none
Windows 7 SP 1 install with error 0x80070643: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932).

    Question

  • Has anyone seen this error: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932). This is from Windows Updates.

    I've also downloaded the SP1 directly with no successful installation

    I've done an SFC /Scannow now with no errors also installed and run System Update Readiness Too for win 7 X64 KB947821..

    I've also deleted downloads in the softwaredistribution folder and re-registered the wuapi.dll 

    Apart from the eventvwr, whcih isnt overly helpful, what logs can determine where the issue lies and what can I do to resolve?

    Appreciate any input!

    Thanks :-)


    • Edited by CMD104 Monday, August 27, 2012 5:56 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 5:54 PM

Answers

  • Hi, thanks, you pointed me in almost the right direction.... I repaired .net as you suggested and although this didnt quite fix the problem, I subsequently discovered that the WMI service was corrupt and so I've repaired the WMI service.

    It seems that a combination of this has resolved the issue. I am glad to have SP1 installing now as I have wasted 2 days of my life fighting with it :-(

    Monday, August 27, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

  • You might try Method 1 under "Resolution" in the following KB:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982#method1

    It's for .NET Framework updates, but the .MSI corruption fix-it may resolve corruption for other products as well.  I'm not sure.  It's also possible that .NET updates are what are failing during the SP install.

    Monday, August 27, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Hi, thanks, you pointed me in almost the right direction.... I repaired .net as you suggested and although this didnt quite fix the problem, I subsequently discovered that the WMI service was corrupt and so I've repaired the WMI service.

    It seems that a combination of this has resolved the issue. I am glad to have SP1 installing now as I have wasted 2 days of my life fighting with it :-(

    Monday, August 27, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

    That seems your issue has been resolved, and I will mark your reply as an answer, it could help other community members facing similar problems.

    Regards,

    Leo   Huang

    TechNet Subscriber Support

    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.


    Leo Huang

    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:31 AM
    Moderator
  • I found this article and it helped me resolve the same error code with other failing Windows Updates.

    http://techbytesxpress.com/2012/10/10/a-new-official-tool-for-fixing-windows-net-4-framework-problems/

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:55 PM
  • I've had the same error:

    i did chkdsk/sfc/checkup tool, all with no errors. The installation fails after 2 hours at 70%.

    It took me 2 full days to find out that the blocking factor was a huge number of unknown devices under networking.

    They all relate to *6to4mp or the Microsoft ip6 to ip4 adaptor. They did not use any driver.

    I ve had over 250 of those entries. I tried to bulk remove them via the devcon.exe tool, but got an eror, unable to remove (the same error as in the service pack logs)

    I could manually remove them, but that would take ages (each entry takes over 1 minute to remove), so i tried it the dirty way:

    Use at own riks !!!!

    reboot in safe mode without networking (F8)

    Start REGEDIT.exe

    export the following keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    Now edit them (with notepad or so) and delete all sections containing 6to4mp. (they start probably round \0020\, and are grouped. If you miss a few, it's nothing, we do that manually later...)

    Be sure to delete all sections containing the same number as the section containing the 6 to 4. (like id 0041 contains 6to4mp, delete all adjacent sections above and below containing the same number)

    Save the reg files

    Now go back to regedit and delete the 2keys exported.

    next, double click the 2 reg files, this will reimport the keys (without the 6to4 stuff) You will get a -no access- error, but can ignore that.

    Finally open device manager, goto network adapters (you still will see all the adapters) and delete one unknown device. You'll notice that they all are gone now. (if still some remain, delete them manually)

    now reboot normally and apply the service pack. It worked for me !!!!


    Friday, November 23, 2012 12:15 PM