none
explorer shows wrong information and disk manger shows correct partition size

Question

•  

I recently changed my partition sizes because i was running out of space(go figure windows Vista Ultimate pig) my old partition sizes were 25GB =OS,  68GB =DATA on a 100gb hdd. i switched them around to give the os more room

now it is configured such as

62.GB =OS,  30GB =DATA

I open explorer it reports that nothing has changed it still shows 25GB =OS,  68GB =DATA

i open disk manager and it reports that the changes are there 62.GB =OS,  30GB =DATA

I'm a little baffled I use ARconis like i have a thousand other times but i've never seen this problem ever on any OS that i have done. which tells me there is an obvious problem.

the system even reports that the disk space is low. 

any ideas would be appreciated.

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Using incompatible disk repartition tool may cause unexpected result. I recommend you to check the compatibility information of the tool you used in the following website:

http://www.appreadiness.com/

Let us know the result if possible.

Besides, to prevent potential loss, you may need to backup important data in the hard disk, as the repartitioned HDD may be in unstable status.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:30 AM
  •  

yes it is compatable it's listed as compatable on the microsoft web site. and points to the acronis web site as well.

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirectorsuite/comparison

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Hi Dan,

As the issue you described may be a little specific. Before we go further in this case, please let us know the following information:

1.    The information of your computer, including the model of motherboard and hard disk.

2.    The version and exact name of repartition tool you used. (I’ve tried the link you provided but got a “Requested page not found” page.)

Additionally, try to adapter repartition the disk using Disk Management built-in feature:

Note: Please backup important data before these tests.

1.    Window + R, and then type diskmgmt.msc, press Enter.

2.    Right-click C: rectangle and select Shrink Volume

3.    Specify a value to shrink some space from Partition C. (A tiny change is enough.)

4.    Right-click D: rectangle and select Extend Volume…

5.    Let D: occupy the space shrunk from Partition C.

Let us know the result if possible.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:15 AM
  • the motherboard is in an Dell inspiron 6000,  Hitachi hts721010g9at00 100GB HDD

I have already tried to resize disk management it isgreying out the options to resize and for that matter once in the resize option the up/down arrows are also greyed out. I know the drive works fine because it was my swap disk for my laptop when working on site at any customers. it basically contained my LAN tools, windows XP.

as for sys specs

2 GB ram

ATI 300X

2.4 GHZ processor cintrino

100 GB HDD

From what i know and have seen this is a major issue. about the only thing i haven't tried was to reverese the partition expansion. and yes i have my important files on a backpack drive so i'm not too worried about losing my data only my applications installed all 25 GB of applications.

But on the other side as a technician I think this is a very serious issue that should be resolved. with out having to reload since it is NTFS and it may be possible that another server or vista client might have the same issue and that is not a simple task for a customer. who is using a server 

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:33 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Still, we may need the exact name and version of the repartition tool. Without that, we may be difficult to go further in this case.

Cheers,

Lionel

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:48 AM
  •  

the version would be the latest release which is accessed from the acronis downloads sectionwhich is version 10.0 build 2,160.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 7:53 AM
  • Hello.

Was this issue ever resolved?  I am having a similar issue with Windows Server 2008 and would appreciate hearing what the solution was.  Thanks.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Hello.

Was this issue ever resolved?  I am having a similar issue with Windows Server 2008 and would appreciate hearing what the solution was.  Thanks.

Here's a tutorial of "How to Resize A Partition?"

Similar issues can be resolved...

• Edited by kelly_l Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:20 AM link added
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:19 AM