I've now run Startup Repair 6 times and I'm getting the same errors I previously reported.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:23 PM
  •              Hi,

This issue occurs when the bootmgr is not installed on the hard drive that windows is installed. When you are trying to boot to windows, the one without bootmgr.

To resolve the issue, either unplug the hard disk with window and replug it as the first priority on BIOS or copy bootmgr from another computer and paste it on the windows hard disk.

For more information, please refer to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasetup/thread/e6e2399c-746a-4d45-8b77-dc6e89fd9409

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 07, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Does the Bootmgr file have to be from a Vista system?  I only have Windows 7 or XP available.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Does the Bootmgr file have to be from a Vista system?  I only have Windows 7 or XP available.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

It also applies to Windows 7 and XP.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, January 10, 2011 2:27 AM
  • His question is whether or not a Win7/XP Bootmgr will work in place of a Vista Bootmgr, not if it applies to Win7 or XP as it appears his XP and Win7 machines work.

I'll phrase it a little better: Do you have to replace a Vista Bootmgr with another Vista Bootmgr, or can a working Win7/XP Bootmgr work as well?

-I Don't Need A Signature-
    Monday, January 10, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, "I followed advice to download another copy of Vista to create a boot disk - this worked", where did you download the copy. You can use this one.

Regards,

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:12 AM
  • On partition mode:

List disk - options Disk 0 (online, size-233gb, free-1528 gb) or Disk 1 (No Media, size-0, free-0)

Select Disk N, N=0 I would assume

List partition - Partition 1, Type-Primary, Size-11 gb, Offset-32 kb, Partition 2, Type-Primary, Size-222 gb, Offset-11gb

I've tried Partition 1 before - it didn't have enough memory, I've also tried Partition 2 - but I will do so again.

Bootrec /fixmbr - msg "The operation completed successfully."

Bootrec /fixboot - msg "The operation completed successfully."

Bootrec /scanos - msg "Scanning all disks for Windows installations.  /  Please wait, since this may take a while... / Successfully scanned Windows installations.  /  Total identified Windows installations: 0  / The operation completed successfully."

Bootrec /rebuildbcd - msg "Scanning all disks for Windows installations.  / Please wait, since this may take a while... / Successfully scanned Windows installations.  /  Total identified Windows installations: 0  / The operation completed successfully."

Now - I'm doing this all on the C: prompt, not the partition D:  is that correct?

I've now run Startup Repair 6 times and I'm getting the same errors I previously reported.

As I've done all of these procedures several times, can someone tell me what it is supposed to do?  Should the " Total identified Windows installations: 0 " be more than "0"?  The rest of the answers and link have not helped.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 7:57 PM
  • At this point, if there was a way to reload Vista I would.  However, the boot disk was on the laptop F8, and I'm currently using a backup disk I downloaded online.  Since I downloaded the boot disk I don't have the Product Key to match and it won't let me use my OEM Product Key.

If anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it. 

Monday, January 17, 2011 3:02 AM
  • So, what have you done so far?  Assuming you haven't done anything to the HDD, and you have a disc with the Vista Recovery Console (or some other means of accessing VRC), then you might want to check out step 3, or 4 of this link:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

-I Don't Need A Signature-
    Monday, January 17, 2011 11:18 PM
  • If you're receiving the message "BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message? Don't stress! Its easier to fix

than you think. Here's how:

SOLUTION 1 :

- Get your Vista installation DVD and pop it into your drive.
    - Then restart your computer.
    - Set your computer to boot from DVD or CD in your BIOS.

Vista will ask you for language and keyboard layout information, after which you will be asked if you want to re-install

Vista or repair your existing installation.
    Select Repair. After which Vista's System Recovery Tool will start.

For more Info on bootmgr is missing

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Solution #3 save my installation of Win7 !!!

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:34 PM